She's just gone upstairs. Elizabeth...
别人看见你
You were seen, apparently,
和托马斯·比奇挽着胳膊
arm in arm with Thomas Beech.
我不想知道为什么
I don't want to know why.
我只想说一个管家被人看见
It's just to say that a housekeeper seen arm in arm
和男仆挽着胳膊 一个比她年轻20岁的男仆
with a footman, a footman 20 years her junior,
一个几个星期后就要离职的男仆
a footman who is leaving us in a few short weeks
虽然他其实并没有工作很长时间 这件事看起来
despite not having been with us for very long, is sadly...
有失尊严
..infra dignitatem.
-还有... -什么...
- And... - W...
我不希望再听到有关这件事的传言了
I don't want to hear any more about it.
好的 小姐 对不起 小姐
Yes, ma'am. Sorry, ma'am.
谢谢 小姐
Thank you, ma'am.
有一封信 小姐
Oh, and a letter came, ma'am.
玛丽安小姐吩咐放在你的桌子上
Miss Marian said to leave it on your desk.
她说她觉得是劳顿太太的字迹
She said she thought it was Mrs Lawton's handwriting.
我有失尊严
Me, infra dignitatem?
最亲爱的弗雷迪
Dearest Freddy,
我无时无刻不在想着你
my thoughts are perpetually full of you.
我一如既往深深爱着你
I love you dearly and fondly,
尽管经历过曲折起伏
and, despite all our ups and downs,
我的心却从未不忠于你
my heart is not unfaithful, and still,
无论往昔如今还是未来 我都会记得你带给我的欢乐
as formerly and for ever, my joys by yours are known.
我希望小史能够照顾好
I hope Steph sends you good accounts
你在约克郡的那位小朋友
of your little friend in York.
那些美好的时光的回忆时常涌上我心头
But the pleasures of memory still visit me
我希望你做事要有耐心
and urge me to bid you take your time in this matter
不要过早过紧地束缚了自己
and not fetter yourself too soon or too tightly.
你曾经提过你要和沃克小姐厮守终生一事
What you say on the subject of making things work
对此我毫不怀疑
with Miss Walker is, I doubt not, true as applied to you
以你的精力和性格
because you have energy of character
绝对可以做出如此随心所欲之事
to do with the mind what you will.
但尽管如此 我也希望你
But, nevertheless, there is no reason why
能像他人一样
you, with others, should not profit
不妨采用"三思而后行"的做事原则
from the maxim "look before you leap".
什么事
Er, yes?
利斯特小姐来了 小姐
Miss Lister's here, ma'am.
你好吗
How are you?
谢谢 露西
Thank you, Lucy.
需要我现在把晚餐摆上来吗 小姐
Would you like your dinners brought through now, ma'am?
你饿了吗
Are you hungry?
一直很饿
Always.
好的 谢谢 露西
Erm, yes. Thank you, Lucy.
贝利太太把你今晚的房♥间
Mrs Bewley's put you in the apartment
就安排在我隔壁
just next door to mine for the night.
我姑姑知道
Does my aunt...know about...
我在苏格兰自残的事吗
..what I did to myself in Scotland?
不
No.
当然不知道
Of course not.
她怎么会知道
How could she?
说不定伊丽莎白写信的时候说了什么
Just if Elizabeth had written and said anything.
我没觉得她知道
I've never had that impression.
不 我不认为伊丽莎白会说的 你觉得呢
No, I don't think Elizabeth would. Do you?
普里斯特利夫人看见了
Mrs Priestley saw it -
我之前没告诉你
I didn't tell you.
是在马车里 我们从苏格兰回来的路上
In the carriage, on the way back from Scotland.
她问起了吗
Was it spoken of?
是的
Yes, erm,
我跟她说不是她想象的那样
I told her it wasn't what she thought,
但是我能看出来她脑子在转
but I could see her thinking things.
当然就是她想的那样
And, of course, it was.
人们会说闲话
And people talk.
我家里人会说闲话
My family talks.
