一个废弃的电影工作室,一个镜头,和一具尸体,1929年。
A deserted motion picture studio, a shot, and a corpse, the year 1929.
我没有意识到,21年后,这个未破的谋杀案会成为我生活的一部分。
Little did I realize 21 years later, this unsolved murder would become part of my life.
趁我还没忘记,那是我米奇·戴维斯。
Oh, oh, before I forget, that's me Mitch Davis.
我是个探员,那是我儿子。
I'm an agent and that's my son.
那天早上一切都进展正常,开车去机场接拉里·奥布莱恩时,我非常高兴。
Everything was progressing normally that morning and I was happy as a lark as I drove to the airport to pick Larry O'Brien.
这是他在纽约取得成功后的第一次加州之行。
This was his first trip to California after a very successful picture making career in New York.
拉里和我是同学,毕业后分道扬镳,但最终我们都进入了电影行业,拉里是制片人,我是电影人才的经纪人。
Larry and I went to school together and after graduation we went our separate ways, but eventually we both wound up in the picture business, Larry as a producer and me an agent for movie talent.
在我等拉里的时候,我不禁想到他已经成为一个多么成功的制片人了。
As I waited for Larry, I couldn't help but think how successful a producer he had become.
但这对我来说并不奇怪。
But that was no surprise to me.
劳伦斯·奥布莱恩17岁时就已经很成功了,当时我们在高中时一起演《罗密欧与朱丽叶》,演《内战》。
Lawrence O'Brien was already a success at the age of 17, when we did Romeo and Juliet together as Civil War play in high school.
他扮演罗密欧,我娶了朱丽叶。
He played Romeo and I married Juliet.
拉里,我的孩子,很高兴见到你,你好吗?
Larry, my boy, nice to see you, how are you?
很好,米奇。你好吗?
Fine, Mitch. How are you?
看你晒得这么黑,你是怎么做到的?
Look at that tan, how do you do it?
太阳灯。
Sunlamp.
我的朱丽叶和你的孩子们怎么样了?
How's my Juliet and your children?
很好,很好,拉里。
Oh, great, great, Larry.
加州是孩子们的好去处。
California is a great place for kids.
是什么让你最终决定来的?
What made you decide to finally come?
山姆·科利尔想让我在这里拍张照片。
Sam Collyer wants me to make a picture out here.
是啊,我也是这么想的。
Yeah, well I, kind of, thought so.
萨姆资助你拍电影,萨姆喜欢在加州,你在加州拍电影。
Sam financing your pictures, Sam likes it out here in California, you make pictures in California.
每个人都很开心,包括我。
Everybody's happy including me.
我很高兴我们在一起,米奇,就像以前一样。
I'm glad we're together, Mitch, just like old times.
这是我的荣幸。
Oh, it's a pleasure.
我把一切都安排好了。
I got everything all set up.
我给你买♥♥了房♥子,我给你买♥♥了个小♥电♥影♥工作室,现在你想先看什么?
I got you a house, I got you a small motion picture studio, now what do you want to see first?
首先是我在哪里工作,然后是我住在哪里。
First, where I work, then where I live.
让我们看看演播室。
Let's see the studio.
我为拉里想到的地方是拉布雷亚(La Brea)附近的一家老电影制片厂,它已经关门多年了。
The place I had in mind for Larry was an old motion picture studio over on La Brea, which had been closed for years.
过去,他们在那里制♥作♥了一些真正的巨幅画。
In the old days, they had made some of the real big pictures there.
他们在这里只拍无声电影。
They only made silent pictures here.
第一个和最好的,自1915年以来,奥布莱恩先生,威瑟街就是一切,从克朗代克幽灵到威尼斯运河,它是中国城,公园大道,
The first ones and the best ones, ever since 1915, Mr. O'Brien, Weather Street has been everything, from Klondike Ghost to the Canal in Venice, it's been China Town, Park Avenue,
以及巴巴里海岸。
and the Barbary Coast.
你看到那个角落了吗?
Do you see that corner there?
李就在那里向格兰特投降,卡斯特就在那个广场的中♥央♥做了最后的抵抗。
Well, that's where Lee surrendered to Grant, Custer made his last stand right in the middle of that square.
现在如果你跟着我穿过这里。
Now if you follow me right through here.
这是什么,米勒先生?
What's this, Mr. Miller?
那是伟大的默片导演,富兰克林·费拉拉。
Oh, that was the great silent picture director, Franklin Ferrara.
你记得,他是被谋杀的。
You remember, he was murdered.
我想我知道。
I think I do.
