The body of a Black man
一名黑人男子的尸体
has been found hanging from a tree in Mobile, Alabama.
被发现悬挂在,阿♥拉♥巴马州莫比尔的一棵树上。
Lynching is a tool to control and oppress Black people.
私刑是一种控制和压♥迫♥黑人的工具。
Racialized violence is as old as the constitution.
种族暴♥力♥和宪法一样古老。
Klans are not running around with white sheets over their head
三k党现在没有在头上盖着白床单,公然到处跑,
but it's still happening
但它仍然在发生。
Today, people are horrified over Police.
今天,人们对警♥察♥感到恐惧。
[angry crowd shouting]
[愤怒的喊声]
It's the modern-day lynching.
这就是现代的私刑。
What are we going to do about it?
我们该怎么办呢?
We move forward with people deciding,I'm bold enough, and I'm gonna make it change.
我们让人们来决定,我是否要勇敢些,我是否要让它改变。
Beulah Mae Donald took on one of the most violent criminal organizations in the United States.
比尤拉·梅·唐纳德对付了,美国最暴♥力♥的犯罪组织之一。
This is an incredible story of courage.
这是一个,令人难以置信勇气的故事。
人♥民♥对抗三K党 第一集
[somber music]
[悲伤的音乐]
[radio announcer] The body of a Black man
has been found hanging from a tree in Mobile, Alabama.
[电台播音员]一名黑人男子的尸体,被发现悬挂在,阿♥拉♥巴马州莫比尔的一棵树上。
[serene music]
[平缓音乐声]
[Cecelia] Living in Mobile, was a quiet town.
[塞西莉亚] 住在莫比尔,这是一个安静的小镇。
It's nothing but old trees.
除了古老树林,就什么都没有了。
But after March 1981...
但在1981年三月过后...
塞西莉亚.佩里,迈克尔.唐纳德的姐姐。
it was, kinda like, creepy to me to just look at the trees.
光是看着这些树,我就觉得有点毛骨悚然。
[somber music continues]
[悲伤的音乐继续]
The hurt is still there,the hurt my mom went through.
伤痛还在,那是我妈妈经历过的伤痛。
I just visualize her face,and I go, like, I can't talk about it today.
我浮想起她的面容,然后我寻思着,我今天不能说这个。
[slide projector clicking]
[幻灯片放映机的点击声]
My mama, Beulah Mae Donald, was a quiet woman.
我的母亲,比尤拉·梅·唐纳德是一个平和的妇女。
She was a good-hearted person.
也是个好心肠的女人。
All the neighborhoods that we have lived in,everybody loved her.
我们住过的所有社区,每个人都喜欢她。
Mrs. Donald was a very well-liked person because of her personality.
因为唐纳德夫人的个性,她是一个很受欢迎的人。
(山姆.琼斯,2005年到2013年在莫比尔的镇长)
She'd volunteer her time working with children,a model mother.
她自愿花时间帮助孩子们,是个模范母亲。
[slide projector clicking]
[幻灯片放映机的点击声]
[Cecelia] Michael was my brother.
[塞西莉亚]迈克尔是我的弟弟。
Michael was well-loved. He was quiet.
迈克尔深受大家爱戴。他很平和。
He worked at night,and he kept my oldest son during the day time.
他晚上工作,白天照顾我的大儿子。
Michael was a well-mannered, and a polite, young man.
迈克尔是个彬彬有礼的年轻人。
(声音来自:莉莉安.托马斯,迈克尔唐纳德的高中教师)
Michael is a true example that hard work pays off.
迈克尔是“功夫不负有心人”的真实例证。
(声音来自:莉莉安.托马斯,迈克尔唐纳德的高中教师)
The housing project we lived in, everybody knew each other.
我们住的那个安居小区,每个人都认识彼此。
And this family cooked, we ate from them,and if my mom cooked, they ate from us.
这个家庭做饭,我们从他们那里吃,如果我妈妈做饭,他们就从我们那里吃。
There was gangs and stuff back then,but we didn't get involved in it.
那时候有帮派之类的,但我们没掺和进去。
My mom was always sitting on the porch,
waiting on us to arrive home from school.
我妈妈总是坐在门廊上,等我们放学回家。
If he came home and I was lying down,
he'd do, you know, little things to help.
