"吃晚餐"
今晚在家吃饭吗
Having supper in tonight, sir?
应该不会吧 华契太太 你今晚放假出去庆祝
I don't think so. Mrs. Watchett, Why don't you go and celebrate?
谢谢你 如果没别的事
Thanks, but if you're not need me,
我想早点睡
I think I'll turn in earlier and get some sleep. If I can.
-如果睡得着的话 晚安 -晚安
-Good night, sir. -Good night.
华契太太 我下周五请费比先生他们来吃晚饭
Mrs. Watchett, I invited Mr. Filby and the others to dinner Friday.
我知道了
Oh yes sir.
新年快乐 华契太太
Happy New Year, Mrs. Watchett.
新年快乐
Happy New Year, sir.
新年快乐
Happy New Year
一开始我轻轻的把控制杆向前推
At first, I pushed the lever forward very slightly...
身边的实验室渐渐消失
... and the laboratory grew faint around me.
我停住
I stopped.
一切都没改变
No change.
一景一物都和先前没什么不同
Everything exactly as it had been before.
不 刚刚还是6点31分
No! The clock said 6:31 when I started,
现在却变成...
and now it was...
8点9分了
8:09?
蜡烛也短了好几寸
And the candle, shorter by inches.
但我怀表上的时间却只过了几秒
Yet by my watch, which was with me, only a few seconds had passed.
看着太阳在短短一分钟内升起落下
It was disconcerting to see the sun
令我仓惶之心尤然而生
arc in less than a minute.
看蜗牛牛飞快地经过身边
To see a snail race by.
看园中的花朵盛开 迎接新的一天
Flowers flinging wide their petals to embrace the day.
日晷上的时光飞逝
The hours speeding across my sundial.
花儿在夜幕低垂时再度收起花瓣
Flowers closing their eyes for the night.
这么滋味妙不可言
It was wonderful!
一般要花好几小时的事 现在转瞬间就完成
Changes that normally took hours took seconds.
亲爱的华契太太老是想告诉我该打哪条领带
Dear Mrs. Watchett, always able to tell me what tie to wear...
但是自己却一直穿那套
but never able to decide to wear anything more stylish
不合潮流的衣服
than the type of closes she's worn all these years.
我现在的速度还很慢
and as Yet I was traveling very slowly.
如果加速一些会怎样
What if I went faster?
我感到一股莫名的兴奋
It became intoxicating.
所以我把操纵杆再往前推一些
So I pushed the lever on toward even greater speed.
我渐渐地熟悉驾驶时光机的诀窍
As I went along I gained experience and handling the machine.
我发现自己可以暂时停留一天 一个小时或一秒钟
I found I could stop for a day, an hour, or even a second to observe.
观察周遭景物之后再漫游到下一年去
Then go ahead a year or two.
如此我可以观察周遭景色改变的浮光掠影
Plus I was able to see the changing world in a series of glimpses.
天啊 那是件洋装吗
Good heavens. That's a dress?
真有趣
This was intriguing.
不晓得女人的衣着还会大胆到什么地步
I wondered just how far women would permit this to go.
我开始对那个假人产生深厚的感情
I began to grow very fond of that mannequin.
也许是因为咱们两个都不会变老的缘故
Maybe because, like me, she didn 't age.
转眼间过了13年 14 15 16
Thirteen years passed. Fourteen, fifteen, sixteen...
突然之间四周暗了下来 发生什么事了
And then suddenly the light was gone. What had happened?
我停在1917年
In the year 1917, I stopped.
"私人产业 闲人勿进"
费比
Filby!
你要去参加化妆舞会啊
Are you going to a masquerade party?
你没留胡子看起来傻傻的
You look rather silly without your mustache.
先生 你在跟我说话吗
Were you addressing me, sir?
费比 我是乔治啊
Filby! It's George! well,
没想到你对我这么冷淡
I must say I expected a more enthusiastic greeting...
你一定是把我和家父弄混了
I think you're confusing me with my father.
我父亲生前跟我很像
There was quite a resemblance.
我是詹姆斯·费比
I'm James Filby.
生前
"Was"?
你是爸爸的朋友吗
Were you a friend of Father's?
是的
Yes.
我出了好几年国
Yes, I've been away.
他一年前战死沙场
He was killed in the war. A year ago.
真遗憾
I'm so sorry.
住在对面的那位先生呢
And the gentleman across the street?
那个发明家呀 他在本世纪初失踪了
Oh, him? the inventor chap? He disappeared around the turn of the century.
