what a person has written about themselves than what they look like.
写个人介绍挺花时间的
The profile takes quite a while,
它是你的卖♥♥点
it's what sells you,
所以你是不会想随便写写就算了的
so you don't want to scrimp and save on it.
我觉得你可以看出某人的性格
You can tell somebody's personality I think,
从他们行文的方式中
from the way that they write.
这东西挺让人伤脑筋的
And that can be quite nerve-racking in itself.
让自己与众不同 有辨识度
It's so important that you separate yourself
是非常重要的
and make yourself definable.
汉娜给了我提前访问
Hannah's given me early access
《地平线》在线交♥友♥网♥站的权限
to the Horizon dating website.
网站要求用户提供详细的个人介绍
It requires a detailed written profile,
但我要如何描述自己
but how should I describe myself
才能吸引到网上更多的人呢
to attract the most people online?
我去向哈立德·罕教授寻求帮助
I'm seeking help from Professor Khalid Khan.
用户名 哈立德·罕
年龄 50-55
职业 临床流行病学教授
婚姻状况 已婚
他分♥析♥了近四千篇科学论文
He analysed nearly 4,000 scientific papers
以找出优化在线交友个人介绍的最佳方案
to find the best method of optimising an online dating profile
并将结果发表在了权威医学杂♥志♥上
and published the results in a prestigious medical journal.
用户名 萨米尔·乔杜里
年龄 45-50
职业 医生
取向 男性找女性
他的朋友兼合著者 萨米尔·乔杜里
His friend and co-author Sameer Chaudry
就是第一个受益者
was the first to benefit.
之前 单身七年的他
Previously, seven years single,
在四个婚恋网站上进行了注册
he had registered with four different sites
并约会了上百次
and went on hundreds of dates.
然后他应用了罕的方法
And then he applied the Khan technique.
那你的结果如何呢
And so what outcome did you get?
仅约会了三次
Within three dates,
他就找到了一个伴侣
he was able to then find a partner
他们在一起到现在已经四年了
with whom he is still in partnership for the last four years.
这么神
Wow, OK.
我觉得这个对我会很有帮助
So, this all seems very good for me.
《地平线》建了一个实验性的在线交♥友♥网♥站
Horizon have built this online experimental dating site.
你能帮我一起填写资料吗
Can you help me fill it out?
-没问题 我们开始吧 -好的
- Sure. Let's have a go. - OK.
我们首先要做的是想一个用户名
The first thing we've got to do is choose a username.
大家都喊我赞德
Everyone calls me Xand.
所以赞德就像是 我也不知道
So, Xand seems like, I don't know,
我一般会用赞德VT这种名字
XandVT would be kind of what I'd go towards.
-选择用户名有什么技巧吗 -有的
- Do we have evidence about how to choose a username? - Yes.
我会建议你选择一个
I would propose that you consider something
距字母表开头更近的名字
that is closer to the top of the alphabet.
真的 选择A或者X
Really? Does that actually make a difference,
真的可以造成差异吗
whether or not it's an A or an X?
这其实与黄页效应很接近
It's more or less like the Yellow Pages effect,
距字母表开头更近的商人们
in that the traders listed at the top of the alphabet
会比在字母表末端的商人们
tend to receive more calls for their business
接到更多生意上的电♥话♥
than those at the bottom of the alphabet.
网站的下一项需要一份自我介绍
So, the next bit of the site says tell us a bit about yourself,
在250字内推销一下你自己
sell yourself in less than 250 words.
这对我来说就是噩梦
And this is my nightmare.
我觉得这是在线交♥友♥网♥站的一大门槛
I think this is one of the big barriers to online dating,
因为没人知道该写些什么
because no-one knows what to put.
你不想自卖♥♥自夸
You don't want to be boastful,
你需要谦虚 但是你又要推销自己
you want to be humble, but you need to sell yourself -
这就像是做事情不可能面面俱到
it's like this impossible balance of stuff.
所以 女性会这里看中些什么呢
So, what do women look for in this kind of thing?
其实重点一般就是
So, the important thing to understand is that, in general,
女性欣赏男性表现出勇气
women prefer that men demonstrate courageousness,
她们也欣赏能承担风险的能力
they prefer the ability to take risks
但她们不是很喜欢顺从和善良
and they don't particularly like submissiveness or kindness.
所以 只是一个好人
So, just being a nice guy
并不会让你成为最好的选择
is not necessarily the best pitch.