我在悬崖山待了很长时间
I've spent a good deal of time at Cliffe Hill...
一点都没感觉到
..and I never once got the idea
你姑姑对此有一点点耳闻
your aunt knows a single thing about it.
就是...
It's just...
他们会把它当成我的把柄 如果找到机会的话
You know they'll use it against me, if they can.
他们得先看看我答不答应
They'll have to get past me first.
我何德何能
I don't deserve you.
现在跟我说说你和小史进行得怎么样了
Now, tell me how you've been getting on with Steph.
越来越好了
Better and better.
他鼓励我跟一位艺术大♥师♥学习
He's encouraged me to take on an art master -
布朗先生 我在学透视画法
Mr Brown. We're doing perspective.
我考虑买♥♥一匹小马
Oh, and I wondered about getting a pony.
我好多年没骑马了
I haven't ridden in years,
但贝尔科姆医生觉得这是个好主意
but Dr Belcombe thought it was an excellent idea.
希布登有地方让我养一匹小马吗
Would there be room for me to keep one at Shibden?
当然有
Of course.
你批改我的信了吗
Oh, and did you correct my letter?
是的
Ah, yes.
法语
The French.
我带了《加利尼亚尼巴黎指南》用来查询
I've brought Galignani's Guide To Paris to look through.
我们真的要去吗
Are we really going to go?
当然
Oh, yes.
等我们回来以后
And then, when we come back,
你就搬到希布登和我一起住
you're going to move in with me at Shibden.
我把你的房♥产账本带来了
Oh, I've brought your estate accounts.
我可以跟你一起过一下
And I could go through them with you...
如果你愿意的话
..if you like.
做生意最重要的是... 我觉得
The great desideratum in business...I find...
是稳定性
..is steadiness.
是吗
Mm, is it, then?
持续性
Constancy.
以及牢牢把握住...
That, and having a firm grasp...
事实和数据
..of the facts and figures.
你对你的房♥产和你的账目
The more you understand your estate
了解得越多
and the accounts...
你土地的收益就会越多
..the more you'll get out of your land.
除此之外
And, apart from anything else...
这件事还...
..it's all so...
非常吸引人
..fascinating.
是吗
Ah! Is it?
我带来了米切尔先生对你房♥产的评估
I've brought Mr Mitchell's evaluation of all your property -
咱们和华盛顿做的对比一下
see how it compares to Washington's.
还有你真的需要给伊丽莎白写封信
And then you really ought to write to Elizabeth
说说房♥产分配的事
about the division of the estate.
然后我们就都可以修改我们的遗嘱了
And then we can both get on with altering our wills.
你觉得
How would you feel about
带她回哈利法克斯小住几天怎么样
taking her back to Halifax for a few days?
在你们去巴黎之前
Before this trip to Paris?
可以 但为什么
Can do. Why?
让她的家人放心
Well, put her family's mind at rest.
-是整个家族 -这样他们能看见她
- The tribe. - So they can see her.
看到治疗对她有效
See that she's responding to her treatment
一切都正大光明
and that everything's above board.
出什么事了吗
Has something happened?
有位查尔斯·普里斯特利先生
A Mr. Charles Priestley was here -
四天前来过
four days ago.
是派内斯庄园的爱德华先生派来
Sent by a Mr. Edwards, of Pye Nest.
"家里没人知道她去了哪里
"No-one in the family knows where she is
她离家时没带任何仆人"
"and she's left home without any of her servants."
我向他保证说 她得到了很好的照顾
I assured him that she was being very well looked after,
住的地方隐秘且无可挑剔
that she was in discreet, impeccable lodgings,
她寻求我的帮助完全出于自愿
and that she sought my help entirely of her own volition.
答得好
Well answered.
我想他们一定认为他们在保护她 但并不是
I'm sure they think they're protecting her, but they're not -
他们在把她当孩子
they're infantilising her.
如果他们能看到她选择来这里
If they can see she made the choice to be here,
会产生有益的影响
and it's having a beneficial effect,
他们就会开始明白 她有能力做出选择