如果他回到家,发现我在歇着,他会,你知道的,做些小事情来帮助我。
(声音来自比尤拉.梅.马克唐纳,迈克尔.麦克唐纳的母亲)
That's the kind of boy he was.
他就是这样的男孩。
[Cecelia] We didn't know nothing about the world
and what the world was doing out there.
[塞西莉亚]我们对世界一无所知,也不知道外面的世界在做什么。
We just knew that we lived in the housing project,
but we could not venture away from home.
我们只知道我们住在这个安居小区里,但我们不能冒险离开家。
We had to always be where she could call us.
我们得一直待在她能打电♥话♥给我们的地方。
People call it sheltered. I call it living a good life.
人们称之为“蜗居”。我称之为“美好的生活”。
[soft piano music]
[柔和的钢琴声]
[ominous music]
[不祥的音乐声]
1981年三月20日之夜。
[Cecelia] We were all gathered at my sister's house, Betty.
[塞西莉亚] 我们都聚集在,我姐姐贝蒂的房♥子里。
And we would always sit around on Friday night,
'cause she lived right round the corner from my mom.
周五晚上,我们总是坐在一起,因为她就住在我妈妈家附近。
And so my niece, Vanessa, said, "I need some cigarettes".
我的外甥女瓦妮莎说:“我需要一些香烟。”
Michael said, "I'll walk up there and get 'em."
迈克尔说:“我走过去,买♥♥一盒过来吧。”
He said that he needed him some cigarettes.
他说,他需要一些香烟。
(迈克尔的外甥)
So he would go to the service station on Davis Avenue.
所以他会去戴维斯大道的加油站。
He left and then he didn't come, so we thought he was at home.
他走了又没来,所以我们以为他在家。
[Cecelia] They got to bed later on that night and he never came back.
[塞西莉亚] 那天晚上他们睡得很晚,他再也没有回来。
Vanessa, she say, "He took my money and went home."
凡妮莎,她说"他拿了我的钱就回家了"
I say, "He probably did" She say, "I'm gonna get him."
我说“可能是他干的”,她说:“我会抓到他的。”
And we start laughing. I say, "Yeah, you get him."
我们开始大笑。我说,“是的,你得到他了。”
You know, everybody's assuming he gone home to my mom.
大家都以为,他回家找我妈了。
[ominous music]
[不祥的音乐]
[Cornell Brooks] As a woman of profound faith,
[康奈尔.布鲁克斯] 作为一个有着深厚信仰的女人,
Beulah Mae Donald had, not a dream, but a vision.
比尤拉·梅·唐纳德不是一个梦想,而是一个愿景。
(康奈尔.威廉.布鲁克斯,全国有色人种协进会前主席,哈佛大学肯尼迪学院教授)
In her vision, she saw her son in a casket.
在她的幻象中,她看到她的儿子躺在棺材里。
(康奈尔.威廉.布鲁克斯,全国有色人种协进会前主席,哈佛大学肯尼迪学院教授)
[ominous music]
[Beulah Mae] In my vision, my body rolled
[比尤拉.梅] 在我的幻象中,我的身体滚到
in front of my living room and lay there,
客厅前,躺在那里,
a brown-skinned man in a gray casket.
一个棕色皮肤的男人,躺在一个灰色的棺材里。
I couldn't tell who he was.
我认不出他是谁。
But when I woke up, I-- I was hurt.
但当我醒来时,我...我受伤了。
And that's when I began to call all my children.
从那时起,我开始给我所有的孩子,打电♥话♥。
[phone ringing]
[电♥话♥铃♥声♥]
1981年三月21日,早晨。
The next morning she called and said she hadn't seen him all night.
第二天早上,她打电♥话♥来说,她整晚都没见过他。
[phone ringing]
[电♥话♥铃♥声♥]
And I say, "You haven't?" And she say, "No."
我说:“你没有和他在一起?” 她说:“没有。”
That Saturday morning,a friend of ours called and said,
"Look, you guys need to come over here on Herndon."
那个星期六的早上,我们的一个朋友打电♥话♥说:“听着,你们得来荷顿。”
They got a Black man, hanging from a tree over here.
那边有个黑人,吊在树上。
We would just stall and say, "What, are you serious?"
我们迟疑了一下,然后说:“什么,你是认真的吗?”
