She knew what the risks were...and she did it anyway.
她知道风险是什么... 但她还是这么做了。
Not merely on her behalf,she did it on behalf of other mothers,
她这样做,不仅是为了她自己,也是为了其他母亲,
on behalf of their children.
为了她们的孩子。
I fought for a departmental trial.
我争取到了一场,针对警♥察♥部门的审判。
One officer fired,which there should have been at least six officers fired.
一名警♥察♥被解雇了,至少应该有六名警♥察♥被解雇。
(格温.凯尔,埃里克.加纳的母亲)
The idea that your child can be killed by the State,
一想到,你的孩子可能会被国家机器杀害,
(塔米卡 D.莫洛蕾,“直到自♥由♥运♥动♥”联合发起人)
and there be no justice,is enough to make someone lose their mind.
根本没有正义,就足以让人失去理智。
Justice would be when all of those officers stand accountable for my son's death.
当所有的警♥察♥都,要为我儿子的死负责时,才是正义。
Then, at least, it would be closure 'cause there is no justice for Eric,because Eric is dead.
那么,至少,这将是一个了结,因为埃里克没有得到正义,因为埃里克已经死了。
And the fact that these mothers continue to work and go about life,
事实上,这些母亲继续工作,继续生活,
and try to encourage other people,
并试图鼓励其他人,
that's some powerful shit.
这帮人,就是一群强大的混♥蛋♥。
[dramatic music]
[剧情音乐]
[haunting music]
[悬疑音乐]
1987年 阿♥拉♥巴马州 莫比尔
民事审判
距离迈克尔.唐纳德的私刑案,已经过去6年了。
1987年,民事审判的录音。
声音来自:莫里斯.迪斯
我们向你们索要,一笔惩罚性损赔偿金。
法官会告诉你们这笔惩罚性赔偿金都有哪些损害,
这不像伤了一条腿的赔偿。
唐纳德夫人从未在她的儿子的死亡中,得到赔偿。
所以,这将是惩罚性的损害赔偿。
The trial, it was the Klan in there,the benefactors sit on one side,
审判的时候,有三k党在那里,赞助人坐在一边,
and then my mom and her supporters sit on the other side,
我妈妈和她的支持者坐在另一边,
and then some days, it was so full you couldn't get in there.
然后有几天,那里坐得太满了,你都挤不进去。
When you looked at-- in Ms. Donald's eyes,
当你看着唐纳德夫人的眼睛时,
oh, it ju-- it would break my heart every time I talked to her,
噢,每次...每次我跟她说话,都会心碎,
because I knew that her son had been murdered and here she was, having to go through this trial,
因为我知道她儿子被谋杀了,而她在这里,不得不经历这场审判,
(丹尼.韦尔奇,前南方穷♥人♥法律援助中心首席三K党调查员)
which had to be hard on her, but you would never know it.
这对她来说一定很艰难,但你永远不会知道。
I mean, she was so solid.
我是说,她是那么坚定。
If they could stand to see Michael,I could stand to see their faces.
如果他们能忍♥受看到迈克尔,我也能忍♥受看到他们的脸。
(声音来自:比尤拉.梅.唐纳德,迈克尔唐纳德的母亲)
People were just surprised of the courage that we had,not knowing
人们只是惊讶于我们的勇气,却不知道,
that sometimes we had to cry at night,'cause we didn't know.
有时我们不得不在晚上哭泣,因为我们茫然未知。
And we had to moan sometimes, 'cause we didn't know.
有时我们不得不呻♥吟♥,因为我们茫然未知。
(塞西莉亚.佩里,迈克尔.唐纳德的姐姐)
But when we walked out,we presented ourself as a family.
但当我们走出去的时候,我们表现得像一家人。
In most prior cases of when hate people were involved in it,they indict the hate people,
在以前的大多数案件中,当可恶之人参与其中时,他们会起诉可恶之人,
but not the leaders of the group,unless they could prove
但不会起诉该组织的领导人,除非他们能证明,
that the leaders had a plan to commit violent acts.
这些领导人,有实施暴♥力♥行为的计划。
(莫里斯.迪斯,南方穷♥人♥法律援助中心共同创始人)
And that's not easily said, nor done.
这说起来不容易,做起来也不容易。
So for this trial, I had to show that
所以在这次审判中,我必须证明,
the United Klan had a history of carrying out its white supremacy acts with violence.
三k党有使用暴♥力♥,实施“白人至上主义”的历史。
声音来自莫里斯.迪斯:你们今天听到的证据,以及明天和以后听到的,
我都相信,这是在法庭第一次听见的。
We started by the things that the Klan had done
我们从三k党所做的事情,
and that Robert Shelton, the leader, had been behind.
和他们的“领袖”罗伯特·谢尔顿,在幕后所作的事情开始。
声音来自莫里斯.迪斯:很幸运,我有这些证据能让你们确信,
这个全国性的组织不仅支持了
这种种族主义信条,他们实际上,
实际上,
还支持了他的党徒们去杀害黑人,并对黑人处以私刑。
After we filed the civil suit,I got a letter in the mail from Bennie Hays.
