好 那你看见有人打架没
OK. Did you see some people fighting?
没有
No.
我们在白天和晚上都做了实验
We did at night time and we did it in the daylight.
即使实验是在白天进行
Even when we did it in daylight,
许多人跑过打斗现场却浑然不知
many people ran right past the fight and didn't notice it at all.
跑步时看到不寻常的事了吗
Did you see anything unusual during the run?
没 没什么
No, not really.
好 那你看见有人打架了吗
OK, did you see some people fighting?
没有
No.
-你真的没看见有人打架吗 -没有
- You really didn't see anyone fighting? - No.
如果告诉你错过了你会吃惊吗
Does it surprise you that you would have missed that?
他们在离跑道六米远的地方
They were about 20 feet off the path.
你正从他们面前跑过去
You ran right past them.
-完全没看到 -好
- Completely missed that, then. - OK.
也许康利当时就是这种情况
Maybe what happened to Conley was,
当你专注于某件事情
when you're really paying attention to one thing
在上面花费太多注意力时 你可能
and focusing a lot of mental energy on it, you can miss things
会错过别人觉得很明显的事
that other people are going to think are completely obvious,
事实上
and in fact,
这正是审判康利后陪审团所说的
that's what the jurors said after Conley's trial.
他们说 "我们不相信
They said "We couldn't believe
他会错过这么明显的事"
that he could miss something like that".
这不可能 他肯定在撒谎
It didn't make any sense. He had to have been lying.
这种可能波及我们所有人的可怕现象
It's an unsettling phenomenon called inattentional blindness
叫做无意视盲
that can affect us all.
指观察者不能探测物体或情景所发生变化的现象
有些人说
Some people have said things like
"这让我对自己的大脑丧失信心"
"This shatters my faith in my own mind",
或"现在我不知道该相信什么了"
or, "Now I don't know what to believe",
或"从今往后我会很困扰的"
or, "I'm going to be confused from now on."
但我怀疑
But I'm not sure that
他们这种感觉能持续多久
that feeling really stays with them very long.
他们做完实验后
They are going to go out from the experiment, you know,
去其它他们要去的地方
walk to the next place they're going or something like that
当他们下午走在街上时
and they're going to have just as much inattentional blindness
他们会带着与做实验前
when they're walking down the street
相同的无意盲视
that afternoon as they did before.
本实验揭示了思维的巨大窘境
This experiment reveals a powerful quandary about our minds.
我们很幸运地活在世上
We glide through the world blissfully unaware
对自身无意识的思维却知之甚少
of most of what we do and how little we really know our minds.
尽管思维很了不起
For all its brilliance,
但其中称为自我的那部分十分局限
the part of our mind we call ourselves is extremely limited.
那我们是怎样在复杂的日常生活中
So how do we manage to navigate our way
找到出路的呢
through the complexity of daily life?
每天 我们每个人
Every day, each one of us
要做两千到一万项决策
makes somewhere between two and 10,000 decisions.
若我们审视自己的日常
When you think about our daily lives,
会发现其实都是由许多决策组成
it's really a long, long sequence of decisions.
我们做决策的频率
We make decisions probably at a frequency
和我们呼吸次数相当
that is close to the frequency we breathe.
每分 每秒
Every minute, every second,
你要决定往哪走
you're deciding where to move your legs,
往哪看 手脚怎么动
and where to move your eyes, and where to move your limbs,
什么时候吃饭
and when you're eating a meal,
你在做各种决策
you're making all kinds of decisions.
而我们做大部分决策时
And yet the vast majority of these decisions,
自己甚至意识不到
we make without even realising.
丹尼尔·卡尼曼发现我们的大脑
It was Danny Kahneman's insight that we have two systems
有两套系统用于决策
in the mind for making decisions.
两种思维方式
Two ways of thinking:
快与慢
fast and slow.
我们的大脑有两种工作方式
You know, our mind has really two ways of operating,
一种称之为快思
and one is sort of fast-thinking,
一种不费力的自动模式
an automatic effortless mode,
这也是我们大部分时间所处的模式
and that's the one we're in most of the time.
