应该不是这里
It shouldn't be here.
继续行进到
Moving on to...
狼336 F- 级 行星
Wolf 336. F-class star...
在赤经 7.36.7.
at right ascension 7.36.7.
偏差 5.21
5.21 declination.
我认为那是最后一个
I thought that was the last one.
你为什么那么想?
Why'd you think that?
你说过它就是
You said that it would be.
不 我清楚地记得忘记了
No. I distinctly remember forgetting that.
我不知道为什么我能忍♥受这个
I don't know why I put up with this.
噢 我知道了 因为我给你驱使的
Yes. I do. Because I let you drive.
我是个人♥质♥
I'm a ride-share hostage.
F- 级行星 最近的变化
F- class star. Recent variability.
14.6 光年之前
14.6 light-years away.
整个步骤都是胡说的
This is nuts anyway. The whole approach.
SETI(对外星智能的探索系统) 足以对付微波段
SETI's tough enough on microwave band.
现在你想搜寻 FM?
Now you want to search FM?
尽管噪音很多?
With all that noise?
就好比干草堆中找根针
Might as well look for a needle in a haystack...
针
of needles.
五号♥站
Station Five.
我的声音你也不熟悉吗?赞恩
Is my voice even vaguely familiar to you. Zane?
亲爱的 我正准备离开这
Honey. I'm trying to get out of here.
但像往常一样 加尔文挟持着我
but as usual. Calvin's holding me up.
1:00 之前应该到家 1:30.
Should be home by 1:00. 1:30.
1:30. 星期二? 星期三? 上午? 下午?
1:30. Tuesday? Wednesday? A.M.? P.M.?
我能说什么? 我是个人♥质♥
What can I say? I'm a ride-share hostage.
我去小个便
I'm going to go pee.
我会试试
I will try to...
你在哪里?
Where are you?
哦,我正和贝基喝酒
I'm having a drink with Becky.
我工作的时候你上酒吧?
You're in some bar. while I'm here working?
这有个可爱的曲棍球球员
There's a cute hockey player here too.
但他只在镇上呆一个晚上
But he's only in town for one night.
好 我投降了 你想怎么样?
All right. I give up. What do you want?
我要和你上♥床♥ 赞恩
I want your ass in bed. Zane.
好 我现在走
Okay. I'll leave now...
如果你现在离开
if you leave now.
出去的途中不要和 任何的陌生人谈话
But do not talk to any strangers on the way out.
我在我的地方等你 83 分钟后 好吗?
I'll see you at my place in 83 minutes. okay?
发誓你会在那里? 我不想重复像上星期那样
Swear you'll be there? I don't want a repeat of last week.
如果我说了去那里 我就会去 别乱猜测了
If I say I'm going to be there. I will. End of story.
现在没有什么东西重要得过 我们的
There is nothing more important to me right now than our...
好坚硬的长针
Good solid spike.
调音很对称
Nice symmetry to the modulation.
检测记录 马上
Detection protocol. Now
证实阶段一 - 卫星天线轴旋转五度
Confirmation Phase One. - Swing dish five degrees off axis.
信♥号♥♥衰弱了 看起来很好
And signal fades. Looking good.
现在把轴旋转回来
Now swing dish back on target.
信♥号♥♥回来了 明确天空位置 狼336 是你在咆哮
Signal returns. Definitely sky based. Wolf 336. you are howling.
阶段二
Phase Two
开始软件检查
Initiating software check.
跳到阶段三: 第二者的作证
Jumping ahead to Phase Three: second source verification.
谁仍然在线上? 格林银行? 俄亥俄州? 莫非特 非尔德
Who's still on line? Green Bank? Ohio State? Moffet Field
检查 仍旧校验中
Checking. Still checking.
在那里 一定要在那里 我们要其他人听听这个
Be there. Just be there. We got to get another ear on this.
软件自检完毕 阶段二完成
Software self-checks. Phase Two complete.
快点 莫非特 你正谋杀我 我在这垂死挣扎
Come on. Moffet. You're killing me. I'm dying here
快接电♥话♥ 我才能证明这个
Just pick up the phone so we can confirm this.
什么也没有
Nothing.
渣明斯基
Zaminsky
渣明斯基 这里没有代客停车的
Zaminsky This is not valet parking
失控了它 我也失控了 这块
Stalled out on me. Stalled on me This piece of...
对不起 先生
Sorry. sir.
对不起
Sorry.
就这样? 四十二秒
That's it? Forty-two seconds.
我们整晚都听到有
We listened all night.
整个夜晚 整个早晨而且声音从不重复
All night. all morning. and the sound never repeated.
现在是 42 秒的非随意的声音 非地球建立的信♥号♥♥
It's 42 seconds of nonrandom. non-Earth-based signal
这可能是它 戈迪
This could be it. Gordy.
