时空大挪移
对不起 费比先生
Excuse me, Mr. Filby!
真是...
I say,
真是太没礼貌了
I say it's outright rude of him!
他一定是有事耽搁了
He's merely been detained. that's all.
这真是浪费时间
This is such a waste of time!
早知道他不来 我有很多更重要的事要办
If he's not coming, I have numbers of more important things to do.
你有话快说
Well, speak up. What is it, woman?
他到底要不要请我们吃晚饭
Well, are we or are we not invited for dinner?
显然要
Apparently we are.
他走了多久
How long has he been gone?
我也不清楚 至少好几天了
I'm not certain, sir. Several days.
我好一阵子没看到他了
I've hardly seen him for some time.
他从来不离开实验室 只在吃饭时过来一趟
He never leaves the lab. He only comes in and picks at his food.
不过他有吩咐今晚吃饭的事 并且留下这些指示
But he did tell me about dinner, and left those instructions.
谢谢你 华契太太
Thank you, Mrs. Watchett.
费比 上面写些什么 发生什么事了
What's it say, Filby? What's wrong?
其实也没什么大不了的
Nothing, really.
乔治只说他八点没到的话 就不用等他了
George says that if he's not here by 8, we're to begin without him.
华特 现在几点了
Walter, what time is it?
各位 可以用餐了
Dinner is served, gentlemen.
终于听到一句中听的话了
First sensible thing I've heard all evening.
真怪 他通常是很准时的
This is peculiar. He's usually prompt, precise and punctual.
他请我们吃晚饭自己却不来 根本摆明了是在耍我们
He's making fools of us by not showing up.
这种行为太不合礼法
It's not a behavior of gentleman.
而且还浪费我们的时间
To say nothing of a waste of time.
没错
Yes. To say nothing of a waste of time.
乔治有一件事倒是让我佩服不已
One thing I like about George: Best cellar in the south of England.
他的酒窖是全南英一流的 华契太太厨艺也举世无双
And Mrs. Watchett is the finest cook in the world.
这句话值得浮一大白
Yes, I think I'll drink to that.
天啊 怎么了
Good Lord! What's happened?
我没事 拿点吃的来
I'm all right. Some food.
我要喝东西
A drink.
我没认出你
I didn't recognize you.
华契太太
Mrs. Watchett.
说句话吧 你怎么了
Can't you speak? What happened to you?
别烦他了
Leave him alone.
没关系
It's alright.
我要趁着没忘记之前告诉你们
I've got to tell it while I remember.
别这么紧张...时间很多慢慢说
Relax. Try to relax. You've all the time in the world.
你说的对 大卫
You're right, David.
我别的没有 时间最多
That's exactly what I have. All the time in the world.
五天前咱们相聚时 还是1♥8♥9♥9年的最后一天
Since we were together five days ago, the last day of 1♥8♥9♥9.
这个盒子里装的是我两年来努力的结晶
There in that box rests the result of two years' labor.
我希望在下个世纪来临前完成我的工作
I wanted to finish the job before the new century began.
差点就来不及了
I barely made it.
干杯
Cheers, gentlemen.
美极了 小老弟
Marvelous, old boy.
是啊 但那是什么
Yes, but what is it?
这玩意儿和时间有关
Well, it has to do with time.
我一直坚称英国需要的就是分秒不差的计时器
I've always maintained that this nation, needs a reliable timepiece.
海军需要 陆军也需要 可以用来训练炮兵部队
The navy needs one. The army needs one for the artillery, you know.
乔治 你最懂守时了
You couldn't do better, George.
这就是你足不出户的原因了
That's why you've been in hiding?
你真聪明
Very clever of you, indeed.
我想乔治说的东西不是计时器
I don't think George is referring to a new timepiece.
不尽然
No, David.
我所谓的时间是四度空间
When I speak of time, I'm referring to the fourth dimension.
继续说 乔治
Go on, George.
想要解释四度空间真的很难
the difficulty in explaining the fourth dimension is
因为看不到 也摸不到
that it cannot be seen or felt.
乔治 麻烦你解释一下三度空间
If you don't mind, will you refresh me on the first three dimensions?
费比 你在学校什么都没学到呀
Really, Filby. Surely they taught you something in school.
那你来解释一下吧
Suppose you explain it, doctor.
没问题
Certainly.
我做直线前进及后退 就是一度空间
For example, when I move in a line, forward or backward, that's one dimension.
