The family local? Uh...
她的家人在本地吗
Parents upstate. Fiancé in town.
家人在州北 未婚夫在本地
You don't think somebody local did this?
你们不会觉得是本地人干的吧
Hard to say at this point.
现在还很难说
I go to church with these people.
我可是跟他们一起去教堂的
We get peeping Toms, sure. But something like this?
偶尔会有偷窥狂 但做出这种事
It doesn't make sense.
根本说不通
To go from shoplifters and underage kids buying beer to...
从偷东西 未成年买酒的普通案子升级到...
what happened to Beverly... has to be an outsider.
贝芙莉遇到的事... 肯定是外地人干的
Draped over the ironing board here, is that human hair?
这块烫衣板上缠着的 是头发吗
Yes, sir.
是的
You have it?
在你们手里吗
Sure.
当然
Yeah, Forensics bagged it up.
鉴证科装起来了
It's all about Forensics. I am starting to appreciate that.
现在都靠鉴证科 我开始正视他们了
And the ironing board, you take that as well?
烫衣板你们也带走了吗
Uh, I mean, we dusted it
我们查了表面
for fingerprints and everything, but, uh...
看有没有指纹之类的 但是...
But you do think the unsub scalped
但你们认为是犯罪嫌疑人
Beverly and then draped it over the ironing board?
拔下了贝芙莉的头发并缠在了烫衣板上吗
Does that mean something?
这代表着什么吗
Everything in this photo has meaning.
这张照片里的一切都有意义
If the unsub meant to display the hair, that means he's saying something.
如果疑犯是故意把头发摆出来 肯定有含义
He could've put the hair anywhere.
不然他可以把头发放在任何地方
Right, no, I get it now. Uh...
好的 我明白了
Soon as Forensics confirms it's Beverly's hair...
只要鉴证科证实是贝芙莉的头发
I'm sorry, what?
抱歉 你说什么
Well, we shouldn't jump ahead of Forensics, am I right?
我们不能跳过鉴证科下判断吧
I think, in this case,
我认为 这个案子里
we have a dead body missing a chunk of hair,
尸体缺失了许多头发
a big chunk of hair nearby,
旁边刚好有一堆头发
so we can go out on a limb and assume...
难道不能直接断定...
I think what Agent Ford is trying to say, in his own way,
福特探员想说的是
is we're behind the eight ball here,
我们形势不利
we've come late to the party.
我们来晚了
We're gonna have to go over ground you've covered:
我们得重新去走一遍你们的流程
witnesses, crime scene.
走访证人 查看现场
We don't mean that as a challenge to you.
我们不是要挑战你们的权威
It's not any kind of a criticism.
也完全不是想批评你们
We're just trying to catch up. Am I right, Agent Ford?
我们只是想赶上进度 对吗 福特探员
Absolutely.
是的
We may ask some obvious questions
我们可能会问一些常规问题
and maybe a few you haven't thought of.
也可能会问一些你们没想到的
But it's not a contest or a competition.
但这不是想跟你们比赛或竞争
We're all on the same side.
我们是同一战线的
Okay? Sure.
可以吗 好
Let's go through the rest.
来看下其他资料吧
I'm curious why you're cutting this guy so much slack.
我很好奇你为什么对他那么宽容
He's never seen this kind of thing before.
他没见过这种案子
He's rattled. It's not his fault.
所以有点慌 这不怪他
Without a doubt you have more experience,
毫无疑问 你的经验更丰富
but why rub it in his face?
但何必说出来打他脸呢
I'm not trying to make you feel bad.
我不是故意给你添堵
Maybe a little.
也许有一点
The point is, local cops want
重点是 当地警方
to catch their guy as much as we do, maybe more.
也跟我们一样想抓住他 甚至更想
For them, it's not just theoretical, it's where they live.
对他们来说这不仅是纸上谈兵 这里是他们的家
This is where your focus should be.
