剧集 | 加罗律师(2009) | 导航列表
18世纪晚期
司法改革的先驱威廉·加罗
倡导改善刑事辩护制度
本片取材自加罗生平事迹
以及伦敦中♥央♥刑事法庭历史卷宗
苏特豪斯先生
Mr Southouse!
以为你至少走上两个月呢
I had reckoned your absence longer than two months.
你这样子我不忍♥卒睹
It burdens me to see you looking so.
我要早点从北部巡审回来
If I could have come back from the northern circuit sooner
陪着你就好了 那可不
to keep company with you... I'm sure of it.
鳏居的日子不好过
The life of a widower is not easy.
丧妻之痛
The loss of her...
着实难耐
is hard to take.
有办法让你重新振作
Mr Southouse, we can remedy this.
先给你刮刮脸 改善下形象
Firstly, we'll improve your appearance by some shaving to your face.
我去叫点咖啡来
And I will send out for some coffee, and...
神清气爽了 你就重出江湖
thus enlivened, you will venture into the world, converse
去市井街头拉案子 替人排忧解难
with the merchants and anybody else in need of an attorney.
你回伦敦也不打个招呼
You did not send word of your return to London.
我可不想坐上半年月子
I did not expect my confinement to last six months.
没让你足不出户吧
Bramber is hardly a confinement.
布兰伯不是我的家 只是你的选区
Bramber is not my home, it is your borough
再说了你都从没去过
and my dear Arthur, you are never there.
这么一来...
And so...
不就能小别胜新婚了?
when we are united, it is a happy occasion.
可离别终究无法让人欢欣
And when we are not, it is a less than happy separation.
现在我回家了 回到了你身边
Now I'm come home. To you.
可我议会有事 还有海军部
But I'm engaged in parliament. And at the Admiralty.
你只是个第二副手 能有多忙?
You're Second Assistant Secretary there. How engaged can you be?
我先失陪了
I must take my leave of you.
你去哪儿?
You go where?
有要紧事急需处理
I have urgent business I must attend to.
我坚持要看她围裙里的东西
I insisted on knowing what she had in her apron.
发现两条长袍 一件猩红披风和一床被单
There I found two gowns, a scarlet cloak and a sheet.
除此之外还找到了什么?
Were there any other things found but these?
一把控诉人♥大♥门的钥匙
This key I found on her, which opens the prosecutor's door.
问话完毕 法官大人
No more questions, my lord.
为此你做何辩解?
Do you have anything to say in your defence?
我靠买♥♥卖♥♥旧衣物为生
I buy and sell old clothes.
这些是从一个女人那里买♥♥来的
I bought these clothes off a woman.
至于钥匙 那是开我家门的
And as for the key, it is the key of my door.
大人 介于这位可怜女子无人辩护
My lord, as this poor woman has no counsel,
我能否自愿协助法庭 对证人稍作询问?
will you permit me as amicus curiae to ask Mr Yardley a thing or two?
问吧
Very well.
你用这把钥匙开过控诉人的门吗
Did you ever try this key you say opens the prosecutor's door?
没有
No.
何以见得是控诉人的呢
Then how do you attempt to identify it as such?
因为控诉人说她的钥匙锈迹斑斑
Because the prosecutor tells me that her key was eat up with rust.
单凭钥匙生锈与否
Is it by a key being worn with rust that
你就在庭上如此指证了?
you affect to identify it in a court of justice?
这种钥匙不常见
It's a very unusual key.
但不是因为其锈迹斑斑 大人
Not because it has been "eat up with rust", my lord.
仍无确凿证据
We still have no reliable evidence of
证明其归属
who it belonged to or what door it opened.
我事务室的钥匙 也同样锈迹斑斑!
I have the key to my chambers. It too has been "eat up with rust"!
你问完了吗 加罗先生
Have you finished, Mr Garrow?
是的 大人
My lord.
就没人能替你作证了吗?
Do you have any witnesses to speak on your behalf?
除了上帝 我只能仰仗陪审团各位了
I have no friend in the world but God and you gentlemen.
求你们发发慈悲
And I beg for mercy.
请陪审团商议判决
Members of the jury, consider your verdict.
我来为她做证
I will speak for her.
莎拉夫人?
Lady Sarah?
我通常不喜欢庭审被人打断
I do not normally take kindly to being interrupted in my own court,
但您一出现 顿感蓬荜生辉啊
but your appearance gives me an altogether different humour.
您不是一个人 法官大人
I think you are not alone, my lord.
请夫人起誓
Swear her ladyship.