他就在这个地方被杀了,就在那间平房♥里。
He was killed right on this lot, down there in that bungalow.
你想看看吗?
Would you like to see it?
-下次吧,米勒先生。-哦,我们来看看吧
- Some other time, Mr. Miller. - Oh, why don't we-- let's take a look at it.
以前,我每天会带100人——也许150人穿过这间平房♥。
Used to be the time I take a hundred-- maybe a hundred and fifty people through this bungalow every day.
他们都在等着看费拉拉先生被杀的地方,他们都在问同一个问题,谁干的?
All of them waiting to see the place where Mr. Ferrara was killed, all of them asking the same question, who did it?
可能是灯泡烧坏了,甚至连电源都没有接通。
Probably a burned-out bulb, it might not even be connected up.
我想已经很多年没人来过这里了。
I don't think anyone's been here for years.
这就是他们发现尸体的地方,1929年1月5日。
This is where they found the body, January 5th, 1929.
1929年,我们开始上高中。
1929, that's the year we started in high school.
是啊,我爸就是那一年从华尔街毕业的。
Yeah, that's the year my father finished from Wall Street.
米勒先生,他们一直没查出是谁杀了费拉拉?
Mr. Miller, they never found out who killed Ferrara, huh?
不,牵扯的人太多了,他们想把所有人都嫁祸给他们。
No, too many people involved, they tried to pin it on all of them.
直到今天,没有人知道到底是谁干的。
To this day, no one knows who really did it.
有人知道。
Someone knows.
是的,谁?
Yeah, who?
谁做的。
Whoever did it.
米奇,看这个,一架老式钢琴,就像一架镍币。
Hey, Mitch, look at this, an old player piano, just like a nickelodeon.
我好几年没见过了。
I haven't seen one in years.
再放一枚硬币进去。
Put another nickel in.
米奇,你还记得116街的老大西洋电影院吗,那里就有这样一个。
Mitch, do you remember the old Atlantic Movie Theater on 116th Street, they have one of these.
伙计,你真的要回去了。
Man, you're really going back.
你还记得《德州坏蛋》里的汤姆·米克斯吗?
Hey, do you remember Tom Mix in Texas Badman?
当然,我记得,我记得这首歌♥。
Sure, I remember, and I remember this music.
他们用一幅画来玩,有点像撒哈拉沙漠,有帐篷,酋长,美丽的女孩,野马。
They played it with a picture called, something about the Sahara Desert, there were tents and sheiks and beautiful girls, wild horses.
我打赌那是撒哈拉沙漠。
I'll bet that was Sands of Sahara.
——这是正确的。-富兰克林·费拉拉执导。
- That's right. - Directed by Franklin Ferrara.
你再也看不到这样的照片了。
You don't see pictures, like, that anymore.
是的,爸爸,每天晚上在电视上。
Yes, you do, pop, every night on television.
那是西娅·布伦特,吸血鬼祖先之一。
That was Thea Brent, one of the original vamps.
她曾出现在《众神之歌♥》中,费拉拉最伟大的作品之一。
She was in the Songs of Gods, one of Ferrara's greatest.
这是华伦天奴的照片。
Hey, here's a picture of Valentino.
是的,他是费拉拉的好朋友。
Oh yes, he was a great friend of Ferrara's.
这个万人迷是谁,我不是在附近见过他吗?
Who's this heartthrob, haven't I seen him around?
那是罗兰·保罗,他把女人都逼疯了。
That's Roland Paul, he drove the flappers wild.
你可能在附近见过他,他现在正在扮演小角色。
You may have seen him around, he's doing small parts now.
英俊的男人。
Handsome man.
是的。
Yeah.
他也卷入了费拉拉的案子,很遗憾,一桩丑闻毁了他。
He was involved in the Ferrara case too, it's a pity, a scandal ruined him.
有些人认为是他干的,有些人仍然这么认为。
Some people thought he did it, some people still think so.
人们还记得吗?
Do people still remember it?
我想没有,除了一些像我这样的老前辈。
Oh I guess not, except maybe a few old timers like myself.
美丽。
Beautiful.
这是1925年的阿曼达·卢梭。
That was Amanda Rousseau in 1925.
我现在就给她报名,在1950年。
I'll sign her up right now, in 1950.
她已经不在了。
She's not around anymore.
她也参与了这个案子。
She was involved in the case too.
费拉拉是个不错的人,对吧?
Ferrara was quite a guy, huh?
最好的,他能做任何事。
The best, he could do anything.
他生活得很努力,工作也很努力。
He'd lived hard and worked hard.