这才是你们应该关注的重点
Not on the crime scene, not on the corpse, not on the schematics.
不是现场 不是尸体 不是犯罪图解
Focus on Beverly.
而是贝芙莉
What did the killer see in her?
杀手为什么选她
We've learned that this is a crucial detail,
我们认识到这是其中一个
and not the only one.
至关重要的细节
Based on the facts Detective Ocasek laid out earlier,
基于奥卡塞克警官之前给出的信息
our methodology tells us we're looking for a white male.
我们推断出凶手是一名白人男性
These crimes rarely cross racial lines.
这种罪行很少会跨种族
He's probably around Beverly's age.
他很可能和贝芙莉年龄相近
A killer will usually choose someone smaller and weaker than himself.
杀手通常会选择比自己弱小的对象
He's a loner, hunts at night.
他是独行者 喜欢在夜间狩猎
I'm sorry, "Hunts"? Is that a figure of speech?
抱歉 "狩猎" 这是比喻说法吗
It is not.
不是
Coroner's report said Beverly was killed and then butchered.
法医报告显示贝芙莉被杀后又被肢解
Isn't that what hunters do?
那不正是猎人的行为吗
We're probably looking for a loner.
凶手很可能是独行者
These men like to explore the fantasy first,
这种人喜欢先探索自己的幻想
bondage pornography, hardcore material.
性♥虐色情片 重口味的东西
It gives them a certain... attitude towards women.
这让他们对女性有着某种...态度
Hence, a loner.
因此推断是独行者
Close knit community like this, you would've spotted that by now.
要不然在这个如此紧密的社区 你们早该发现了
I think our man is an outsider, probably a drifter.
凶手可能是外来人 很可能居无定所
Most likely, he'll move on from here and kill again.
他极有可能会离开这里继续作案
Again?
继续作案
The killer thought of
对于杀手来说
Beverly Jean as just another piece of trash.
贝芙莉·简只是一件垃圾
Folks loved Beverly Jean. Trusted her with their kids.
大家都很喜欢她 放心把孩子交给她
Had to be a drifter, like you say.
就像你说的 凶手肯定是外地人
Some stranger passing through town.
一个路过此地的陌生人
All that pretty hair caught his eye.
她的秀发吸引了他的目光
He needed to possess it, then destroy it.
他想要拥有它 然后毁了它
You talk to the fiancé?
跟未婚夫聊过了吗
There's only so much you can get out of a man in that state.
经历了这样的事 他能提供的信息实在不多
Benjamin was still in shock. Gotta take all that into account.
本杰明受了很重的打击 得考虑这一点
Well, I'm sure you know your people,
你肯定很了解这里的人
but let's just cover our bases.
不过该问的还是要问
And let's try to get him cold. Make some excuse when you call.
出其不意吧 打电话的时候找个借口
Don't mention the FBI, or even the murder.
别提联调局 别提杀人的事
Help us get an unguarded response.
这样能听到最真实的回复
Soon as Benjamin gets back into town.
本杰明一回来我就问
Back into town? You let the fiancé leave?
回来 你让他离开了吗
He went up north for a bit to be with his relatives.
他去北边找亲戚了
You need to be with family at times like this.
这种时候需要跟家人待在一起
He'll be back soon. I'll vouch for that.
他很快回来 我保证
He'll be back.
他会回来的
Where was the body found?
尸体是在哪里发现的
Up here to the left.
就在上面靠左的位置
Here's the ironing board.
烫衣板在这儿
Right. I'll have a couple
对哦 我会派人来
of the boys come pick it up. Sorry about that.
把它取走 抱歉
No apology necessary. We're all learning as we go.
不必道歉 我们都在不断学习
You can see why I went easy on the fiancé.
你们能理解我为何轻易放过未婚夫了吧
Ugly end for someone you just proposed to.
刚求完婚的对象落得这个下场
How long were they engaged?
他们订婚订了多久
Couple months, I think.
