-鱼准备好了,很新鲜
We're here for the fish!The fish is available, it's fresh.
进来吧,在后面
Come right through, towards the back.
塞斯,这是你的家庭相簿吗?
Is this your family album?
是的,没错!
Yes, exactly!
所以你是条鱼,首先…如果你是…
So, you're a fish. Now, first off,if you are,
而且比我还更鱼的话,我会很忌妒
and you're more of a fish than I am,I'm very jealous.
-证明一下
-好的
So, prove it. All right.
这就是了,这是我的鳃
Here it is, there's my gill.
在那里
Right there.
在发育过程中的一个事实就是,我们都拥有鳃弓
So what happens during development is we all have gill arches,
我们都发展了它
we all develop them.
这个小凹陷是来自于远古鳃的残留
This little pit is a leftover from an ancient gill.
而我非常的忌妒你,莫莉
And I am incredibly jealous of you,Molly,
因为你确实比我还更鱼
because you are more of a fish than I am.
-我们都是鱼,但是有些人就是比较鱼
-没有错
We're all fish but some are more fish than others. That's right.
-有些人就是没有进化完全
-不,你是幸运的
Some just haven't evolved very far.No, you're the lucky one.
很酷的地方是,当你了解古生物学和发育生物学
So what's really cool is, when you know palaeontology and developmental biology,
许多我现在用来和你说话的肌肉、神经和骨头
many of the muscles and nerves and bones I'm using to talk with you right now,
第一弓
第二弓
第三弓
和你现在用来听我说话的许多肌肉、神经和骨头,
and many of the muscles and nerves and bones you're using to hear me right now,
都是来自鱼的鳃状构造
are found in gill structures in fish.
我们在化石中看到,在胚胎中…
We see that in fossils, in embryos,
我们在DNA中看到,我们在你身上看到!
we see that in DNA -and we see that in you!
我小叔子的脚还有蹼呢
My brother-in-law has webbed feet.
这……我爱你们这家人,这样说吧!
All right. I love your family,by the way!
当像鱼鳃这样的特征,被重新装配到我们的身体之中,
While features like fish gills have been retooled in our anatomy...
…其他的身体部份也发生了同样的事,但是到了不同的地方
..other body parts perform the same job but end up in different places.
像是睾丸
Like testicles.
-我们来这里看一些生殖腺…
-没问题
We're here to see some gonads. OK.
-鱼的生殖腺!
-喔!
Fish gonads.
所以…让我们解剖这位小家伙
So, dissect this little guy here.
如果你可以把那些拿出来…那会…
If you could pop that bad boy, that would be...
这就把它们拿出来
..come right out of there.
你看,那里是心脏
So there you see, there's the heart.
那是肺,生殖腺就在这里
There's liver.The gonad is right there.
你知道有趣的地方是…生殖腺…
So, you know what's funky about these things is the gonads
是在胸腔之中,非常靠近心脏
is towards the chest, very near the heart.
惊人的是,你和我,和所有其他哺乳类,
我们的生殖腺是从这里开始,然后下降到现在的位置
You and I, like every other mammal,our gonads started up here and descended down to here
也许在原来的地方比较好!
Maybe better where they were!
某方面来说也许是
Well, in some senses they were.
拥有靠近心脏的生殖腺,对我们冷血的鱼类亲戚是很有利的
Having gonads close to the heart is fine for our cold-blooded fishy
relatives
对温血哺乳类就不是那么适合
not so good for warm-blooded mammals.
精♥子♥受不了高温
Sperm can't stand the heat
所以我们的睾丸必须搬到凉快一点的地方…
so that's why our testicles have to drop to a cooler place,
到身体之外
outside the body.
当人类胚胎开始发育时,生殖腺从原本在身体之中
When a human embryo develops,the gonads start deep in the body,
就像它们在鱼的体内一样
just like they do in fish,
然后慢慢下降穿过体壁
and then descend through the body wall,
这就是进化过程
mirroring evolution.
但这为男性制♥造♥出了一个弱点,
But that creates a weak spot in males
那里…会让我们的肠子可以通过
where our guts can pop through.
这成为了我们的弱点,容易发生疝气
These leaves us vulnerable to certain kinds of hernias.
当你思考为什么人类会得到疝气
When you think about why humans have hernias,
是因为我们的睾丸下降
it's because our testes descend.
它们本来在这里,然后下降到阴囊中,
They start up here, they go down,into the scrotum
然后体壁变的较脆弱…因为这个重新配置
and the body wall is weaker because of that reconfiguration.
-因为睾丸的下降
-对,于是我们知道…
The dropping of the testicles. Yeah,and so we'll find
在你的体壁上有一处薄弱环节,
那就是为什么人类会得疝气…
that you have a weakness in the body wall in some cases and that's why folks get hernias
-这就是为什么鱼不会得疝气?
-所以鱼不会得疝气!
That's why fish don't get hernias?That's why!
人体中的缺陷…像是我们会得到疝气的结构
'Flaws in the human body, like our susceptibility to hernias,
提醒了我们…我们都是从远古祖先改造而来
'remind us that we're all adapted from ancient ancestors.
我们每一个人,都只是七零八凑的鱼
'We are, every one of us, just a jerry-rigged fish.'
在2000年7月,我们回到北极展开第二季的工作
'In July 2000, we were back in the Arctic for a second season,
继续寻找那难以捉摸的化石
'continuing the search for our elusive fossil.'
我们在这一层有找到一些碎骨头,所以要注意这里
We've found float bone on this level, so let's just stay close.
