那些出来声援这个法案的修女们 就像这封信写的一样
Well, with all due respect to the nuns,
好吧 我并不想冒犯修女们 但恕我直言
when I deal, or when we're
当我处理 或者说当我们在
working on right-to-life issues,
处理生命权相关问题时
we don't call the nuns. I mean...
我们不会打电♥话♥给修女们让她们帮忙
When they asked me about it, they did catch me by surprise.
当他们问我这问题的时候 确实让我猝不及防
The media told me about it.
是媒体告诉我的
Why are the bishops more reliable than the nuns?
为什么主教比修女更可靠
Well, because I don't think I've ever been in...
因为我想我从未被
In my 18 years, I don't think I ever have been contacted
在我18年的议员生涯里 从未有任何修女
by the nuns on legislation. You know, seldom do you see it,
在立法的问题上联络过我 你懂的 很少见
they're not considered one of the groups
她们都不被看作是
that's actively involved up here on issues.
积极参与这些问题的团体之一
They may surface, they may write a letter,
她们可能会露面 可能会写封信
but they're not up here talking with members, and they're
但她们不会上这儿来和其他成员讨论
not the recognised spokesperson for the Catholic Church.
她们也不是受到认可的天主教会发言人
I met with certain members of Congress who were pro-life,
我见过某些反堕胎的国会议员
and who had the same concerns we had, and it really wasn't
他们有着和我们相同的担心
so much an attempt to persuade,
说服人们所花的工夫远没有
as to explain how we got to where we were.
解释我们是怎样取得现有成果的多
People who actually understand how the health care system works,
真正懂得医保系统是如何工作的人们
like Sister Carol, and understood how the bill worked,
比如像修女卡罗 以及懂得这法案如何施行的人们
ended up just having a lot more knowledge of reality.
最后会对现实有多一点的了解
She brought the CHA into a position where publicly
她把天主教健康协会带到了
they were opposed to the bishops.
一个公开与主教对立的位置上
That's an extraordinary thing for somebody that calls themselves
这对于一个自称为天主教♥徒♥的人来说
Catholic to do, and so it also threatened
是非常了不起的 这举动也威胁到了
the unity of the Church, as well as influenced public policy.
教会的团结 同时也影响了公共政策的制定
The bishops either didn't
主教们要么就是根本
understand the bill or were trying to do
不懂这法案 要么就是试着
something other than... You know, just wanted to stop the bill,
做一些事情 你懂的 就是想阻止这法案通过
so we were never going to find common ground with them.
所以我们永远也不会和他们有共同立场
With the bishops. But the nuns, thank God for the nuns.
和那些主教们 但是修女们 感谢上帝 我们还有她们
Stupak's anti-abortion coalition had shrunk to six.
斯图帕克的反堕胎联盟萎缩到只剩6人
If the White House could win them over,
如果白宫能把那6人也争取过来
Obama would have the 218 votes he needed.
奥巴马就能凑齐他所需的218票
He had one more weapon,
他还有一个武器
he could issue an executive order, a presidential
他可以颁布行政命令 一个总统级别的
decree that guaranteed abortion rules were not going to change.
保证了堕胎法律不会改变的命令
We knew if we put it out there too soon,
我们知道如果我们太早颁布这命令
the idea of the executive order from the President,
来自总统的行政命令这一做法
that the opposition would form around it
会招来很多反对的声音
and there would be something wrong with it,
因此也会带来问题
and on the other side, the women members would get more upset
另一方面 女性国会议员也会更加愤怒
and it just wouldn't work,
所以根本不会奏效
so it was on purpose a last-minute effort to resolve
因此就是故意让这行政命令作为最后一搏来解决
everyone's concerns and it had to be timed just exactly right.
所有人的担忧 它推出的时机必须刚刚好
Well, on this beautiful morning, we are here to mark the passage
在这美丽的早晨 让我们在此来铭记
of a welcome piece of legislation for our fellow Americans
一个备受在经济困难时期
who are seeking work in this difficult economy.
寻找工作的美国民众期待的法例条文(2011年通过的刺♥激♥就业法案)
Obama chose his moment carefully.
奥巴马谨慎地选择了这一时刻
Three days before the health care vote,
医保法案投票日的前三天
he invited Congressman Stupak to the signing of a jobs bill.
他邀请了议员斯图帕克来到工作法案的签署仪式
They have the bill signing ceremony,
他们举办了一个法案签署仪式
the President gets up, goes to the front row,
总统起立 走向前排
shakes all the sponsors' hands.
与所有法案倡议者握手
He sees me, he reaches across,
他看到了我 他伸出手来
"Hey, Bart!" "Hello, Mr President."
嘿 巴特 你好 总统先生
And he says, you know, "We got to talk."
然后他说 我们得谈谈
I said, "Just give me my amendment, we'll get this bill done."
我说 让我的修正案通过 然后我们就携手搞定医保法案
He said, "That ain't going to happen."
他说 那是不可能的
I said, "Then we probably don't have a bill, Mr President."
我说 那么我们可能根本没有法案可通过了 总统先生
He said, "We'll talk."
他说 我们再谈谈
Then they say, "Hey, Rahm wants to talk to you."
然后他们说 嘿 拉姆想跟你谈谈
So, I said, "Bart, what if we did the executive order?
