我于1950年毕业于西点军校,
I graduated from West Point in 1950
开始在T-6飞机上进行基本的飞行训练。
to start basic flying training in a T-6 airplane.
并在1951年8月4日被任命为,
and was appointed a pilot on the 4th of August 1951,
(戏剧音乐)
(dramatic music)
高中时代快结束时,我有两种选择,
Towards the end of my high school days, I had two choices.
但是,我妈妈想要我接受一次全面教育,
And the first thing my mother wanted me to get my education
于是我申请到,
all at once, and so I applied
美国海军学院。
to the United States Naval Academy.
但当我拿回我的卡片时,
But when I got my card back,
我从学院得到了信息,
well the information back from the academy,
原来我是第三候补。
it turned out that I was third alternate.
因此,我写信给了美国火箭学会,
So I wrote to the American Rocket Society
并收到了他们的一封非常好的回信。
and I got a very nice letter back from them.
说道,火箭技术作为一种职业,
Said that, um, rocketry as a career,
它才刚刚开始,我建议您申请
it's just starting, I would suggest you apply to,
麻省理工学院和加州理工学院等大学。
colleges like MIT, and Caltech.
我相信你会成功的。
I'm sure that you'll be successful.
好吧,又没有钱去上大学。
Well, there wasn't any money for colleges.
在那时,我们没有像现在这样的学生贷款。
In those days we didn't have student loans like we do today.
因此,我的职业生涯看起来很惨淡。
And, consequently, my career looked pretty bleak.
然后,机会之门打开了。
And, then, a door of opportunity.
在第二次世界大战之后,海军发现,
The Navy, after World II,
大多数海军飞行员,
found out that most of the naval aviators
不想把海军作为自己的职业。
didn't want to make the Navy their career,
结果,所有这些海军飞行员,
and, consequently, all these naval aviators
又回到了平民生活。
were going back into civilian life.
因此,海军部门制定了一个计划,
And so the Navy Department set up a program,
一个让更多海军飞行员加入部队的计划。
a program to get more naval aviators into the service.
我立即申请,被录取了。
I applied immediately, and I was accepted.
机械工程课程上学习了两年,
in a mechanical engineering course,
并开始进行海军训练。
and I was starting my naval training.
突然,我从海军部门接到了一系列命令,
Suddenly, I got, from the Navy Department,
如果我仍然想去
a set of orders that if I was still...
海军学院,
wanted to go to the Naval Academy,
我应该向海军学院报告。
I should report to the Naval Academy.
因此,当时我放弃了海军航♥空♥事业,
And, consequently, I dropped my career at that time
再次以盛装开始。
at Annapolis, started all over again as a plebe.
1950年,朝鲜战争发生了,
In 1950 the Korean War happened,
和我同时代的很多人都经历了,
and a lot of my contemporaries that went through
所谓的“霍洛威计划”。
what we call the Holloway Program,
我要出海成为飞行员。
that I was in originally went to sea, got their wings,
大学的最后两年,
were in the war itself and never got back
被战争担误了。
to their last two years of college.
但非常幸运的是,我母亲是对的,
So very fortunately, my mother was right,
要尽您所能接受教育。
get your education while you can.
既然我父亲是海军职业军官,
Well since my father was a career naval officer,
我一直认为我会跟随他的脚步,
I had always assumed that I would follow
成为一名海军军官。
in his footsteps and become a a naval officer.
我被海军学院录取,
I got accepted to the Naval Academy
然后成为一年级学生。
and went away as a plebe.
夏天,我们作为中级船员,
We went on cruises in the summer,
去到一艘航♥空♥母舰上,
and the second cruise as a mid-shipman
做二次巡航。
was on an aircraft carrier.
(警铃)
(alarm ringing)
我记得第一天,
I remember, almost, the very first day.
那是一艘直甲板航母,所有飞机都在前端。
Pilot missed the wires, and it was a straight-deck carrier.
一位飞行员错过了拦阻索。
All the, the, the other airplanes were up in the front.
他错过了拦阻索,
He missed the wires and crashed
并撞上了另外六架
into about six other airplanes,
被推在一旁的飞机。
which they just pushed over the side.
有一天,海军陆战队中队长,
One day the head of the Marine Reserve squadron,
查看一番之后,加速引擎,
in his gull wing Corsair, looks over and revs the engine up,
然后他表示一切很好或致敬之类的,
and he gives the okay, or the salute,
然后他起飞离开了。
or whatever they do, and off he goes.
当他被弹射器弹出去后,翅膀翘了起来,
Well as he went down the catapult, this wing came up.
我看着这一切,
And I remember looking over at this,
他坐在驾驶舱里。
he was just sitting in the cockpit.