(山姆.琼斯,2005-2013年的莫比尔的镇长)
[Policeman] You're gonna have to move.
[警♥察♥] 你得离开。
-[Robert Gilliard] Can I speak with you a moment?
-[罗伯特.吉拉德] 我能和你谈谈吗?
The information I have, you can tell me whether it's true or not,
that a Black man was found in a tree.
我所掌握的信息,你可以告诉我,这是真是假?一个黑人在树上被发现了。
(罗伯特.W.吉拉德,全国有色人种协进会莫比尔分会主席)
I was advised that if anybody was talking to me,
I was supposed to talk to a supervisor.
上头有人告诉我,如果有人找我谈话,我应该找我的主管。
-Yeah, all right. All right. -Thanks.
-好吧。好吧。 -谢谢。
Beautiful spring morning,temperatures high 50s, low 60s at daylight
美丽的春天早晨,白天气温高达华氏50-60多度,
(威尔伯.威廉姆斯,前莫比尔警♥察♥局警探)
I'm coming in Spring Hill Avenue,
我来到春山( Spring Hill)大道,
I hear a couple of transmissions over the police radio.
我听到警♥察♥无线电里有几段广播。
It was actually called in
by the first reporting patrol officer as one dead.
第一个报♥警♥的巡警说有一人死亡。
我已经像其他人一样自♥由♥的说了。
谢谢你,先生。
就是三K党徒干的。
从来不会有黑人,会把人吊在树上。
[Chris Galanos] On the way down there,what was going through
my mind was trying to anticipate what I was going to find.
[克里斯.加拉诺斯]在去那里的路上,我脑子里想的是,试图预测我将会发现什么。
And most importantly, what,
if any,witnesses were going to be there.
最重要的是,如果有证人的话,会有什么样的证人。
And then there was another part of me that said,
然后我的另一部分告诉我,
(克里斯.加拉诺斯,莫比尔县前地方检察官)
whatever you see,
don't let your emotions get in the way of what you got to do.
无论你看到什么,不要让你的情绪阻碍你要做的事情。
(克里斯.加拉诺斯,莫比尔县前地方检察官)
[Wilbur Williams] I thought I was one of those people
that could handle most anything.
[威尔伯·威廉姆斯]我以为,我是那种能处理,几乎任何事情的人。
As long as I have my faculties,that picture that morning,
will be etched in my mind forever.
只要我还活着,那天早上的画面,就会永远铭刻在我的脑海里。
And then the Police Department got a call
about a wallet found in a dumpster.
然后警♥察♥局接到电♥话♥说,在垃圾箱里发现了一个钱包。
Then that's when we found an ID card identifying
the young man as Michael Anthony Donald.
就在那时,我们发现了一张身份证,
上面显示这个年轻人是迈克尔·安东尼·唐纳德。
That morning, one of my cousins called and said,
那天早上,我的一个表兄打电♥话♥来说,
-"They believe it's Michael." -[slide projector clicking]
-“认为是迈克尔的尸体。” -[幻灯机点击声]
"It's him"
“是他的。”
That's all I could say was, "It's him."
我只能说"是他"
[crying]
[哭声]
I was just numb.
我只是麻木了。
I couldn't believe that this was happening to us.
我不敢相信,这种事会发生在我们身上。
And I looked outside my mom's door,and it was people everywhere.
我往我妈妈的门外看,到处都是人。
I mean, everywhere in the neighborhood.
我是说,到处都是人。
They had come from far and near.
他们从四面八方赶来。
My sister, Cynthia Hamilton,she went to identify the body, with my husband.
我姐姐,辛西娅·汉密尔顿,她和我丈夫一起去认尸了。
All he had done,was left his mom's house that night
to walk to the service station to buy a pack of cigarettes...
他所做的一切,就是那天晚上离开他妈妈的家,走到加油站买♥♥了一包烟…
(迈克尔.菲格斯的遗孀)
Not knowing what was waiting for him.
I can only imagine what Mrs. Donald went through.
不知道等着他的是什么。我能想象,唐纳德夫人经历了什么。
The crowd just gathered.
人群立刻聚集起来。
People started gathering here.
人们开始聚集在这里。
Senator Michael Figures and I, we jumped in the car.
迈克尔·菲格斯参议员和我,我们跳进了车里。