Well, I think it's time for a drink...
我该去喝一杯了...
My guests are very young, my dear Mr Jasper,
亲爱的Jasper先生 客人们都太年轻
and very tired...
而且已经很疲惫了...
I take no offence, madam, truly,
我并不生气 夫人 真的
it's only one of my sudden headaches, forgive me.
我只是突然感觉头痛 请见谅
I had already put this aside for you.
我给你准备了这个
You are most kind.
你真是太好了
Thank you.
非常感谢
Do that again and I'll kill you.
你再试试看 我宰了你
You lie!
唬谁呢!
Get off me! Get off me! Get off!
放开我! 放开我! 放开!
I could turn you off like a tap.
我一只手就能捏死你
I am sure Miss Bud will
Landless小姐 我敢肯定你会
make you very comfortable, Miss Landless.
和Bud小姐相处融洽
Good night!
晚安!
This is my bed, and that shall be yours.
我睡这 你睡那
It's beautiful.
真漂亮
I hope you shall not hate sharing it with me.
希望你不介意和我挤一间
Oh, the other girls are such geese!
哦 其他姑娘都是蠢货!
Come, let me take down your hair.
来 我帮你把头发放下来
I imagine we shan't be here together for very long.
我想我们不会合住太久
No, indeed.
的确不会
For come the summer, I shall be married and away.
等夏天一到 我就要出嫁了
Married to a man who makes you cry in company.
嫁给一个让你当众流泪的男人
Oh, that's just Eddy's way!
Eddy就是那种人!
He doesn't mean it.
他不是故意的
You do love him, Rosa?
Rosa 你爱他吗?
What a question!
这叫什么问题!
I have been engaged to Eddy for ever. Of course I love him.
我和Eddy已经定了终生 我当然爱他
You are so very young.
你还这么年轻
17.
17了
Sometimes I wonder...
有时我会好奇...
how can I be sure this is what love feels like?
我怎么知道这就是爱?
I only know what I hope it feels like.
我只知道我期待的爱是怎样的
The other gentleman...
另一位先生...
Don't speak of him.
别提他了
You do know he loves you?
你知道他爱你?
Oh, don't say that out loud.
小点声
Good sir! Our agreement.
好先生! 我们的约定
Who's died?
谁死了?
You were to conduct me on a tour.
你答应带我观光
The mysterious world of Durdles.
探索Durdles的神秘世界
Not tonight. Durdles is going home for his supper.
今晚不行 Durdles得回去吃晚饭
I have all the nourishment we need.
我准备了食物
Watch your step, Mr Jasper.
Jasper先生 小心台阶
As fine a choirmaster as you might be up there,
即便在上头你是个优秀的唱诗班指挥
down here is Durdles the presiding spirit.
下面却是Durdles的地盘
There's people hidden away in every corner down here, Mr Jasper.
Jasper先生 这里的每个角落都藏过人
Old 'uns that's walled up...
往事都已尘封...
and forgotten for ever by everyone excepting Durdles.
除了Durdles 其他人都忘光了
You spoke of nourishment?
你说的食物呢?
Not frightened of ghosts, then?
不怕鬼?
What rational man fears the dead?
哪个理性的人会怕死人?
That's true, the dead can't hurt ya.
没错 死人伤不了你
Give you a fright, though.
但能吓到你
You're not going to claim you've seen a ghost, Durdles?
Durdles 你是说你已经见过鬼了?
You'll disappoint me if you do.
我会很失望的
Not seen one, no.
没见过
Heard one, though.
但听到过
I was enjoying my 40 winks one night,
那晚我正打盹
though the nourishment was nowhere near as good as this is,
虽然那天的食物远没有今天好吃
Mr Jasper, thanking you kindly.
Jasper先生 谢谢你
When what should wake me?
那时是什么把我吵醒了?
The ghost of a cry, that's what.
是鬼哭泣的声音
The ghost of one terrific shriek...
有个鬼发出了一声撕心裂肺的惨叫...
with an echo like a long dismal,
还带着悠长凄惨的回声
woeful howl, such as a dog gives when a person's dead.
就像狗看到死人时发出的嚎叫
You speak of long ago.
你说的是很久以前吗
No more than a year.
还没满一年
It was just when we buried poor Mrs Sapsea.
