但同时
On the other hand,
即使当事人在作案期间的
even if the age and the maturity level of the person
年龄和成熟度
at the time that they have committed the crime
并不具有相当大的重要性
doesn't gre... doesn't garner a great deal of significance,
他们年龄尚小的事实
the fact that they are still of that young age
给重塑和教育留下了很大的希望
offers a greater promise of rehabilitation.
卡特女士 请起立
Miss Carter, please stand.
卡特女士 已被裁决犯下
Miss Carter, a guilty finding having entered on the indictment
过失杀人罪
charging you with the involuntary manslaughter
致康拉德·罗伊死亡
of Conrad Roy III
现判你有期徒刑两年半
now sentences you to two and a half years
在布里斯托县改造所服刑
in the Bristol County House of Correction.
这其中包含
Fifteen months of said sentence
最低刑期15个月
shall be deemed a committed sentence
余下的刑期减刑与否
and the balance thereof shall be suspended
将在2022年8月1日前决定
until August 1st of 2022.
这是本法庭的判决 你可以坐下了
That is the sentence of the court. You may be seated.
卡塔尔多先生 你还有话要说吗
Mr. Cataldo, do you wish to be heard?
有的 法官大人
I do, Your Honor.
可以上台吗 -可以
May I approach? - You may.
法官大人 我刚刚提交了一份
Your Honor, what I have just filed
延缓判决执行的请求
is a motion to stay the execution of the sentence.
好的 我会看的 -谢谢您
All right, let me take a look at it please. - Okay, thank you.
我觉得我们都在本案进行过程中互相有几分了解了
I guess we have all come to know each other a little bit.
我预料到了你的这份请求 卡塔尔多先生
I anticipated this motion, Mr. Cataldo,
我花了相当一段时间
and I took some significant time
回顾《州联邦VS霍吉案》
to review the case of Commonwealth versus Hodge.
马塞诸塞851卷记录380节
Which is found at 380 Mass 851.
虽然判决可以被改变
The conviction may be reversible
但服刑的岁月却不可弥补
but the time spent in prison is not.
我很高兴看到这样有价值的讨论
I am satisfied that there is an issue worthy of presentation
可以在上诉法庭上继续进行 事实上
to the appellate court. In fact, this court
本法庭相信上诉法庭的智慧
believes that the wisdom of the appellate court
将会对以后的案件有着重要的铺路石作用
will be of instruction now and going forward.
我不知道上诉法庭会如何判决
I don't know what the appeals court will do.
我不知道会不会上到马塞诸塞州最高法庭
I don't know if it goes to the SJC,
最高法庭会如何判决
what the SJC will do.
但我很高兴能以马塞诸塞州特有的
But I am satisfied that a grant of a stay
法律制度的名义批准延缓刑期的
through the Massachusetts court system only
请求
is warranted.
出于对联邦制度的尊重
This order will not encompass anything with respect
本指令不会对上诉产生任何影响
to the federal system.
还有事宜吗 卡塔尔多先生或者玛德拉先生
Is there anything further, Mr. Cataldo or Mr. Madeira?
请稍等一分钟
One minute please.
我们没有问题了 谢谢您
We're all set. Thank you.
法庭休庭
And we are adjourned.
谢谢大家
Thank you very much.
全体起立
All rise.
我不明白为什么一个月前
I don't understand how a month ago
一个有罪判决给这个家庭带来了希望
it's a guilty verdict giving the family hope
带来了正义得到了伸张的希望
that there might be some type of justice,
但她居然就这么被释放回家吃晚饭了
to just have her go home tonight and have a nice meal.
我就不明白 我都说了
I just don't get it. Like I said,
我虽然也不懂法 但法官的意思就是
it's saying to me... I don't have a law degree,
我不懂法 但是法官就好像在说只要未成年
I don't have... But it saying as long I'm under 18,
就能欺负别人
I can bully anyone.
你对缓刑满意吗
Are you pleased with the stay?
很满意 是的
Very much so, yes. Yes.
你得明白 人们对这个案子的观点非常两极分化
You have to remember, people were totally split about this case.
所以对我来说它有趣的地方
So, the reason that it's so interesting to me,
就是判决结果与实际量刑的出入问题
the... like, the difference between the conviction and the sentencing,
它表现了某种极端
is that it expresses the complete kind of craziness
迫使人们去思考一个
that this case drives people to in terms of trying to come up with,
到底米歇尔·卡特理应得到什么惩戒的问题
one objective conclusion of what should happen to Michelle Carter.
如果这份上诉拖延到2022年
If this appeal lingers to 2022,
是否她实际上就不用服刑
conceivably she will never serve time in jail?
是的
Conceivably, yes.
就好像你的确承担了责任
It's like you were responsible,
的确是过失杀人罪
it was involuntary manslaughter.
但你就可以不用蹲监狱
But you can basically never go to jail?
如果她真进监狱我反倒会惊讶
I would be surprised if she serves time.
我已经回顾了
I have reviewed
州联邦的提议
the Commonwealth's motion
也听了双方在本案上的不同见解
and have considered the arguments just presented to the court.
本法庭现在支持州联邦的提议
The court now allows the Commonwealth's motion
缓刑期至今天结束
to revoke the stay of sentence.
卡特女士将会被拘留
Miss Carter will now be taken into custody.
结案休庭
This matter is adjourned.
谢谢大家
Thank you very much.
全体起立
All rise.
电影精选列表