几个月吧
Could be he felt trapped.
也许他觉得被困住了
By a pretty, young blonde?
被一位年轻美貌的金发女子吗
Remember what Wendy said?
记得温迪说过什么吗
A colleague of ours, a psychologist.
温迪是我们的同事 一位心理学家
Events we process as good news
我们认为的好消息
sometimes hit these killers the wrong way.
也许在杀手们看来不尽然
That's interesting.
很有意思
Who found the body?
尸体是谁发现的
A welder, Alvin Moran, out taking his dog for a hike.
一位焊工 埃尔文·莫兰 当时带着狗去远足
At the dump? He have an alibi?
去垃圾场吗 他有不在场证明吗
Alibi? He came to us. Why's he need an alibi?
什么 就是他报的案 他还需要不在场证明吗
Sometimes the killer will
有时候凶手
insinuate himself into the investigation.
会故意参与调查过程
Even report his own crime?
甚至会自己报案吗
Can we talk to him?
我们能跟他聊聊吗
Yeah.
可以
Excuse me!
打扰了
Mr. Moran?
莫兰先生
Mr. Moran?
莫兰先生
You remember me, Mr. Moran?
记得我吗 莫兰先生
These men from the FBI would like to talk to you. That all right?
联调局的人想找你聊聊 可以吗
Great.
很好
We're told you found Beverly Jean's body.
听说是你发现了贝芙莉·简的尸体
How'd you happen to find yourself at the dump?
你怎么会去垃圾场附近
Hiking. Wopsononock Mountain.
远足 去沃普森诺克山
Like to take the trail, clear my head.
我喜欢去山上走走 散散心
Get a break from the wife and kids? That's right.
躲开老婆孩子吗 没错
Get up there a few times a week. Take the dog for a walk.
我一周会去几次 遛遛狗
Still not clear how that puts you at the dump.
还是没说你为什么会在垃圾场附近
The path comes in pretty close. Does it?
那里离山路很近 是吗
You see any sign of a hiking trail out by the dump, Bill?
你在垃圾场附近看到登山径了吗 比尔
The other side of the railroad tracks, up the hill.
是山上铁轨的另一边
Looks like a bunch of trees from where you're standing.
也许从你们那边看去只是一片树林
But if there's no clear view from the dump to the trail...
但如果从垃圾堆不能清楚看到小路...
Are you really FBI?
你真是联调局的吗
Am I under suspicion here?
我成嫌犯了吗
Okay.
好吧
So I come off the trail to take a piss, no law against it.
我走下小路去撒尿 这不犯法吧
There may be, actually, but let's leave that for now.
可能还真犯法 不过现在先不管
You go to take a piss, you see Beverly Jean's body...
你去小便 看到了贝芙莉·简的尸体
I thought it was a store mannequin or something.
我以为是商店用的人体模特呢
Wouldn't your dog have gone straight for it?
你的狗不应该先发现尸体吗
Might have, but that's not what happened. What kind of dog?
应该 不过当时不是这样 什么狗
Retriever. And he didn't sniff it out first?
寻回犬 它却没先嗅到尸体
That seems odd.
真奇怪
He's an old dog. Not too old for a hike.
它是条老狗了 那还能远足
I took care of my business,
我小便完
I collected my dog, and I went to the police.
叫回我的狗 就去找了警察
Right away? Few hours later? Next day?
马上 几小时后 还是隔天
Couple hours later. Maybe that night.
几小时后 可能是当晚
It was actually morning when you came in, sir.
你来的时候其实是早上 先生
Why'd you wait so long to report the body, Mr. Moran?
你为什么等这么久才上报 莫兰先生
You're talking to the FBI, Mr. Moran.
你在跟联调局说话 莫兰先生
If we want to find something out, we will find it out.
如果我们想查清楚 我们会的
I was scared the cops might want me for it, okay?