就是我们为可怜的Sapsea夫人下葬的时候
Not ashamed to confess I thought it was her.
坦白说我以为那是她
The lady mayoress, crying for release from her own fresh grave.
是这位市长夫人 哭求着把她从新坟里放出来
Not ashamed to confess I ran all the way home
坦白说我吓得一路跑回家
and never came back to lock up until the morning.
到天亮才敢回去锁门
The ghost of one terrific shriek.
有个鬼发出了一声撕心裂肺的惨叫
He terrifies me.
我很怕他
When he corrects me, and strikes a note, or a chord,
当他纠正我的时候 敲打出音符或和♥弦♥
his voice is in the music... whispering...
他的声音伴着音乐... 低语着...
that he pursues me as a lover.
他在追求我
What words does he use, little one?
他是怎么说的 小家伙?
I could argue with words.
我可以抗拒他的言语
But he has made a slave of me with his music.
但他用音乐奴役了我
He has forced me to understand him without his saying a word
他不发一言 却能迫使我理解他
and he has forced me to keep silent without his uttering a threat.
他不声不响 却能迫使我保持安静
Is that why you don't tell Edwin?
所以你不告诉Edwin?
Oh, Eddy is devoted to him!
Eddy被他俘获了!
John Jasper is more than an uncle to him,
John Jasper可不只是他的叔叔
he is a guardian and protector.
他还是位监护人和保护神
You must never breathe a word! Promise me, on your life.
你可千万别说出去! 用你的性命起誓
Of course.
那是自然
Good night, little one. I'm here now.
晚安 小家伙 有我在
There's no need to be scared.
没什么好害怕的
I'm sorry about your father.
我为令尊感到难过
No need to feel sorry for me, Mr Neville.
Neville先生 没有必要为我难过
I hardly knew my father, he lived so much abroad.
我并不了解我父亲 他基本呆在国外
He died in action? No! A mining accident in Upper Egypt.
他死于战争? 不! 死于上埃及的一场矿难
He died making money.
他为赚钱而死
Don't look so puzzled.
别这么困惑
He was an officer in the Royal Engineers,
他曾是皇家工兵部队的军官
and no man never got rich on army pay.
无兵不富
Set up a pretty little construction business,
创立了一些小建筑生意
which is left to me when I'm 21.
在我21岁时就转交给我
I congratulate you. And on your other good fortune.
恭喜你 也祝贺你的其它财富
Miss Rosa?
Rosa小姐?
You ask a good too many questions already, Mr Neville,
Neville先生 你问得太多了
and this matter is none of your business.
此事与你无关
The young lady is under one roof with my sister.
那位女士和我姐姐同住一个屋檐
Not for long, thank God. Your discourtesy does not become you.
不会合住很久 谢天谢地 你不该如此无礼
What an odd little thing you are.
你真是个有趣的小家伙
Ned! Ned!
Ned! Ned!
Ned, dear boy!
Ned 好孩子!
You are the host in this town
你是东道主
and must respect the sacred rules of hospitality!
必须遵循待客之道!
Ned will be off soon, Mr Neville,
Ned不久就要走了 Neville先生
sailing away with his lady love to a life of freedom and adventures.
带着他的爱人远航 去过自♥由♥冒险的生活
Look at him lounging there like a lord.
看他那样 悠闲似神仙
The world is all before him. Where to choose?
世界尽在他眼前 去哪呢?
Isn't that right, Mr Neville?
Neville先生 你说是吗?
Whereas we lesser mortals...
至于我们这些小民...
To Ned, my dearest fellow.
敬Ned 我最爱的家伙
Lord Jack, this is strong stuff for our new friend.
Jack大人 这酒对我们的新朋友来说太烈了
I can take it.
我能应付
And now a toast to Mr Neville,
现在为Neville先生干一杯
newly-arrived from far-flung...?
来自遥远的...?
Ceylon. Off the south coast of India.
锡兰 在印度南海岸
Mr Neville, every schoolboy knows that.
Neville先生 读过书的人都知道
Jack, you're quite right.
Jack 你说得很对
I understand you're orphans?
你是个孤儿?
Our mother died when we were 12 years old.
我们的母亲在我们12岁时过世了
I am a damn fortunate fellow.
我真是太幸运了