Mmhmm.
我们得顺路去接卢戴克。
We gotta pick up Ludecke on the way.
他是怎么想的?
What does he think?
他觉得可能是只大猫,但我已经有三四年没在这附近看到过了。
Well, he thinks it might be a big cat, but I haven't seen one around here for three or four years.
-有可能,但我认为可能性不大。
- It's possible, but I don't think it's likely.
我听起来更像土狼。
It sounds more like coyotes to me.
这里有很多这样的人。
There's a lot of them around here.
可能是狼。
Could be wolves.
不,他们都在北方。
No, they're all up north.
对不起。
Sorry.
你见过这样的东西吗?
Did you ever see anything like that?
给你,没关系。
Here, that's okay.
给你,宝贝。
Here you go, baby.
没关系,放轻松,姑娘。
That's okay, take it easy, girl.
不是土狼。
It's not coyotes.
狼,也许?
Wolves, maybe?
是的,也许吧。
Yeah, maybe.
不过这很有趣。
It's funny though.
什么?
What?
咬口半径不一致。
The bite radii are inconsistent.
_嗯?
_ Hmm?
嘴巴的大小。
The size of the mouth.
有些比其他的大。
Some of them are bigger than others.
也许是一整包?
Maybe a whole pack of them?
还是一个家庭?
Or a family?
是的,也许吧。
Yeah, maybe.
在这种光线下我看不清。
I can't really tell in this light.
-那我们为什么不把它装到我的卡车里然后运回牧场呢?
- Well, why don't we load it up in my truck and take it back to the ranch?
明天你可以找个时间看看。
You can look at it some time tomorrow.
那到底是什么?
Well, what the hell is it?
我的股票要完蛋了。
Something's killin' my stock.
-好吧,我们在白天看看,然后就知道了。
- Yeah, well, we'll look at it in the daylight, and then we'll know.
来吧,我需要一杯啤酒。
Now come on, I need a beer.
那些绿色的东西是什么?
What's all that green stuff?
嗯?
Hmm?
哦,大麦。
Oh, barley.
再过几周就没了。
It'll be gone in a couple of weeks.
黄色的呢?
And the yellow?
芥末。
Mustard.
-如果在研究中有一个地方可以让人平静和安静,那就是这里。
- If there was ever a place for peace and quiet in research, this is it.
-是啊,等你来了一段时间再说吧。
- Yeah, well wait 'til you've been here a while.
我不想激发你的热情,但作为一个严肃科学家的地方,恐怕物质气候比精神气候更肥沃。
Well, I don't want to whet your enthusiasm, but as a place for serious scientists, I'm afraid the physical climate is quite a bit more fertile than the mental one.
你会发现,在表面之下,这里都是梦想家,而不是实干家。
You'll find that beneath the surface, this place is full of dreamers, not doers.
更不用说那些健谈的人了。
Not to mention the talkers.
你为什么留在这里?
Why do you stay here?
安全。
Security.
我相信尝试改变体制而不是退出。
I believe in attempting to change the system rather than dropping out.
不幸的是,我几乎是孤军奋战。
Unfortunately, I'm pretty much alone in my crusade.
要知道,烂事从一年级就开始了。
You know, the rot starts in first grade.
有一半时间,孩子们坐在一起串珠。
Half the time, the kids sit around and thread beads.
但是老师们不再坚持让每个人坐下来学习基本的技能了。
But teachers don't insist that everyone sit down and learn the basic skills anymore.
你会对这里所有学生的书写、拼写和语法水平感到震惊。
You'll be horrified at the standard of penmanship, spelling and grammar throughout the student body here.
我以前的教授会得冠心病的。
My old professor would have had a coronary.
-好吧,这和研究生学习有什么关系?
- Well, what does all that got to do with post-graduate studies?
这是同样的态度。
Well, it's the same attitude.
实践让位于思想。
The practical takes second place to the ideological.
