从南非的大草原,
From the plains of South Africa
到新斯科细亚的海岸,
to the shores of Nova Scotia.
在远古生物的骨骸之中,
In the bones of ancient creatures.
-这块石头中有块头盖骨
You have a skull right in this block.
在你的DNA之中,有一个不可思议的故事,
And deep inside your DNA lies an incredible story.
关于你身体的故事,和它们为何是现在的模样
The story of your body and why you're built the way you are.
你的皮肤…和毛发,
Your skin and hair.
你复杂的牙齿…和了不起的听觉,
Your complex teeth and remarkable sense of hearing
都可追溯到…曾经称霸地球的远古爬行类,
can all be traced back to ancient reptiles that once ruld the Earth,
它们的身体…形成于生命历史中那伟大的过渡时期,
Their bodies were shaped by great transitions in the history of life,
而这个遗产,今日仍旧塑造着我们的身体,
And that legacy still shapes our bodies today.
我的名字是…尼尔.舒本
My name is Neil Shubin.
身为解剖学家,我看待人类身体的方式和多数人不同
As an anatomist, I look at human bodies differently from most people.
在我们身上,我看到过去动物的魅影
Within us,I see the ghosts of animals past.
遥远的祖先…以惊人的方式打造了我们的结构
Distant ancestors who shaped our anatomy in surprising ways.
准备好…让时光倒流至远古世界,
Prepare yourself for a trip back to an ancient world.
如果你真的想知道,为什么你是现在这个模样,
If you really want to know why you look the way you do,
是时候见见你体内的爬行类了
it's time to meet Your Inner Reptile.
就是在这个小镇,新斯科细亚的帕斯布罗
It was here in the small town of Parrsboro in Nova Scotia,
25年前,我第一次发现了我体内的爬行类,
over 25 years ago, thatI first discovered my inner reptile.
我的天!
Oh, my gosh!
这是我的第二个家,当我在念研究所的时候,
This was my second home when I was in graduate school.
这条小街道,我不知道有多少次…
This is the little Main Street,I can't tell you how many times
在这里来来回♥回♥
I ripped back and forth.
我对这条街有许多私人的情感
A lot of my personal history is on this street.
那个时候我是年轻、充满热情的…
Back then I was a young, eager,
哈佛大学毕业生,正准备带领我的第一次化石考察
Harvard graduate student off to lead my very first fossil expedition
那就是海湾,美不美?
Yeah, there's the bay,isn't it beautiful?
我们来的正是时候
We're catching it at a really nice tide.
芬迪湾之所以是寻找化石的绝佳地点,
What makes the Bay of Fundy a special place to hunt
是因为它巨大的潮汐
for fossils is its huge tides.
它们是全世界最大的
They're the largest in the world.
短短六小时内,一千亿吨♥的水排到半哩外的大海
In just six hours,100 billion tonnes of water drains half a mile out to sea
这巨大的潮汐,持续不断的侵蚀崖壁…
These massive tides constantly erode the cliff face,
使它成为一个让新化石现身的绝佳地点
making it a wonderful place for exposing new fossils.
我们来到新斯科细亚,来考察这些橘岩
You know,we came to Nove Scotia to look at these orange rocks.
而这些橘岩相当的完美,
And these orange rocks are kind of perfect.
你有远古河床,你有远古溪流,
You have ancient lake beds.You have ancient streams.
你甚至还有远古沙漠在边缘,
You have even the margin of an ancient desert,
全都在这个小地方,
all in one small place.
所以这个区域我们找的相当仔细,
And so this area we hit really hard.
我们仔细观察这些岩石…
We had our eyes to the rocks.
我们有采集袋,我们有岩锤
We had our collecting bags and our rock hammers
我们准备好把袋子装满骨头,
and we were ready to fill them with bones.
问题是我们没有把袋子装满骨头,
The challenge is we didn't fill them with bones.
我们基本上什么也没找到
We didn't find much of anything.
而将好运带给我们的…是小镇上的一个活动
And really our luck was to change because of events in town.
转捩点是发生在…当地的狮子会主席,
So, the breakthrough came when the president of the local
邀请我们去当小镇选美比赛的评审,
Lions Club invited us to be judges for the town's beauty contest.
于是,我们接下了这个重大的任务
So, it was up to us to perform this onerous task.
但问题是,担任比赛的评审…还有参加结束后的庆祝活动,
The problem was in judging the contest and in the celebration afterwards,
我们留到了太晚才离开
we stayed up way too late in the evening.
而那深夜的狂欢,为我们带来了后果
And that late night revelry had consequences the next day.
所以隔天早上…我们都很晚起床,
So, the next morning we got up too late.
碰上了涨潮
It was high tide.
潮涨的非常的高,结果呢…
And the tides are just so huge here,what happens is,
潮水一直涨到石头这边来,
the tide will lap up against the rocks,
我们发现的时候…已经被困住了,
And what we found is we were stuck.
我们被这由岩浆形成的黑色火山石给包围着
We were surrounded by dark, volcanic rocks formed from hot lava flows.
没有任何正常人会想到这里可以找到化石,
Nobody in their right mind would look for fossils here.
那天的天气很好,于是我们…跳过了岩石
It was a beautiful day so we, you know, we skipped rocks.
岩石不是这个世界上最适合拿来跳的东西,
Rocks weren't the best in the world for skipping.
我的好朋友比尔消失了,然后我听到他的声音,
My buddy Bill had disappeared. Then I heard his voice.