我们扩大了我们的勘查区域,但是几乎什么也找不到
'We widened our explorations across the region, but we found little,
更别提我们梦想中的过渡化石了
'let alone the transitional fossil of our dreams.
然后,正当我们准备要离开的时候,
'Then, just before we began to pull out,
我们突然面对了在荒野之中工作,
'we were confronted with the real dangers
会遭遇到的真正危险
'of working in this wilderness.'
团队分开为几个不同的小组
The team had separated into several different groups -
我们通常都两人一组,因为这是个危险的地方
we usually go out in pairs because it's a dangerous place -
一组人去山谷下,另外一组往上,我们一整天都分散开来
one pair went down the valley,another went up, we spread apart.
呼叫,呼叫,这里是鸟海湾,这里是鸟海湾,请回答
2-6, 2-6, this is Bird Fjord.This is Bird Fjord, over.
我们一天结束后都会回到营地,
而每个人都需要用无线电和营地回报
'We returned at the end of the day -everybody returns by radio call.
七点钟是他们要向营地安全回报的时间
'It's seven o'clock when we make our safety check back to the station.'
我们做晚餐的同时也在等待无线电回报
So we're making dinner and we're waiting for the radio call
然后我们看了看四周,并说,"嘿,你们有看到杰森吗?"
and looking around, it's like,"Hey, you guys seen Jason?"
"没有,我没看到,你有吗?""那是我刚问你的"
"No, I ain't. Have you?""I asked you that question."
突然之间没有人看到过杰森,杰森哪去了?
And all of a sudden it became nobody saw Jason. Where's Jason?
这是我们最年轻的一位队员
'This is our youngest member,
我们一直都很照顾他,但现在杰森不见了
'we were looking out for him the entire season - and no Jason.'
我的心跳加速…然后我听见帐篷外传来脚步声
My heart was beginning to race. Then I hear footsteps outside the tent.
咻咻咻!帐篷被拉开,然后杰森在那里
The tent fly opens and there's Jason.
他的眼睛瞪的老大,然后说,"我找到了,我找到了"
His eyes are like globes and he's like, "I found it. I found it."
我说杰森,"你找到什么?你找到北极熊?"
I was like, "You found a polar bear?"
他的每一个口袋,都装满了骨头
I mean, every pocket was burgeoning with bones.
他把它们放到桌子上,一块接着一块
He's laying them out,one after another.
这里24小时都是白天
It's daylight 24 hours a day.
于是我们跑到杰森的探勘点,整个晚上我们都趴在地上,
So we ran down to Jason's site and began that night, to crawl it,
搜寻那个发现骨头的岩层
looking for the layer that was kicking out the bones.
当我们来到这个峭壁并且观察它
As soon as we came to this bluff here and looked down,
我们了解到为什么杰森如此兴奋
we saw why Jason was so excited
因为在我们的脚下,是鱼的化石
because beneath our feet were fossil fish bones,
碎片般的化石,非常多,数以千计
fragments, many of them,thousands of them.
不是一条鱼,是一座水族馆,各种不同的品种
It wasn't just one fish, it was a whole aquarium, different species.
还有更棒的,因为当我们走到这山丘山来,
It got better because as we walked up the hill
我们跟随着这些遍地的化石碎片,它突然停住了,
and we followed that carpet of fossil fragments, it stopped,
表示它可能都来自于同一个岩层
meaning it likely came from one layer.
如果我们够幸运的话,我们会
找到那个岩层,然后看到里面的东西
If we had any luck at all, we'd find that layer and see what's inside.
-那个不是
-但是那里有一个…
That's not. But there is this...
这花了几个星期,但我们终于找出了那个岩层
'It took weeks, but we eventually located the layer of rock
那个化石碎片涌现的地方,
'from which the fragments were spilling
然后寻找骨头突起的蛛丝马迹
'and then looked for telltale signs of bones protruding
并希望这会带我们找到更完整的样本
'in the hope it might lead us to more complete specimens.'
你可以看到这个微小的白色突起在告诉我们,"停下来!"
You can see this tiniest little white fleck here that told us "Stop"
因为那个小小的白色突起,显示了鳞片结构
because that little white fleck shows the structure of a scale.
然后你仔细的观察,这很明显是鳞片的末端,
And then you look carefully and it's clearly a scale on end.
一但你看到了末端,你会看到另一块骨头在这里,
Once you see that scale on end,you see another piece of bone here,
看到了另一块骨头,我们已经在岩层上,所以立刻停下来,
see another piece of bone here.So we're on the layer itself.
现在我们要做的就是移除这些冰和土石
Now what we're going to do is remove this ice and rubble
让岩层暴露出来成为一个平台
to expose the layer as a platform.
为了接触到埋藏的化石,我们必须移除这些碎石
'To reach the buried fossils,we'd need to mine the rock face,
但是我们的时间不够了
but we were running out of time.
把那些石头弄走,
Let's get that rock out of there.
再一次,我们短暂没有积雪的时间又结束了,
'Once again, our short window of snow-free weather ended.'
你们是想要明天起飞,还是延到四号♥?
'Now, are you guys looking for that flight tomorrow or delaying to the fourth?'
我们再过三天出发
We're about three away.
好的,收到
OK, roger that.
我们必须等到下一个夏天来挖掘我们的远古河床
'We'd have to wait another summer to dig out our ancient riverbed.'
回到家,另外一种非常不同的科学冒险展开了,
Back home, a very different kind of scientific adventure was unfolding.
一场革命正在演化生物学中进行,
A revolution was under way in evolutionary biology -
而这将会揭露极深的基因连结,
one that would reveal a profound genetic connection