他称这种快速自动思维模式为系统一
This fast, automatic mode of thinking, he called System 1.
它强大且不费力地指挥我们大部分行为
It's powerful, effortless and responsible for most of what we do.
而系统一大部分时间都在运作
And System 1 is, you know, that's what happens most of the time.
你身处其中 接收来自周围的各种刺♥激♥
You're there, the world around you provides all kinds of stimuli
并对其作出反应
and you respond to them.
所有你看到的 理解的
Everything that you see and that you understand, you know,
那是一棵树 那边是直升机
this is a tree, that's a helicopter back there,
那是自♥由♥女神像
that's the Statue of Liberty.
所有这类视觉接收
All of this visual perception,
都是系统一运作的结果
all of this comes through System 1.
另一种模式缓慢而刻意
The other mode is slow, deliberate,
逻辑与理性并存
logical and rational.
这就是系统二 就是你所认知的自我
This is System 2 and it's the bit you think of as you,
头脑中的声音
the voice in your head.
两种系统都举个最简单例子
The simplest example of the two systems
二加二是一种系统
is really two plus two is on one side,
而十七乘二十四属于另一种
and 17 times 24 is on the other.
-二加二等于几 -四
- What is two plus two? - Four.
-四 -四
- Four. - Four.
迅猛的系统一随时就绪提供即时答案
Fast System 1 is always in gear, producing instant answers.
-二加二是多少 -四
- And what's two plus two? - Four.
数字自然地浮现在脑海里
A number comes to your mind.
-四 -四
- Four. - Four.
四
Four.
它是自动的 你不需要费神
It is automatic. You do not intend for it to happen.
就这么自然 基本是种反射
It just happens to you. It's almost like a reflex.
二十二乘以十七是多少
And what's 22 times 17?
好家伙
That's a good one.
但当我们要在复杂问题上费神时
But when we have to pay attention to a tricky problem,
缓慢而逻辑性的系统二就启动了
we engage slow-but-logical System 2.
要想心算这题
If you can do that in your head,
你就得遵循规则分步解决
you'll have to follow some rules and to do it sequentially.
这可没法自动化
And that is not automatic at all.
你要耗力劳心
That involves work, it involves effort,
全神贯注
it involves concentration.
二十二乘十七
22 times 17?
这期间会有些生理表征
There will be physiological symptoms.
心跳加速 瞳孔放大
Your heart rate will accelerate, your pupils will dilate,
你在计算时
so many changes will occur
会出现许多变化
while you're performing this computation.
三 天呐
Three's...oh, God!
实在...
That's, so...
两百二十 七乘二十二是
220 and seven times 22 is...
五十四 三百七十四吗
54. 374?
-好 你能不能陪我走一会 -好
- OK. And can I get you to just walk with me for a second? - OK.
谁是现任...
Who's the current...?
系统二虽具智慧
System 2 may be clever,
但很缓慢 有局限且懒惰
but it's also slow, limited and lazy.
我夏天住伯克利会经常散步
I live in Berkeley during summers and I walk a lot.
我走很快时就没办法思考了
And when I walk very fast, I cannot think.
-你能以七为减数从一百倒数吗 -可以
- Can I get you to count backwards from 100 by 7? - Sure.
一百 九十三 八十 走动时真不好数
100, 93, 80... It's hard when you're walking.
有趣的是 走路
It takes up, interestingly enough,
也需用到与思考同样的
the same kind of executive function
指令机能
as...as thinking.
四十 四
Fourty...four?
如果你需要做些很耗神的事
If you are expected to do something that demands a lot of effort,
你就会连走路都停下来
you will stop even walking.
八十 六
Eighty...um...six?
五十一
51.
十六
16,
九 二
9, 2?
你思维中所有能意识到的部分
Everything that you're aware of in your own mind
都属于缓慢而刻意的系统二
is part of this slow, deliberative System 2.
在你的认知内 它就是主角
As far as you're concerned, it is the star of the show.
事实上 我不会管系统二叫主角
电影精选列表