但是我想,好吧,他会被接上来的。
But I thought, well he'll be picked up.
所以我们开过去,但错过了,
So we went by and the ship missed him,
当直升机接近他时...
and by the time the helicopter was close the...
他的飞机沉没了,他再也没能从飞机出来。
His airplane sunk and he never got out.
鉴于那次巡航中,失事飞机上的死亡率,
The mortality rate that they had on that cruise
我想,我真的要干这个工作吗?
wrecking airplanes I'm thinking do I really want to do this?
也许我在空军会更好,
Maybe I would be better off in the Air Force,
他们有10,000英尺长的,
where they had 10,000 feet of nice concrete
漂亮混凝土供飞机降落和起飞。
to land and take off on.
(戏剧音乐)
(dramatic music)
经过研究所和设计局
As a result of intensive work
的密集工作,
by Research Institute and Designing Bureau,
世界上第一颗人造地球卫星
the first artificial earth satellite
现已制♥造♥出来了
in the world has now been created.
今天,第一颗卫星
This first satellite was, today,
已在苏联成功发射。
successfully launched in the USSR.
根据初步资料,这卫星...
According to preliminary information, this carrier...
人们现在很难意识到,
It's hard for people to realize now
它对美国人心理的影响,
the impact that had on on the American psyche,
因为每隔90分钟,
'cause here were the Russians
俄♥罗♥斯♥发射的第一颗人造卫星,
sending over every 90 minutes a satellite over our heads,
就会经过我们的头顶。
the first one that had ever been launched.
我开始重新考虑我的优先事项,
And I, I started to rethink my priorities
想尽快加入空军。
as far as the Air Force went
尽管我在战斗机武器学校教学过,
'cause I hadn't had any combat time,
但我没有实战时间。
although I had taught in the Fighter Weapons School.
所以我申请去试飞员学校,
So I applied to go to the Air Force Test Pilot School,
被录取了。
and I was accepted.
我们在F-104上进行变焦飞行,
We were doing zoom flights
目的是让人在一段较长的时间内,
in the F-104 to get up high enough to give some people
感受零重力是什么感觉,
some idea of what zero G was like
以及在零重力中,
in an extended period of time and also, what it was like
控制飞机的感觉。
to control an airplane
这是他们以前未曾做过的。
in circumstances that they'd never done before.
它们最初的飞行高度约为3.32万英尺,达到2马赫,
They, originally, were around 30, 32,000 feet up to Mach 2,
然后向上拉起,爬升到45度或50度。
and then pull up into a 45 or 50 degree climb.
我记得,大约65,000英尺的地方,他们的加力燃烧室熄火了。
About 65,000 feet, as I recall, their afterburner blew out.
由于过热,您必须约75或70,000英尺时,
About 75 or 70,000 feet you had to turn the engine off
关闭发动机。
because it got too hot, you shut the engine off.
所以你滑翔到最顶。
So you floated over the top.
我们大约上到,
We were at, it was gettin',
90、91,000英尺的高度,
we were gettin' up around 90, 91,000 feet,
然后重新启动引擎,着陆。
and then came back down relit the engine, and landed.
我有一次飞出2马赫,
one of the times I was goin' out of a Mach 2
突然在飞机发生一个爆♥炸♥。
all of a sudden I had an explosion in the airplane.
我的第一反应是跳伞逃生,
My immediate reaction was to bail out.
所以我把手伸到弹射手柄上,
So I reached for the ejection handle,
然后我觉得我太着急了。
but then I remember I'm goin' that fast,
因此,我可以肯定的是,
so I was pretty certain that I didn't have
尾部没有发生灾难性的故障。
a catastrophic failure in the back.
我还有液压系统。
There we go, I still had hydraulics.
然后,我启动它并运行了大约两分钟,
And, so I started it and ran it for about two minutes,
获得了足够的推力,然后将其关闭,并俯冲...
got enough thrust, shut it off, and deadsticked into the...
(明亮的音乐)
(bright music)
我参加了海军航♥空♥培训,
I went into Naval Aviation training,
1954年2月毕业,我被分配到一个小组。
graduated in February of 1954, and I was assigned to a team.
我们有一架叫做女妖的飞机,
We had a plane called the Banshee,
F2H女妖。
the F2H Banshee.
船长决定
The skipper of the ship decided
让一个战斗航♥空♥队飞越舰队,
that he wanted to have a combat air group flyin' over
我是晚上第一个起飞的人。
the task force, so I was the first person off at night.
在航母前面飞了三四分钟,
Went ahead of the carrier for about three or four minutes,
我180度掉头。回来时,只有1500英尺高。
made my 180 turn, came back, only at 1,500 feet.
电影精选列表