我奶奶之前常说
My grandmother always told me
如果死者没有得到厚葬
that if the dead weren't given a proper burial,
就会变成恶鬼前来复仇
they'd become ghosts looking for revenge.
这些传说让我难以入眠
The stories used to keep me awake at night,
尤其是在饿鬼月期间
especially during the Month of the Hungry Ghost,
此时孤独愤怒的灵魂在大地上肆意游荡
when lonely, angry spirits are free to wander the earth...
找上那些将之遗忘的人
...revisiting those who have forgotten them
抑或是折磨在战争中苟且存活的人
or tormenting those lucky enough to survive the war.
_越南 安江省 如今
有何发现
- What have you got?
_小心 发现炸♥弹♥了
_找到一枚哑弹
准备引爆
Set up for detonation.
死者无处不在 奶奶如是说
"The dead are all around us," she'd tell me.
多数时候 我们既看不见 也摸不着
Most of the time, we can't see or touch them.
但偶尔
But sometimes,
一次意外就足以改变一切
the power of one event can change everything.
感谢您这么快赶来
Thanks for coming so quickly.
看起来像地窖还是坟墓什么的
Look, it seems like a type of crypt or tomb.
您可能更清楚这到底是什么
You may have a better idea of what it is.
_澳大利亚 墨尔本
你知道这算什么吗
Do you have any idea what this is like?
你怎么能这样对我 马克
How could you do this to me, Mark?
我今早醒来 收车的人就闯进来了
I woke up this morning and a repo guy was breaking into it.
他们收走了卡车 马克 因为未付款
They repossessed the truck, Mark, for non-payment.
但我记得很清楚 给过你钱了
And yet I distinctly remember giving you the money.
你把钱还我
I want my money back.
混♥蛋♥
Dick.
- 他们收走了餐车 - 那就开饭店吧
- They repossessed the food truck. - So? Open a restaurant.
你厨艺精湛
You are a very good cook.
做生意我不在行啊
Just a terrible businesswoman.
梅 你看着有点憔悴
May, you look tired.
- 缺觉不就会这样嘛 - 又做噩梦了
- Mmm, lack of sleep will do it. - The dreams again?
在饿鬼月 有很多无处安放的灵魂四处游荡
There are many restless spirits in Hungry Ghost month.
今晚忙完工作 和我一起去寺庙吧
Come to a temple with me when you finish work tonight.
很重要的
It's important.
工作 糟了
Work. Shit.
梅 梅
May. May.
我想你戴上这个 图个吉利
I want you to wear this. For luck.
你就戴上吧
Please.
真漂亮
You look beautiful.
谢谢 奶奶
Thanks, ba ngoai.
多谢你留我住
And thanks again for letting me stay.
爱你哟
Love you. Love you.
并非所有鬼魂都想复仇
Not all ghosts want revenge.
有些只是想被人看到
Some just want us to see them.
听到他们的声音 铭记他们的存在
To hear them, to remember them.
我们越要忘掉过去
The more we push the past away,
他们的执念则会越深
the more insistent they become.
尼尔
Neil.
- 他们来了 - 好
- They're here. - Good.
这样重温过去肯定很兴奋吧
It must be an exciting way to revisit your past.
不是很感兴趣
Not really a big fan.
- 展览吗 - 过去
- Of exhibitions? - The past.
尼尔 这位是来自李斯坦顿的特雷西·谭小姐
Neil, this is Tracy Tran from Lee and Stanton,
展览的主赞助商
the exhibition's major sponsor.
- 幸会 - 您好
- Such a pleasure. - Hello. Hello
这位是艺术委员会的哈里·唐先生 提供了场地
And Harry Trang from the Arts Council, who's giving us the space.
幸会
Nice to meet you.
我们其实见过
We've actually met.
是吗
We have?
在越南
In Vietnam?
唐中尉 希恩
Lieutenant Trang. Hien.
我记性怎么样
How about that?
- 见到你真好 希恩 - 现在改名哈里了
- Good to see you, Hien. - It's Harry now.
哈里
Harry.
这是我们昨天释出的新广♥告♥
This is the new ad that went out yesterday.
那我得认真点了
Better get serious, then.
我靠 丽兹
Jesus. Liz.
抱歉 我是吓到你了吗
Sorry. Did I scare you?
何以见得呢
What makes you think that?
