Louisa's dance had an unexpected sequel.
路易莎的舞会有个意外的后续
I don't know why you'd want to marry someone so old.
我不明白你为什么想嫁给那么老的一个人
Louisa, half his hair has slipped off his head,
路易莎 他头都秃了一半了
like an eiderdown off the bed!
像滑下床半截的鸭绒被一样
He's only 45. And you're 18!
他才45岁 你才18岁
If he was a dog, you'd have to put him down.
如果他是条狗 都到安乐死的年纪了
I'm happy for the first time in my life!
这是我人生第一次感到快乐
I'm getting out...for ever.
我要离开这里了... 永远
And you're going to be stuck here, Linda,
而你会继续被困在这里 琳达
hunting and walking the dogs with Fa.
跟爸爸一起打猎 遛狗
That's what comes of being the favourite.
这就是作为爸爸最喜欢的女儿的代价
Shut up! Don't you think you're a bit too old
闭嘴 你不觉得自己已经过了
to be sitting in a cupboard? No, not really.
坐在衣柜里的年纪了吗 不觉得
I'm not having any bridesmaids, by the way,
顺便说一下 我不打算要伴娘
so don't worry about your dresses.
所以不用担心穿什么裙子了
What?
什么
I'm not going to be upstaged
我可不想在我婚礼那天被抢风头
on my wedding day, thank you very much!
感谢您的理解
Ohh! You're not having any bridesmaids?
你竟然不要伴娘
No. You can't think how stupid you're going to look from behind!
不要 你无法想象自己从后面看起来会有多蠢
Linda was really very jealous.
琳达真的非常嫉妒
Shall we go, then, Papa? Yes, let's go.
可以走了吗 爸爸 好 我们走
She looks like the eldest and ugliest of the Bronte sisters.
她看起来像勃朗特姐妹里最老最丑的那个
At that moment,
那一刻
I think Linda would have gladly changed places with Louisa,
我觉得琳达十分愿意跟路易莎调换位置
even at the very heavy cost
即便要承受
of living happily ever after with John Fort William.
跟约翰·福特·威廉共度余生的沉重代价
I want to die!
我想去死
Unless life begins absolutely right now, I want to die!
除非生活从现在开始就出现转机 不然我想死
Push me, will you?
推我一把 求你了
Can you please...? Can you get down, Linda, it's really high.
你能... 你能下来吗 琳达 这里真的很高
If only it weren't such a difficult thing to do.
要是死不这么难就好了
It's hard enough to kill a rabbit, let alone oneself.
杀只兔子就够难的了 更别提自杀了
It's that hog Merlin!
梅林那头猪
I won't have my home filled with Merlin's dago friends!
我不会再让梅林的那帮南欧佬朋友进我家了
I hear he has Frogs there too!
我听说他那儿还有法国佬
I won't have Frogs or dagos under any circumstances!
我绝不会让法国佬或南欧佬进我家门
Hello, Merlin.
你好 梅林
Oh, lunch would be lovely.
能共进午餐自然是极好的
What sort of birds are they?
这是什么鸟
Just ordinary pigeons.
就是普通的鸽子
Where do you get them that colour?
你从哪里弄到那种颜色的鸽子的
I dye them. Every year.
自己染的 每年都染
Dry them in the linen cupboard.
染完了放进亚麻衣柜里擦干
Isn't that frightfully cruel? Oh, no, they love it.
不会太残忍♥了吗 不 它们很喜欢
They love it. It makes them so pretty for each other.
它们很喜欢 这样彼此都更漂亮了
What about their poor little eyes?
它们可怜的小眼睛怎么办
Oh, they soon learn to shut them.
它们很快就学会闭眼了
I see you're taken with my silly old Romantic Antoine Watteaus.
看出来你很喜欢安托万·华多那张傻了吧唧的浪漫派旧画
Love isn't silly.
爱情不傻
Linda! It's my religion.
琳达 爱是我的信仰
Is it really?
是吗
That's all she can think about. It's really rather alarming.
她满脑子都是爱 真叫人担心
Gertie, leave her alone. I'm so sorry.
格蒂 别停那儿 真是抱歉
No, um... I try to tell the girls
没关系 我试图教导姑娘们
that they've got to consider practicalities.
她们必须得考虑生活实际
They've got to write down
她们得盘算
how they'd run a household on £200 a year.
怎样用两百镑支配全家一年的开销
Linda always just puts "£199 - flowers".
而琳达盘算的永远都是"199镑 买♥♥花"
What lessons are you doing?
你在上哪些课
None at all.