如果你想买♥♥那楝房♥子的话
Look, here, If you're interested in that house, sir,
你恐怕得失望了
I'm afraid you can't buy it.
你甚至不能进去
You can't even get inside.
为什么
Why is that?
我爸爸是那位发明家产业的托管人
My father was executor of the estate,
他拒绝变卖♥♥这片产业
and father just refused to liquidate it.
我常常为这点和他争执不下
I often chided him on that count,
但他坚信屋主总有一天会回来
but he believed the owner would return some day.
这里的人都觉得这楝房♥子有鬼 但是...
People hereabouts think it's haunted, but...
先生 你是谁
Who are you, sir?
我只是个认识你父亲的陌生人罢了
Just a stranger who once knew your father.
你到前线去了吗
Have you been at the front?
前线 什么前线
Front? What front?
当然是战争前线罗
The war, of course.
什么战争
What war?
你不知道我们1914年
Good heavens! You mean you don't know
就跟德国宣战了吗
we've been at war with Germany since 1914?
我以为你是从法国回来的 也许...
I thought you'd just returned from France. Or perhaps...
你喝杯茶也许会舒服些
Perhaps some tea might make you feel better.
请进吧
Won't you come in?
不了 谢谢
No, thank you.
先生 你真的没事吗
Are you sure you're all right? sir?
我很好
Yes, I'm quite all right.
那就 再会了 先生
Then goodbye, sir.
再见 吉米
Goodbye, Jamey.
突然间在1940年时 时光机开始猛烈摇晃
Suddenly In 1940, I began to be buffeted from side to side.
我起先以为时光机坏了或是零件磨损
I first thought was that the machine had a mechanical defect.
我上一次停留是1917年...那是23年前的事
The last time I had stopped was in 1917, 23 years ago.
我们和德国的战火正盛
The war with Germany was still waging.
我看着天上呼啸而过的机器 恍然大悟
Now in the air with flying machines. Then I realized the truth.
这又是一场新的战争
This was a new war.
我决定到未来看看这场战争的结果
I decided to push into time and see the outcome of this.
我的房♥子被击中了 火苗窜起
then my house was hit! The flames shot up. Instantly,
我的房♥子转瞬间就消失了
my home was gone.
我发现自己在露天的户外
And I found myself in the open air.
时光流逝
The years rolled by,
一切都如此陌生
everything unfamiliar.
但我那位不会老的假人朋友 脸上的微笑依然熟悉
Except the smile of my never-aging friend.
这是怎么回事 这奇怪的声音究竟是什么
What was this? Weird sounds all around. What could it be?
在好奇心的驱使下我停了下来
My curiosity compelled me to stop.
起先我以为自己和时光机
At first I wondered if my machine
是引起大家恐慌的罪魁祸首
and I was the cause of the panic.
但很快发现事实并非如此
I was soon to find out I wasn 't.
先生 快走
Keep it moving! Shove it on!
快到防空洞去
Come on, into the shelter.
"詹姆斯费比谨以此这座公园"
"悼念对好友乔治忠贞不移的父亲"
年轻人 快跟我来...
Come on, young man! Come on!
费比
Filby?
你该叫我费比先生才是 你没有听到空袭♥警♥报吗
The name is Mr. Filby. Didn't you hear the siren?
你是说那刺耳的怪声
You mean the horrible screeching?
警报可不是着闹着玩的
It wasn't constructed for aesthetic value, young man.
是用来警告你们这些无知年轻人快去防空洞
but to warn young fools to get into shelter.
跟我来...
Now, come along.
费比先生 我觉得在这里很好呀
I'm perfectly comfortable here. Mr. Filby?
我一定要找个人谈谈 这实在是太棒了...
I've got to talk. This is fantastic!
你的店也令人惊叹
Your store is magnificent!
这真是了不起的成就 人类进步了好多
The achievements! The gigantic strides man has taken!
跟我来 年轻人...
Come along, young man! Come along, Come along!
不快点走 蕈状云就要出现了
You better hurry, or the mushrooms will be sprouting!
蕈状云
Mushrooms?
你好眼熟 我们是不是见过
You look familiar. Haven't we met somewhere before?
没错 费比先生 我们多年前在这里见过
Indeed we have, Mr. Filby. Right there. Many years ago.
这我知道 不过时间记不清楚了
I was sure of that. But the exact time escapes me.
那是两场战争前的事 1917年
It was two wars ago. 1917.
我想起来了
Now I recall.