剧集 | 镀金时代(2022) | 导航列表
I thought when you stood without waiting for me,
妳身體不舒服
you must be ill.
如果是我誤會,那就太好了
I'm so glad if I was wrong.
如同我先前所說
As I was saying,
你們家族應該在這裡務農很久了
your family must have been farming here for many years.
是我們祖先為威廉三世國王綁鞋帶
We were given the land by King William III
才被賜予那塊地的
for doing up his shoelaces or something.
做得好
Well done.
怎麼回事?
What was that about?
妳為什麼沒等她就起身了?
Why did you stand without waiting for her?
女性離席的時間一向都是由我決定的
I've always decided when the women go through.
那是之前的事了
That was before.
當時沒有公爵夫人
There was no duchess then.
現在有了,妳應該要等她
Now there is one, and you should have waited.
我一向都很支持黑人參政
I have always supported Negro suffrage.
我和弗雷德里克道格拉斯都認為
Frederick Douglass and I believed deeply
第15條修正案刻不容緩
in the urgency behind the 15th Amendment.
但該擁有投票權的不只有男性
But, of course, men are not the only ones with real claims to the vote.
女性也該擁有投票權
Women deserve the right to the ballot, too.
對 說得好
Yes. Well said.
很好 沒錯
Bravo. Yes.
身為女性 我覺得我們應該遵從上帝的旨意
As women, I think we should be about God's work--
好好教育孩子
educating our children.
把投票的事交給下一代
Leave the vote for the next generation.
我就是下一代
I am the next generation,
我覺得我們現在就該極力爭取
and I think we should fight for it now.
沒錯,我們得繼續爭取
Exactly. We have to keep pushing.
但我們會不會太操之過急了?
But aren't we trying to do too much too soon?
我們距離解放還沒多久
It's barely a minute since emancipation.
我們應該努力保護
Let's fight to protect the rights
我們先生的投票權
of our husbands to vote, hmm?
他們會為我們向政♥府♥發聲
They will give us a voice in the government.
我先生已經死了
My husband's dead.
那我還有辦法向政♥府♥發聲嗎?
Do I still have a say in the government?
安於現狀終將一無所獲
Complacency will yield nothing.
我們需要更多像妳這樣的聲音 史考特小姐
We need more voices like yours, Miss Scott.
不可能一步到位
It's not going to happen all at once.
我們最好選擇重點爭取
It's best to pick our battles.
恕我不敢苟同
I respectfully disagree.
我們得要付諸行動 我們的聲音才會被聽見
We must act so that we have a voice.
我也不知道
Ah, I don't know.
在我那個年代
In my day,
女士下午茶的話題應該是食譜分享
a ladies' tea would consist of sharing recipes,
還有聊孩子的事
talking about our children.
抱歉
I'm sorry.
我以為威廉會跟妳說
I thought William would have told you
這是女性參政聚會
that this was a suffrage meeting.
我兒子有時候會省略一些細節
Sometimes my son leaves out the details.
哈潑太太,我們很感激妳撥空前來
Mrs. Harper, we are so grateful for your time.
妳是怎麼兼顧一切的?
I'm curious to know how you manage it all.
妳應該有小孩吧?
You have children, yes?
他們現在長大了
Well, now that they're grown
我也沒先生要照顧
and I don't have a husband to look after,
所以我就有更多時間能寫作 並推動這項議題
there's more time to write and pursue this cause.
原來如此
I see.
我想在晚餐前去把一封信寫完
I want to finish a letter before dinner.
班尼斯特?
Bannister...
請留步
one minute.
據我所知 你其實知道約翰賺了多少錢
It has come to my attention that you knew what John made,
卻選擇不告訴我
but you chose not to tell me.
夫人,我...
Well, ma'am, I--
他是擔心會影響妳消化,媽
He thought it might interfere with your digestion, Mama.
像我就嚴重消化不良
I know it's played havoc with mine.
班尼斯特,我希望你明白
Bannister, I want you to know
我們都支持約翰並祝他順利
we all support John and wish him well,
我們也不想窺探他的秘密
and we do not seek to pry into his secrets.
