剧集 | 加罗律师(2009) | 导航列表
Arthur爵士的资产和仕途受益于与Sarah女士的结合
Sir Arthur's purse and prospects benefitted greatly by the union with Lady Sarah,
而且大大地推动他事业成为下议会议员
and greatly advanced his career as a Member of Parliament.
他对那个职位的献身精神 我无所指责
I will pass no comment on his dedication to that role,
除了说他代表着一个让人不齿的标识
except to say that he represents one of the unfortunately labelled
"不平等选区"
(因为选区选民减少而失去资格 选区议员有名无实)
"rotten boroughs",
那是Arthur Hill爵士议员已有两年没有踏足的地方
and that Sir Arthur Hill MP has not set foot in it for two years!
我传召John Southouse
I call John Southouse.
传John Southouse
Call John Southouse!
先生 你的职业是什么
What are you, sir?
我叫John Southouse 是事务律师
I am John Southouse, attorney,
被传召上庭为被告的品行作证
called to speak to the character of the defendant.
你是William Garrow的朋友吗
You are friends with William Garrow?
William Garrow 真让人爱恨交加
William Garrow is a most difficult man to call "friend".
他执拗
He is obdurate,
凡事讲原则 正好考验情谊
and driven to acts of principle that test the usual bonds of fellowship.
他脾性温和却冲劲十足
He is short on temper and long on haste.
他被一股不寻常的热情牵引
He is guided by such impatient fervour
很多时候 忽略了一般的社交礼仪
that often, the normal courtesies of sociability are left behind.
但我更乐意交他这样一个朋友
But I would rather claim his friendship
而不是得到大众认可 或者得到国王和王后垂怜
than have the approval of a multitude, or the favour of kings and queens.
可惜他没好好扣上裤头的纽扣
Shame then he does not keep buttoned his trouser!
我为你感到羞耻 先生
And shame on you, sir!
你知道什么叫礼仪 却不知道德为何物
Who know everything of manners and nothing of morals!
这让我很痛心
It pains me greatly
一个追求公义
that a man who has, in the pursuit of justice,
致力改变司法界 ,并因此
changed the law, and in so doing,
使国家变得更好的人
changed a nation for the better,
因为一个无中生有的指控 将会落得一个失去生计的下场
should find his livelihood imperilled by an action as flimsy and unfounded as this.
有多少人
There are many men,
好人
fine men...
今天还能睡醒睁眼看到自己的孩子
who this morning awoke to the sight of their children,
能看到深爱的妻子 没有了Garrow和他的顽强
and to the love of their wives, who without Garrow and his stubbornness -
这个最顽强的人
for he can be a most stubborn man -
这些人早已缠着绞绳倒下
would lie under lime with the burns of the rope around their necks.
说的非常好 先生
You speak well, sir,
公正地赞颂了这位大律师
and rightly praise the barrister,
但做为一个人又如何呢
but what of the man?
没有这个人
Without the man...
我今天就不可能出现在此
I would not stand before you today,
到现在我还感恩于他
so far am I indebted to him.
在我绝望的时候
At a time of great despair,
他唤醒了我的心灵和灵魂
he revived my spirit and soul,
重燃我对人生的希望
and restored some small appetite for my own life.
为此 我对他不胜感激
For that, he has my unbroken gratitude.
他是个好人
He is a fine man.
我传召"女性促进联盟"的Cardew夫人
I call Mrs Cardew of the Women's Improvement League.
传...
Call Mrs...
不 不可以 先生
No! You do not, sir.
Silvester先生 请过来
Mr Silvester, you will approach the bench.
也请你过来 Erskine先生
As will you, Mr Erskine.
还有你 Garrow先生
And you, Mr Garrow.
这手段让我很担忧
This approach concerns me greatly.
我要听听辩方的策略
I will hear the defendant's strategy.
我们 传召的证人来自"女性促进联盟"为了证明
We... call the witness from the Women's Improvement League to testify...
不 你不可以
No... you will not.
继续
Go on.
呃 呃 我们
Umm, umm... we...
打算传召西敏寺的主教 事关赔偿涉及
intend to call the Bishop of Westminster regarding the damage
通奸罪是法规里...
that CrimCon has had on the institution...
不可以
No!
这次审判仅仅限于
This trial is about, and only about,
判定原告跟被告谁是谁非
the award of verdict to the plaintiff or defendant,
还有赔偿的依据
and damages according.
无论什么消息 都不像是好消息 我替你担心啊
Whatever the news, it seems not good. You have my sympathy, sir.
Erskine先生 我在想 要是你能同意
I wonder, Mr Erskine, if you might,
在大人特许的情况下
with your Lordship's indulgence...
法官大人 您的睿智已察觉
You have, My Lord, wisely recognised
这位出色的辩护律师已难以为我代言
the difficult role played by this eminent counsel as my mouthpiece,
而你手上的权力可将发言权交付给我
yet it is in your power still to hand me that voice.
