献给埃德加·爱伦·坡
To Edgar Allan Poe,
他的故事启发这部电影
whose stories have inspired this motion picture.
这是指控吗 派克先生
Is that an accusation, Mr. Pike?
你这是指控吗
Is that some sort of an accusation?
你这是指控吧 派克先生
Is that some sort of an accusation, Mr. Pike?
你说什么 没说什么
What'd you say? Nothing. Nothing.
我想你说了什么 没有
I thought you said something. No.
我只是自言自语 没说什么
I was just talking to myself. It's nothing.
他要变现这笔贵重财产
He's liquidating a substantial number of his assets here.
这代表15% 也或许20%的财产
This represents 15, possibly 20 percent of his holdings.
我不知道 厄尼从来不肯多告诉我那些事
I wouldn't know. Ernie has never talked to me much about business.
可能愿意等
Perhaps if he'd be willing to wait until--
他不能等 派克先生
He can't wait, Mr. Pike.
医生给他三周时间 最多也是六周
The doctors give him three weeks. Six at the most.
厄尼现在想完成这个
Ernie wants this done now.
所有的收益都归你
With all the proceeds going to you.
那就对了 时机不对
That's right. Bad timing.
一些股票的市场价已经低于前几年
The market price on some of these stocks is lower than it's been in years.
为什么他不简单地 把资产写你的名字
Why doesn't he simply put these assets in your name?
我不需要资产 派克先生 我只需要些现金来生活
I don't need assets, Mr. Pike. I need dollars to live on.
你可要记得这个慷慨的意愿
You've been remembered, quite generously, in the will.
派克先生 安排好这些遗产要多长时间
And how long will it take to settle the estate, Mr. Pike?
18个月 或许2年
Eighteen months. Two years.
那我在等待的时间该干嘛
Depending on What do I do while I'm waiting?
找一份服务员的工作吗
Take a job as a waitress?
我不是社会人 派克
I'm not society, Mr. Pike.
我一无所有
I have nothing of my own.
我是厄尼从红眼航♥班♥带回来的乘务员
I was a flight attendant that Ernie brought home off the red-eye...
带进这个让你和其他人都震惊和失望的镇上
to the shock and dismay of you and everyone else in this town.
我嫁给一个钻石王老五
I married a rich, old man.
我让他尽情取乐
I let him use me for pleasure and for show.
现在我要他付给我服务费
Now I'm going to let him pay me for my services.
这是厄尼的签名?
This is Ernest's signature?
你在质疑吗 派克先生
Is that some sort of an accusation, Mr. Pike?
你好 厄尼 是的
Hello, Ernie. Yes.
是的 我和斯蒂芬一起到这里
Yes. I'm here with Steven Pike.
我给他那份文件 我认为他不太喜欢
I gave him the papers. I don't think he likes it very much.
好
Well...
你肯定你说了算
are you sure you're up to it?
好吧 我让他听
All right. I'll put him on.
你好 厄尼 你好 斯蒂芬
Hello, Ernest. Hello, Steven.
你的感觉怎样 还痛吗
How are you feeling? How's the pain?
你还觉得很痛吗
Are you feeling much pain?
不 不痛了
No. No pain.
听着 厄尼
Listen, Ernest.
我这里有你送来的文件
I have these papers here, the ones you sent.
是吗
Yes?
您确定要这么做
Are you sure you want to do this?
你有没有想清楚
Have you thought this through?
是的 我有想清楚 斯蒂芬
Yes. I want to do it, Steven.
我欠杰西卡的
I owe it to Jessica.
你好 什么事
Hello? Yes?
你是谁 我是斯蒂芬·派克 是瓦德马尔先生的律师
Who is this? I'm Steven Pike, Mr. Valdemar's attorney.
派克先生 我是鲍伯·霍夫曼 是厄尼先生的医生
Bob Hoffman, Mr. Pike. I'm Ernie's doctor.
看 这真的有必要吗 厄尼他
Look. Is all this really necessary? Ernie's...
他需要更多的休息
Well, he needs as much rest as he can get.
除非出现紧急情况
So, unless this is something really urgent...
欧内斯特让我♥干♥点活 非正规的
Well, Ernest is asking me to do something a bit, unorthodox.
这些不像他的风格
Something that's, very unlike him to do.
欧内斯特往往会做令人惊讶的事 派克先生
People with Ernest's prognosis will often do surprising things, Mr. Pike.
我能给保证他跟往常一样敏锐
I can assure you his mind is as sharp as ever.
我明白 谢谢 医生
I see. I see. Thank you, Doctor. I--
我希望我没有打扰他
I hope I haven't disturbed him too much.
