"Why don't you go home, kid?"
霍顿·考尔菲德继续喝酒
Holden Caulfield went on drinking.
是我 杰里·塞林格 我想和奥娜谈谈
Hello, it's me, Jerry Salinger, I just wanna speak to Oona.
她睡着了 你为什么这么晚打电♥话♥来
She's asleep. Why are you calling so late?
"我是霍顿·考尔菲德 我能和莎莉说话吗"
"This is me, Holden Caulfield, can I speak to Sally, please?"
没有什么重要的事
It doesn't have to be anything serious.
你真虚伪 你是骗子 - 不 我不是骗子
You're just such a phony! You are! - No. I'm not a phony.
你去死吧 别这么说
You go to hell! Don't say that..
奥娜 - 干嘛
Oona? - What?
奥娜 我明天可以打电♥话♥给你吗
Oona, can I call you tomorrow?
他的牙齿剧烈地打颤
His teeth chattering violently
霍顿·考尔菲德站在角落
Holden Caulfield stood on the corner
等着麦迪逊大道的公车
and waited for the Madison Avenue bus.
那是
It was..
漫长的等待
...a long wait.
不 我们没有点香槟
No, we...we didn't order champagne.
我点的
I did.
我叫你来是为了庆祝
I asked you here so we could celebrate.
庆祝什么啊
Uh, ce...celebrate what?
我有一些令人振奋的消息
I have some exciting news.
"纽约客"编辑读了《冲出麦迪逊的轻度反叛》
"The New Yorker" read "Slight Rebellion Off Madison."
他们想出版之
And they want to publish it.
"纽约客"吗 - 是的
"The New Yorker?" - Yes!
他们喜欢你的霍顿·考尔菲德的性格
They love your Holden Caulfield character
他们觉得他完全是原创的
they feel he's completely original.
我真为你高兴 杰里
I'm so happy for you, Jerry.
"纽约客"吗 我简直不敢相信
"The New Yorker." I can't believe it!
相信吧 亲爱的
Well, believe it, my love.
敬发布
To publishing.
可喜可贺
It really is everything.
现在 他们有几条注释
Now, they have a couple of notes
他们要你解决
that they want you to address.
注释吗 - 是的
Notes? - Yes.
所有的作家都必须经历 所有杂♥志♥社都一样
All writers have to go through this with every magazine
"纽约客"的注释 是最多的
and "The New Yorker" has more notes than most.
他们希望所有的故事都
They want all their stories to have
具有"纽约客"的风格
a "New Yorker" signature to them.
如果我不想被注释呢
What if I don't want to do the notes?
他们把故事的问题告诉了我
They told me their problems with the story.
要我告诉你吗
Should I tell you?
好的 告诉我问题
Sure. Sure. Okay. Tell me their problems.
首先他们认为 霍顿的酗酒很贸然
First off, they think Holden's drinking comes out of nowhere.
他们更想写清楚 他是个酒鬼
They want it to be clearer he's an alcoholic.
不 但他不是酒鬼 他
No, but...he's not an alcoholic, he's..
他只是喝醉了 因为他对那个姑娘很沮丧
He's just getting drunk because he's depressed about the girl.
他们认为写得还不清楚
Well, they think that's unclear.
我认为完全够清楚的
I don't, I think that's perfectly clear.
嗯 也许你可以稍微调整一下
Well, maybe you can make a slight adjustment
以免对某些人造成困惑
so it's not confusing for some people.
此外 他们认为最好的结果是
Also, they think it would be nice if, in the end
霍顿和莎莉回到了一起
Holden and Sally got back together.
他们明确表示 并不需要写明白
They specifically said we don't need to see it
让读者感觉到 他们最终会一起 就行
we just want the reader to have a sense that they'll end up --
但他们最终不会在一起 事情不是这样的
But they don't end up together. That's not what happens.
为什么不行呢 - 因为人们不会最终在一起
Why not? - Because people don't end up together.
通常不是这样的
It usually doesn't work out.
我熟悉每一个该死的故事和所有该死的杂♥志♥
Okay, look, I know in every goddamn story, and every goddamn magazine
夫妇总是因为愚蠢的吻而相爱
the couple always falls in love with a stupid kiss
让我们感到温暖和舒适
to make us feel all warm and fuzzy
充满了圣诞欢呼 但这绝不是...
and full of Christmas cheer, but that's not
现实生活
what happens in real life.
