我现在看到B-17轰炸机时 仍然有一样的感觉
I still get the same reaction when I see a B-17.
(1997年)
那飞机真美,对吧?
But isn't that a beautiful aircraft?
就像一件雕塑品
It's like a piece of sculpture.
起飞后在空中也很漂亮
And it's lovely in the air when your wheels are up.
(第100轰炸机大队飞行员 “罗森”罗伯罗森泰)
编队飞行时
When you flew in formation...
有时是跟一千架飞机一起飞
sometimes with a thousand aircraft...
那景象非常美丽而震撼
it was a very beautiful and dramatic sight.
在冷冽而蔚蓝的欧洲上空
In the cold, blue skies over Europe,
一种新型态的战斗
a new kind of combat was fought
在一种人类从未经历过的环境中开打
in an environment that had never been experienced before.
这是战争史上独特的存在
It was a singular event in the history of warfare.
史无前例,也不会再重演
Unprecedented and never to be repeated.
40个美国轰炸机大队的空军士兵
Airmen from 40 American bomber groups
在空战中浴血奋战,死伤无数
bled and died in staggering numbers in air combat.
其中一个充满冲劲又桀骜不驯的大队
One of these groups, hyperaggressive and undisciplined,
在很短的时间内死伤尤为惨重
suffered so many casualties in such a short period of time
因此被称为“浴血之师”
it became known as the Bloody Hundredth.
《浴血之师:第 100 轰炸机大队》
(欧洲开战)
德国入侵波兰
Germany has invaded Poland.
约9点时发生大规模攻击,华沙遭到轰炸
In a big attack, about nine o'clock, Warsaw itself was bombed.
(华沙)
今天一早,德军从陆地和空降方式
The German army invaded Holland and Belgium early this morning
入侵荷兰和比利时
by land and from parachutes
(荷兰弃守)
(纳粹于法国再次推进)
你问,我们的策略为何?
You ask, what is our policy?
那就是从陆、海、空全面开战
It is to wage war by sea, land and air.
对抗一个在黑暗及可悲的人类罪行中
To wage war against a monstrous tyranny never surpassed
前所未有的无良暴♥政♥
in the dark and lamentable catalog of human crime.
(《每日新闻》,伦敦遭到轰炸)
(英国声称纳粹闪电战无用)
若英国战败
If Great Britain goes down,
轴心国将掌控欧洲、亚洲
the Axis powers will control the continents of Europe and Asia
及非洲大♥陆♥,他们将得以
and Africa, and they will be in a position
动用庞大的军事和海军资源对抗此半球
to bring enormous military and naval resources against this hemisphere.
今早,我们目睹了
We have witnessed this morning
敌机猛烈轰炸珍珠港
severe bombing of Pearl Harbor by enemy planes.
这不是开玩笑
It is no joke.
而是真正的战争
It is a real war.
(夏威夷遭攻击)
(宣战)
我请求国会宣布
I ask that the Congress declare
由于日本无端...
that since the unprovoked
且卑鄙地发动攻击
and dastardly attack by Japan,
我们进入战争状态
a state of war.
(意大利、德国宣战)
在战争中的此刻
At this point in the war,
希♥特♥勒♥德国掌控了欧洲大♥陆♥
Hitler's Germany controlled continental Europe.
英国孤立无援
Great Britain stood alone and vulnerable,
欧洲仅存的民♥主♥国家与纳粹交战
the last surviving European democracy at war with the Nazis.
问题在于,要如何反击敌军
And the question became how to hit back at the enemy.
英国的轰炸指挥部从1940年以来
Britain's bomber command had been striking Germany incessantly
持续袭击德国,但效果不彰
but ineffectively since 1940,
在夜间空袭中损失惨重 且经常严重偏离目标
taking huge losses in night raids that often missed their targets by miles.
全球的民♥主♥政体 遭遇显著且立即的危机
There was a clear and present danger to global democracy
这是纳粹造成的
because of the Nazis.
因此,爱国主义是美国最伟大一代...
So, patriotism was something that the Greatest Generation,
(电影制♥作♥人,史蒂芬史匹柏)
也就是我父亲那一代非常重视的事
my father's generation, took very, very seriously.
听着,我和你们谈话并不是只为了交差
Now, it isn't as if it was a chore for me to talk to you
而是因为我想谈谈我最喜欢的主题 也就是陆军航♥空♥军
because I wanna speak on my favorite subject, the Army Air Forces.
(第453轰炸机大队飞行员 “吉米”詹姆斯史都华)
我没有长♥期♥的经验谈
I can't speak from long experience.
因为我只服役了一年
I've only been in the service a year,
但我已十分了解航♥空♥军的价值
but I've learned a lot about what the air forces have to offer.
我想跟你们说的是这件事
That's what I wanna talk to you about.
陆军航♥空♥军需要一万五千名上尉
The Army Air Forces need 15,000 captains,
四万名中尉、三万五千名飞行中士
40,000 lieutenants, 35,000 flying sergeants.
各位美国青年,你们的未来在空中
Young men of America, your future's in the sky.
双翼在等着你们
Your wings are waiting.
我当时大学二年级读到一半
I was in the middle of my sophomore year in college
胸无大志,只想着追女生和喝威士忌
and didn't have a lot on my mind but chasing girls and drinking whiskey.
(第100轰炸机大队飞行员 “拉奇”约翰拉克杜)
那时,发生了珍珠港事件,接着...
