《集体诉讼》
The principle, Your Honor, is informed waiver,
法官阁下,原则是知情弃权
a concept deeply embedded in the black-letter law of this state.
一个铭刻于本州法典之中的概念
This is a simple case of a contract willingly and completely executed.
这是一个有意且完全履行合同的简单案件
Appeals to the contrary, based on emotion, have no place in a court of law.
相反,源于情绪的上诉则没有法律根据
- Objection!
反对!
- Order, order!
安静,安静!
This is not a court of law. You did not enter through a doorway.
这里不是法庭,你们穿过的不是入口
That, ladies and gentlemen, is the rabbit hole and we, like so many Alices,
女士们先生们,那是兔子洞,而我们就像一个个爱丽丝
have plunged through it directly into Wonderland.
跳进洞穴直抵仙境
Behold the Queen of Hearts, Carraghan Chemical.
看看这位红心女皇,凯瑞根化学公♥司♥
A company that has spewed its bile into the Leffingwell River for 17 years.
一个向莱芬韦尔河倾倒废物达十七年之久的公♥司♥
Plants wither. Children die.
花草枯萎,孩子夭折
And there isn't a court in the land that can stop them.
却不曾有法♥院♥来阻止他们
Finally, one man has had enough.
终于,有一个人受够了
Frustrated, desperate, he slams his truck into the plant manager's office
挫败而又绝望,他开着卡车冲进厂长办公室
and for one bright, shining day, that hellhole of a factory shuts down.
在这明朗的一天,工厂的排污口终于关闭了!
Do we honor him? Do we throw him a parade?
我们荣耀他了吗?我们在游♥行♥中将他扔起了吗?
Do we even say thank you?
哪怕是说一句谢谢?
No. He is put on trial.
没有,他却被推上法庭
- Welcome to the Mad Hatter's tea party.
欢迎来到疯帽子的茶党!
(《蝙蝠侠》系列中的反派角色)
- Objection!
反对!
Objection? Why not "Off with their heads"?
反对?为什么不说“砍他们的头”?
...paid him fully, according to the contract.
……依照合同向其全部付款
But now he wants more and he intends to get it by harassing my client.
但他还想要更多,并试图通过骚扰我的当事人得到
Yes, the plaintiff is a man of moderate means.
是的,原告是一个温和的人
Yes, Xydex is a very successful corporation.
是的,爱德克斯是一个非常成功的公♥司♥
But the law, not charity, must dictate our course today.
但是主导法庭的应该是法律,而不是慈善
Yes, yes.
是啊,是啊
He rammed through that wall.
他是冲破了墙
And, yes, he did shut that hellish factory down for one day.
是的,他确实让那地狱般的工厂关闭了一天
And, yes, he is responsible for damages in the amount of $427,000.
是的,他应为总共四十二万七千美元的损失负责
How high a price is that to pay if he saved just one single life?
但要是他救了哪怕一条命,价值几何?
Madam, I will give you $427,000 for your child. Deal?
女士,我用四十二万七千美元买♥♥你孩子的命,成交?
And you, madam. Same price for your husband.
你呢,女士,你丈夫的命一样的价
And you, counselor. How about half a million bucks for your precious hide?
还有你,律师,五十万美元买♥♥你昂贵的皮怎么样?
- Objection!
反对!
- Order!
安静!
- The counsel is out of line.
对方律师太过分了
- Sustained.
反对有效
Mr Ward, sit down.
沃德先生,坐下
Order, order!
安静,安静!
Defense is prepared to mount its case.
被告方已准备应诉
We have witnesses,
我们有证人、协议
depositions and evidence to prove my client acted fairly.
书面证言以及物证,足以证明我的当事人行事恰当
But to what end? The plaintiff has put no viable case before this court.
可是何必呢?原告在法庭面前根本没有足以成立的案件
and in the interest of justice the defense moves on for nonsuit. Submitted, Your Honor.
为司法利益考虑,被告方请求驳回起诉
动议已提交,法官阁下
Would you go next door and remind them that justice is blind, and not deaf?
请你隔壁提醒他们,正义是盲目的,而不是聋哑的,好吗?
As to your motion, counsel...
关于你的动议,律师……
12 minutes. 12 minutes!
十二分钟,十二分钟!
Eight and a half days it took those idiots to mount their case!
这帮傻瓜花了八个半天准备诉讼
- Too bad you mispronounced "harassing. "
说他们“骚扰”你也太坏了
- It's too bad you didn't get a chance to.
坏的是你想说没机会吧
Counselor, where will you be spending your vacation?
律师,我需要你决定去哪度假
- I have no vacation.
什么?我没有假期
- Maggie! You must have three or four weeks.
麦琪,好啦,你应该去度假三四周的
No. I hear something big's happening on Argo Motors.
不,我听说有阿尔戈汽车公♥司♥的大案子
- Do you know anything about it?
你们知道什么吗?
- No.
不知道
Have you?
你呢?
I haven't heard.
我没听说
You guys wanna be big-time lawyers, learn to lie better.
你们这些家伙想当大律师吗,就得好好学撒谎
Maggie! Lawyers never lie.
麦琪,律师从不说谎
We just tell the truth judiciously to guarantee utter confusion.
我们只是明智地说出真♥相♥,表达内心的疑惑
Damn, you could lose your hand in one of this things.