我们提起民事诉讼后,我收到了本尼·海耶斯寄来的一封信。
(本尼.杰克.海耶斯,全美三K党联盟阿♥拉♥巴马党支部,级别“大巨人”)
He sent me a copy of the charter,
他给了我一份他们党♥章♥的副本,
given by Shelton to the Unit 900 in Mobile.
是谢尔顿交给莫比尔党徒的《900戒律》。
He said, "I want you to have this,and if you would come down to Mobile, to my house,
他说:“我想把这个给你,如果你能来莫比尔,到我家来,
I can give you some documentation that will help me in the civil suit."
我可以给你一些文件,这对我的民事诉讼有帮助。”
I stuck my Beretta 357 in my hip pocket and off I went to Mobile.
我揣着一把贝雷塔357型手♥枪♥,直奔莫比尔。
And there sat a box of documents,and I had a chance to look at them.
那里有一箱文件,我趁机扫了一眼。
And that was the 50-page Constitution of the United Klans of America.
这就是长达50页的美国三k党党纲。
[haunting music]
[悬疑的音乐]
Documents that you don't get to see unless you're in the Klan.
除非你是三k党,否则你是看不到这些文件的。
So I said, "I'd like to take these with me."
所以我说:“我想把这些带走。”
He said, "No. I want you to get my son off death row."
他说:“不行。我要你把我儿子,从死囚区弄出来"
I said, "Well, a jury put him on death row, a judge did,
我说:“陪审团把他判了死刑,是法官判的,
and I can't do anything about that.But don't you destroy these documents."
我对此无能为力。但你不要毁了这些文件。”
So I walked out of there with nothing.
所以我两手空空地走了出来。
In about a week or two, Bennie Hays was arrested and put into Mobile County jail.
大约一两个星期后,本尼·海耶斯被捕,并被关进莫比尔县监狱。
He had burned his house down to get money
他烧了自己的房♥子,为了骗取保险赔偿金,
to hire a lawyer to represent his son and he'd been indicted for that.
请律师为儿子辩护,他因此被起诉。
We were able to establish it was, in fact, arson,
我们确定这是纵火,
so our office prosecuted him under the mail fraud charge.
所以我们检察官办公室,以邮件欺诈的罪名,起诉了他。
(杰夫.塞申斯,1981年-1993年任联邦总检察署阿♥拉♥巴马州南区总检查官)
The judge gave him five years.
法官判了他五年。
I said, "Now is the chance for me to get these documents,"
我说:“现在,是我拿到这些文件的机会了。”
and I took a long shot.
我冒了很大的风险。
I sent a deposition discovery document to Mrs. Hays,and said,
我给海耶斯夫人寄了一份取证文件,并说,
(奥珀尔.海耶斯,本尼.海耶斯的妻子)
"Bring all the documents to the federal court house."
“把所有文件,带到联邦法♥院♥。”
She appeared with all the documents,every one of them.
她带着所有的文件出现了,一份都不少。
The Constitution of the United Klans of America
《全美三K家族联盟章程》
ended up to be some of the most powerful evidence that we had against the UKA.
最终成为了我们反对“尤卡”的最有力的证据。(全美三K联盟)
声音来自:莫里斯.迪斯。
那你们看到的就是三K党的章程。
这个文件中说,你我皆是外来人。
外来人。
只有身在这个隐形帝国中的人,才被允许看到这些内容。
And so we had to put witnesses on the stand.
所以我们不得不让证人出庭作证。
[slide projector clicking]
[点击幻灯片放映机]
The perfect witness was Gary Thomas Rowe.
最完美的证人是加里·托马斯·罗。
Gary Thomas Rowe was an FBI informant.
加里·托马斯·罗,是联邦调查局的线人。
He was involved in some of the most significant and important moments in civil rights history,
他参与了民权历史上一些最重要的时刻,
(蒂凡尼.吉尔博士,民权运动历史学者)
like the beating of the Freedom Riders,like the murder of Viola Liuzzo.
比如殴打“自♥由♥乘车者”,比如谋杀维奥拉·柳佐。
At one point, he actually testifies to the Senate,and he tries to disguise himself in the most bizarre way,
有一次,他在参议院作证,他试图用最奇怪的方式,伪装自己,
of putting a white napkin over his head,shaped in such a way that it looked as though he was wearing a Klan hood.
把一张白色餐巾,盖在头上,形状是这样的,看起来,他好像戴着三k党头套。
I had been instructed to disrupt,discredit,or disorganize the Klan organization to the best of my ability.
我接到指示,要尽我所能扰乱、败坏或瓦解三k党组织。
And to get the information,was it necessary to participate in the violent acts yourself?
为了得到信息,你有必要亲自参与暴♥力♥行为吗?
Some of the information, I think, yes,and some I would say no, sir.