左右移♥动♥是二度空间
When I move left or right, two dimensions.
上下移♥动♥是三度空间
When I move up or down, three dimensions.
就拿那个盒子来说吧
For instance, that box.
它的三度空间就是长宽高
That box has three dimensions: Length, breadth and height.
那第四度空间是什么
What is the fourth dimension?
那...那只是纯理论
That's mere theory.
没人知道第四空间究竟是什么或是否真的存在
No one really knows what the forth dimension is or even if it exists.
博士 你说的不对
On the contrary, doctor
第四度空间就和其它三度空间一样如假包换
The fourth dimension is as real and true as the other three.
事实上 没有它 其它三度空间也就不存在了
In fact, they couldn't exist without it.
怎么说
What do you mean?
就拿那个盒子来说吧 它就像你说的那样有三度空间
Let's take that box. It has the first three dimensions as you say it.
盒子里究竟是什么
Alright, What's in that box?
我正要说呢
I'm coming to that.
我们先想想 为什么我们常常会忽略第四度空间
Let's consider this first. Why do we ignore the fourth dimension?
因为在那里面我们没有自♥由♥活动的能力
Because we can't move within it.
另外三度空间内就有
We can move in the other three:
上下 前后 左右 就像博士说的那样
Up, down, forward, sideways, backward. as the doctor said.
但是我们却是时间的囚犯
But when it comes to time, we are prisoners.
你懂吗
Do you follow me, Bridey?
不懂
No.
乔治...
George.
你虽然解释的很清楚 但我还是不懂
You've given a lucid explanation but I'm afraid I don't understand.
华特 世上你不懂的事不少吧
Walter, look, There are many things you don't understand, aren't there?
那当然
Quite a number.
但是你不会因此而拒绝相信那些事吧
Yet you don't refuse to believe in them in course of that,do you?
只要我能看到真凭实据当然会相信
Not if I can see the proof of my own eyes.
很好 华特
Good, Walter.
各位 我郑重邀请各位
Gentlemen, all I'm asking you to do now...
前来目睹示范
is to witness a demonstration
在第四度空间活动的可能性
of the possibility of movement, within the fourth dimension.
博士 麻烦帮我一下
Doctor, can I have your help?
没问题
Certainly.
好漂亮
It's beautiful!
令人惊叹
Remarkable.
很不错 乔治
Very nice, George.
真引人入胜
Fascinating.
那是什么东西
What is it?
这只是迷你实验模型
This is only an experimental model.
要载人的话得做的大一些
To carry a man, a larger edition is needed.
载人
To carry a man?
载到哪里去
Where?
回到过去或进入未来 这是时光机
Into the past or into the future. This is a time machine.
乔治 你玩笑开够了吧 这玩意儿究竟是什么
You've had your joke. Tell us what this contraption is really for.
我已经说了
I've already told you. doctor.
大型时光机 可以载人进行时光旅行
The larger model can be used to carry a passenger on a journey through time.
虽然空间不变 但可在时光内穿梭
Not through space, but through time.
乔治 如果你到未来去的话会搞乱现在吗
If you go to the future, won't you mess things up for us?
未来已经存在了 没有人能改变
The future's already there. It cannot be changed.
这我就不确定了
I wonder. That's the most
我也很想找出这个问题的答案
important question which I hope to find a answer.
人能控制自己的命运吗
Can man control his destiny?
他能改变未来吗
Can he change the shape of things to come?
乔治 你要是脑筋不正常 那我原谅你
If you've gone mad, I forgive you.
如果你害我们浪费这么多时间 就是要听你...
But if you're wasting our time...
不...博士 我请你是来看的 而不是来听的
No! You're here as witnesses. To see, not to listen.
看 看什么
To see? What?
看我即将进行的实验 我先来解释一下它的原理
The experiment I'm about to perform. Let me tell you how it works.
后面是时光旅行的人坐的地方
Yeah, in this compartment she'll see the saddle where the time traveler sits.
前面是控制面板
and in front of it, are the controls.
等等 要解释就不要马虎 借我根雪茄吧
Let's do this properly. You can spare a cigar, I trust?
假设这根雪茄是时光旅行者
Let us imagine that this cigar is the time traveler.
前方是控制行动的控制杆
in front of him, is the lever which controls movement.
向前推就可进入未来
Forward pressure sends the machine into the future,
向后拉就回到过去