天哪,这会把手夹断的
Mr Ward, excuse me. Howard Crayhill.
沃德先生,打扰了,我是霍华德·克雷希尔
I've read all your books. I've read Civil Rights on Trial twice.
我读过您所有的书,《审判民权》读过两遍
Congratulations. You found a copy they hadn't burned.
祝贺你,你发现了没被他们烧掉的一本
Grateful client?
当事人的谢礼?
No, it's a present for your mother. Anniversary.
不,这是给你母亲的礼物,结婚纪念日
Hard to believe we've been together 34 years.
很难相信我们已经结婚三十四年了
35.
是三十五年
You're biting your fingernails again, Margaret.
你又咬指甲了,麦琪
Don't.
少说话
Minor flesh wound. He didn't even draw blood.
轻微肉体伤害,他都不带出血的
Brian, my father always draws blood.
布莱恩,我父亲常常让人流血
I was getting ready to make a left. I had the blinker on.
当时我准备左转,打开转向灯
I saw the other car coming towards me, in the rearview mirror.
在后视镜中,我看见一辆车向我开过来
And I couldn't move. I couldn't get out of the way.
但我却动不了,无法离开那条道
I just watched him, in slow motion.
我只能看着他,像慢镜头一样
At first, I couldn't believe it was happening.
开始,我不能相信自己的眼睛
It was like watching TV or something.
好像在看电视中的事情
And then the guy hit me.
然后那家伙的车撞上我
The car just... It just exploded.
那车就砰地一声……爆♥炸♥了
There was fire everywhere.
到处都是火焰
My wife started screaming,
我的妻子尖叫起来
and my baby boy...
我的小儿子……
- Son of a bitch.
婊♥子♥养♥的♥
- I'm sorry.
对不起
You have nothing to apologize for.
你不需要道歉
What happened to you...
发生在你身上的……
I'm so goddamned tired of this.
我太他妈的讨厌这些了
Those bastards think they can do anything they want.
这些混♥蛋♥觉得他们可以为所欲为
Lie, kill, destroy whatever they touch and get away with it.
撒谎,杀人,毁灭任何东西却轻易逃脱
Let me tell you something, Steven. They don't always get away with it.
我告诉你,史蒂文,他们不能总是逃脱掉
Once in a while, people like us, this law firm, we stop them.
有的时候,像我这样的人,这个律师事务所,我们会阻止他们
This is going to be one of those times.
这种时候即将到来
Mr Ward, I'm very grateful.
沃德先生,我感激不尽
I just wish that I had been with your firm from the beginning.
要是一开始就找到你们事务所就好了
We're here now.
我们不是在这吗
Good afternoon. Quinn Califan and Lunt
下午好,奎恩、卡里凡&朗特律师事务所
I'm sorry, he's away from his desk right now. May I take a message?
对不起,他现在不在,我能捎个口信吗?
Hold on one second.
等一下
Maggie!
麦琪
- Maggie, Mr Grazier wants to see you.
麦琪,格雷泽先生要见你
- Now?
现在吗?
OK, tell me what you know about Argo Motors.
好,告诉我你们阿尔戈汽车公♥司♥知道多少
They're our biggest client. 21% of last year's billing.
我们最大的客户,占去年账单的21%
26. They're headed up by Eugene Forrest. He came aboard two years ago...
是26%。他们的老总是尤金·福利斯特,
他两年前从国外回来……
In a hostile takeover. Thinks the future of automobiles is in computerization.
敌意接管了该公♥司♥,
他认为汽车业的发展方向应该是计算机化
Rumor is now that he's looking to merge with a Silicon Valley type.
传言说他正寻求与硅谷型的大公♥司♥合并
Wrong. He found it. LorCoTron Electronics.
错。他已经找到并购者了,洛克创电子公♥司♥
Jeez. Big time.
天哪,这可是重要关头
But there's a catch. And this is where we come in.
但是有个难题,这就是我们要介入的地方
Three years ago, a class action suit was filed against Argo,
三年前,有一起针对阿尔戈的集体诉讼
claiming that their 1985 station wagon, the Meridian, blew up on impact.
诉称他们1985年产的一款旅行车
子午线——在撞击下发生爆♥炸♥
- So? Lawsuits are a dime a dozen.
那又怎样,被起诉不是家常便饭?
- Did they have a case?
他们有胜算把握吗?
No. I've handled Argo since that car was still on the drawing boards. It's totally clean.
没有,我从那款车的设计阶段查起,完全清白
We persuaded the other side's attorneys that they couldn't win.
我们说服了对方律师相信他们打不赢
But now another firm has re-filed. A much more aggressive firm.
但是现在另一起律所重新起诉,一家好斗的律所
The new American way. Find the guy who built it, then rob him blind.
好极了,新美国方式,找到白手起家者,再骗光他的钱
- So what do we do, guys?
我们该怎么办,伙计们?
- Settle, for chump change.
和解,少花点钱
- Confidentiality clause, don't tell the papers.
再订立秘密条款,不得记录
- No, we have to win in public.
不行,我们必须在法庭上、在公众面前胜诉
LorCoTron is a very conscientious company, very consumer-oriented.
洛克创是一家很谨慎的公♥司♥,很为消费者着想
This LorCoTron thing is time-critical. You can't...
但像洛克创这样的公♥司♥更看重时间,你不能……
电影精选列表