Mr Sapsea may feel a duty to public safety...
Sapsea先生要对公众安全负责...
Indeed! Indeed I do.
没错! 我要负责
Remanded in custody.
拘留候审
I give my solemn guarantee, as a man of the law,
作为法务人员 我庄严承诺
that the young man will be confined to my house,
这位年轻人将被关押于我的家宅
under my responsibility, and I shall produce him whenever demanded.
我将尽己之责 保证他随时出庭
You cannot send my brother away.
你们不能把我弟弟送走
When did you plan to tell me? Please, let us explain. This year?
你们打算什么时候告诉我? 请听我们解释 今年?
Next year some time, or never?
明年 还是永远瞒着我?
We only sought to find the father that abandoned
我们只是想找到遗弃了我们
us and throw ourselves upon his love.
不顾父爱 抛弃了我们的父亲
Upon his pocketbook, more like. Ma! Not helpful. Fortune hunters.
是不顾你们的经济吧 妈!别说了 想攀高枝
Your mother was never Mrs Drood.
你母亲并未嫁给Drood先生
No, sir.
是的 先生
So you have no document to prove the connection you claim?
所以你们无法证明你们的血缘关系?
Our mother was a Christian woman... Yes, so you said.
我们的母亲是位基♥督♥徒... 你说过了
Who never told a falsehood in her life. A commendable trait...
她一生从不说谎 这是个好品质...
one she failed to pass on to her offspring.
可她的孩子并没有继承这点
Do not clench your fist at me!
不要冲我攥拳头!
Neville, go and get your coat.
Neville 请穿外套走人
Mr Jasper may accuse my brother for his own reasons.
Jasper先生会因为私人恩怨控告我弟弟
The poor man's beside himself with grief and fear.
悲伤和恐惧令这个男人发狂了
No, sir, Mr Jasper is in love with Rosa.
不是的 先生 Jasper先生爱着Rosa
If you can call it love, that raging, angry thing.
如果您把这个令人发狂的东西称为爱的话
Nonsense! Dear God!
无稽之谈! 天哪!
Mr Crisparkle, you have seen him with your own eyes,
Crisparkle先生 您也亲眼看到了
sitting at your own piano, in your own house, devouring her with his looks.
他就在您的房♥子里 坐在您的钢琴旁 深情地凝视着她
Have you absolutely no shame?
你真的丝毫不知羞耻?
Mr Neville.
Neville先生
He suffers and I do my best to help him
他遭遇了不幸 我竭尽所能帮助他
and you ask me to apologise for it.
你还让我为此道歉
And the poor boy hasn't even a mother of his own, of course.
这个可怜的孩子连母亲都没有
I have one on long-term loan to him, it seems.
我似乎已经长♥期♥借给了他一个
A very fine medicine chest among her attractions.
她珍藏品中的优等药箱
Ma, dear, it might be the action of a friend,
天哪 妈 劝他依靠新鲜空气与锻炼
especially a kindly maternal friend, to persuade him to depend on
而不是依赖毒品 这才是友善之举
fresh air and exercise in his grief, rather than on laudanum.
特别是慈母般的友善
Perhaps you don't remember. You were so young, but I do.
或许你不记得了 那时你太小 但是我记得
I remember when he came here to the choir school,
我记得当他来唱诗学校的时候
that poor little boy, seven years old, and all alone in the world.
那个孩子才7岁 孤苦伶仃一个人
He's not seven years old any more.
他不再是7岁小孩了
Sept, dear Sept, can't you see how lonely he is?
Sept 亲爱的Sept 你没看到他有多孤独么?
Feel as sorry for John Jasper as you like, Ma,
妈 你想为John Jasper多悲伤都行
but I forbid you to give him laudanum again.
但我严禁你再给他鸦♥片♥了
You forbid me?!
你严禁我?!
What century do you believe this to be?
你以为这是什么年代了?
No matter how many hours you spend studying that document...
不管你花多长时间研究那份文件...
I know my father's will off by heart, sir,
先生 我已经把父亲的遗嘱倒背如流了
and I know it will never change.
我知道它永远不会改变
"I leave my entire estate to my beloved and only son, Edwin."
"我将全部财产留给我深爱的独子Edwin"
The uniform penny post is arrived.
统一便士邮政到了
All the excitement.
激动人心
Captain Drood would, alas, not be the first Englishman to father children
Drood上尉并非第一位在异国生子
in foreign climes and then abandon them.
然后将他们抛弃的英国人
He was the first Englishman to do it to me.
他是第一个这么对我的英国人
Yes, Bazzard?
怎么了 Bazzard?
Being, as I am, only your assistant
作为你唯一的助理
and not permitted to leave this hellish office,
不被允许离开这间该死的办公室
I have been forced to apply to the trustees using the penny post.
我只好用便士邮政申请成为委托人
Trustees? Of the Mission School in Trincomalee.
委托人? 亭可马里教会学校的委托人
Which, august gentlemen, confirm that a certain Captain Edwin Arthur Drood
尊敬的先生们 这证明了Edwin Arthur Drood上尉
began regular payments to the school in the autumn of 1834.
