我想这就结束了。
I guess that ends it.
- 答案是什么,吉姆? - 这不是我的问题。
- What's the answer, Jim? - It isn't my problem.
但如果是这样,从今以后你们俩就不能再被人看到在一起了。
But if it were, you two wouldn't be seen together from now on.
等等...面对流言蜚语,你连第一关都过不了。
Now wait... You can't get to first base against a whispering campaign.
我能插句话吗?
Could I get a word in here?
也许凯的友谊对我来说比所有这些政♥治♥...这就是我想听的,格兰特。
Perhaps Kay's friendship means more to me than all this political... That's all I wanted to hear, Grant.
吉姆说得对。从现在开始我们不要再见面了。
Jim's right. We don't see each other from now on.
我知道她会有那种感觉,而且我相信她会在下一步行动上同意我的看法。
I knew she'd feel that way about it, and I'm sure she'll agree with me on the next step.
我认为马修斯太太应该下来陪在她丈夫身边。
I think Mrs. Matthews should be down here with her husband.
我希望她能陪他一起走这趟旅程。好了,吉姆。
And I'd like to see her make this trip with him. Now, Jim.
康诺弗兄弟,就这样吧。
Brother Conover, that does it.
你刚刚结束了有史以来最短的政♥治♥竞选活动。
You have just ended the shortest political campaign on record.
要是我妻子知道我有当美国总统的念头,你根本不了解我妻子。
If my wife knew that I was even thinking of myself as President of these United States, you just don't know my wife.
- 她会每两分钟就叫我"小睡虫"。 - "小睡虫"?
- She'd call me Nappy every other minute. - "Nappy"?
小拿。这是拿破仑的简称。
Nappy. That's short for Napoleon.
每当我有点得意忘形时——这种情况经常发生——她就这么叫我。- 我明白格兰特的意思。
That's what she calls me when I get a little too big for my britches, - which is quite often. - I know what Grant means.
世界上到处都是把时间花在剪断丈夫翅膀上的妻子们。
The world is full of wives who devote their time to clipping their husbands' wings.
凯,这么说对玛丽不太公平。
Now Kay, that isn't quite fair to Mary.
康诺弗先生,我不希望您对我妻子产生误解。
Mr. Conover, I don't want you to get the wrong impression about my wife.
她是个非常有魅力的女人,也非常聪明。
She's a very attractive woman and a very bright one.
只是,你知道,一个男人能承受的批评是有限度的。
It's just, you know, a man can just take so much criticism.
如果你成为候选人,就得承受很多批评。
If you become a candidate, you'll have to take a lot of criticism.
是啊。你妻子对你来说可能是很好的锻炼。让你变得更坚强。
Yeah. Your wife might be good training for you. Toughen you up.
我们必须制止这些流言蜚语,马修斯先生。
We've got to kill this gossip, Mr. Matthews.
美国人♥民♥希望看到候选人和他的妻子一起参加竞选活动。
The American people want to see a candidate and his wife campaign together.
这是美国的传统。否则你就彻底没戏了。
It's an American tradition. Otherwise you can forget the whole thing.
我早警告过你,我对政♥治♥一窍不通。
I warned you I had no talent for politics.
我可没想过拿我妻子当幌子。
I wouldn't think of using my wife as a smoke screen.
她有必要知道吗?回答你的问题,是的。
Would she have to know? In answer to your question, yes.
我就是这么说的。
That's what I said.
你知道,我对你还没有完全拿定主意。
You know, I haven't quite made up my mind about you.
康诺弗先生,我有件事要告诉你。
Mr. Conover, I'm going to tell you something.
就目前情况而言,我不太确定我妻子会愿意和我出去吃饭,更不用说进行这样的旅行了。
As things now stand, I'm not too sure that my wife would go out and have dinner with me, much less make a trip like this.
但我还是要说,我本可以成为一位非常出色的总统。
But I still say, I would've made a darn good president.
要跳支舞吗?
Shall we dance?
- 现在怎么办? - 福斯迪克参议员来了。
- Now what? - Senator Fosdick is here.
- 是前参议员福斯迪克。 - 见鬼,那个跛脚鸭现在又想干什么?
- Ex-Senator Fosdick. - Blast, what does that lame-duck want now?
跛脚?上次选举折了他的双翼。
Lame? The last election broke both his wings.
