Yeah... still here in a kind of dreamlike world
还好 感觉像在做梦
I'm not too good at tennis under inebriation
晕乎乎的时候很难想象打网球
So Marcus, do you feel conscious now?
马库斯 你觉得自己清醒吗
Yes and no, erm...
不知道
At this stage now, he is quite impaired.
眼下他的意识相当薄弱
He's slow, he's slurred.
反应很慢 迷迷糊糊的
And, er...I would be very impressed
如果他能够长时间
if he could concentrate for long enough now
集中精神想象打网球
on imagining this game of tennis.
我会觉得很惊讶
We've done all the tests now under the sedation,
我们在镇静状态下完成了所有测试
so we are going to stop the infusion now, and...
现在将停止注射 然后
Still alive. Yippe!
我还活着 太棒了
Well done.
干得好
I’m not in a vegetative state as far as I feel
我感觉 自己没有变成植物人
Maybe I am...
有可能已经是了
No. No, no. Everything's...
不不不 一切都很好
Well done, Marcus.
做得好 马库斯
That was quite an ordeal.
这确实是个严酷的考验
Yes, that was hard work.
的确是项艰难的工作
It's much harder than maths!
比数学可难多了
Yes. Thank you very much.
是的 非常感谢
Look at that.
看这个
That's quite frightening.
看上去真吓人
That's extraordinary.
不可思议
I mean it's absolutely amazing that we can get inside here
能够深入内部 观察发生了什么
and see what's going on.
简直是太神奇了
There's my eyes, is that? Yeah.
那是我的眼睛 对吗 是的
So the information going back into my brain.
那么视觉信息进入了大脑
It was no surprise that I became less effective
当麻醉剂麻痹了大脑中
at imagining playing tennis
令人活跃的区域时
as the anaesthetic turned off the parts of my brain
想象打网球便让我感到困难
that usually switch me on.
这并不奇怪
But what was actually happening?
但实际上发生了什么
How was the function of my brain being affected?
我的大脑功能是如何受到影响的呢
The basal ganglia and the thalamus, these are areas thought to be
目前认为基底神经节和丘脑是
important for anaesthetic action.
麻醉作用中的重要部位
This kind of zone here.
就是像这种区域
All anaesthetic drugs work in different ways
各种麻醉剂的作用方式并不相同
on different parts of the brain,
在大脑中的作用区域也不同
but they all in common seem have some effect over there.
但是对这一块似乎都会产生些影响
Probably consciousness requires some interaction or...
或许意识形成需要一些交互作用
It's called a thalamocortical loop.
我们称之为丘脑环
So information transferred from the thalamus,
因此信息从丘脑中传递出来
like all incoming sensory input comes through the thalamus,
所有传入的感觉信息都经过丘脑
but there seems to be a kind of resonant loop
丘脑环则会同时产生反应
that's necessary for sustaining consciousness.
这对保持意识至关重要
So is that where "I" am?
这就是自我所在部位吗
When it knocks out me and sort of feels... or not?
让我感觉到自我 是不是
I'm not sure that is where you are.
我不确定这里是否存在自我
I don't think anybody knows.
这没人知道
The intangible thing inside me that the anaesthetic played with
我体内与麻醉剂作用的无形的部位
has another, much older name.
有着另一个更加古老的称呼
The soul.
灵魂
Perhaps the most famous thinker to tackle the question
或许关于灵魂与肉体关系
of the soul's relationship to the body
最著名的学说来自于
was Rene Descartes, the French philosopher
法国哲学家勒内·笛卡尔
who was buried here
1650年他被埋葬在
in the Adolf Friedrich church in Stockholm in 1650.
斯德哥尔摩的阿道夫·弗雷德里克大教堂
Descartes tried to explain how the soul could somehow exist within the body,
笛卡尔试图去解释灵魂为何存在于体内
yet remain separate from it.
而它却并非肉体
The idea that they exist side by side
灵魂与肉体共同存在的学说
remains central to Christian belief.
是基♥督♥信仰中至关重要的一部分
Although Descartes' remains were eventually returned to France,
虽然笛卡儿的遗体最后被送回了法国
this memorial statue acknowledges his legacy.
但这座纪念像承载了他所遗留下的智慧
For Descartes,
对笛卡儿而言
everything in the world was divided into two types of stuff.
世间万物被分为两种类型
There was the material world -
其中之一是物质的
physical stuff like the brain,
像大脑这种实质物体
which you could explain with physical laws.
