My name is Marcus du Sautoy.
我叫马科斯·杜·索托伊
I'm about to take part in a medical experiment,
我将要参加一项医学实验
one which is specifically designed to rob me of my faculties.
这项实验被特别设计来挖掘我的能力
Deep breath in.
深呼吸
Presumably this could kill me?
这个不会杀了我吧
The honest answer is yes.
老实说 会
I'm going to be taken to the edge of awareness...
我将被带入意识的边缘
..and on the way it's going to alter my sense of who I am.
在此过程中改变我对于自我的看法
I'm hoping to find out what makes me "me".
我希望知道是什么使我变成了我
It has the potential to knock out my whole conscious
我可能丧失所有意识
to the extent of killing me.
甚至危及生命
This is just one in a series of experiments
而这只是系列实验中的一项
in which I become a human guinea pig
我将作为一只实验小白鼠
and subject myself to a series of weird and wonderful tests.
亲身经历一系列神秘奇妙的实验
To explore something that appears so simple,
只为探究某些看似平淡无奇
yet is almost impossible to explain.
但又几乎无法解释的事情
Now before you do it, have you done it to yourself?
我先问一下 你在自己身上试验过吗
Along the way, I'll let scientists zap my grey matter with electricity.
实验中 科学家将电击我的大脑灰质
And I'll discover when we become aware of ourselves as individuals.
我会找出 人在何时意识到独♥立♥自我
The problems I confront will be fascinating,
实验结果将会令人十分震惊
and shocking in equal measure.
但也让人沉迷不已
Up to six seconds before you make up your mind,
早在你下定决心前的6秒钟
we can predict which decision you are going to make.
我们就能预知你究竟作了什么决定
Six seconds! Absolutely. Six seconds.
只有6秒吗 对 就6秒
What I am trying to understand
我试图了解的是
is how modern science is seeking to answer a question
现代科学究竟如何探索
that has fascinated humans for thousands of years.
这一引人类思索千年的问题
They call it "the search for consciousness".
他们称之为 探索意识之旅
I just call it the search for "me".
而我只是称之为 探索自我之旅
I'm a mathematician.
我是名数学家
It's a job that involves a fair amount of problem solving.
这是一个需要解决许多未知问题的工作
But I couldn't tell you where even my biggest ideas come from.
而我也无法得之自己的灵感来自哪里
20 years ago I was making the same journey
20年前我曾作过同样的旅行
that I am now, from Paddington to Oxford.
从帕丁顿一直到牛津大学
I was a PhD student at the time, doing my PhD in mathematics.
那时我正在攻读数学博士学位
It was before I had become a professional mathematician.
这是在我成为一名数学家之前的事
And what happened on that journey really changed my life.
而旅途的经历却真正改变了我的一生
I was really stuck on this thorny problem. I had been working on it
我当时被那些棘手的问题给缠住了
for months and I was just getting nowhere with it.
为此工作数月却毫无进展
And then suddenly this flash came into my head.
可突然之间我的脑海中灵光一闪
It was like a flash of electricity somehow.
不知为何就像电流通过一样
I suddenly saw how to crack this problem.
我突然间领悟到了解决方法
Everything became clear in that moment.
一瞬间所有的事情都一清二楚
It was such a rush of adrenalin.
意识到自己解决了
Realising I had cracked this problem that I'd been working on,
这一困扰许久的问题 实在让人激动不已
that ever since, I've just wanted to know
从那时起 我就一直想要知道
where do those ideas come from? I want more of them!
这些想法究竟从何而来 我需要更多
It somehow came from gazing out the window, thinking about nothing, I thought.
当时我只是无所事事地凝视窗外而已
I think I'm a pretty regular 43-year-old man.
我觉得自己只是一个普通的43岁男人
I work in Oxford, am married, have kids.
我在牛津大学工作 已婚 有孩子
But in my head there's a whole world that I can explore,
而在我脑海中却有无尽的世界供我探索
a private universe that is unique and personal.
这是每个人独有而私密的个人世界
In it, I can even travel in time,
在其中 我甚至可以时光旅行
through the memories that make my life,
经由我的记忆回到过去
or if I want, I can just appreciate the present.
如果我愿意 还可以乐在当下
But how is this inner world made?
但是这个内部世界是如何形成的呢
How does my brain turn colour into a private experience in my mind?
大脑如何把花花世界转变成个体经验呢
How do I experience the feeling of sun on my skin,
我如何感受阳光照射在身上的感觉呢
or for that matter, the sound of a voice?
或者说 如何分辨出不同的音色呢
These feelings are something we take for granted.
我们对这些感觉习以为常
So stop for a moment
不过等一下
and think about what you are aware of, right now.
想想你现在意识到了什么
How do you know you are aware of it?