我不想麻烦他
I just don't want him agitated. That's all.
我肯定你明白 是的 当然
I’m sure you understand Yes. Yes, of course. Yes--
再见 医生 再见
Good-bye, Doctor. Good-bye.
我准备必要的表格和电子邮件
I'll prepare the necessary forms
然后发给欧内斯特签名
and mail them to you for Ernest's signature.
我不想有任何的耽误 我停下来接他们
Well, I wouldn't want any delays. I'll stop by and pick them up.
明天早上 我希望他们准备好了
Tomorrow morning. They'll be ready, I hope?
他们会准备好的 谢谢
They'll be ready. Thank you.
派克先生 祝你今天愉快
Have a nice day, Mr. Pike.
上帝啊 他还 还在催眠
God, he's still Still under.
还完全由我来支配
Still completely at my command.
瓦德马尔
Valdemar.
重复那些话
Repeat these words.
我自愿的
I want to do it.
我欠杰西卡的
I owe it to Jessica.
我自愿的 我欠杰西卡的
I want to do it. I owe it to Jessica.
叫醒他
Wake him up.
为了伤痛 为了他垂死的觉悟
To the pain? To the realization that he's dying?
他现在这样更好
He's better off where he is.
还有
Besides,
我想如果我们让他睡觉
I thought if we let him sleep,
我们可能有时间来清算我们的资产
we might be able to have some time, liquidate a few assets of our own.
罗伯特 如果他 怎么 如果他会听到我
Robert! What if he What? What if he hears me?
我肯定他会 瓦德马尔
Well, I'm sure he can. Valdemar.
你听到我说的话吗 是的
Do you hear me? Yes.
我听到 好的
I hear you. Fascinating.
在他内心深处 他清楚知道我们在做什么
Somewhere deep in his consciousness he knows exactly what we're doing to him.
但我叫醒他那一切都消失了
But when I wake him, it'll all disappear.
黄粱一梦
Like the fragments of a dream.
我发现没有什么好的
I don't find it fascinating.
变♥态♥的
It's morbid.
可怕的
Frightening.
我不像你那样有报复心
I'm not as... vindictive as you are.
我对此一点也不觉得高兴
I don't take any pleasure out of this.
他是一个冷酷的老头 把别人当物品对待
He's a ruthless old man who treats people as if they were possessions.
他用一生得到他想要的 从不管别人的感受
He spent his life taking whatever he wanted without a care for anyone else.
他从我身边抢走你 为了报复 是的 我是为了报复
He took you away from me. Vindictive? Yes. Yes, I am vindictive.
他没有抢走我 我自己走的
He didn't take me. I went.
他不知道我那时看上了你
He didn't know I was seeing you.
他并没有意识到我们曾经认识
He doesn't even realize we knew each other bef--
你希望你回来 杰西 罗伯特 请别这样 我不能
I want you back, Jess. Robert. Please. I can't.
不是现在 我不能
Not now. I couldn't.
这是我很困难时期
I-I'm having a very difficult time with this. I...
我需要你明白 谅解我的难处
I need you to try to be sensitive to that, try to understand how hard this is for me.
如果你想我走过这一关 你已经准备走过了
If you want me to go through with it You already have gone through with this.
不再回头
There's no turning back anymore.
你要告诉派克先生什么 那是误会
What are you gonna tell Mr. Pike? "This has all been a misunderstanding.
当我让他签那张纸时
I didn't realize my husband was under hypnosis
我没有意识到我的丈夫被催眠
when I asked him to sign the papers."
你喜欢在牢里 杰西卡 食物很难吃
You won't like it in prison, Jessica. The food's awful.
让我们有一说一 好吧
And let's call a spade a spade, all right?
这是你的主意 不是我的 我愿意去等
This was your idea, not mine. I was willing to wait.
我只想让我们在一起 但这还不够好 是吗
I just wanted us to be together again, but that wasn't good enough, was it?
比不上你尝过做富人的滋味
Not after you got a taste of what it was to be rich.
你要假装你不在乎金钱
You're going to pretend you don't care about the money?
不 我当然想得到钱
No. Of course I want the money,
但我也需要你 我以为你也需要我
but I want you too, and I thought you wanted me.
是的
I do.
罗伯特 我愿意
Robert I do.
但那太难了
It's just difficult--
比关心一个你知道是贼的人还难吗
Difficult to care about someone you know is a thief?
我知道
I know.
我有同样的问题
I have the same problem.
瓦德马尔 我来叫醒你
Valdemar. I'm going to wake you now.
当我数到5
When I count to five,
你会完全醒过来
you will be completely awake and alert.
一
One.