-真的 所以人善被人欺啊 -没错
- Really?! So, nice guys finish last, basically. - That is correct.
这也太打击人了吧 这就是我的问题所在
I mean, that's a bit depressing, isn't it? This is my problem.
我人太好了
I'm too nice!
这听起来也许很俗套
It sounds almost like a cliche,
但是哈里德基于其他科学研究的荟萃分♥析♥表明
but Khalid's meta-analysis of other scientific studies proves that
在互不相识的情况下
in the absence of familiarity,
女性比起无私更欣赏勇敢
women do prefer bravery over altruism.
所以我不应该标榜自己是人道主义者
So, I'm not trying to sell myself as a humanitarian,
那我说些什么会比较好
it's better to say, I don't know, what have I done?
比如说 我以前在战区工作过
Like, I've worked in war zones, you know.
所以我应该强调这个
I should emphasise that
而不是我救助饥饿的孩子
rather than saying I fed starving children.
是这样的
That's correct.
那叙事基调该如何 幽默感重要吗
And what about the tone of this? Is humour important?
幽默非常重要
Humour is important and
而且不通过这个词就能展现幽默更重要
it is also important to demonstrate humour without saying the words.
要幽默而不能说自己幽默 好的
Be funny, don't say you're funny. Yes. OK.
所以我要开始写了
So, I'm going to do this now
我会告诉你进展如何的
and I will let you know how I get on.
那我祝你能取得进展
I wish you very good luck in making progress.
-我希望你最终可以 -和萨米尔一样吗
- I hope your outcome will be... - As good as Sameer's?
对 和萨米尔一样
As good as Sameer's, yes.
赞德要赶快写个人资料了
Xand needs to hurry up and write his profile,
因为我们的网站即将对公众开放
because we're about to open the website to the public.
挑战是赞德自己选择一个姑娘
The challenge is Xand choosing a girl himself
对我的算法给他选择一个姑娘
versus my algorithm matching for him.
我认为在线交♥友♥网♥站可以把人配对
I think that online dating sites can match people.
我觉得这完全可行
I think it's totally possible.
我觉得从我们的角度来看
I guess from our perspective,
我们的配对很成功
we feel like we were matched really well.
98%到99%的配对率
98 to 99% match.
这就是数学 而数学让我们在一起
It's just maths. Maths got us together.
我们当然支持算法
We're definitely pro-algorithm!
就像商业网站一样
Just like commercial websites,
《地平线》算法通过大量的调查问卷
the Horizon algorithm takes inputs
取得输入参数
from an extensive questionnaire.
我们的网站基于三组输入参数
Now, our website is based on three inputs in total.
首先 它让你填一份调查问卷
First, it asks you a questionnaire
来了解你本人
to find out a little bit about you.
同时还会问你
It also asks you what type of things
你想在另一半身上找到哪些特质
you're looking for in your partner.
最重要的是第三点
And thirdly and most importantly,
它可以让你对潜在约会对象
it allows you to rate how important
这些特质的重要性打分
those characteristics are in a potential date.
最后一点尤其重要
Now, this last bit is particularly important,
因为你需要为自己的标准留一些余地
because you have to have room to set those criteria yourself,
而不是让计算机来为你设置
rather than have a computer set them for you.
我们的调查问卷有大约三百道题
Now, our questionnaire has almost 300 questions,
能够让我们充分了解
so it should give us a really rich understanding
注册人员的个性
of both the people that are signing up
以及他们是否适合赞德
and how good they'll be for Xand to date.
不过问题在于
But the problem is,
有很多人
is that ultimately a lot of people
在找到伴侣之前都不知道在寻找什么
just don't really know what they want until they find it
我有点担心 这就是赞德的问题所在
and I'm slightly concerned that that might be Xand's problem.
也许不知道自己在寻找什么
Maybe not knowing what I should be looking for
一直是我的问题
has always been my problem.
我约会过无数次
I've been on loads of dates
不过距离找到灵魂伴侣还相距甚远
but I'm still no closer to finding a soulmate.
我正在帝国大厦楼顶
I'm on top of the Empire State Building.
这里本应是
Now, this is meant to be
世界上最浪漫的地点之一
one of the most romantic locations in the world.
金刚为了寻找爱人葬身于此
King Kong met his end here looking for love.
汤姆·汉克斯运气好点[《西雅图夜未眠》]
Tom Hanks did a little better.
我们知道在纽约每时每刻
We know that a New York minute
都有无数人共赴巫山
电影精选列表