我想阁下是绝望了 但我同情心还在
I think, sir, your desperation is showing. But my sympathy stands.
你不反对吧 Erskine先生
You have no objection, Mr Erskine?
考虑到我宅心仁厚
Think me soft-hearted,
怎能阻止Garrow先生最后一次的精彩演说
but how can I deny Mr Garrow a final flourish?
由于考虑到他的受雇人
Since it is his employment we consider,
我认为我必须将最终陈词
I feel I must leave the final word
留给 Silvester先生
to Mr Silvester.
让Garrow先生为自己发表陈词吗
Shall Mr Garrow speak for himself?
法官大人
My Lord...
我相信没有人比他更有资格了
I believe no man is better qualified.
本席提议 Garrow先生将为自己作结案陈词
Let the court be advised, Mr Garrow shall make his own closing statement.
我的Buller法官
My Lord Buller.
Southouse先生 今天我成为你的猎物了吗
Mr Southouse, am I to be your quarry all of this day?
我像捕猎黄鼠狼般穷追不舍 为的就是一个签字
I would chase any weasel to its lair for the signature I need.
黄鼠狼
Weasel?
阁下没忘记你在对谁说话吧
Do you forget who you address, sir?
我没有 William Garrow像落水狗一样被人追着不放
I do not. William Garrow is chased and cornered like a fox,
然后在Kenyon法官的左右下更是蹒跚而行
and then hobbled further by the partialities of Judge Kenyon.
这审判够荒唐的
The trial is so cock-eyed,
若Melville大人佯装成陪审员 我也不会感到惊讶
I would not be surprised if Lord Melville himself were on the jury in disguise.
Southouse先生 我同情你们的处境
Mr Southouse, I sympathise with your cause.
我欣赏Garrow先生 但我不是他的保护人
I admire Mr Garrow, but I am not his protector.
那你就是看守他的狱卒
But you would be his gaoler,
当他被一群狼狗撕扯 而你却袖手旁观
if you stand aside while this circle of dogs tears him apart.
还是出于恐惧或抱或某种企图 你在避免与Melville作对?
Or are you prevented, from fear or by ambition, from opposing Melville?
没有所谓的通奸
There has been no adultery.
在我们第一次碰面 我与Arthur Hill爵士
There has been, almost from the moment of our first meeting,
两人之间已经充满敌意
animosity between myself and Sir Arthur Hill.
让我感到极为伤感的是
There has been great sadness on my part
明艳照人的Sarah Hill女士
that the full radiance of Lady Sarah Hill should be
日复一日地做他丈夫的傀儡
daily smothered by her husband's possessive and deadening hand.
我生命中的遗憾
There has been regret that the road of my fate
就是与她相逢恨晚
did not cross hers before this mis-allied couple met and were wed.
但没有所谓的通奸
But there has been no adultery.
令人沮丧的是 这个软弱的丈夫生性多疑
There's been disappointment that a weak husband's self-delusion
妄想自己忠诚的妻子不甘寂寞
on the fidelity of his faithful wife could not only grow into desperate obsession,
而正中某些人下怀
but that it could find support in those
就是那些心怀鬼胎 千方百计阻扰我履行律师职责的人
who, to meet their own aims, seek to suppress my activities as a barrister
给我设了一个"通奸罪"的陷阱
and entrap me in this charge of Criminal Conversation.
没有所谓的通奸 各位
Because there has been no adultery, gentlemen.
那是
There has been...
那是
There has...
那是敬仰之情
There has been the tug of attraction.
惺惺相惜
There have been ideas exchanged.
但没有通奸
But there has been no adultery.
Buller法官
My Lord Buller.
大人 抱歉
My Lord, forgive me.
一轮心灵挣扎后 我到这里来
I come here after much faint-hearted hesitation.
还有Southouse先生的一番品德教诲
And after a lesson in virtue from Mr Southouse.
如果因为我没有...
And because if I did not...
我怕我不得安眠
I fear I would not sleep.
大人 请原谅这个不情之请
My Lord, forgive this further irregularity.
我手上是一份证人强制令
I have here a compulsory obtained on a witness.
辩方传召证人Elisabeth Fox女士出庭作证
The defence calls to this court Lady Elisabeth Fox.
法官大人 我恳请休庭
My Lord, I ask for an adjournment.
- 休庭 - 全体起立
- We adjourn. - Court shall rise.
各位 我承认这是我的过失 但...
Gentlemen, I am at fault. This I do accept. But...
Farmer先生 就我被蒙在鼓里 这是哪来的寡妇
Mr Farmer, what strange wisdom did you both see in keeping this from me?
Melville大人 我敢起誓...
Lord Melville, I swear to you...
跟他信誓旦旦说自己忠贞一样
Just as he swore himself faithful?
除了妓♥女♥,女佣还有戏子以外 你誓言对妻子忠贞不二
剧集 | 加罗律师(2009) | 导航列表