漂亮的狗。
Nice dog.
这就是计划。
That was the plan.
-那边的低辛烷值果汁怎么样?
- How about some of that low octane juice over there?
你想来点这个吗?
Oh, you want some of this?
就一点点眼泪?
Just a little tear?
我希望我能,但我不能。
I wish I could, but I can't.
不。
No.
消失。
Go away.
我住在澳大利亚。
I'm based in Australia.
我喜欢,我自己也在加州。
I like that, I'm in California myself.
我喜欢,我喜欢看太阳在海洋上闪烁。
I like, I like to see the sun glint on the ocean.
好了,格雷迪,走吧。
Okay, Grady, come on.
退后,格雷迪,快点,我放你出去。
Back off Grady, come on, I'll let you out.
给你。
Here you go.
有了迈克尔·菲茨杰拉德,我敢说西南大学现在是生物学领域排名前两三的大学研究中心之一。
With Michael Fitzgerald on your staff, I'd say that Southwestern is now among the top two or three college research centers in biology.
哈兰,你同意吗?
Wouldn't you agree, Harlan?
我知道他很厉害。
I uh, understand he's very good.
下来,恩格尔小姐。
Down, Miss Engle.
我是说,他是个天才。
I mean, I mean, he's a genius.
他自己也承认。
And by his own admission.
得了吧,哈兰。
Oh, come on, Harlan.
你很喜欢他在美国生物大会上的论文。
You loved his paper at the American Biological Convention.
我做了吗?
I did?
哦,你说,我引用一下"一个有趣的推测作品"
Oh, you said, and I quote, "An interesting speculative piece."
没错,关键字是推测性的。
Yeah, well, the keyword was speculative.
各位,他来了。
Here he is, everybody.
迈克尔·菲茨杰拉德,这位是哈兰·汤普森,生物系的系主任。
Uh, Michael Fitzgerald, I'd like you to meet Harlan Thompson, head of the biology department.
-我觉得我们好像认识对方。
- I feel as if we know each other.
我们的很多研究都是平行的。
So much of our research has been along parallel lines.
-是的,平行线是不应该相交的。
- Yeah well, parallel lines are not supposed to meet.
这是安特里医生-是的,我见过安特里医生。
And this is Dr. Aintry- Yes, I've met Dr. Aintry.
是的,我们有。
Yes, we have.
还有恩格尔小姐。
And Miss Engle.
你好。
Hello.
你好,菲茨杰拉德医生。
Hello, Dr. Fitzgerald.
我是英语系的卡洛琳·多诺霍。
I'm Caroline Donoghue of the English department.
你好。
Hello.
哦,又来了。
Oh, there we go again.
看来我们简单的握手导致了难以控制的电流激增。
Well, it seems our simple handshake has caused an unmanageable surge of electricity.
多么迷人的理论。
What a fascinating theory.
没有一个被充分研究过。
Not one that's been fully researched.
-别慌,大家都别慌。
- Um, don't, don't panic, anyone, don't panic.
亲爱的,你能再拿点蜡烛来吗?
Honey, uh, would you get some more candles, please?
好吧,亲爱的。
Okay, darling.
是那个该死的线性加速器。
It's that damned linear accelerator.
-有个白♥痴♥把它和学校的电线连在了一起。
- And some idiot put it on the same power line as the college.
那边有个政♥府♥机构在做高能粒子实验。
A government agency's doing some high energy particle experiments over there.
我不能再说了。
I can't say any more.
当那些特工想要什么东西时,他们很有说服力。
When those agency boys want something, they can be very persuasive.
反正这样更好。
It's better like this anyway.
更浪漫。
More romantic.
-科佩尔曼太太,浪漫是用来享受的,不是用来忍♥受的。
- Romance, Mrs. Koppelman, is meant to be enjoyed, not endured.
多诺霍女士,你总是对电力产生这种影响吗?
Do you always have this effect on the electricity, Ms. Donoghue?
你知道菲茨杰拉德博士最近发现了两种新粒子吗?
Did you know Dr. Fitzgerald that recent discoveries have come up with two new particles?
同时拥有-魅力部分?
Both with the properties and strength of- The charm part?
嗯。
Mmhmm.
我早就听说了——恩特里博士,看来物理系又搞砸了。
I had heard about that- - Well, Dr. Aintry, it seems that the Physics Department has blown it again.
恩,恩格尔小姐- _嗯?
Well, Miss Engle- _ Hmm?
-那些拿着加速器的秘密先生不会和我商量的。
- Those hush-hush gentlemen with the accelerator don't consult with me.
再说了,我是个理论物理学家,不是技术人员。
Besides, I'm a theoretical physicist, not a technician.
-我觉得这样你就能避免每隔一段时间就把整个校园的光都吸光了,安特里医生。
- Well, I should think that that would make you all the more able to avoid draining our entire campus of light at regular intervals, Dr. Aintry.
-嗯,如果他们对他们的实验不那么保密的话,我可能会去解决这个问题。
- Well, perhaps if they weren't so secretive about their experiments, I would go and solve the problem.
-恩特里博士,恐怕我们给新来的教员留下的第一印象不太好。
- Well, Dr. Aintry, I'm afraid we haven't made a very good first impression on our new faculty member.
为什么每个人都跟我说这个?
Why does everyone talk to me about this?
你为什么不跟工程师谈谈?
Why don't you talk to the engineers?
我对此无能为力。
I can't do a damn thing about it.
