从衣索匹亚的不毛之地…
'From the badlands of Ethiopia...'
这真是大开眼界,看看这些绵延不断的岩石
This is jaw-dropping, the way the rock is laid out in front of you.
…到世界的最高峰
'..to the top of the world.'
你要撑高一点,尼尔
You got to go higher, Neil.
在远古生物的骸骨之中
'In the bones of ancient creatures...'
太吓人了!看看这些牙齿
Ferocious! Look at those teeth!
在你的DNA之中... 藏着惊人的故事
'..and written in your DNA lies an incredible story -
关于你身体的故事…
'..the story of your body
还有为什么它是现在的模样
'and why it looks the way it does.'
我的名字是尼尔.舒本
'My name's Neil Shubin.'
真是太酷了
That is so cool.
身为科学家,我生涯中大部份的时间…
'As a scientist,I've spent much of my career
都致力于寻找人类身体的起源
'unravelling the origins of the human body.'
她好美
She's beautiful.
这把我带到了意想不到的地方
'It's taken me to unexpected places
并让我找到可能让你大吃一惊的关连
'and led me to connections that might surprise you.'
-这让你瞧见我们的大脑是从哪里来的
-实在太惊人了!
It gives us a glimpse into where our brains came from. It's mind-blowing.
现在,准备好让时光倒流…
Now, prepare to travel back in time
延着我们的族谱分枝回到从前
through the distant branches of our family tree.
我们会遇到奇形怪状的生物…
We'll meet a strange cast of characters -
打造出你身体的祖先们
the ancestors that shaped your body,
一个你从不知道…自己拥有的大家族
the family you never knew you had.
这场冒险从搜寻一些最难以捉摸的亲戚开始…
'We begin with a search for some of our most elusive relatives -
在数亿年前... 爬上陆地的鱼类…
'fish that crawled onto land hundreds of millions of years ago.'
他眼睛瞪的老大,然后说…"我找到了,我找到了"
His eyes are like globes and he's like, "I found it, I found it."
从我们的脖子到肺部,从我们的双脚到双手
'From our necks and lungs to our limbs and hands,
我们要感谢这些无畏无惧的拓荒者…
'we owe a lot to these intrepid pioneers.'
这段旅程中,你可能会以不同的方式看待你的身体
'On this journey, you may come to see your body differently.'
像我一样,你会看到过去动物的魅影…
'Like me, you'll see the ghosts of animals past -
看见史诗一般的故事…
'..glimpses of an epic story
写在我们每个人的体内
'that's written within us all.'
如果你真的想知道为什么你是现在的模样,
So if you really want to see why you're built the way you are,
是时候见见你体内的鱼了!
it's time to meet your inner fish.
哇,看看这个,简直是天堂,太美了
Wow, look at that. Paradise.That is perfect.
他要直接飞进山谷中
He's going right up the valley.
加拿大北极群岛,是这个星球上最荒芜的地方之一
The Canadian Arctic is one of the most desolate regions of the planet,
但是这个夏天除了这里…我哪也不想去
'but there's nowhere else I'd rather spend the summer.'
吸引我来到这里的…是宝藏
'What draws me here is treasure,
我心中的宝藏
'my kind of treasure -
埋藏在远古岩层中的化石
'fossils hidden inside ancient rocks.'
更具体一点,是死亡许久鱼类的化石
'In particular,the fossils of long-dead fish.'
但不是随便一种古老的鱼
'But not just any old fish.'
我在找一种鱼,
'I'm hunting for fish
它们体内诉说了我们身体的故事
'that carry the story of our own bodies inside of them.'
我在这里的收获,找到的东西,
'How I got here and what I found
可以改变你对自己…和你身体的看法
'could change the way you think about yourself and your body.'
我用我这一生中最重要的发现…
'This is a story that ends on top of the world
让这个故事在世界最高峰结束
'with the most important discovery of my life.'
但是它是开始于芝加哥市…
'But it begins in the city of Chicago
一间挤满了人类尸体的房♥间
'with a room full of human cadavers.'
差不多是十年前,
It was more than a decade ago,
我刚来到了芝加哥大学,担任解剖学的指导教授
and I'd just moved to the University of Chicago, as chairman of the anatomy department.
我还记得,像是,
'And I remember, you know,
和学生们一起在桌子旁聊天,就是这里
'hanging around with the students around the tables, here,
想要了解他们,也让他们了解我
'just getting to know them and letting them get to know me.
他们未来的生涯规划都是成为专科医师
'They're launching their careers as future physicians
在头几天,气氛有一点紧张和不安
'and there's some nerves and skittishness those first few days.
而他们不可避免的一定会问…
'And they almost invariably ask,'
舒本博士,你是哪一种医生?
"Dr Shubin, what kind of doctor are you?
你是外科医师?还是心脏医师?
"Are you a surgeon, a cardiologist?"
我说,"都不是,我是古鱼学家!"
I say, "Well, no, I'm a fish palaeontologist!"
然后他们看起来就像…"呃,把我的学费还给我!"
And they just look like,"Right, I want my money back!"
但是很快的事情就明白了,做为古生物学家,
'But it soon became clear that being a palaeontologist
而且不是其他的古生物学家,是古鱼生物学家,
'and not just any palaeontologist,a fish palaeontologist,'
是非常强而有效的方式…去教导…人类解剖学
is a very powerful way to teach human anatomy.