我害怕警察会抓我 行了吧
My wife talked me out of that. I did my duty as a citizen.
我妻子劝服了我 我完成了公民的义务
You thought they'd want you for a murder?
你觉得他们会把你当成凶手
I seen cops get desperate, grab whoever they can get.
我见过警察气急败坏 最后乱抓人
But why you?
但为什么抓你
I got a bit of a record, all right?
我有些案底
It ain't much. I lit up a few
没多少 就是小时候
fires when I was a kid, got into a few fights.
点了几把火 打了几次架
I ain't proud of it.
我并不觉得光彩
Came here, met my wife.
来到这儿 遇见了我老婆
Family man now. Before that, did you move around a lot?
现在成家了 在这之前 你经常搬家吗
Not a good way to live. I feel settled now.
不怎么舒坦 我现在觉得安定了
Is that your statement, Mr. Moran?
这就是你的口供吗 莫兰先生
I come into town, grab a beer now and then.
我来到镇上 偶尔喝点啤酒
I seen Beverly Jean a few times.
见过贝芙莉·简几次
You saw Beverly Jean at a bar?
你在酒吧见过贝芙莉·简
At The Kettle.
在岩穴酒吧
Finally got up the nerve. The nerve to do what?
终于鼓起勇气 鼓起勇气做什么
To buy her a drink.
给她买杯酒
She wasn't interested, end of story.
她不感兴趣 就这样
Maybe I asked her more than once.
也许我问了她不止一次
More than once that night at the bar,
在那个酒吧问了不止一次
or on more than one occasion?
还是不止一个场合
I guess you'd say on more than one occasion.
不止一个场合吧
He's too old and too married.
他太老 而且早就成家了
He was a drifter until recently.
他一直居无定所 最近才安定
Beverly Jean rejected him.
贝芙莉·简拒绝了他
He's got a record. He tried to help the police.
他有案底 他试图帮助警方
And his alibi? Home watching TV with the wife?
那他的不在场证明呢 在家陪老婆看电视
If a man like that took Beverly Jean,
如果是他那种人杀害了贝芙莉·简
he'd draw it out, make her suffer.
他会做得更绝 让她受苦
You saw the photos, he must've tortured her for hours.
你看到照片了 他肯定折磨了她几个小时
Those wounds were inflicted posthumously. Can't forget that.
那些伤口是死后造成的 别忘了
You said that before. What difference does that make?
你之前也说过 这能说明什么呢
When you're married, it's a contract.
一旦结了婚 就是一张契约
There's children, a mortgage,
有孩子 有贷款
a house to keep up, almost like a business.
有房子要维护 几乎像做生意一样
Only you can't quit. She can't fire you.
只不过你不能退出 她不能炒了你
Stock goes up, stock goes down...
股价上涨 股价下跌
doesn't matter, you're trapped.
都无所谓 你被套牢了
Unless you want to bring on the lawyers and open Pandora's box.
除非你想把律师扯进来 打开潘多拉魔盒
Resentment builds on both sides.
那样两方怨恨会不断积累
A thousand tiny cuts.
痛不欲生
If Alvin Moran had a married man's anger,
如果埃尔文·莫兰有已婚男人那种愤怒
he'd have tortured, then killed her.
他会先折磨她 再杀死她
No question in my mind.
毫无疑问
Maybe we should talk to his wife. See if there's anything there.
也许我们该跟他妻子谈谈 看有没有发现
I mean, she's the whole alibi.
毕竟她是唯一的不在场证明
Wouldn't mind checking it holds up.
查一查也无妨
Mrs. Moran, thank you for coming in.
莫兰女士 谢谢你过来
My name is Bill Tench. This is my partner, Holden Ford.
我是比尔·坦奇 这是我搭档霍尔登·福特
Hello.
你好
I don't understand. I can't call my husband?
我不明白 我不能打给我丈夫吗
Aren't I supposed to get my phone call?
