祈求主 赐予我们现世
Please, Lord, grant us good in the world...
与来世的美好
and good in the hereafter
将我们从地狱之火中救赎
and save us from the hellfire.
阿门
Amen.
哈拉
哈拉 你错过了晨礼
Hala! You missed fajr.
你还在弄什么
What are you still doing?
你现在每天都不做早祷了吗
Are you going to skip morning prayers every day now?
怎么了 她睡过了
What's wrong? She slept in.
在我们家不允许
Not in this house.
4个字母 用来赞美的诗歌♥
Four letters. Poems of praise.
-Hymn[赞美诗]
-Hymn.
H-Y-M-N
H-Y-M-N.
10个字母 有助于成功
Ten letters. Conducive to success.
让她先吃饭
Let her eat.
-Auspicious[吉利的] -吉利的
- Auspicious. - Auspicious.
我跟你说了什么
What did I tell you?
她遗传了我的聪明才智
She gets her smarts from me.
可不是
Of course.
你那愚蠢的填字游戏会害她会迟到的
She'll be late because of your silly crossword.
这才不愚蠢
It's not silly.
你是不是已经错过公交了
Didn't you already miss the bus?
是
Yeah.
我说过让你别买♥♥滑板
I told you not to get that skateboard.
她滑滑板不戴头盔 万一发生意外呢
She's skating without a helmet. What if something happens?
随她吧 她又没有犯法
Let her live. She's not breaking any laws.
只要她不跟男生在一起 就没事
As long as she's not spending time with boys, she's okay.
放学后要我来接你吗
Am I picking you up after school?
不用
I'm good.
大家请坐 把写作日记拿出来
Everyone to their seats, please. Writing journals out.
"她最害怕的不是那些话语
"What she feared most wasn't the words--
伤人 刻薄 还有尖锐的话语
hurtful words, mean ones, or the ones that could cut.
不 这些她都能承受
No, she could manage that.
她无法承受的是字里行间的留白
What she couldn't manage were the spaces between the words,
沉默
the silence,
评头论足和潜台词
the judgment, and the subtext,
那些没说出口的话
what was left unsaid.
她惧怕那无法触及 无法看到的世界
She feared the inaccessible, invisible world
那些几乎 本该 马上 应该说出口
of the almost-said, should've-said, would've-said, could've-said,
但没有说出的话语
but didn't.
她惧怕未知的可怖深渊
She feared the terrifying abyss of the unknown,
她能感受到一种无形又黑暗的东西
a shapeless, dark thing that she could sense
就潜藏在一句话的结尾或是开头
in a quiet, uncomfortable pause at the end of a sentence...
静默而不安的沉默中
or right before the beginning of a new one.
在寂静与黑暗中
It was in the quiet, in the dark,
在独处时
in the moments alone,
她最能看清自己"
that she could see herself most clearly."
拜尔先生 有什么要说的吗
Is there something you want to say, Mr. Byer?
写得好 哈拉
Well done, Hala.
在这周剩下时间里
You know, everyone will be reading from their journals
每个人都要读日记
for the rest of the week,
所以最好做好准备
so I'd be prepared for that.
不会按照字母顺序读日记
Order's not gonna be alphabetical.
今天的作业
So for homework...
写一篇日记
journal entry...
主题是这个
on this.
视角
你的视角是什么 有什么意义
What's yours? What does it mean?
我们为什么要在乎
Why should we care?
下课吧
Out of my classroom!
好吧 大问题是
Okay, the big question is,
我们毕业后那个暑假该怎么过
how do we spend our summer after we graduate?
三个月不用碰书
Not touch a book for three months.
我决定要染头发
I've decided I'm dyeing my hair,
要纹个纹身 还要打个鼻洞
I'm gonna get a tattoo, I'm gonna pierce my nose.
你妈妈不会让你这么做的
Your mom's never gonna let you.
我18岁了 他们管不了我了
I'm 18. They can't say anything.