因为在我们身体中一些最棒的线路图,
Because often some of the best road maps to our own bodies
时常可在其他生物中看见
are seen in other creatures.
你也许不会觉得…你的身体和鱼有太多共同之处
Now, you might not think your body has much in common with a fish,
但是我看到了家族特性
but I see a family resemblance.
从表面上看,你不太像鱼,我承认…
On the surface, you are not very fish-like, I'll admit.
但你们之间是有连结的
But you are related to them.
而这些连结的线索,就刻在远古的石头上
And the clues to that connection are etched in ancient stone.
从世界各地挖堀出的化石,
Fossils unearthed around the world
揭露了鱼…是第一个有骨骼结构的生物,
reveal that fish are the first creatures with bony skeletons.
它们有脊椎骨和头盖骨,就如同你我一般
They have backbones and skulls,just like you and me.
这个共享的构造,将我们和鱼连结起来…
This shared anatomy connects us to fish
还有一长串其他不同的动物
and to a long line of other animals.
要了解我的意思…请想像一段完整的生命历史
To see what I mean,imagine the complete history of life
在一颗巨大的家族树上,
on a giant family tree,
从数十亿年前的第一个微观有机体
from the first microscopic organisms billions of years ago
到今日所有现存的动物
to all animals alive today.
生命之树
我们的历史,就在这生命之树的一个分枝上,
Our history lies on one branch of this tree of life
让我们可以追本溯源
and we can trace our ancestry back.
大约四亿年前,
Around 400 million years ago,
鱼在海洋和溪流中游动,
you'll find fish swimming in oceans and streams.
过了四千万年,陆地上出现了首批两栖类动物,
40 million years later, the first amphibians appear on land.
接下来是爬虫类,
Then we see reptiles,
接下来是两亿年前出现的首批哺乳类,
followed by the first mammals around 200 million years ago.
又过了很久以后,我们出现在一个特别的分枝上…灵长类
And much later, we arrive at our special branch - primates.
这段历史…告诉了我们一件了不起的事,
This history tells us something remarkable.
今日所有的爬虫类、鸟类和哺乳类…
Every reptile,bird and mammal alive today
全都是远古鱼类的后代
is descended from ancient fish.
那也包含了我们
And that includes us.
这个祖传遗产…如何体现在我们的解剖学上?
So how does this legacy play out in our anatomy?
在这间实验室里的每一个人,
Each one of us walking around in this lab today
体内都继承了生命的历史
carries the history of life within us
而证据可以在我们身上所有的地方找到,
and the evidence is seen in every part of our bodies.
不只是在我们的骨头之中,
And not just in our bones.
就连在人类头部中的复杂神经结构,
Even the complex tangle of nerves inside the human head
当你了解,这是由鱼创立的同样基本线路,一切就豁然开朗,
makes much more sense when you realise it's the same basic wiring found in fish.
但是人类身体上有一个构造,
'But there's one defining piece of human anatomy
看起来离鱼的世界相当遥远,
'that seems remote from the world of fish.'
而我还清楚的记得,当它第一次捕获了我的想像力…
And I vividly remember when it first captured my imagination.
当我第一次走进解剖室的时候,
When I walked into the anatomy lab for the first time,
我对即将要看到、感受到的有点恐惧,
I was scared about what I was going to see,
但事实上,经过了几个星期之后,
but after the first few weeks,
那个恐惧变成了一种…自我感觉良好的自信
that fear turns into a sort of a cocky self-confidence.
这个东西,当你解剖他们,不太像是个人类,
And these things, when you dissect them, don't look very human,
怎么看都像是个蜡像…然后你看到了手,
it looks like a wax model in a lot of ways, but then you hit the hand.
对我来说,当我解开纱布时,
And for me, as I unwrapped the gauze
然后手掌、手指、指甲露了出来,
and revealed the palm,the fingers, the fingernails,
顿时我产生了一种强烈的感觉,
something else hit me entirely
那是一种很深刻的感官体验,
and that was a deep sense of connection,
我对这个躺在手术台上的人类身体,产生了连结,
a connection to another human body lying on that slab.
我在解剖的并不是一个蜡像,
This was not a wax model that I was dissecting,
这曾是一个有生命的人,就像现在的我一样
this formerly was a person who lived a life just like I am living now.
当我看到手的内部构造,
When I see the anatomy within the human hand,
我对骨头、肌腱和肌肉之间复杂的连结感到敬畏
I'm in awe of the intricate connections between bone, tendon and muscle.
透过这些肌肉和肌腱之间的活动,
Really, it's through the action of these muscles through the tendon
手就像是施展出了魔法一般,可以这么说,
that the hand does its magic,if you will.
所以当肌内动作时,
So that when the muscles fire,
它牵动了这根肌腱,看好…
it pulls on these tendons, and -watch.
手指便弯曲了,
The fingers flex.
我们手上的细致肌肉,
Now, the fine muscles of our hand,
这些在肌腱旁边的细致肌肉,
these little tiny muscles that lie along the tendons,
这些肌肉控制了我们手指的细致动作,
these are the muscles that contain the fine motion of our fingers.
这就是灵长类和人类的精髓
These are the ones that are quintessentially primate and human.
所以这惊异的演化是来自哪里?
So where did this marvel of evolution come from?