but when did you hear me say you're allowed to growl
但我什么时候让你们
like a pack of Bengal tigers?
像孟加拉虎一样咆哮了?
Keep it bright, keep that smile in your mouths.
明亮一点 保持微笑
The key note is IS G, but it is an odd form of G minor,
主调是G调 但跟G小调有点不一样
so don't root down in mud and boots, think upwards, think of heaven.
所以不要把音沉到脚底 往高处想 想想天堂
And this time prove to me you can sing sharp as well as flat.
这次要把升半音唱得和降半音一样好
? According to thy word
依汝所言
? For mine eyes have seen
以吾所见
? Thy salvation
汝之解救
? Which thou hast prepared
已见于
? Before the face of all people... ?
世人眼前...
Ethelinda, reverential wife of Mr Thomas Sapsea.
Thomas Sapsea先生的夫人 Ethelinda
Mayor, estate agent, auctioneer, etc, etc, etc,
他是本市的市长 掮客 拍卖♥♥商
of this very city, whose knowledge of the world,
等等等等 他的学识
though somewhat extensive, never brought him acquainted
不可谓不广博 却不足以让他熟知
with a spirit more capable of looking up to him.
那个更为仰慕他的人
That spirit being your late wife?
那个仰慕者是你的亡妻?
Stranger, pause, and ask thyself the question.
陌生人 止步 自问道
Canst thou do likewise?
汝能效否?
If not, with a blush, retire.
如不能 羞而退也
A fine tribute.
很精彩的悼词
I do not reproach myself, sir.
我无意自谦 先生
A little long, perhaps?
是不是稍微有点长?
But there have been times when I have asked myself the question,
但有时我会扪心自问
what if her husband had not been so very superior to her?
如果她的丈夫不是那么高高在上
If she had not had to look up so high,
如果她没有那么钦佩他
what might have been the stimulating effect upon her liver?
她的肝脏也许就不会不堪重负
Durdles, what say you as to length?
Durdles 你觉得长吗?
Hold it up for us.
帮我们拿着
It'll fit within an eighth of an inch. Give us the key.
短于八分之一英寸 把钥匙给我们
Um, surely this fine inscription
呃 这么好的悼词
is not to be hidden from public view inside the crypt?
当然不能深埋地底 不见天日
When Durdles goes back to put a touch or a finish on his work,
Durdles在完工之前
Durdles likes to check the whole job.
喜欢从头到尾检查一遍
Inside and outside.
里里外外都要
Key, Mr Mayor, if you please.
市长大人 请给我钥匙
Why, Durdles, you're overloaded with ironmongery.
Durdles 你身上的钥匙太多了
Weighed down by life, is Durdles.
Durdles被生活压垮
And I'm sure the mayor's key is the heaviest of all.
市长的钥匙肯定是最重的一把
Indeed, sir, it shall be.
的确如此 先生
Oh, may I?
我可以试一下吗?
Most impressive.
真的很重
You may retain the key, Durdles, for I have another,
Durdles 你可以留着这把钥匙 我还有一把
and how the cold is creeping into my bones.
真是冷得刺骨啊
Good day to you both.
再见
Good day, Mr Sapsea.
再见 Sapsea先生
Yours is a curious existence.
你真是特立独行
Yours is another.
你也是
In as much as we both inhabit the same old earthy,
虽然我们都生活在同一个古老 简陋
chilly, never-changing place.
阴冷 一成不变地方
But there's more mystery and interest in your work.
但你的工作更加神秘有趣
Nobody knows this place like Durdles.
Durdles最了解这里
Every corner of it has Durdles' handiwork upon it.
这里的每个角落都有Durdles留下的痕迹
Find his way round it blindfold.
闭着眼都不会迷路
Day or night.
无论是白天还是晚上
You shall show me.
带我见识一下
Durdles got better things to do.
Durdles还有事要做
Excuse me, boys.
让一让 孩子们
Miss Landless?
Landless小姐?
Oh, welcome to Cloisterham.
欢迎来到Cloisterham
I'm Reverend Septimus Crisparkle.
我是Reverend Septimus Crisparkle
How do you do?
你好
How do you do, sir?
你好 先生
And this must be... My brother, Neville.
这位一定是... 我弟弟 Neville
Splendid.
太好了
My dear children, such a dreadfully long voyage, but you're home now.
亲爱的孩子们 旅途漫漫 但你们现在到家了
100 miles south of Jaffna, I believe?
贾夫纳以南100英里 是吗?
Yes, sir.
没错 先生
Dutch, and then French, till we British got hold of it.
