并不是那种... 出轨的感觉
It wasn't like...being unfaithful.
也算不上爱情
It wasn't love.
-你就不能拒绝吗 -那她会怎么想
- And you couldn't say no? - What would she have thought?
那你就没戏了呗
Oh, it would have been over, wouldn't it?
东西和钱就都没指望了
No more money. No more presents.
-你说话跟警♥察♥似的 -是跟检察官一样
- You sound like the police. - I sound like the prosecution.
他们肯定会这么说你的
Because that's what they're going to say.
说你玩得游刃有余 乐在其中
That, er, you were doing very nicely out of it.
所以你才不会把罗曼的事告诉弗伦奇夫人
That's why you didn't tell Mrs French about Romaine,
因为一旦说了 就全完了
because that would have been an end to it.
桃色人生没戏了 当小白脸吃软饭的日子
End of your peachy life as a kept man,
也就到头了
as a ponce, a leech.
她像喂狗一样喂我吃东西
She made me eat out of her hand - like a dog.
什么桃色人生
My peachy life?
只不过工作糊口罢了
It was work, is what it was.
那你干嘛还老去呢
So why did you keep going back?
珍妮特
Janet.
那位麦金泰尔女士
Miss McIntyre.
她一直跟我说 艾米莉早晚会玩儿腻的
She kept telling me that Emily would get bored,
到时就会甩了我
chuck me over,
我就一直等那天到来 这对大家都好
and I kept waiting for that to happen, the easy way out.
谁也不会难受
No-one getting upset.
如果我们能和平分手
If Emily wasn't upset and we parted friends
没准儿她能推荐我去当个司机呢
then maybe she'd recommend me as a chauffeur
至少也是份汽车相关的工作吧
or working with cars or something.
谁知她一直没有甩我的意思 我也就只能继续
But she never did chuck me over, so it just went on.
-你跟麦金泰尔女士合得来吗 -她受不了我
- Did you get on with Miss McIntyre? - She couldn't stand me.
-为什么 -因为我不过凡夫俗子 梅休先生
- Why? - Because I'm common, Mr Mayhew.
你为什么把那衣服烧了
Why did you burn the shirt?
那衣服已经破了
It was ripped.
没法再补了
It couldn't be mended.
我就把它扔火里了 根本没多想
I put it in the fire - I didn't think twice about it.
你是怎么跟罗曼解释
What did you tell Romaine about the money -
那些钱和新衣服的来由的
where the money was coming from, the new clothes?
我告诉她 我找了份卖♥♥地毯除尘器的工作
I told her I got a job selling electric carpet sweepers.
得时不时出差
That I'd have to be away sometimes.
你撒谎了
So you lied.
我好久没份像样的工作了
I hadn't really worked.
我很没耐性 对什么工作都三分钟热情
Not steady. I couldn't settle to anything.
服役时是如此 退伍之后也无改观
Not since service. Not since it all being over and coming home.
所有开支都是罗曼在承担
Romaine was paying for everything,
所以看到我那么"努力工作" 她很骄傲
so she was proud of me for doing so well with my job.
我也喜欢她为我自豪
And I liked her being proud of me.
天呐 我到底对她做了什么
God, what have I done to her?
我怎么补偿的了她
How am I going to make it up to her?
我一直在想...
All I kept thinking was...
这事操作好 就可以当司机了
play this right and you'll get a job driving cars.
我在军队学过发动机之类的 我很擅长这些
I learned engines in the Army. I'm good with them.
那就是我想要的
That's all I wanted.
我儿子喜欢机械
My boy loved engines.
特别痴迷
Mad about them.
像你一样 他也是在军队里学的
Army taught him - like you.
但他没能回来
He didn't come home.
在他17岁生日前夜去世了
Gone on the eve of his 17th birthday.
煤气中毒
Gas.
我们都以为会得到更多 不是吗
We thought we'd get more, didn't we?
以为我们都会凯♥旋♥归来
Thought we'd all come home heroes.
住在蔷薇环绕门庭的房♥子里
Live in a house with roses round the door.
一日三餐 丰盛至极
Three meals a day with extra gravy.
工作任挑
Any job you want.
赚到盆满钵盈
Money falling out of your pockets.
哪知却沦落到像猪肉一样被标价...
End up getting priced like a side of meat...
...还要随之偿债
...And going along with it to pay the rent.
我从未伤及艾米莉
I never hurt Emily.