听起来很扁平 像是军事爆破的通讯
Sounds compressed. like a military burst communication.
不是 不是 不会是 107 兆赫的
No way. No way. Not at 107 megahertz.
107? 你在那么低的微波段干什么?
107? What the hell are you doing so far below the microwave?
问得好
Good question.
因此这是一个变星 这个 狼336?
So this is a variable star. this Wolf 336?
14.6 光年之远
14.6 light-years away.
嗯 好
All right. Okay.
所以如果它是不稳定的 它的膨胀和收缩都是瞩目的
So if it is a variable. it expands and contracts dramatically.
如此 先生 也许你可以和我解释
So. gentlemen. maybe you can explain to me...
在一个如此不稳定的环境中 如此智能的生物可以发展
how intelligent life can actually develop in such a volatile environment.
可是如此不稳定是为了什么?
It's only been unstable for what?
五十年左右
Fifty years or so.
那意谓可能有一些形式的 生命仍然可以生存下来
Which means it's possible some form of life could still exist there.
完全正确
Exactly.
也许这是一个痛苦的呼叫
Maybe this is a distress call.
S.O.S.
An S.O.S.
也许他们正在送出 他们痛苦的意思
Maybe they're sending out their Encyclopedia Gallactica...
沉船之前放弃了他们所有的文明
jettisoning all their knowledge before it goes down with the ship.
持续 42 秒 而且它从不重复
It lasted 42 seconds. and it never repeated.
所以我们必须停留在这个 戈迪 以防万一
That's why we have to stay on this one. Gordy. in case it does.
我可以两倍加班 如果有需要 我三倍的加
I'll pull double shifts. I'll pull triple shifts if I have to.
但我需要优先权地位 还有卫星天线的使用时间
But I want priority status and dish time. Serious dish time.
正常的上班时间更适合
During normal business hours. preferably.
加尔文 你何不回家 睡一睡呢?好吗?
Calvin. why don't you go home. get some sleep. okay?
去吧
Go ahead.
这是个强制性的 20% 的裁减
It's a mandatory 20%cutback.
太空跟踪站有固定的 操作费用 我无法插手
Tracking station has a fixed operating cost. I can't touch that.
我必须为职员着想 - 你连我也欺骗吗?
I've got to look at personnel. - Are you even shitting me?
我能调转月薪 而不是二个星期
I can swing a month's pay. instead of two weeks.
也许那之前要扩展两个星期的 健康保障 但是
Maybe extend the health benefits two weeks beyond that. but
如果我一直收到这个让我考虑一下
Let me see if I got this straight.
我来找你
I come to you...
我来找你是因为也许
I come to you with what may be...
这是 20 世纪的大发现:
the preeminent discovery of the 20th Century:
太阳系存在其他生物的可能
the possibility of extra-solar life.
而且我还录了音?
And I get shitcanned for it?
我知道这是多么的重要
I know how important this is.
但搜索外星人 在这种政♥治♥环境中
But searching for E.T.s in this political environment
很难使国会接受
is a tough sell on Capitol Hill.
如果我们不开始花钱去研究更确实的科学
If we don't start spending money on harder science.
我们就会失败
we're going to lose it.
就此打住一下 这个信♥号♥♥怎么样?
Let's forget about me for a second. What about the signal?
我是怀疑的
I'm skeptical.
但它很有趣
But it is interesting.
我会顺着去解码
I'll pass it along to decoding.
看看哪里是否有识别模式 但是
See if there's a pattern recognition there. but...
但我不须告诉你 你知道规矩的
I don't have to tell you. You know the rule.
如果你不能确定它 - 那么它就是不存在的
If you can't confirm it... - Then it doesn't exist.
那个混♥蛋♥定的规矩? 我们不能修改的吗?
What asshole made up that rule? Can we fire him instead?
这不是由我决定
It doesn't please me...
如何放弃最辉煌和最好的
to be losing the brightest and the best.
我希望有另外的方法 我会公正地对待的
I wish there was another way. I honestly do.
南加州最终冷了下来
Well. it is finally cooling off in the Southland...
最近一天的温度记录显示
after a day of near-record temperatures.
但明天和星期四又会持续热起来
But hot again tomorrow and hot again on Thursday with no letup
钱赚得怎么样? 如果你需要我 我可以
How are you doing for money? If you need me to. I could...
不 那是 SETI 的北上计划
No. There's a SETI program up north.
管♥理♥员♥ 比尔 沃特 请我讨论一下
Guy who runs it. Bill Wyatt. was begging me to come up.
可能打电♥话♥给他
Might call him.
你不是真的想回去了 是吗?
You're not really thinking about going back to it. are you?