本尼·海耶斯说,我和三k党牵扯太深了,
and I was getting to where I know too much.
我知道的太多了。
(泰迪.凯扎,前三K党成员)
If anything ever happened and I wind up being the fall guy,
如果发生了什么事,我成了替罪羊,
he took his hand and done like that.
他拉起他的手,就像这样。
He said, "Your pockets will be padded with money."
他说:“你的口袋里会装满钱。
You'll never have to work ever again.
你再也不用干活了。
But if you ever open your mouth about the Klan,you're gonna die.
但如果你敢说出三k家族,你就死定了。”
[urgent music]
[紧张音乐]
We get up to the trial, Tuesday morning,you went into the courtroom the Klan in this part,
周二早上,我们开始了审判,你走进法庭,这里是三k党,
and then you had all of the NAACP, all over there.
然后是全国有色人种协进会的所有成员,各路人马都汇集在那里。
To imagine a criminal court in the '80s, in Mobile, Alabama,
想象一个80年代的刑事法庭,在阿♥拉♥巴马州的莫比尔,
where you have a jury box with 11 jurors who were white, and one juror who's Black.
你有一个陪审团包厢,有11个白人陪审员,一个黑人陪审员。
Of white defendants being held accountable for the death of Michael Donald,
一名白人被告,要为迈克尔·唐纳德的死负责,
the stakes could not be higher,the racial tensions could not be higher.
风险不能再高了,种族关系也不能再紧张了。
The nation is literally watching.
举国都在关注着。
Everyone had to have a sense of this being a historical aberration.
每个人都觉得,这是历史的反常行为。
Black people do not get to hold white people accountable for the death of Black lives.
黑人不能让,白人为黑人的死亡负责。
A criminal trial for folks who are card carrying members of the Klan.
这是一场对三k党注册成员,进行的刑事审判。
You'd have a reason to be afraid,a reason to be concerned and, particularly,
你有理由害怕,有理由担心,特别是,
when the text and the sub-text of the trial is white supremacy, and American racism.
当审判的文本和潜台词,是白人至上主义和美国种族主义时。
庭审第一天
[newsreader] Today was tense at the courthouse,a bomb threat was phoned in.
[新闻播音员] 今天法♥院♥气氛很紧张,有人打电♥话♥威胁说要炸。
and a prosecution witness said Hays' father threatened to kill him.
一名控方证人称海耶斯的父亲,威胁要杀了他。
He said if I ever open my mouth about anything,
他说如果我敢说出去,
that I would be dead within 8 hours,24 hours at the most.
我就会在8小时内死去,最多24小时。
(泰迪.凯扎,前三K党成员)
I was really scared.
我真的害怕了。
I moved out of my mother and father's house 'cause when I was started testifying,
我搬出了父母的房♥子,因为当我开始作证的时候,
Bennie Hays came to my mom and daddy's house,looking for me, to shut my mouth,to keep me from talking.
本尼·海斯去了我爸妈家,找我,想让我闭嘴,不让我开口。
[slide projector clicking]
[点击幻灯片放映机]
When my mother and father went to the store to guy groceries
当我父母去商店买♥♥杂货的时候,
I wrote them a note saying I moved out.
我给他们留了一张纸条,说我搬出去了。
I couldn't live here no more, and I started staying at the Salvation Army in Pritchard.
我不能再住在这里了,我开始住在普里查德的救世军会所。
I honestly believed that they would have killed my mom and daddy.
我真的相信,他们会杀了我的父母。
29-year-old Henry Hays looked chipper as his capital murder trial got under way.
29岁的亨利·海斯在他的死刑谋杀审判正在进行中,他看起来神采奕奕。
Security is tight at the trial where in his opening argument,acting District Attorney, Tom Harrison,charged that Hays
在开庭陈词中,代理地区检察官汤姆·哈里森指控海耶斯
and 20-year-old James 'Tiger' Knowles, went out looking for a Black man and found Michael Donald.
和20岁的詹姆斯.“老虎”诺尔斯,外出寻找一名黑人,并发现了迈克尔·唐纳德。
I put Tiger Knowles on the stand and we went through, you know, who he is,
我让泰格·诺尔斯上了证人席,我们问他是谁,
did he know Henry Hays and how did he know him,just asking what happened that night.
他认识亨利·海耶斯吗,怎么认识的,只是问那晚发生了什么。
(声音来自:汤姆.哈里森,前莫比尔县代理地区检察官)
[slide projector clicking]
[点击幻灯片放映机]
Soon as he leaned over to the car to give us directions,
就在他靠到车旁,给我们指路的时候,
(声音来自:詹姆斯.“老虎”诺尔斯)
I put a pistol in his face and made him get in the car.