如何知道自己意识到了呢
These sensations let me know I am alive, that I am me.
这些感觉让我知道我还活着 我还是我
Without them, everything would disappear.
没有感觉 一切都不复存在
Without them, I disappear.
没有感觉 我将不复存在
We don't have an equation that explains consciousness.
我们并不能列等式来解释知觉
But is there any way of measuring or testing
但是否有方法进行测量或实验
the elusive experience of our inner world?
内部世界中难以琢磨的感觉体验呢
Is there a way of gathering hard evidence
是否有办法收集到确凿的证据
that ultimately might allow us to explain what goes on in our heads?
来解释我们大脑中正发生的一切
I can't remember when I first became aware of being me.
我不记得何时开始真正意识到自我
But I watched it happen to my son.
但我在儿子身上找到了证明
He's 13 years old now, with his own inner world,
他现在13岁了 拥有自己的内部世界
one I will never be privy to.
而我永远都无法进入
But when did he become conscious of his own unique experiences?'
但他是何时意识到自己的独特体验的呢
You look really like a punk rocker there.
你看去真像个朋克摇滚乐手
Do you think this is you? Well...
你觉得这真的是你吗
You were a cutie.
你小时候真可爱
I mean, strange to think that this is the same person as
试想这个人就是现在的你
who you are now.
会不会很怪异
I think that was the Grand Canyon...
那个应该就是大峡谷
I've been to the Grand Canyon?
我去过大峡谷吗
You've been to the Grand Canyon!
你当然去过大峡谷
Actually, I do remember,
我记得很清楚
cos that was the first time I saw you ever frightened.
因为那是我第一次见你如此害怕
But I don't think until you were about 18 months or something.
我本以为要到一岁半时才会知道害怕
Then you really...
但当时你真的是
I think you were you suddenly then
你那时已有自我意识了
and that's when I really thought, "Oh, yeah!
我当时就想 太棒了
"I've got a little person to go around to the cinema with,
我可以带着自己的小孩去电影院
to the zoo, to the Science Museum."
去动物园和博物馆了
'So my initial thought is,
我最初的想法就是
when do we first become aware of ourselves?'
我们何时开始意识到自我的呢
To address that very question,
为解决这一问题
I've come to Portsmouth University
我来到朴次茅斯大学
to watch a well-established experiment
观察一个已确立的实验
known as the mirror self-recognition test.
即镜像自我认知测验
In charge is Professor Vasu Reddy.
瓦苏·雷迪教授是负责人
When we make sure the child has actually seen himself or herself
当我们确定孩子们真的看到了自己的镜像
in the mirror for at least a few seconds -
至少有几秒钟时间
made eye contact with itself -
与镜像有眼神接触之后
we get the mother to the side
便让母亲到孩子旁边
and basically I am going to ask her
我将要求孩子的母亲
to take a tissue and pretend to be wiping the child's nose
拿一张纸巾装作要擦拭孩子的鼻子
and while she is doing that,
与此同时
surreptitiously place one of these spots,
偷偷将这些污点放到孩子脸上
which is one way in which you can do this test, for example.
这是进行测验的方法之一
So this is going to be placed on the baby...
把这些放到孩子脸上
Just below the cheek there...
就在脸颊下方
But slightly to the front so you do actually see it.
但位置稍靠前 这样方便看到
First up is 16-month-old Owen and his dad Gavin.
首先是16月大的欧文和父亲加文
If Owen knows who he is, he should notice the mark
如果欧文知道他是谁 便能注意到记号♥
and know it is on his cheek.
知道记号♥是在自己脸上
Basically what we are looking for is
基本上我们一直在探索
when the child then finally
究竟何时孩子会
on his or her own wanders to the mirror,
真正意识到镜中的自己
catches sight of this, what we are looking for is clear evidence,
注意到污点 我们要找明显的证据
clear signs of seeing the face in the mirror
即通过镜子看见自己的脸
and immediately moving the hand to touch the mark.
然后马上用手去触摸那个记号♥
So it's wonderful. He's clearly looking at himself in the mirror,
太好了 他明显在看镜中的自己
but you wouldn't say he has a self... a sense of self-awareness.
但你并不能说他已经拥有了自我意识
Oh, I would say that he has not done what is required to
我得说 他还没有达到
pass this test of mirror self-recognition.
通过这项测试的要求
OK, that's interesting.
好的 这很有趣
Next it was the turn of Bethan.
接下来轮到贝珊了
This girl, how old is she?
这个小女孩多大了
She is 22 months. 22 months.
她有22个月大了 22个月
Once she had made eye contact,
在她与镜像有眼神接触后
her mum Lisa put the mark on her face as instructed.
妈妈莉莎按指示在她脸上放上记号♥
电影精选列表