现实中 总有人会心碎
Someone always gets their heart broken
需要很久才能恢复
and has a hard time getting over it.
有时 他们喝酒
Sometimes, they drink
因为他们不开心 但他们不是酗酒者
because they're upset, even though they're not alcoholics.
我只是想让我的写作真实些
I just want my writing to be truthful.
就这样
That's all.
你想让我告诉他们什么呢
So, what would you like me to tell them?
告诉他们 我对注释不在乎
Tell them I'm very open to notes
但霍顿不是个酒鬼 他们不会圆♥满♥结局的
but Holden's not an alcoholic, and they don't end up together.
这些是唯一的注释 杰里
Those are the only notes, Jerry.
好吧 告诉他们 我不会改变的
Well, tell them I won't make those changes.
你太有才华了
You're so talented.
陪奥娜跳支舞吗
Give Oona a little twirl?
那啥 我告诉奥娜"纽约客"了
So, get this, I told Oona about "The New Yorker.."
然后呢 - 我们已经出去三次了
And? - We've already been out three times.
敬"纽约客"
To "The New Yorker!" - To "The New Yorker!"
他们注释了没有啊
Did they have any notes?
谁啊 - "纽约客"
Who? - "The New Yorker."
他们有注释这个故事吗
Did they have any notes on the story?
没有
No.
他们喜欢这篇 我一点也不惊讶
Well, I'm not surprised they loved it.
霍顿的性格很棒
That Holden character is fantastic.
这正是我一直要你深挖的原因
It's exactly what I've been telling you about digging deeper.
我在写他的时候感觉到了
Yeah. Yeah, I...I felt it when I was writing him.
文思泉涌
It...just flowed out of me.
我想继续写他的故事
I want to keep writing stories about him.
你应该的
You should.
再来一杯
Another.
你还好吧 老大 - 啊
You okay there, boss? - Ah..
仅限于你我之间 "故事"杂♥志♥不太好
Between you and me, things aren't great at "Story."
资金很紧
Money is tight.
我是说 玛莎负责财政 而我
I mean, Martha watches the finances, and me.
显然 我还是花了太多钱
Apparently, I'm still spending too much money.
你得关掉它吗
You'll have to shut it down?
不 我们现在没事了
No, no, we'll be alright for now.
但对我们来说很艰难
But it's been tough on us.
我能看到
I got an eye.
我能认出一英里外的人才来
I can spot talent coming a mile away.
瑟罗恩 契弗 考德威尔
Saroyan, Cheever, Caldwell
全都是我发现的
I discovered them all.
当然 如果有人发现我 那就好了
Of course, it would be nice if somebody discovered me.
拜托 你已经出版过了
Hey, come on, you've been published.
我不仅发现了他们
I not only discovered them
我塑造了他们
I shaped them.
我挑战他们
I challenged them.
我家到了
This is me.
你应该
You should..
继续写霍顿
...continue to write about Holden
但不是短篇小说
but not as a short story.
等等
Well, hang on, wait. Wait, wait, wait.
你是什么意思
What do you mean?
我认为霍顿·考尔菲德值得写一部小说
I think Holden Caulfield is a novel.
不
No.
不 我 我写不出整本小说
No, I...I couldn't write a whole novel.
我是个速度型的 不是长跑型的
I'm a dash man, not a miler.
你这么说是因为你懒
You only say that because you're lazy.
霍顿·考尔菲德
Holden Caulfield..
值得写上一整本书 全是他自己
...deserves an entire book, all on his own.
一本小说 得写很多字
Well, a novel is a lot of words.
只是更多字罢了
It's just more words.
想象这本书
Imagine the book
是你想读的
that you would want to read.
然后去写吧
And then go write it.
妈妈
Hey! Mom.
怎么了
What's wrong?
妈妈
Mom.
什么事
Hey, what is it?
发生什么事了
What's happened?
中断广播 插播重要公报
We interrupt this broadcast to bring you this important bulletin
来自联合新闻社
电影精选列表