在整个系统里都有。
It's all the way through the system.
一个对自己专业知识一般的花言巧语的人可以为自己争取到研究奖学金。
It's getting to where a fancy talker with an average knowledge of his subject can wrangle himself a research fellowship.
这太荒谬了。
It's bloody ridiculous.
那是著名的直线加速器吗?
Is that the famous linear accelerator?
-对,就是这样。-今晚去你家?
- Yeah, that's it. - Your place tonight?
我想找个时间去看看。
I'd like to visit that some time.
你会发现这并不容易。
You won't find that so easy.
他们在安保上花的钱比在研究上花的钱还多。
They spend more money over there on security than they do on research.
线性加速器有什么秘密?
What's so secret about a linear accelerator?
问题是,他们都是偏执狂。
The trouble is, they're all paranoid.
当你智商达到200,心态却只有9岁小孩时,就会发生这种事。
It's what happens when you get lQs of 200 and the mentalities of nine year olds.
在这里筹集资金的时候,他们会对你做什么?
What do they do with you when it comes time to raise funds around here?
他们把我锁在壁橱里。
They lock me in a closet.
我从小就被教育要努力工作。
Well, I was brought up to believe in work, hard work.
而且尽可能是原创的。
And original, wherever possible.
科学领域不仅有逻辑思维和推测的支撑,还有仔细记录的证据。
And the field of science backed up not just by logical thinking and speculation, but by carefully documented proof.
这就导致了实际实验。
And that results in practical experimentation.
其他一切都是纯粹的放纵。
Everything else is sheer indulgence.
-我想你是指我在ABAC之前的论文吧?
- I take it you're referring to my paper before the ABAC?
-毫无疑问你是个理论天才,迈克尔,但这在我的书里毫无意义除非你能用有效的科学研究来支持。
- Well, there's no doubt you're a theoretical genius, Michael, but that doesn't mean a damn thing in my book unless you can back it up with valid scientific research.
你这么想我很遗憾,哈兰。
I'm sorry you feel that way, Harlan.
费洛蒙诱导行为的发现并不是什么新鲜事。
The discovery of pheromone-induced behavior is nothing new.
我们在鱼类身上观察到。
We have observed it in fish.
在昆虫。
In insects.
我们在飞蛾中观察到并鉴定出了它。
We have observed it and identified it in moths.
这是一群木蚁。
This is a colony of carpenter ants.
蚂蚁们似乎在一起积累智力,就像它们所拥有的那样。
Together, the ants seem to accumulate intelligence, as they have it.
两到三只蚂蚁开始把小球从一个地方移到另一个地方。
Two or three ants will begin moving pellets from place to place.
随着越来越多的人加入,他们似乎达到了一个临界质量。
As more join in, they seem to reach a critical mass.
法定人数。
A quorum.
类似思考的事情开始了。
And something akin to thinking begins.
蚂蚁的嗅觉刺♥激♥是被称为信息素的碳链分子,它们会集体聚集起来,而不是漫无目的地移♥动♥小球。
The olfactory stimuli that sets the ants off, building collectively, as opposed to shifting pellets aimlessly, are the carbon chain molecules known as pheromones.
非常重要的。
Very important.
让蚂蚁出发的嗅觉刺♥激♥,会集体产生信息素。
The olfactory stimuli that sets the ants off, building collectively, pheromones.
先生?
Sir?
_是吗?
_ Yes?
-你能给我们讲讲信息素的定义吗?
- Would you give us the definition for pheromones, please?
是的。
Yes.
一种有机体产生的特定化学物质,当它被释放到外部时,会引起同物种的另一有机体行为的改变
A specific chemical substance produced by an organism which when released externally causes a change in behavior of another organism of the same species.
你能再说一遍吗?
Could you repeat that again, please?
-不,你得下课后找别人要。
- No, you'll have to get that from someone else after class.