可以用物理定律来解释
And then there was the mental stuff -
另一种则是精神性的
things like the mind,
诸如思维
and the defining characteristic of the mind for Descartes was thought.
在笛卡尔看来 思维的典型特征便是思考
So for Descartes, the mind was really separate from the brain.
因此对他来说 思维与大脑并不等同
And this is what gave rise to the thing we now call "dualism".
该学说引发了现在所谓的二元论
Descartes's dualism for body and soul
笛卡尔关于肉体与灵魂的二元论
is no longer exerts the same power as it did in his day.
其影响力已不如过去那样强大
But that's not to say that dualism has gone away.
但这不代表二元论会消失
It's just that today
只是今日
we talk about the separation of body and mind.
我们说的是肉体与思维的分离
This secular dualism between mind and body is popular
此二元论被广泛接受
perhaps because it feels, intuitively, to be correct.
或许是因为人们感觉它是对的
When I was younger I used to sing in a Church choir.
我小时候曾参加过教堂的唱诗班
I wasn't religious, I just liked the singing.
我并非信教 只是喜欢唱歌♥
There was a lot of talk about souls and spirits and things
有许多歌♥唱到精神与灵魂
and by the time I was 13,
当时我只有13岁
I realised the whole thing was pretty illogical.
就觉得这些事都太不合逻辑
I mean, I am just flesh and blood.
人明明是有血有肉的
But I still had a sense of "I".
但我依然能察觉到自我意识
And that's what's strange for me, as an atheist,
对我这个无神论者来说这很奇异
there is this strong feeling of "I"
我感觉这种强烈的自我意识
being different from my physical body.
与我的物质身体大相径庭
So what does science have to say about these feelings?
科学又是如何解释这些感觉的呢
Well, the reason I have come to Sweden is to meet a scientist
为此我前往瑞典拜访一位科学家
dedicated to tackling the problem of the "I" feeling head on.
他致力于查明自我意识的问题
He's gathering evidence that explains away
他正搜集能够解释
the feeling of a separation between the mind and body,
肉体与思维分离的证据
and proves that the brain is all.
并以此证明大脑就是一切
So I'm here at the Karolinska Institute
因此我来到卡罗林斯卡学院
where Dr Henrik Ericson claims that
在此工作的亨里克·艾瑞森博士声称
by tricking my brain he can make my mind do the impossible.
通过欺骗大脑 让我经历不可能之事
This is my body. I am pretty sure of that.
这是我的身体 我很确定
I can feel it, I can see it, I can move it.
我可以感觉它 看到它 移♥动♥它
It's my body that I use to experience the world around me.
这是我用来经历周遭世界的身体
My sense of smell, taste, feel...
我的嗅觉 味觉 知觉
It can't be any simpler than that, can it?
再直接不过了 对吧
So you'll see different images in the left and right eye.
你的双眼会看见不同图像
I'm being fitted with a headset that contains two tiny TV screens.
我头戴的眼罩包含两个小屏幕
Comfortable? Yes.
还舒服吗 是的
They show images from these two cameras, located behind me.
分别播放我身后两台摄像机的图像
Sit still. Can you see...?
坐好了 你能看得到吗
That's already rather strange.
那真的挺怪的
Can you see one or two yellow nodes there?
能看到一个或两个黄色的点呢
I see one yellow nodule.
我看到了一个黄点
'This is what I see in the goggles.
这是我在仪器里看到的
'Myself. Sitting in front of me.
我自己 坐在我面前
'But I have the illusion that
但我产生了错觉
"I" am three feet behind myself.'
感觉我坐在自己身后3英尺
Am I standing in front of you or behind you?
我现在站在你面前还是身后呢
You are standing in front of me.
你站在我面前
You are standing in front of me and...
你站在我面前 而且
you're holding in your hand a red pen...
手中拿着一支红笔
'To further mix up my sense of where my "I" is,
为了更好地混淆我的自我感觉
Henrik taps my chest,
亨里克轻轻敲打我的胸部
'while thrusting a different, red pen towards the cameras.'
同时用另一支红笔向摄象机方向戳
So I'm feeling prodding and I can see you prodding, well...
我感觉到也看到了你的动作
what feels like me...
感觉就是在刺我
To show how powerful this out of body experience could be,
为了展示这种灵魂出窍的经历多么强大
Henrik had another trick.
亨里克使用了另一个诡计
But you didn't hit me! Are you OK?
但你并没有打到我 你还好吗
Yeah. You were prodding my chest then you
是的 你先用笔轻戳我的胸部
电影精选列表