我不上课
Pa thinks that girls get fat thighs from playing hockey
爸觉得女孩子要是去上学
if they go to school, but not that Fanny has fat thighs.
打曲棍球大腿会变粗 但范妮的除外
Hers are perfect.
她的大腿很完美的
No, no, no, no, no. Linda...
不不不 琳达...
You need...
你需要...
..Educating.
...接受教育
Yeah, that's what I said,
对 我也是这么跟她说的
but she doesn't listen to me.
但她不听我的
You have an intensely romantic character.
你的性格浪漫至极
I see trouble ahead.
我能预见你前路坎坷
I urge upon you the necessity
拥有知识背景
for an intellectual background, Linda.
对你来说很有必要 琳达
Although I fear...
虽然我也怕...
..It may already be too late.
...现在开始是不是已经太迟了
Come on, then.
走吧
For a while, Linda followed his advice, finding comfort in books
琳达一度接受了他的建议 从书中
and things other than the desperate pursuit of love,
以及对爱情的绝望追求以外的事中寻找慰藉
But finally, inevitably,
但最终 不可避免地
the minutes turned to hours, the hours to weeks,
日月如梭 光阴似箭
the weeks to months,
时光流转
and the impossible happened.
曾遥不可及的事终于发生了
We'd attained the great golden goal of every childhood.
我们终于抵达了童年道路尽头的终极目标
We'd grown up.
长大成人
Would you like to dance?
想跳舞吗
Yes, I would.
当然了
Tony Kroesig - in his last year at Oxford,
托尼·科洛西格 这是他在牛津大学的最后一年
A splendid young man with plenty of beautiful horses
一个有着数不清的骏马
and exquisite clothes,
和华服的青年才俊
he had already a strong air of pomposity,
他身上那股浓浓的浮夸之气
a thing which Linda had never come across before...
是琳达从未见识过的...
It's awfully muddy where you live.
你家这儿真是相当泥泞
I hope your chauffeur knows how to park a Rolls-Royce!
希望你们家司机知道怎么停劳斯莱斯
Yes.
当然
..And which she found not unattractive.
...而这种气质并不令她讨厌
Who's that sewer with Linda?
跟琳达跳舞那个垃圾男是谁
Kroesig. Governor of the Bank of England - his son.
科洛西格 英格兰银行行长的儿子
Kroesig?!
科洛西格
Good God!
好家伙
Never expected to be harbouring a full-blooded Hun in the house!
从没想到我宅子里会来一个血统纯正的德国蛮夷
Matthew, dear, don't get excited. The Kroesigs aren't Huns.
马修 亲爱的 别激动 科洛西格家族可不是什么德国蛮夷
They're a highly respected family of bankers.
他们是受人尊敬的银行家世家
They've been over here for generations.
世世代代生活在这里
Once a Hun, always a Hun.
一日为蛮夷 终生为蛮夷
Good God!
我的天呐
Does he know I still have an entrenching tool
他知不知道我还留着
I used to whack eight of his countrymen to death?
当年锤死他八个同胞用的铁锤呢
I don't suppose he does.
想必他不知道
I always said Merlin would bring foreigners here eventually.
我总说梅林终有一天会把老外带进来
I never thought he'd land us with an actual German!
万万没想到他居然带来了一个活生生的德国佬
Oh, no, look! The poor rabbit!
不 看啊 可怜的小兔子
This was the one romantic gesture of Tony's life.
这是托尼一生中仅有的浪漫行为了
Tony went back to Oxford,
托尼回牛津去了
and Linda sat about waiting for the telephone bell.
而琳达就坐在电♥话♥边苦等他的来电
If this comes out...
如果是这张牌...
..He'll ring tomorrow.
...他明天就会给我打电♥话♥
If this comes out...
如果是这张牌...
..He'll be at the meet.
...他就会和我见面
If this comes out...
如果是这张牌...
..He's thinking of me at this very minute.
...他这一刻就在想我
Hello.
你好
Hello. Is that Linda?
你好 是琳达吗
It's Tony Kroesig here.
我是托尼·克洛西格
Hello, Tony.
你好 托尼
Listen, will you come to lunch?
听着 你要来共进午餐吗
Christchurch, next Thursday, one o'clock?
下周四下午一点 在基♥督♥城
Oh, but...Fa doesn't let us alone with young men unchaperoned.
但... 爸不让我们在没有陪同的情况下跟年轻男士单独相处
He doesn't really let us out, full stop.
他基本不让我们出门 没戏了
Really?
真的吗
You seem too old for that sort of restriction.
你似乎已经过了受这种限制的年纪了吧