现在,蚂蚁聚集在足够多的数量,似乎能够以一种独特的目的和智慧行动。
Now, the ants, gathered in sufficient numbers, seem to be capable of acting with a singularity of purpose, and intelligence.
据推测,它们的行为是由一系列复杂的分子科学引发的。
It is presumed that their behavior is triggered by a complex array of molecular science.
你的意思是整个蚂蚁社会的行为就好像它们只有一种智力一样?
You mean the whole society of ants acts as if it has a single intelligence?
是的,没错。
Yes, exactly.
整体大于各部分之和。
The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
单个的蚂蚁,无法独自充当建造者,突然创造并执行令人难以置信的复杂建筑设计。
Individual ants, incapable of acting as builders by themselves, suddenly create and execute incredibly complex architectural designs.
是吗?
Yes?
-这种现象在其他物种中也会发生吗?
- Does this phenomenon occur in other species?
不,就像我刚才说的,它发生在许多昆虫、鱼类和鸟类身上。
No, as I said a moment ago, it occurs in many insects, in fish, in birds.
也有零散的证据表明哺乳动物也会发生这种情况。
There's also scattered evidence it occurs in mammals.
然而,这些证据非常粗略。
And that evidence, however, is extremely sketchy.
到目前为止,我们还不能得出任何明确的结论。
As yet, we cannot draw any definite conclusions.
你是说我可能会释放气味来告诉别人该怎么做?
You mean that I might be releasing odors that tell other people what to do?
你是个很棒的直男,霍华德。
You make a great straight man, Howard.
好了,现在看。
All right, now watch.
一种简单的氮化合物,如果我用足够的量,它会窒息它们的嗅觉传感器。
A simple nitrogen compound, if I were to apply it in sufficient quantities, it would smother their olfactory sensors.
信息素信息将被封锁,因此,没有更多的建设。
Pheromone information would be blocked, and thus, no more building.
这个理论也适用于人类吗?
Could this theory be applied to human beings as well?
我们没有证据证明这一点。
Well, we have no evidence of that.
那么,信息素的反应会有潜在的危险吗?
Well, might the pheromone reaction become potentially dangerous?
可能吗?
Potentially?
你不能排除这种可能性。
You can't rule out the possibility.
这是奇怪的。
It's strange.
他们肢解了它,但没有吃它。
They mutilated it, but they didn't feed on it.
这就排除了土狼。
That rules out coyotes.
那些混♥蛋♥,这是四个人头,我可负担不起。
Them bastards, this makes four head, and I can't afford that.
我要拿枪杀了那两个混♥蛋♥。
I'm gonna get my gun and kill them son of a bitches.
-你是个牧场主,拉里,不是猎人。
- You're a, you're a rancher, Larry, not a hunter.
-见鬼,我这辈子都在开枪。
- Hell, I've been shootin' a gun all my life.
J1滚过去,滚过去J1他们都滚过去,一个掉出来J1床上有10个人,小的说J1滚过去,滚过去J1他们都滚过去,一个掉出来
J1 Roll over, roll over J1 Then they all rolled over, and one fell out J1 There were 10 in a bed and the little one said J1 Roll over, roll over J1 Then they all rolled over, and one fell out
床上有九只,小的说翻过去,翻过去。然后他们都翻过去,有一只掉了出来
J1 There were nine in the bed, and the little one said J1 Roll over, roll over J1 Then they all rolled over, and one fell out J1 There were nine in the bed, and the little one said
J1滚过去,滚过去J1然后他们都滚过去,一个掉出来J1床上有8个人,小的那个说J1滚过去,滚过去J1然后他们都滚过去,一个掉出来
J1 Roll over, roll over J1 Then they all rolled over, and one fell out J1 There were eight in the bed, and the little one said J1 Roll over, roll over J1 Then they all rolled over, and one fell out
我可以坐在你的腿上吗?
Can I sit on your lap?
你怎么看?