Meantime, Pearl Harbor happens, and then,
我跟其他兄弟会的弟兄们一起 被招募为飞行学员
along with my other fraternity brothers, were recruited as aviation cadets.
立正
Attention!
当时,反犹太主义高涨
At that time, there was a great deal of anti-Semitism.
希♥特♥勒♥鼓吹雅利安民族优越论
And Hitler, with his talk of superiority of the Aryan nation,
无所作为让我觉得沮丧
I had a sense of frustration that I couldn't do anything about it.
突然间,那种沮丧感消失了
Suddenly, that frustration disappeared.
现在我觉得自己能有所作为
I'd felt now that I could do something.
我认为最有效的服役方式是当飞行员
I thought the most effective way to serve would be as a pilot.
(招募中心)
隔天,我就去报名,自愿成为飞行学员
I went down the next day and volunteered to be an air force cadet.
在入伍前,有数千名的美国飞行学员
Before enlisting, thousands of American flyers had never set foot
从未踏上飞机 也从未向比松鼠更具威胁性的目标射击
in an airplane or fired a shot at anything more threatening than a squirrel.
机组人员来自美国各地
The crews were made up of men from every part of America
有着各式各样的背景
and nearly every station in life.
有哈佛大学历史系学生 西维吉尼亚州的煤矿工人
There were Harvard history majors and West Virginia coal miners.
华尔街的律师、奥克拉荷马州的牛仔
Wall Street lawyers and Oklahoma cowpunchers.
好莱坞偶像和美式足球明星
Hollywood idols and football heroes.
学员们通过测验
The cadets have passed their test.
现在,他们将开始上飞行课程
And now, they'll get their flying lessons.
每位导师有四个学生
Each instructor had four students.
另外三位学生曾受过飞行训练 而我完全没有
The other three students had previous flight training, I had none.
我从没上过飞机
I had never been inside of an airplane.
大约十小时后,我们就要单飞
After about ten hours, we'd have solo.
轮子离地后,就没人能帮你了
When those wheels leave the ground, there's no one to help you.
(第100轰炸机大队飞行员 约翰A.克拉克)
你只能靠自己
You're on your own.
我成为导航员,因为我当不成飞行员
I became a navigator because I was a flop as a pilot.
(第100轰炸机大队导航员 哈利克罗斯比)
我被刷掉
I got washed out.
我永远不会忘记 把我刷掉的是美泰克中尉
I'll never forget the guy that washed me out was Lieutenant Maytag,
这名字很适合刷掉一个有潜力的飞行学员
proper name for washing out a prospective flying student.
(第100轰炸机大队轰炸员 乔瑟夫阿曼尼尼)
我有一位军队导师,他本来要刷掉我
I had a military instructor, and he was about to wash me out,
然后他说:“反正一定你会害死自己
and he said, "You're gonna kill yourself anyway,
但我跟你说,我去坐在那棵树下
but I'll tell you what, I'm gonna go over and sit under that tree.
如果你能把飞机带起来三次 按照范例绕行,并且降落,你就合格了
If you can take this up three times and around the pattern and land it, you're in.
若没成功,你就淘汰”
If not, you're out."
(美国陆军)
我们从早上8点飞到晚上8点
We flew from eight o'clock in the morning to eight o'clock at night.
我做了紧急拉升转向 和水平S型转弯的各种动作
I did various maneuvers of chandelles and lazy S's.
在难得的休假日,我们会玩空中格斗
And on a rare day off, we would dogfight.
那是我这辈子最乐在其中的时光
I never enjoyed anything more than I did at that time.
我有40位同学刚从飞行学校毕业
Forty of my classmates, just graduated from flying school,
跟我一起
along with me,
(飞行学员,军官,43-B班)
都被指派去开B-17轰炸机
were all assigned to fly the B-17.
我们从没开过B-17轰炸机
We'd never been in a B-17 before.
波音空中堡垒轰炸机由十人操控
The Boeing Flying Fortress, manned by ten men,
这款新型轰炸机的时速约为483公里
this new bomber has a speed of nearly 300 miles an hour.
机身上的凸起处是机♥枪♥的砲塔
The bulges on its fuselage are turrets for machine guns.
搭载了四千匹马力的引擎
With 4,000 horsepower engines,
能在不降落加油的情况下巡航4828公里
it can cruise for 3,000 miles without landing to refuel.
B-17是第一架设计成能攻也能守的轰炸机
B-17 was the first both offensive and defensive aircraft ever designed.
以攻击来说,它的投弹重量 在当时算非常重
Offensively, it dropped very heavy payloads for its day.
它被称为空中堡垒 是因为配备了很多点50口径机♥枪♥
And it was called the Flying Fortress because it had so many 50-caliber guns.
B-17轰炸机开起来的感觉很好
The feel of the B-17 was wonderful.
它的反应很顺畅,所以我马上就上手了
The plane responded so beautifully that I immediately related to it.
我很高兴能开B-17轰炸机
I was very happy to be on B-17s.
我们训练了五或六个月
We had about five or six months of practice training
准备派驻到海外
and getting ready for an overseas assignment.
1943年5月,我们被派到英国
In May of 1943 we were sent to England
(第100轰炸机大队导航员 法兰克墨菲)
加入第八航♥空♥队
to become a part of the Eighth Air Force.
出国前,有人跟我们说
We were told before we went overseas,