把他安置在某个地方吧。说不定哪天他又会当选。
Put him somewhere. He may get elected again sometime.
我的房♥间是唯一还没住满的。
My room's the only one that's not full up.
我二十分钟内就能离开。
I can be out of mine in 20 minutes.
不,不,不。先给他一杯酒,我们稍后再安顿他。
No, no, no. Give him a drink, we'll get him settled later.
政客们似乎认为付酒店账单是违法的。
Politicians seem to think there's a law against paying hotel bills.
回到您妻子的话题上,马修斯先生,她已经超过 21 岁了。
Getting back to your wife, Mr. Matthews, she's over 21.
你不觉得最公平的方式是让她自己决定吗?
Don't you think the fairest thing would be to let her decide herself?
格兰特知道什么公平什么不公平。
Grant knows what's fair and what isn't.
再说,他还有个重要得多的电♥话♥要打。记得吗?
Besides, he has a much more important call to make. Remember?
我儿子的生日!我早该打电♥话♥的。能用一下那个吗?
My boy's birthday! I should've phoned long ago. May I use that?
请。谢谢。
Please. Thank you.
这里的号♥码是多少?6530 区。用私人电♥话♥。
What's the number here? District 6530. Use the private phone.
这个?没错。
This one? That's right.
这里是 6530 区。
This is district 6530.
我正往长岛的大树林打电♥话♥。
I'm calling Greatwood, Long Island.
对,号♥码是 247,麻烦您了。
Yeah, the number is 247. Please.
小家伙今天八岁了。
The little guy is eight today.
格兰特,你会和玛丽通话的。
You'll talk to Mary, Grant.
你要我这么做吗?
You want me to?
只要能让你回到属于你的地方,我什么都愿意。
I want anything that will get you where you belong.
当然是邀请她留在这里啊。
Invite her to stay here, of course.
一个男人要是没让妻子知道就当选总统,那怎么可能呢?
No way for a fellow to be elected president without his wife knowing about it, is there?
喂?你好,斯文森。你好,巴克,最近怎么样?
Hello? Hello, Swenson. Hello, Buck, how are you?
让马修斯太太接电♥话♥。
Put Mrs. Matthews on.
怎么这么吵?哦,是生日派对啊。
What's all the noise? Oh, the birthday party.
喂?你好,乔伊斯!最近好吗,亲爱的?
Hello? Hello, Joyce! How are you, sweetheart?
这是我女儿,她 10 岁了。
It's my daughter, she's 10.
嗯。
Hmm.
你好,布奇,是你吗,儿子?你怎么样?
Hello, Butch, is that you, son? How are you?
生日快乐!
Happy birthday!
呃,我现在唱不了。
Well, uh, I can't sing it now.
喂,布奇。你好?你好,玛丽。
Yeah, Butch. Hello? Hello, Mary.
玛丽,你能让孩子们别占着另一条电♥话♥线吗?
Mary, could you get the kids off the other phone?
玛丽,我不能在这儿唱。是啊。
Mary, I can't sing it here. Yeah.
现在别叫我纳皮。
Now don't call me Nappy.
不...好吧好吧,你肯定会喜欢这个的。
No... Okay, okay. You'll love this.
祝你生日快乐 祝你生日快乐 杜鲁门会赢得音乐选票。
Happy birthday to you Happy birthday to you Truman's gonna get the musical vote.
生日快乐亲爱的格兰特 祝你生日快乐 走调?我才没走调。
Happy birthday, dear Grant Happy birthday to you Flat? I was not flat.
听着玛丽,我现在在华盛顿特区,我要去参观那些工厂。
Look, Mary, I'm here in Washington, D.C. , and I'm going to make a tour of the plants.
你好,布奇...听着,玛丽,玛丽,电♥话♥里说这事儿有点太费劲了。
Hello, Butch... Look, Mary, Mary, it's a little too tough over the phone.
你能下来一趟吗,你觉得呢?好的。
Could you come down here, do you suppose? Yeah.
我们会和吉姆·科诺弗待在一起。
We'll stay with Jim Conover.
科诺弗!
Conover!
他有点像个业余演员。
He's a sort of a ham.
我会把地址发给你,玛丽...玛丽,求你快过来好吗?好的,亲爱的。
I'll send you the address, Mary... Mary, come please, will you? All right, dear.