而且我要搬出去了
Plus, I'm moving out.
我真的很喜欢你妈妈
I actually like your mom.
她也喜欢你
Well, she likes you too
因为你成绩好 让我难堪
cause you get good grades and make me look bad.
不 我没有
No, I don't.
今年夏天你要教我怎么玩滑板
This summer you're teaching me how to skateboard.
只要你来教我开车
If you teach me how to drive.
成交
Done.
来吧 姑娘们 跑快点
Come on, ladies, let's go!
快点 跑啊 加油 姑娘们
Hustle! Let's go! Come on, ladies!
愿安♥拉♥的和平 仁慈和祝福降临于你
May the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be upon you.
小心 还是烫的
Careful, it's still hot.
我都说了
I told you.
把手♥机♥收起来 你为什么不吃饭
Put the phone away. Why won't you eat?
怎么了
What's wrong?
我们公♥司♥不想上庭
Our firm doesn't want a trial
但对我们也可能会是一次大胜利
but it could be a big win for us.
我别无选择
I don't have a choice.
你总是有选择的
You always have a choice.
尽人事 听天命
Everything else, in Allah's hands.
好吧 你是对的
Okay. You are right.
哈拉 学校怎么样
Hala, how was school?
挺好的 还是老样子
Good. The same, you know.
你总是和你♥爸♥爸说话
You're always talking with your dad.
但和我在一起 你就一句话也不说
But with me, you go completely quiet.
我什么时候这样了
When have I done that?
你的态度完全不一样
Your attitude totally changes.
不 才没有
No, it doesn't.
-明白我的意思吗 -你为什么为难她
- See what I mean - Why are you picking on her?
-别为难她了 -好
- Leave her alone. - Fine.
你最近在读什么书
So, what have you been reading?
我们刚刚读完了《局外人》
We just finished The Stranger.
法国加缪创作的中篇小说 存在主义文学的代表作品
现在我们在读《玩偶之家》
And now we're reading A Doll's House.
揭露男权社会与妇女解放之间的矛盾冲突
被称为首个真正的女性主义剧本
亨里克·易卜生的剧作
The play by Henrik Ibsen.
挪威戏剧家
你会读《战争与和平》吗
Do you get to read War and Peace?
以1812年的俄♥国♥卫国战争为中心 展示了当时俄♥国♥社会的风貌
我们大学里讲了一整节课
We had an entire class on that one in college.
要的 下学期学
Yeah, next semester.
那本书里的真实人生体验
There's more real human experience in that one book
比你读过的任何书都多
than anything else you will ever read.
我会转告托尔斯泰的
I'll tell Tolstoy you said that.
俄♥国♥作家 《战争与和平》作者
好了 饭都要凉了
Okay, the food's getting cold.
在最近的一次民调中 当被问及移♥民♥是否
In a recent poll, when asked whether immigrants
是美国身份认同的重要组成部分
were an important part of American identity,
75%的人表示同意
75% said yes.
我觉得你应该多理解一下你妈妈
I think you need to be a little more understanding about Mom.
她过度保护我了
She's overprotective.
你还想怎样 她是你妈妈 那是她的责任
What do you expect? She's your mom. That's her job.
她一直这样吗
Has she always been this way?
她这样是因为你
She is this way because of you.
我第一次见到你妈妈的时候
You know, when I first met your mom
她脑子里满是主意
her head was full of ideas.
她很有冒险精神
She had a real adventurous spirit.
几年前我父母在卡拉奇
When my parents were looking for someone for me
给我相亲的时候
in Karachi years ago,
他们想找一个忠诚可靠的人
they wanted someone who was loyal and trustworthy.
所以我们就找到了你妈妈
And that's how we found your mom.
她也有过精彩的人生
She had a whole life
在她遇见我之前 在她怀你之前
before she met me, before she had you.
所以是你父母选择了我的妈妈
So your parents chose Mom?
在那里就是这样
That's how it happened there.
你爱她吗
Do you love her?