从1834年秋天开始给学校定期付款
When my sister and I were six years old.
那时姐姐和我都是6岁
Mr Grewgious! I know it's not proof, but this could...
Grewgious先生! 我知道这不算证据 但它可以...
But it is evidence, Neville.
Neville 这是证据啊
Very suggestive evidence.
非常有力的证据
And ended in the summer of 1836.
到1836年夏天就停止付款了
He lost interest in us after only two years?
仅仅2年后他就不想搭理我们了?
Perhaps it is simply that the regiment moved back to Egypt.
或许只是跟着大部队回埃及了
I need to know. Mr Grewgious, the regimental archives are in Cloisterham.
我得知道原因 Grewgious先生 那个团的档案在克洛伊斯特汉姆
Neville, you know very well that you cannot go back to Cloisterham.
Neville 你明知自己不能回克洛伊斯特汉姆
Bazzard! Get your coat.
Bazzard! 穿外套出门
Speak to no-one. In particular, keep your distance from Mr Jasper.
严守秘密 尤其要防着Jasper先生
I could use a suedeonym to avoid discovery.
我可以用佳名来掩人耳目
You shall do no such thing. And the word is pseudonym.
用不着 而且那叫假名
Or, or, or, employ the Scottish accent I used as
或者 我用苏格兰口音
a schoolboy in my very well-received Macbeth.
我读书时演麦克白用过
Bazzard, go to the archives. Track Captain Drood's movements.
Bazzard 去档案室 查清Drood上尉的行踪
Speak to no-one!
不要和别人说话!
I follow you, sir.
我明白了 先生
Och, aye, the noo!
太好了 就是现在(苏格兰英语)
I do understand how cravings can be very strong in such cases but...
我知道在这种情况下 你有多渴望 但...
You suspect an element of pleasurable excitement in it.
你怀疑我是为了享受
Why else begin it?
否则为什么要吸?
To banish grief beyond endurance.
是为了减少难以承受的悲痛
To reach total eclipse without all hope of day.
排遣了无希望的余生
When you came to me last year about your pain...
你去年疼得来找我的时候...
No man flies back to opium from physical pain.
没人会因为生理痛苦而复吸的
From what, then?
那是为了什么?
Blank and hopeless desolation.
空虚 绝望 孤独
And then for a while it brings dreams of paradise and unimaginable pleasure.
吸一会儿就会飘飘欲仙 如痴如醉
I have stood looking down into an abyss of divine enjoyment,
我曾经长久伫立 享受着无边的快乐
until a desolation more blank and hopeless than before returns.
直到更多的空虚 绝望 孤寂袭来
We must seek a way to break this slavery, through prayer.
我们必须通过祈祷来设法冲破这个循环
There is no need, dear lady.
不需要这么做 亲爱的夫人
For my slavery is already at an end since my poor Ned...
我的循环已被打破 自从我可怜的Ned...
I cannot speak of it.
我不想说这事
Never have my prayers been answered more quickly.
我的祷告还从未这么快灵验过
Regimental Muster Rolls.
Muster Rolls团
Most efficient. Thank you.
效率真高 谢谢
I shall miss you. Your first duty is to your brother.
我会想你的 你的首要职责是你弟弟
It was supposed to be you leaving me behind. And in my wedding dress.
本该是你离我而去的 而且还穿着婚纱
How long ago that seems.
恍如隔世
Miss Landless, please, let me.
Landless小姐 让我帮你拿行李
I can carry my own bag, sir.
先生 我可以自己拿
But why should you when a friend presents himself as beast of burden?
既然有朋友愿意效劳 你何必自己拿呢?
A friend?
朋友?
I wish we'd not quarrelled.
真希望我们没有吵架
Cloisterham will seem very quiet without both Landlesses.
两位Landless都不在了 克里斯特汉姆一定会很安静
It will do as well without us now as if we had never come here.
少了我们也一样 就如同我们从没来过
But, Helena, then I would never have known you.
可那样我就不会认识你了 Helena
Either of you, I mean, of course. You and your brother, both of you.
我是说你们 你和你弟弟 你们两个
Excellent pupils.
都是很好的年轻人
You will send him my best regards?
替我向他问好
All aboard now! Miss Landless.
全部上车! Landless小姐
Run!
跑吧!
Thank you.
谢谢
This is all happening tooquickly. Reverend Crisparkle,
这一切真是突如其来 Reverend Crisparkle
kindest of men, so much kinder than we deserved.
你对我们太好了 我们愧不能当
Walk on.
出发
Thank you.
谢谢
Weeks without even a glimpse of your face
几周不见
while I waited patiently for your summons.
我一直耐心等候你的召唤
Why should I summon you?
我为什么要召唤你?
Back to my duties as your faithful music master.
重拾我的职责 教授你音乐
I shall never play the piano again.
我不会再弹钢琴了
Never let those lovely fingers make sweet melody?
再也不用这双纤纤玉手弹奏美妙的旋律了吗?
Nobody can see us.
这儿没人
Everyone's gone home for the summer.
大家都回家避暑了
Except little orphan Rosa.
只剩小孤女Rosa