你回来我很高兴啊 打算待多久
I'm glad you're back. How... how long are you staying?
几天吧 我要从新西兰去南极洲
Couple of days. I'm on my way to Antarctica via New Zealand.
- 南极洲 - 对
- Antarctica? - Mm-hm, yep.
给孤独星球出版社做的和平运动
Doing a peace for Lonely Planet.
环保旅游
Environmental tourism.
现在被重点关注
It's a thing now.
你说是就是吧
Yeah, well, if you say so.
正要沏咖啡
Gonna put on a coffee.
我说有股味道比较刺鼻呢
Smells like something a bit stronger in here.
你最近在做什么
What you been up to?
- 这个 - 退休了啊
- This. - Oh. Retirement.
看起来真是清闲
It looks... relaxing.
他们打算做一个怀旧展
They're doing a retrospective of my work.
越战那些年 这是越南人的节日
The Vietnam years. It's a Vietnamese festival.
我之前还以为你不是真心喜欢展览
Yeah, I didn't think you really liked exhibitions.
什么时候开展啊
When's the opening?
- 一周之后 - 这么快
- In a week. - Oh, shit.
如果你能留下来参加就太好了
It'd be great if you... could stay for it.
支持一下我这老头子嘛
Support the old man.
我有任务期限啊 抱歉
I've got a deadline to keep. Sorry.
- 喝杯咖啡呢 - 额
- What about that coffee? - Yeah...
我得去见编辑了
I gotta go see my editor.
就是来告诉你一下 我来了
I just popped by to let you know I was here.
你不住下吗
You're not staying with me?
公♥司♥给订了酒店 我也不想叨扰
Well, the company paid for a hotel, and I wouldn't want intrude.
过后联♥系♥ 咱俩晚饭时见
I'll give you a call. We'll catch up for dinner.
奶奶说 我们都有自己专属的鬼魂
"We all have our own ghosts," my grandmother would say.
但有时候 曾经的创伤
But sometimes, the pain of past trauma
可以从上一代传到下一代
can seep from one generation to the next,
阴魂不散 困扰全家人
haunting an entire family.
奶奶 是这个吗
Ba ngoai, is this the one?
对 谢了宝贝
Yeah. Thank you, dear.
- 这是你的吗 奶奶 - 是你父亲的
- Was this yours, ba ngoai? - Your father's.
我们来的时候 一无所有
When we came, we had nothing.
没钱没衣服
No money, no clothes.
给我们的补给包只有给小女孩穿的衣服
The care packages we were given only has clothes for little girl.
所以头几个月保罗只能穿裙子
So, Paul had to wear a dress for the first few months.
老爸穿裙子
Dad in a dress?
- 那爷爷穿的什么 - 他之后来的
- What did ong noi wear? - He came later.
- 为什么 - 不让他入境
- Why? - He wasn't allowed.
- 小心点 宝贝 - 抱歉
- Oh, careful, dear. - Sorry.
照片上是你吗 奶奶
Is this you, ba ngoai?
真年轻啊
You're so young.
另外一个男人是谁
Who's that other man?
你干什么呢
What are you doing?
- 那些东西是我的 - 抱歉
- Those are mine. - I'm sorry.
_你干什么 她还小啊
你爷爷的话 别往心里去
Don't mind old grumpy.
_你这疯子怎么不去找丹尼尔
霍莉
Holly.
你要是在饿鬼月拿筷子敲碗
If you tap a bowl during Hungry Ghost month,
鬼魂就会以为你是邀请他们一起吃饭
a ghost will think you are inviting them to eat with you.
好啊
Cool.
好什么 鬼魂来了就不走了
No, it's not. Because they don't always leave.
别加太多 亲爱的 保罗不喜欢姜黄粉
Not too much, dear. Paul doesn't like turmeric.
我一直都有放姜黄粉的
Oh, I've always put turmeric in.
抱歉回来晚了
Sorry I'm late.
这味道真不错
Ah. That smells amazing.
妈 你歇会吧
You should be resting your hip, Ma.
莱茵跟我说你不喜欢姜黄粉
Lein tells me you don't like turmeric.
- 啊 - 姜黄粉
- Huh? - Turmeric.
过去的时候 我怎么遮这味 都能被你闻出来
You used to be able to sniff it out no matter how I hid it.