有些信息,我认为是,有些我认为不是,先生。
In connection with the Freedom Riders incident that you mentioned,
关于你提到的自♥由♥乘车者事件,
did the Birmingham Police give you the time to perform the beating?
伯明翰警方,是否给了你实施殴打的时间?
Yes, sir. We were promised 15 minutes with absolutely no intervention from any police officer, whatsoever.
是的,先生,我们被承诺,在15分钟内不会受任何来自警♥察♥的干涉。
And then were they beaten?
然后他们被殴打了吗?
They were beaten very badly, yes.
是的,他们被打得很惨。
Gary Thomas Rowe, he was able to connect the dots between the Klan and the violence of the Klan during that time.
加里·托马斯·罗,他能够将三k党和当时的各处的暴♥力♥事件,联♥系♥起来。
(道格.琼斯,1997年-2001年任联邦检查总署阿♥拉♥巴马州北区总检察官)
So we had this man tied to a whole series of acts,and it was read to the jury.
所以我们把这个人,和一系列事件联♥系♥在一起,然后向陪审团宣读。
It was very, very powerful.
这非常、非常有力。
He was behind the beating of the Freedom Riders,
谢尔顿策划了“殴打自♥由♥乘车者”事件,
the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham,the killing of Viola Liuzzo.
“伯明翰第16街浸信会教堂爆♥炸♥案”及“杀害维奥拉·柳佐”等事件。
Robert Shelton, the leader, was behind it all.
罗伯特·谢尔顿是这一切的幕后主使。
1965年3月25日,39岁的白人女性民权运动积极分子,维奥拉.柳佐,
从底特律驱车赶赴参加由马丁.路德.金主持的,在阿♥拉♥巴马州的
集♥会♥途中,在80号♥高速路的塞尔玛路段,被四名三K党徒追车并遭射杀。
In Mobile, Alabama, in 1981,there was a Klan group operating there,
1981年,在阿♥拉♥巴马州的莫比尔,有一个三k党组织在那里活动,
United Klans of America,a part of Robert Shelton's empire.
全美三K党联盟,罗伯特·谢尔顿帝国的一部分。
In our civil case, the strategy was used to tie the local folks' actions
在我们的民事案件中,这一策略被用来将当地民众的行动
(兰道尔.威廉姆斯,前“南方穷♥人♥法律援助中心”三K党调查负责人)
on to the national Klan organization.
与全国三k党组织联♥系♥起来。
You don't have to show that the head of the United Klan,Robert Shelton said,
你不需要证明,三k党联盟领袖罗伯特·谢尔顿,是否说过,
(莫里斯.迪斯,“南方穷♥人♥法律援助中心”联合创始人)
"Kill Michael Donald."
“杀了迈克尔·唐纳德。”
We had shown all these other violent things he had done.
我们已经展示了,他所犯下的其他所有暴♥力♥的罪行。
All you had to do with this corporation,and it was a corporation,was show some of his top officials
你要做的就是,证明这个集团,及这个集团的一些高层领导,
were behind and promoted the killing.
是幕后主使并推动了这次杀戮的罪魁。
Some of the conspirators were high-ranking officers in the United Klan.
其中一些同谋者是三k党的高层领导。
(阿♥拉♥巴马州参议员迈克尔.菲格斯,唐纳德家人聘请的律师)
In fact, Bennie Hays was the second or third highest ranking Klansman in that organization, in that state,
事实上,谋杀发生时,本尼·海耶斯是那个组织里,在那个州,
at the time of the murder.
排名第二或第三的三k党领导。
Bennie, he gave the orders,he manipulated these young people.
本尼,是他下的命令,他操纵了这些年轻人。
(克里斯.加拉诺斯,前莫比尔县地区检察官)
Tiger Knowles was 17 years old at the time.
泰格·诺尔斯当时17岁。
Bennie Hays was just as culpable and should have been held just as accountable.
本尼·海耶斯同样有罪,也应该被追究同样的责任。
All that together went to shw the pattern of violence that this group had encouraged
所有这些都表明了,这个组织所鼓励的暴♥力♥模式,
around the tie that the Michael Donald lynching took place.
与迈克尔·唐纳德私刑事件发生之间有着联♥系♥。
1987年 民事审判的录音
声音来自:迈克尔.菲格斯。
那天晚上,迈克尔根本就没有用于防身的任何工具。
没有武器。
他面对了两名持枪男子,
还带着一条绳索,
还有一把剃须刀。
而他们就这样杀了他。
其中有一个人在这里表示了忏悔。
When I had Tiger Knowles testify,I got some help from the Attorney General of the United States at the time,
当我让泰格·诺尔斯作证时,我从当时的美国司法部长那里,得到了一些帮助,
and they broke every rule you could break to get him brought down to Mobile.
他们打破了所有,可以打破的规则,把他带到莫比尔。
I concentrated on information that he could give me about who was involved in this planning session,
我把注意力集中在,他能告诉我,关于谁参与了这次计划会议的信息上,
down there in Mobile the week before this all happened.