她曾是我家的女仆
She was formerly housemaid to me,
她姐姐玛丽仍是我的贴身女仆
and I still employ her sister, Mary, as my personal maid.
莎拉夫人
Lady Sarah,
我不是被告的律师
I do not represent the prisoner,
只是主动请缨协助法庭
but I ask questions on her behalf as amicus curiae,
替她发问
a friend of the court.
那她真是遇贵人了 你对她也是
Then she is truly befriended. By you too, I think.
加罗先生?
Mr Garrow?
你有问题要问证人吗
Do you have any questions for the witness?
你近来可好?
You are well, I hope?
希望我今天来 没让你感到不自在
I hope my appearance did not cause you any discomfort.
只有你之前销声匿迹
It was only your previous disappearance
才真让我无所适从
that caused me any difficulty.
我可不会同情你
I will not pity you, especially
你不是和好些窈窕淑女结伴出行
when I suspect that you have lately met several young women
当她们的护花使者吗?
who do walk chaperoned beside you.
倒不是你礼貌周全
And not because good manners demand it,
而是万一她们晕倒 好有个人倚靠
but lest they swoon and are in want of someone to lean on.
可惜我只在法庭上受人倚重
Alas, I am only in demand at the bar.
我一直在乡间
I have been in the country.
我有了个儿子 叫塞缪尔
I have a son now, Samuel.
我祝你幸福美满
I wish you well in your happiness.
只是巧合 苏特豪斯先生
Coincidental, Mr Southouse.
不是缘份使然喽?
Not serendipitous, then?
官司打赢了 这才是值得称庆的
The only good fortune in this is the outcome of the trial.
别谈什么儿女私情
Do not enquire after my heart.
你居然屈尊纡贵 替以前的粗使女佣做证?
A lady bears witness at the Old Bailey to a former scullery maid?
简直闻所未闻
That does not happen.
你了解我 我从不循规蹈矩
You should know of me, I care not for convention.
至少你身为人♥妻♥ 该安守本份
I do hope you make an exception for the conventions in your marriage.
谁为她辩护的?
Who did defend her?
加罗先生
It was Mr Garrow.
加罗?
Garrow?
我跟他一样 当时都很意外
I had no more expectation of seeing him than he had of seeing me.
"戎"号♥运奴船
A ship called the Zong.
船主们要索赔损失的货物
The owners claimed for the value of their cargo.
出于不得已 133个奴隶被扔下了海
133 slaves thrown overboard on the grounds of necessity.
船长认为淡水即将用尽
The captain deemed they were running out of water supplies,
声称此举是为了顾全大局
the action purportedly taken to save the ship.
声称而已 我们赔付了保险金
Purportedly. We honoured the loss.
而现在却提出异议?
And now you dispute the claim?
不仅如此 还要告他们骗保
We do more than that. We challenge fraud.
这是船上唯一一名乘客的日记
This is a diary written by the only passenger on board the ship,
罗伯特·斯塔布斯
Robert Stubbs.
与船长所言大相径庭
It contradicts the captain's account.
先生们 我很乐意接下这案子
Well, gentlemen, I am very happy to accept the case.
前提是你委托加罗先生
Your engagement is conditional on you instructing Mr Garrow.
再见
Goodbye.
借过 借过 借过
Excuse me sir. Excuse me. Excuse me.
保险索赔书声称 船只"腐蚀渗漏"
The insurance claim declared the ship was rendered "foul and
"因为遭遇海上风险"
leaky, having been retarded by perils of the sea,
"顶风逆流以及其他疏漏"
"contrary winds and currents and other mistakes".
影响到了货物的安全
Affecting the safe passage of its cargo.
440个从西非运往牙买♥♥加的黑奴
440 Africans on board from West Africa to Jamaica.
133个被扔进海里 60个死于热病
133 thrown into the sea, 60 dead from fever.
利物浦保险公♥司♥一个黑奴赔付30镑
Now, Liverpool Assurance covered the loss of 30 pounds per Negro,
"戎"号♥船长也许不够审慎
because although Captain Collingwood may have been in want of
但还构不成失职
common care, he was not negligent.
可斯塔布斯的日记却表明
However, Robert Stubbs' diary suggests very strongly that
损失并非由于海上风险
the loss arose not from perils of the sea,
而是船长判断有误
but from Collingwood's poor judgement.
何以见得?
How so?
航行中 他把牙买♥♥加误认为海地岛
On the voyage, he mistook Jamaica for Hispaniola.
结果航程用了112天
The journey took 112 days
一般运送黑奴只需60天
instead of the 60 days of most middle-passage journeys.
结果就是淡水用尽
剧集 | 加罗律师(2009) | 导航列表