好的好的,布奇。是的是的,我知道。
Yes, yes, Butch. Yeah, yeah, I know.
好的,乔伊斯。再见,甜心。再见。
Yes, Joyce. Goodbye, sweetheart. Goodbye.
她要来吗?
She's coming?
是的,是的,愿老天保佑我。
Yes, yes, heaven help me.
等她到了这里,要把整件事都告诉她。
And when she gets here, she's to be told the whole story.
如果她改变主意要回家,谁也不准阻拦她。
If she decides to change her mind and go back home, nobody is to interfere with her.
-明白了吗?-这世界真有趣。
- Is that understood? - Funny world.
我要你当总统,这样我就能回纽约,而你带着妻子周游全国。
I want you to be President, so I go back to New York and you tour the country with your wife.
政♥治♥造就奇怪的同盟。
Politics make strange bedfellows.
进来吧。
Come in.
你好,格兰特。
Hello, Grant.
民众的选择如何?
How's the people's choice?
这个绝妙的想法让我沉浸于自我思考,以至于忘了还有他人存在。
This fantastic notion had me thinking about myself so much, I forgot there were others.
仅仅是和家里通个电♥话♥就让你这样了?
Just talking home on the phone did that to you?
玛丽和孩子们不是随便想想就能抛开的,凯。
Mary and the kids can't be dismissed with a wave of the mind, Kay.
还在被那些小枷锁拖着走呢,是吧,格兰特?
Still dragging around some of those little chains, aren't you, Grant?
什么枷锁?
What chains?
就是那些中产阶级道德的小枷锁,自古以来一直束缚着大人物们。
Those little chains of middle-class morality that've kept big men down, all through the ages.
没什么能拖垮我,我只是想把一切都摊开来说。
Nothing's dragging me down. I just want everything out in the open.
不再躲藏在黑暗中。不再左右逢源,两面讨好。
No more hiding in the dark. No more playing both ends against the middle.
- 也别提白宫了。- 对,凯,别提白宫了。
- And no White House. - No, Kay, no White House.
听起来本就像痴人说梦。
Sounded like a pipe dream, anyway.
对我来说可不是梦,格兰特。我相信你。
No pipe dream to me, Grant. I believe in you.
我知道你会的,凯。
I know you do, Kay.
我也深知你对我意味着什么。
And I know just what you've meant to me.
- 但是... - 不过,先坐下。
- But... - But, sit down.
听着,格兰特。你以为我不知道如果你竞选总统,我会面临什么吗?
Look, Grant. Don't you suppose I knew what was going to happen to me if you ran for president?
难道你以为我不知道吗?若想入主白宫,必然会有个玛丽存在。
Don't you suppose I knew there had to be a Mary if there was going to be any White House?
你心知肚明,但这并不会让事情变得简单。
Your knowing it doesn't make it easier.
我可曾要求过要轻松半分?
Have I asked for it any easier?
我是这段三角关系里承受最多打击的那个角。
I'm the corner of this triangle that'll take the beating.
我不会让你挨那顿打的。
I'm not going to let you take that beating.
不,你会的!
Yes, you are!
去追求最大最好的目标。
Go after the biggest and the best there is.
你会成为一位伟大的总统。
You'll make a great president.
如果有人受苦,如果我受苦,那又怎样?
And if somebody suffers, if I suffer, so what?
就像我父亲常说的,“生活就是战争,别计较伤亡。”
As my father used to say, "Life is war, don't count the casualties."
听着,格兰特,我想我了解你。而且我知道我爱你。
Look, Grant, I think I know you. And I know I love you.
如果你在白宫,我也会在白宫,无论我在纽约还是在月球。
If you're in the White House, I'll be in the White House, whether I'm in New York or on the Moon.
你是个好姑娘,凯。
You're a great gal, Kay.
进来吧。
Come in.
- 哦?开会?我马上回来。- 不不不,快进来,吉姆。
- Oh? Conference? I'll be back. - No, no, no, come on in, Jim.
我想我要去检查一下白宫的管道。
I think I'll go down and inspect the plumbing at the White House.
回头见。
I'll see you later.
- 吉姆,有个大块头。 - 是啊。
- There's a mighty big man, Jim. - Yes.
大块头,机会却渺茫。
Mighty big man, with a mighty small chance.
哦?
Oh?
电影精选列表