奥布莱恩先生,我可以滔滔不绝地谈论他。
Mr. O'Brien, I could talk about him for hours.
你知道吗,米奇,这里有个好故事。
You know, Mitch, there's a good story here.
我同意你的看法,拉里,我们应该就此打住,就在这里。
I agree with you, Larry, and that's where we should leave it, right here.
但他并没有把它留在那里,他走进了好莱坞历史上的一个古老的庞然大物,你几乎可以听到他脑袋里的摄像机在转动。
But he didn't leave it there, he had walked in in an old hunk of Hollywood history and already, you could almost hear the cameras grinding in his head.
那天晚上我们在我家吃晚饭,但他的一部分还在那座旧平房♥里。
That evening we had dinner at my house but part of him was still back there in that old bungalow.
晚饭后,为了孩子们和我的利益,他向高中时的朱丽叶求婚,他们还在演内战中的莎士比亚,哦,兄弟。
After dinner, he wooed his old high school Juliet for the benefit of the kids and me, they were still doing Shakespeare in the Civil War, oh brother.
嘿,布拉沃。
Hey, bravo.
这是伟大的。好,好,好,好。
That was great. Bravo, bravo, bravo, bravo.
再来一个,再来一个。
Encore, encore.
孩子们,你们两个都去睡觉。
Now children, up to bed both of you.
你真的很好,奥布莱恩先生。
You were really very good, Mr. O'Brien.
我打赌你对你♥爸♥爸所有的客户都这么说。
I bet you said that to all your daddy's clients.
我知道,你怎么知道的?
Yes I do, how did you know?
我认识你♥爸♥爸。
I know your daddy.
-来吧,亲爱的。-你赚很多钱吗,奥布赖恩先生?
- Come on, dear. - Do you make a lot of money, Mr. O'Brian?
吉米,来吧。
Jimmy, come on.
你知道吗,拉里,我不知道那孩子怎么了。
You know something, Larry, I don't know what's with that kid.
现在他在银行的钱比我多。
Right now he's got more money in the bank that I have.
你真是个幸运的孩子,米奇,他们都是好孩子。
You're a pretty lucky boy, Mitch, they are wonderful kids.
朱丽叶一天比一天漂亮,在学校演出前她叫什么名字?
Juliet gets prettier every day, and what was her name before the school play?
你知道吗,我不记得了。
You know something, I don't remember.
我只叫她朱丽叶。
I've never called her anything but Juliet.
拉里,我给你倒杯白兰地。
Oh, let me get you a brandy, Larry.
当然,米奇。
Sure, Mitch.
你知道吗,今天早上能和那个老人聊天真是太好了。-是的。
You know, it was wonderful to talk to that old man - this morning. - Yeah.
工作室的决定是什么?
What's the decision on the studio?
我喜欢它。我要把它租下来。
I like it. I'm gonna take a lease on it.
他对那个费拉拉很着迷。
He's fantastic about that Ferrara fellow.
当然,好莱坞有很多这样的故事。
Oh sure, Hollywood's full of stories like that.
总有一天会有人为他拍张照片。
Someday somebody's gonna make a picture about him.
是的,但头脑正常的人都不会去,那里太脏了。
Yes, but nobody in their right mind would make it, it's too dusty.
幕后故事是可以的,但幕后故事绝对不好。
Backstage stories are okay, back camera stories are absolutely no good.
我不同意你的观点,米奇,有一个关于弗兰克林·费拉拉的伟大故事,那些以无声图片为背景的五彩缤纷的日子。-听着,拉里,别发火
I don't agree with you, Mitch, there's a great story connected with Franklin Ferrara, the colorful days of silent pictures - as one of the backgrounds. - Now look, Larry, don't go off the deep ends
在你第一张照片里。
in your first picture out here.
远离流沙,来个西部片但要让它成为最好的西部片。
Stay out of the quicksand, do a Western but make it the best Western it was ever done.
听着,我们把它留给朱丽叶,头脑冷静,坐下来,亲爱的,知道所有的答案,优秀的普通观众。
Look, we'll leave it up to Juliet, level-headed, sit down, darling, knows all the answers, good average audience.
-我能喝一杯吗?-好的,等会,亲爱的。
- Can't I have a drink? - Yes, later, darling.
首先我要你给我一个诚实的回答。
Now first I want an honest answer from you.
这是一个故事。
Here's a story.
一个老的默片导演被谋杀了,直到今天都没有人知道是谁干的,写他的人生故事和他周围的所有角色,很多老演员
An old silent picture director was murdered and to this day no one knows who did it, do his life story and all the characters that surround him, lots of old timers
电影精选列表