我用手♥枪♥指着他的脸,逼他上车。
Then he started begging for his life.
然后他开始求我饶他一命。
[ominous music]
[不祥的音乐]
[haunting music]
[悬疑的音乐]
[newsreader] The body of a Black man was found hanging, lynch style,
[新闻播报员] 在阿♥拉♥巴马州莫比尔的一条住♥宅♥街道上,
from a tree in a residential street in Mobile, Alabama.
一名黑人男子的尸体,被发现以私刑方式,悬挂在一棵树上。
That was more than two years ago.
那是两年多前的事了。
Today, a courtroom heard that the killing was the work of the Ku Klux Klan.
今天,法庭审理了这起谋杀案,是三k党所为的。
[slide projector clicking]
[点击幻灯片放映机]
Mrs. Donald did not attend the trial because, I think, that it would have been too painful.
唐纳德夫人没有参加审判,我想是因为那太痛苦了。
She'd lost a child, and to have to relive that would be devastating to any parent.
她失去了一个孩子,不得不重新经历这一切,对任何父母来说,都是毁灭性的。
(克里斯.加拉诺斯,前莫比尔县地区检察官)
[somber music]
[悲伤音乐]
Consider what Beulah Mae Donald was going through while
想想比尤拉·梅·唐纳德在努力为
trying to secure justice for Michael Donald,
迈克尔·唐纳德伸张正义时所,经历的一切,
(康奈尔.威廉.布鲁克斯,前NAACP主席,哈佛肯尼迪政♥治♥学院教授)
while grieving his death.
同时,承受着他死亡的痛苦。
[somber music]
[悲伤音乐]
Consider what Gwen Carr is going through now,in the wake of Eric Garner's death Consider all the mothers,
想想格温·卡尔现在经历了什么,在埃里克·加纳死后,想想所有的母亲,
behind the hashtags,who had children we understand to be uman beings.
在标签后面,她们的孩子,我们都知道是人。
[somber music]
[悲伤音乐]
Our child, they die one time.
我们的孩子,他们死过一次。
The mother, the father, the family,we die a little every day.
母亲,父亲,家人,我们每天都会,死去一点。
(埃里克.加纳 迈克尔.唐纳德)
[slide projector clicking]
[点击幻灯片放映机]
What happened to George Floyd brought back so vividly of how my son was killed.
乔治·弗洛伊德的遭遇,让我生动地回想起,我儿子是如何被杀的。
(格温.凯尔,埃里克.加纳的母亲)
There are so many m others and fathers who's child has been murdered,and no-one ever heard about them.
有那么多父母亲的孩子被谋杀了,却没有人听说过他们。
They are the nameless, and they are the faceless,but their pain is the same.
他们是既没名气,又没形象,但他们的痛苦是一样的。
[somber music]
[哀伤的音乐]
[slide projector clicking]
[点击幻灯片放映机]
When the trials started, I didn't go to the trials.
当庭审开始时,我没有去旁听。
I never went to any of the trials,because at that point,
我从未旁观过任何一场庭审,因为那时,
I don't know what was going on with my body but I had gotten so little.
我不知道,我的身体发生了什么,但我变得太瘦弱了。
(塞西莉亚.佩里,迈克尔.唐纳德的姐姐)
And the doctor said what I was doing was no eating.
医生说我,吃得太少了。
And I think that what it was, I didn't want anything to eat.
我想原因是,我什么都不想吃。
But I had got so small, my ma was worried about me.
但我太瘦弱了,我的母亲很担心我。
She said, "Are you all right? because I dropped so much weight in so little time.
她说:“你还好吗?” 因为我在这么短的时间内,掉了这么多的体重。
Our top story, the Henry Hays trial.
头条新闻,亨利·海耶斯案。
Hays admits that he's a member of the Ku Klux Klan.
海耶斯承认,他是三k党成员。
Now, he's being tried on charges of capital murder,
现在,他被指控犯有谋杀罪,
charges that could send him to the electric chair,if convicted of killing a young, Black man,Michael Donald.
如果谋杀年轻黑人迈克尔·唐纳德罪名成立,他可能会被送上电椅。
The two or three times that I paid any attention to Henry,
有两三次我注意到亨利,
he appeared to be scared to death, justifiably so,'cause the ship was sinking.
他似乎吓得要死,这是可以理解的,因为船要沉了。
(汤姆.哈里森,前莫比尔县地区助理检察官)
Every witness that I put on was another nail in his coffin.