他喊着,"尼尔,你可能会想过来这里"
He's like, "Neil, you may want to come over here
"然后看看这个"
"and take a look at this."
我一辈子都忘不了他说的这句话
I'll never forget those words as long as I live.
我的老天,就是这里
Holy cow, this is the spot.
那时更突出一点,1985年的时候
I mean, it jutted out more.That was 1985.
事情是这样的,比尔…那个时候在这里,
Well,what happened was,Bill was,at this point
而他发现到,在这些巨大的玄武岩石块中,
and what he had discovered was that inside these basalt boulders
嵌入了这些棕色的沙岩,
lie seams of this brown sandstone.
而在这些棕色沙岩里面…是骨头
And within this brown sandstone were bones.
当我们敲开石头后,我们找到了数不尽的化石,
As we chipped away at the rock,we uncovered countless fossils.
那里有腿骨、牙齿,甚至是完整的下颚
There were leg bones, teeth,even whole jaws.
这个地点埋藏着数千块骨头…
This site yielded thousands of pieces of bone
来自我们历史上的重大时期
from a momentous period in our history.
我们找到了很多东西,但真正的宝贝…在这里
We found loads of things.But the real gem is in here.
你现在看到的是上颚,那是犬齿
What you're seeing here is an upper jaw. There's a canine tooth,
后面跟着一排较小的牙齿
a series of other smaller tooth behind it.
这些两亿年前的牙齿,属于一种生物名叫…
These 200 million year old teeth,belonged to a creature called
"三棱齿兽"
a Tritheledont
这也许看来像是只无关紧要的小动物,
It may look like an insignificant little animal
但它和所有今日的动物都不同
but it's unlike anything alive today.
在这里的是,一只非常独特的动物,
Now, what we have here is really a unique kind of animal
具有独特的混合特征
with a unique mix of features.
半爬行类,半哺乳类
Part reptile, part mammal.
我们在它的头盖骨上看到,它的上颚、它的腿骨
We see it in its skull,in its jaws, in its limb bones,
基本上在它全部的身体结构中,
virtually every feature of its anatomy.
这是一个…位于过渡期之中的生物,
This is a creature right on the cusp of the transition
从爬行类…到哺乳类
from reptile to mammal.
人类身体演化史上的关键时刻,
A key moment in the evolution of the human body.
一路回到很久很久以前,你会找到你远古的亲戚
Trace your ancestry way back in time and you'll find an ancient relative.
一种类似鱼的生物,从水中爬上陆地,
A fish-like creature that crawled from the water on to land
大约在三亿七千五百万年前
about 375 million years ago.
这样的生物,让两栖动物得以崛起
Animals like this gave rise to amphibians -
然后是我们故事中更重要的一环…爬行类
and more important to our story -reptiles.
随时间过去,爬行类中的一个分枝,让早期哺乳类堀起
Over time, one line of reptiles gave rise to early mammals.
然后最终是我们
And eventually to us.
但是在你觉得,这是一条平顺的道路之前,
But, before you get the idea this was one smooth ride,
你的爬行类祖先,面对的是崎岖的道路
your reptilian ancestors faced a rocky road.
它们将征服充满敌意的陆地
They would colonise a hostile land...
为了食物和领土不断竞争,
..compete for food and territory...
甚至还要面对…从未见过的残酷灭绝事件
..and even deal with the worst mass extinction the world had ever seen.
我们今日生活的世界,似乎离那非常遥远
Our lives today seem worlds away from this story.
但是这些篇章,形塑了我们的爬行祖先,
But every chapter shaped our reptilian ancestors
改变了它们的身体
changing their bodies.
直到今日,仍可在我们的身体上见到那些特征
And we can still see those features in our bodies today.
其中一项最惊人的…
One of the most surprising is visible
可以在受精的几个星期后见到
in the first few weeks after conception.
我们来到试管受孕诊所,来看我们体内的爬行类,
We've come to an IVF clinic to see our inner reptile.
而莎宾娜和戴夫很亲切的允许我们…
And Sapna and Dev have graciously allowed us to see
观看他们八个星期大的胎儿…和在他身上发生的事
their eight-week-old foetus and what's going on inside.
好的,让我把图片缩小一点
Er, let's shrink the image a little bit.
哇,看看这个,是两个,我们有了双胞胎
Oh, well, look it here.There's two. We have twins.
我有没有说过我们的生命要改变了?
Did I tell you our life's about to change?
在怀孕的头几周
In the first few weeks of pregnancy,
胚胎可说是打开了一扇时光的窗口,
it's almost as if the embryo is a window back in time
让我们一窥进化的历史
that reveals our evolutionary history
这里是头,这里是心脏,然后这是尾巴
This is the head, this is the heart and this is the tail
然后这是卵黄囊
and here's the yolk sac
看看,哇,就是这个
Let's see,oh,wow,there you go.
你不会觉得人类有蛋黄,对吧?
You don't think about yolk in a human, right?
-你会觉得那是鸡蛋里的东西
-鸡蛋
You think of yolk for chicken eggs.Chicken eggs.
这是特大号♥的蛋…还是双黄蛋?
Is that extra-large or jumbo?LAUGHTER
这是有机蛋,自♥由♥放牧的
It's organic,free range.
自♥由♥放牧,没错!
Free range,exactly!
当提到蛋黄,你不会联想到人类
When you think of yolk,you don't think of humans,
但是在发育初期…我们拥有这个小卵黄囊
but we have a little yolk sac in early development
随着胚胎发育,它变得愈来愈小,