所以我说 巴特 如果我们颁布行政命令呢
"We'd meet your objectives
这样就能达到你的目标
and allow you a path toward the President's."
还能给你留一条将来好与总统打交道的后路
At the end of the day he said, you know, there's two couches that
最后他说 你知道的 有两个
face each other, coffee
面向彼此的沙发椅
table and a fireplace, and the Chief Of Staff.
咖啡桌和一个壁炉 幕僚长
We sat across and worked out... I mean, two non-lawyers,
和我面对面坐着然后想出了 我是说 两个不是律师的人
we worked out the language around the executive order
想出了这行政命令该如何遣词用句
and I had the lawyers work with his team and draft it.
然后我们让律师及其团队起草了这命令
Stupak agreed.
斯图帕克同意了
As they finalised the executive order, Cardinal George phoned.
正当他们给行政命令收尾的时候 乔治主教打来电♥话♥
The conversation with Stupak
那通与斯图帕克的电♥话♥
was to encourage him, to ask him to be sure
是为了鼓励他 请求他要坚定地
to hold fast along with
与他之前有的那些极少数反堕胎的
the very few pro-life Democrats that he had.
民♥主♥党人站在一起
If I do what Cardinal George wanted, in other words,
如果我按照乔治主教的话做了 也就是说
at the end what he was encouraging me to do
到头来他还是鼓励我去
was to vote totally against health care
给这医保法案投反对票
because it did not have the Stupak amendment in there.
因为这法案没有附带上斯图帕克修正案
Now, if I stick my head in the sand and say,
现在 如果我把头埋进沙子里面 然后对自己说
"You will not get my vote, or the vote of my little coalition
你是不会得到我的赞同票的 也不会得到我的小联盟的票
"Unless I get what I want," And they don't give it to me,
除非我得到了我想要的 但是他们什么都不给我
and the whole bill goes down, what do I have?
然后整个法案无法通过 但是我又得到了什么
I have nothing, I have no health care,
我一无所有 连医保都没有
I have no protections for life.
我没有对生命的保障
Obama had hoped to pass health care in six months.
奥巴马本希望能在六个月内通过这法案
Now, a year after he started, they were going to the final vote.
现在 都过去一年了 他们要进行最终投票了
How's it going, guys? Are you going to get the votes, sir?
你们还好吗 伙计们 你能取得足够的票么 先生
We are going to get this done.
我们会把这事搞定的
Every vote's going to count because, when it's all said and done,
每一票都很重要 因为当一切尘埃落定的时候
this is going to be a very, very close vote.
这将是一个双方咬得很紧的投票结果
You used the word Armageddon, what did you mean by that?
你用了世界末日这个词 是什么意思呢
This health care bill will ruin our country.
这个医保法案将会毁了我们的国家
It's time to stop them. Got to vote.
是时候阻止他们了 去投票吧
Kill the bill!
扼杀这个法案
Kill the - bill! Kill the bill! Kill the bill!
扼杀这个法案 扼杀这个法案 扼杀这个法案
Madam Speaker, are you ready to announce the verdict? 216.
议长女士 你准备好宣布投票结果了么 216票
Do you have 216, Madam Speaker?
你有216票了么 议长夫人
A lot of us were in the Roosevelt Room, watching it.
我们有很多人在罗斯福厅 观看着
Rahm and I had a side bet about a couple of members,
拉姆和我对于是否能拿到一些国会议员的票
whether we'd get them or not.
打了一个小赌
On this vote, the yeas are 220,
这一次投票 赞同票220票
the nays are 211.
反对票211票
The bill is passed.
法案通过
It was one of those moments that you...
那就是能让你想起
that reminds you of why you got into politics in the first place.
自己当初为何从政的时刻之一
When we work in government, every day is history.
当我们在政♥府♥工作的时候 每一天都是历史
Whatever the bill is, that becomes part of history.
无论这个法案是什么 它都成了历史的一部分
I think of it as little history and big history,
我把它想成是小历史与大历史
and that night, as we were passing health care reform,
那一晚 我们通过了医保改革
that was big history.
那是大历史
I had a bunch of my staff up here to the White House residence
我有一群同事来到白宫寓所
and we went up on the Truman Balcony and toasted
然后我们上去了杜鲁门阳台 并且向
all these 25-year-olds and, you know,
这些25岁左右的年轻人敬酒 你懂的
a bunch of people who had worked so hard.
一群为此努力工作的人
Michelle and his daughters were away at the time so the guys
米歇尔和女儿们当时不在 所以我们这些家伙
had the run of the apartment
掌管了这个寓所
and decided to have a frat house party.
并决定开一个兄弟联谊会派对
It was a very casual party. One of my favourite pictures,
那真是个很随意的派对 我最喜欢的照片之一
and I'm sure the President probably didn't put this one out,
我敢肯定总统应该没有把这照片放出来
but he's holding a martini - probably why he didn't put it out -
他举着一杯马提尼酒 可能这就是为什么他没把照片放出来
but just the smile on his face is just, you can tell
但他脸上的笑容就是 你可以看出来
it was just the best moment of his life.
那真是他人生中最美好的时刻
Other than his marriage,
除了他结婚那天吧
I don't know that I've ever seen him quite
我不知道我是否有看到过他
that happy, and so I asked him, in the wee hours of the morning,
如此开心的样子 所以我问他 在凌晨时分
how he felt that night, compared to election night.
电影精选列表