我手里的每一个证人,都是他棺材上的一颗钉子。
When Tiger Knowles told the story I think everybody was just so amazed,
当泰格·诺尔斯讲述这个故事时,我想每个人都很惊讶,
'cause if it hadn't been for him we never would have known.
因为,如果不是他的交代,我们永远不会知道。
[newsreader] Testifying for the prosecution,James "Tiger' Knowles, pointed at his fellow Ku Klux Klansman, Henry Hays,
[新闻播音员]为控方作证的詹姆斯.“老虎”诺尔斯,
指着他的三k党同伙亨利.海耶斯说,
and said that together they killed 19-year-old Michael Donald in March, 1981, because he was black.
他们一起在1981年3月,杀死了19岁的迈克尔·唐纳德,就因为他是黑人。
[ominous music]
[不祥的音乐]
The Klan wanted the message to get back to the Black people,
三k党想要把这个信息传达给黑人,
not just of Alabama, of the whole United States,
不仅仅是阿♥拉♥巴马州的黑人,而是整个美国的黑人,
(詹姆斯.“老虎”诺尔斯,前三K党成员)
that we would not stand for a Black person killing a white police officer and getting away with it,
我们不会容忍♥,一个黑人杀死白人警♥察♥,并逍遥法外,
especially in Alabama.
尤其是在阿♥拉♥巴马州。
We had gotten the rope, ad we got the gun.
我们拿了绳子,也带着枪。
And then I tied the hangman's noose in Henry's car.
然后,我在亨利的车里,把绞索绑好。
We were out on a hunt.
我们出去寻找。
That's what we were doing, we were hunting Black people.
那就是我们当时做的,我们在猎杀黑人。
Klansmen said that they were out hunting Black people.
三k党成员说,他们去猎杀黑人了。
and they came upon Michael Donald and killed him.
他们发现了迈克尔·唐纳德,并杀死了他。
(塔米卡.D.莫洛蕾,“直到自♥由♥运♥动♥”联合发起人)
They literally mean they were out hunting Black people.
好像是说,他们在追捕黑人。
Just go watch the tape of what happened to Ahmaud Arbery when they killed him on the streets in Georgia.
去看看阿莫德·阿贝里,在佐治亚州街头被杀的录像吧。
(2020年2月23日,在街头慢跑的黑人,被两名白人开枪射杀)
Watch men, who are not police officers,who have no authority,
看看那些不是警♥察♥的人,他们没有权力,
drive around,and literally corner off this young man.
开车到处转,把这个年轻人逼到墙角。
And then shoot him, with a shotgun,in his hand, in his body.
然后开枪打他,用猎枪,打在他手上,打在他身上。
[slide projector clicking]
[点击幻灯片放映机]
He was an easy target because he was by himself,
他很容易成为下手目标,因为他只有一个人,
and so that's the reason we chose him.
所以,我们选择了他。
(詹姆斯.“老虎”诺尔斯,前三K党成员)
I called him over to the car for directions.
我把他叫到车旁问路。
I think it was for directions, I don't remember.
我想是问路吧,我不记得了。
Henry pulled the car right against the curb,and I asked Mike where Butt Nightclub was,
亨利把车停在路边,我问迈克“屁♥股♥夜♥总♥会♥”在哪,
and he went to give me directions to it,and I put the gun in his face and told him,
他去给我指路,我用枪指着他的脸,对他说
"Don't say anything."
“什么都别说。”
I pulled the gun and told him to get in the car.
我拔出枪,让他上车。
He got in the back seat, and I got in it with him.
他上了后座,我也上车了。
The guy had no idea we was gonna kill him.
那家伙根本不知道,我们要杀他。
We brought him-- took him to Baldwin County.
我们带他...去了鲍德温县。
I asked him if he had a girlfriend.
我问他,有没有女朋友。
He said, "Yeah."
他说,“有。”
The last thing he said, as far as I can remember,was in the car when he said,
在我的记忆中,他在车里,说的最后一句话是,他说:
"Please don't kill me.
“请不要杀我。
I'll do anything you want, just don't kill me."
你要我做什么都行,只要别杀我。”
When we got out of the car is when he attacked me and tried to get away.
我们下车的时候,他袭击了我,并试图逃跑。
It's like he just completely changed
就像他完全变了一样,
and went from a calm person to a mad dog,a raging animal.
从一个冷静的人,变成了一条疯狗,一只愤怒的动物。
When I think about Tiger Knowles describing Michael Donald fighting like a mad dog,
当我听到泰格·诺尔斯描述,迈克尔·唐纳德像疯狗一样挣扎时,
I think about the fact that the killer is describing the victim as non-human.
我想到的是,凶手将受害者描述为非人类。
That says everything we need to know about hate crime.