-菲茨杰拉德博士,每年春天都会有争论和教职工会议讨论我们该怎么处理飞船加速器从人类身上吸取能量的问题。
- Every spring, Dr. Fitzgerald, there's an argument and faculty meeting about what the hell we're going to do about the liner accelerator draining power from the people.
哦!
Oh!
哦,终于来了。
Oh, at last.
-呃,安特里医生,梅兰妮跟我说了一件你和一只狗的事。
- Uh, Dr. Aintry, Melanie was telling me about an incident involving you and a dog.
现在大家都听说了。
Oh well everybody's heard about that by now.
不,查理,告诉我们。
No, Charlie, tell us.
其实很简单。
Well, it was quite simple.
这是我第一次结婚后最可怕的经历。
The most frightening experience I've had since my first marriage.
他好像在给他的研究生讲课——就在讲课的时候,我被一只导盲犬袭击了。
Seems he was delivering a lecture to his graduate students- - And right in the middle of the lecture, I was attacked, by a seeing-eye dog.
有什么好笑的?
What's so funny?
你说被攻击是什么意思?
What do you mean, attacked?
-我正要解释粒子可以在时间里向后移♥动♥。
- I was just at the point where I was explaining that a particle could move backward through time.
突然,这只巨大的德国牧羊犬跳上讲台,开始做出敌意的姿态。
When all of a sudden, this enormous German Shepherd leapt up on the podium and began making hostile overtures.
绝对是威胁的手势,露出牙齿,等等。
Definitely threatening gestures, baring his teeth, and so forth.
哦,真的吗?
Oh really?
真的,恩格尔小姐。
Really, Miss Engle.
而且,我确信这个厚厚一层的家伙是要把我吞掉的。
And furthermore, I'm convinced that this slathering creature intended to devour me.
如果不是年轻的帕克在我和狗之间斡旋,并自己忍♥受了攻击,我也会这样做的。
And would have done, too, if it hadn't had been for young Parker, of football fame, who interceded between me and the dog and endured the attack himself.
我必须记住不能给那个白♥痴♥不及格。
I must remember not to flunk that idiot.
-看来没人被咬,也没人被咬。
- It seems that, uh, nobody was nipped, or munched.
不,恩格尔小姐。
No, Miss Engle.
只是吓得半死。
Only frightened half to death.
当然了。
Well, of course he was.
夏洛特,你取笑他真可耻。
Charlotte, shame on you for teasing him.
-我完全相信那是满月。
- I'm fully convinced that it was the full moon.
-一位科学家的有趣解释。
- An interesting explanation from a scientist.
-不,月亮对动物有影响。
- No, the moon does have an effect on animals.
谢谢你,哈兰。
Thank you, Harlan.
这是一个有趣的领域。
It's an interesting area.
-你会发现菲茨杰拉德博士尽管科佩尔曼博士的名字后面有一串学位,但他对政♥治♥科学比对进步科学更感兴趣。
- You'll find Dr. Fitzgerald that in spite of the string of degrees behind Dr. Koppelman's name, he's more interested in the science of politics than in the science of progress.
请原谅我们的叛逆,菲茨杰拉德医生。
Forgive our house rebel, Dr. Fitzgerald.
-莫顿,我觉得菲茨杰拉德医生需要续杯。
- Morton, I uh, I think Dr. Fitzgerald needs a refill.
来吧,亲爱的,我会照顾你的。
Come on darling, I'll take care of you.
-你们经常停电吗?
- Do you have power failures all the time?
哦,他们来了又走。
Oh, they come and they go.
他们来了又走。
They come and they go.
-我从没见过哈兰这样
- You know, I've never seen Harlan like this before.
他在这里的这段时间,他唯一感兴趣的生物都在他的显微镜下。
All the time he's been here, the only living thing he's shown any interest in has been uh, under his microscope.
我不知道是什么引起了他的感觉和注意?
I wonder what's aroused his senses and his attentiveness?
自然选择,亲爱的。
Natural selection, my dear.
适者生存。
Survival of the most fit.
是的。
Yes.
菲茨杰拉德医生很有趣。
Dr. Fitzgerald is, uh, very interesting.
他在很多方面都可以成为哈兰的竞争对手。
He could, um, be competition for Harlan in um, more ways than one.
-看看结果会很有趣,如果哈兰能把他的啤酒罐放下足够长时间来锁定喇叭。
- Well, it'd be interesting to see the results, if Harlan ever puts his beer can down long enough to lock horns.
新公♥寓♥怎么样?
How's the new pad?
很好。
Fine.
你们都搬进来了?
You all moved in?
是的。
Yes.
你有邻居了吗?
Have you got any neighbors yet?
不。
No.
上面是不是有点孤独?
Isn't it a bit lonely up there?
我从来不知道你会在乎。
I never knew you cared.
-你知道,当我被招募到这个地方的时候,它被描述为智力刺♥激♥和专注的天堂。
- You know, when I was recruited to come to this place, it was described to me as intellectually stimulating and a haven for concentration.
看看他们。
Look at them.
我的同事们。
My colleagues.
有时它们会吓到我。
Sometimes they frighten me.
吓唬你呢?
Frighten you?
是的,吓唬。
Yeah, frighten.
打扰一下,哈兰。
Excuse me, Harlan.
你让我如果有更多的牛被杀就通知你。
You asked me to notify you if any more cattle were killed.
拉里·卢戴克刚打来电♥话♥,他受够了这些杀人事件。
Larry Ludecke just called, and he's had it with these killings.
你要在这儿待一会儿吗?
You gonna be here a while?
嗯。