但是我想
I do.
謝謝你,班尼斯特
Thank you, Bannister.
你打算怎麼處置約翰?
But what do you plan to do about John,
還是妳不介意跟
or are you happy to share your house
穿僕人裝的洛克斐勒同住?
with a Rockefeller in livery?
奧斯卡?
Oscar.
這樣確實有點奇怪,艾達阿姨
It does seem odd, Aunt Ada.
而且這樣對約翰好嗎?
And is it right for John?
哦
Ah...
讓我仔細想想
let me think about it.
她好像不太開心
I don't think she enjoyed herself.
你沒跟她說這場聚會的主題嗎?
Didn't you tell her what this meeting was about?
她要是知道就不會來了
Ah, she wouldn't have come if she knew.
她並不支持女性參政
Well, she does not believe in women's suffrage--
至少不支持女性現在就參政
not now anyway,
因為有色男性的投票權仍受威脅
not when the colored man's vote is under threat on every side.
她說的也有道理
Well, she has a point.
對,她說的也有道理 但那不是我們聚焦的重點
Yes, she has a point, but it's not the main point.
嗯
Hmm.
我們需要讓所有成人
What we need is for every adult--
有色人種、白人、男人、女人 都享有投票權
colored, white, man, woman-to have the vote.
無論妳們的優先順序為何 妳們都相信正義
You all believe in justice wherever your priorities lie.
總之呢,能聽到哈潑小姐和妳的觀點
Anyway, it won't have hurt her
對她也沒有壞處
to hear Miss Harper's views...And yours.
科克蘭太太說要拿包包了
Mrs. Kirkland has asked for her purse.
我想也是
Hmm. I'm sure she has.
我知道你認為史考特小姐 很有意思又很有魄力
I understand that you find Miss Scott
她確實很有魄力
interesting and forceful, certainly forceful.
你覺得她能在忙碌的生活中
Do you see her finding time in her busy life
空出時間支持你的工作 打點你的家、
to support your work, to run your house,
照顧你的小孩嗎?
to rear your children?
我會以爭取改革和平等的妻子為榮
I'd be proud of a wife who fought for reform and equality.
不對
No.
你會以爭取那些事物的女人為榮
You'd be proud of a woman who fought for those things.
但妻子是另一回事
A wife is something different.
我太有野心、太忙碌、太投入
I'm too ambitious, too busy, too committed.
而且我的膚色又不對
Oh, and I'm not the right color.
有所保留的可不只有她
Well, she's not the only one with reservations.
我跟妳爸都很喜歡威廉
Your father and I like William, but when you marry,
但結婚是兩家人的事
you take on the whole family.
妳確定妳做好準備了嗎?
Are you sure you're ready for that?
我必須做好準備
I have to be.
媽
Mama...
我從來沒有像喜歡他這樣
I feel more for him...
喜歡過任何人
Than I've ever felt before.
那就太好了
I'm glad to hear it.
但妳覺得他有堅強到
But is he strong enough, do you think,
願意為了自己的太太跟媽媽鬥爭嗎?
to take on his mother and fight for his wife?
嗯
Mm.
妳得先確定這點
That's what you need to be sure of.
抱歉,夫人,我以為妳們都去睡了
I'm sorry, ma'am, I thought you'd all gone to bed.
哦
Oh.
我是來修燈的,但我可以晚點再處理
I came for the lamps, but I can get them later.
麻煩你留步一下
If you could stay for just a minute
請坐
and please sit.
聽說你已經收到了鐘的費用
I gathered the payment for the clock has been received.
是的,夫人
Yes, ma'am.
我和凡瑞恩夫人都認為
Mrs. Van Rhjin and I believe it's time
你該去闖出自己的一片天了
you made your way in the world.
妳希望我辭職嗎?
Y-you mean hand in my notice?
你的人生已經不一樣了,約翰
Your life is different now, John,
這是好事,這是很棒的事
in a good way, a fine way,
這都是你辛苦努力得來的
through your own hard work.
很值得稱許
It's praiseworthy.
你不用感到難過
剧集 | 镀金时代(2022) | 导航列表