从荷兰辗转法国 最后来到了英国
The harbour, you see. Very fine.
那个港口 非常不错
Trincomalee! What a tongue-twister.
亭可马里港 真拗口
It means Lord of the Sacred Hill in our mother's language.
意思是圣山之神
Yes, your mother...
你的母亲...
Was a Christian lady.
她是个基♥督♥教♥徒♥
Oh, of course.
噢 当然
The letter from the mission school related to us
教会学校已经写信告知我们
the sad news of the death of your stepfather.
你们的继父去世的消息
To be orphaned twice...
再次成为孤儿...
We have each other.
我们彼此相依为命
"Trincomalee! What a tongue-twister?"
"亭可马里港! 真拗口"
It's like talking to a pair of brick walls.
就像对牛弹琴一样
Perhaps in the company of other young people...
如果有同龄人相伴的话...
Oh, round some up, Sept. Quick as you can!
快找些来吧 Sept 越快越好!
Boilers again. Boilers and pyramids and canals.
又是汽锅炉 汽锅炉 金字塔 运河
How can you not take an interest in the triumphs of
你怎么会对这些毫无兴趣呢?
engineering that'll change an undeveloped country?
是这些工程带动了落后国家的发展
Who cares about Egypt?! Talk about something else.
谁管埃及? 换个话题吧
Next, you'll say you don't want to come. You're being ridiculous.
然后你就要说你根本不想来了 别傻了
Mr Neville Landless,
Neville Landless先生
Miss Helena Landless,
Helena Landless小姐
may I present to you
这两位是Rosa Bud小姐
Miss Rosa Bud and Mr Edwin Drood?
和Edwin Drood先生
How do you do?
你好
I see I disappoint you.
看样子我令你们失望了
An unusual name, sir, but familiar to us,
很特别的名字 先生 但我们很耳熟
as a Mr Drood was among the kindly benefactors of our mission school.
有位Drood先生是我们教会学校慷慨的赞助人之一
Not I, Miss Landless,
那可不是我 Landless小姐
I have not yet set foot in the tropics,
我从没去过热带地区
nor my father either, who is dead these nine years.
也不是我父亲 他九年前就去世了
I am more than sorry to hear that.
令尊的事 我深表遗憾
Miss Twinkleton, your new pupil.
Twinkleton女士 这是你的新学生
And you sir, to the piano if you please. And Rosa!
还有先生你 请到钢琴这边来 还有Rosa!
Yes, yes, come along, now.
来来 过来
Oh, some songs before tea, the rule on our alternate musical Wednesdays.
喝茶前唱几首歌♥ 这是每周三的惯例
Yes, sing for our suppers, Rosie, it's the least you can do.
为我们的晚餐唱首歌♥吧 Rosie
Miss Helena...
Helena小姐...
If you care to sit here.
不介意坐这里吧
? Believe me if all those endearing young charms
眼看你的妩媚花容兮已萎枯
? Which I gaze on so fondly today
眼看仙侣无法将你让
? Were to change by tomorrow
我这诚信真挚双眼
? And fleet in my arms
依然凝住
? Like fairy gifts fading away
要向你作无言倾诉
? Thou wouldst still be adored
我的深情
? As this moment thou art
萦绕在这心头如许
? Let thy loveliness fade as it will
萦绕心头似春藤长绿
? And around the dear ruin
这莫是香断红消
? Each wish of my heart
减尽欢愉
? Would entwine itself verdantly still. ?
矢当初折盟永不辜负
Charming, my dear. Most mellifluous.
真棒 亲爱的 很甜美
Please, that's enough. Oh, Rosie, what's the fuss?
拜托 就唱这么多 Rosie 怕什么?
There'll be tears next, Jack, and for nothing, as usual.
接下来她就要无缘无故地哭了 Jack 从来如此
If a young lady wishes to stop, what gentleman would force her on?
绅士不会强迫一位女士做她不想做的事情
Oh, there are no gentlemen here, sir. Only a fiance and a music master.
这里可没有绅士 只有未婚夫和一位音乐大♥师♥
Shall she take orders from both of them?
那她就得听你俩的命令吗?
Orders? Never. But what if I beg?
命令? 不 要是我求你呢?
Rosie Posie, be a dear...
Rosie Posie 亲爱的...
Stop it. Stop it!
别这样 别这样!
Come away, come away.
走 我们走
There, Jack, Miss Landless agrees with me!
你瞧 杰克 Landless女士认同我!
You are a monster and she's afraid of you, too. Never.
你是个怪物 她也怕你 别说了