我也发誓 对那份遗嘱我一无所知
And I swear I didn't know anything about the will.
我相信你 莱纳德
I believe you, Leonard.
我相信你
I believe you.
年轻的沃尔先生必须得像种马那样被吊起来
Young Mr Vole must be hung like a Clydesdale stallion.
我一直惊讶于为何女士们会为了
Never fails to amaze me how the ladies can utterly
一个仅有点小聪明的男人
lose their damn minds if a man is even semi-adroit
而完全丧失理智
in the fucking department.
那个女仆讨厌他 也可能是忌妒
The maid loathes him. Jealous, probably.
就是那个珍妮特·麦金泰尔 有些不太对
Well there's something about Janet McIntyre. Something not right.
她对弗伦奇夫人有很强的占有欲
She's very possessive about Mrs French.
"我的夫人" 她一直在说
"My lady," She kept saying.
"她是我的"
"She's mine."
仆人们都这么说 "我的夫人" "我的先生"
That's how servants speak. "My lady", "My gentleman."
我还从没见过
I never knew a valet or a
没有疯狂占有欲的贴身女仆或男仆
lady's maid who wasn't rabidly possessive.
不过这到能影响她的证词
But it could undermine her testimony.
我从不喜欢乱了阵脚的仆人
I'm never too keen on wrong-footing servants.
那让我们看起来像欺凌者
It makes us look like bullies.
若这并非已然无望
And if this wasn't already pretty bloody hopeless,
辨方唯一证人是来自维也纳的女演员
the sole witness for the defence is an actress from Vienna.
罗曼·海格尔不是你想的那样
Romaine Heilger is not what you'd expect.
法庭听到"女演员" 他们会想到"妓♥女♥"
When the court hears "Actress", they'll think "Whore".
他们听到"维也纳"时...
When they hear "Vienna"...
我们都知道他们会想什么
Well, we all know what they'll think then.
海格尔女士会是令人印象深刻的证人
Miss Heilger will make an impressive witness.
她很朴素
She's restrained.
沉着而端庄
Composed. Dignified.
凡事有先例
Well, there's a first.
她所演的歌♥舞剧...
And this revue she's in...
怎样的来着 淫言狎语 春光尽露
What is it, all sauce and thighs and squealing?
其实是很老式的
It's quite old-fashioned, actually.
歌♥与舞
Songs. Dances.
很有趣的剧
Amusing sketches.
你会让你妻子看吗
Would you let your wife see it?
会的
Yes.
你这病就不能治一下吗
Isn't there something you
很烦人的
can take for that? It's rather annoying.
很抱歉 查尔斯爵士
I do apologise, Sir Charles.
煤气泄漏导致的损伤
Gas damage - there's...
没办法治愈
nothing to be done about it.
这样啊
I see.
无所谓了
Well, never mind.
这案子我不接 梅休
This isn't for me, Mayhew.
弗伦奇夫人的财产 包括现金十八万五千英镑
Mrs French's estate includes a cash balance of £185,000,
荷兰公园的一栋住房♥
a townhouse in Holland Park,
皮草 珠宝 艺术品 古董
furs, jewellery, art, antiques,
一辆希斯帕罗-苏扎车
a Hispano-Suiza motorcar,
及股票与证券 此外还有缝纫机
and stocks and shares in, amongst other things, sewing machines,
电♥话♥以及矿区
telephones and mining.
伯尼 把它拿开
Bernie! Oh, put it away!
♪ 唤你一声甜心 ♪
♪ Let me call you sweetheart ♪
♪ 我深爱着你 ♪
♪ I'm in love with you ♪
♪ 愿你轻声回应 ♪
♪ Let me hear you whisper ♪
♪ 你也深爱着我 ♪
♪ That you love me, too ♪
♪ 爱之光永恒炽热 ♪
♪ Keep the love light glowing ♪
♪ 你眼中真挚如炬 ♪
♪ In your eyes so true ♪
♪ 唤你一声甜心 ♪
♪ Let me call you sweetheart ♪
♪ 我深爱着 ♪
♪ I'm in love with ♪
♪ 你 ♪
♪ You. ♪
你喜欢吗
Do you like it?
街上人们都在议论你 关于你的案子
People in the street are talking about you, about your case.
我走进商店时
In the shop, when I go in.
他们都给我指向
They're all pointing bits out to me
有你名字的地方
where your name's been written.
他们都想知道是不是他干的
They all want to know if he did it.
告诉他们不是
Tell them no.