我不是有权打电话吗
You're not under arrest, Mrs. Moran.
你没被捕 莫兰女士
These men are from the FBI.
这两位是联调局的
They just want to ask you a couple questions.
他们只想问你几个问题
Have you been following the investigation?
你关注这案子的调查了吗
Can't look at that. Poor girl.
不忍心看 可怜的孩子
Wouldn't hurt a fly. You knew her?
连苍蝇都不伤害 你认识她
Can we ask how you knew her?
能问下你怎么认识她的吗
She was almost our babysitter. Almost?
她差点成了我们的保姆 差点
Mrs. Moran?
莫兰女士
We talked with her about it.
我们和她商量过
When she left, Alvin wouldn't shut up about the girl.
她走的时候 埃尔文一直念叨着那女孩
Meaning?
什么意思
You know what I mean.
你知道什么意思
It's best if we don't have to guess, ma'am.
我们最好不要妄加猜测 女士
She was young, and skinny, and...
她年轻 又苗条
Oh, such pretty blonde hair."
"那头金发真美" "
Didn't need that in my house.
我家可不需要这档子事
Not with two little kids in the picture.
还有两个孩子呢
What do I look like?
瞧我都人老珠黄了
Were you aware that your husband made overtures to Beverly
你知道你丈夫在不同场合数次向贝芙莉
on several occasions?
主动示好吗
Didn't I just say he had a thing for the poor girl?
我刚不就说了他对那个可怜的女孩有意思吗
Alvin does this.
埃尔文就是这样
It's like sportfishing. He doesn't mean anything by it.
就像垂钓一样 他没什么恶意
We were told he was home with you watching television
我们得知贝芙莉失踪那天晚上 你和他在家
the night Beverly disappeared.
一起看电视
You think Alvin did this?
你们觉得是埃尔文干的
Oh! No.
不
I mean, I'd love for him to get a good scare,
我很乐意他被吓一吓
bothering a girl half his age,
毕竟他在骚扰一个只有他一半大的女孩
but... no.
但...不
The idiot was with me.
那蠢货和我在一起
The whole night?
整晚吗
The whole night.
整晚
Okay, her husband made a pass at a younger woman.
好吧 她丈夫对一个年轻女人示好
He's an idiot.
他是个蠢货
But so are a million other men.
但还有成千上万这样的男人
I don't see any of the anger you've been talking about.
我没有看出任何你说的那种愤怒
So lo and behold, we're back to the fiancé.
真想不到 我们又绕回到未婚夫身上了
Follow your own logic, Bill.
遵循你自己的逻辑 比尔
The anger makes no sense in a young couple either.
结婚不久的夫妇之间也不可能有这样的愤怒
This could be the first killing in a sequence.
这可能是连续杀人案的第一起
Nine times out of ten, it's the boyfriend,
这种案子十有八♥九都是男朋友
the husband, somebody close.
丈夫 或是其他熟人做的
Nine times isn't every time, Bill.
十有八♥九不是全部 比尔
Listen, uh...
听我说
Can't say how much I appreciate all your help.
难以形容我多么感激你们的帮助
Sorry if I got off a little shaky there at the start.
抱歉刚开始的时候我有点靠不住
I'm gonna stick with Alvin,
我会继续查埃尔文
if it's all the same, keep you posted.
如果有情况 我再通知你们
So you're in the middle of an ongoing investigation?
你们在参与一起正在进行中的调查
A local detective asked for our help. What else could we do?
一个当地警探找我们帮忙 我们还能怎么办
Tell them you have more important things to do with your time.
告诉他你们有更重要的事要做
We've been consulting with local cops for years.
我们多年来一直在给地方警方当顾问
No reason to change that now.
没理由现在停下
My assumption is you're good at your job.
我默认你们都很擅长自己的工作
Which means you're gonna be
也就是说
more focused on solving an actual crime
相对我们在做的理论研究
than the theoretical work we're doing here.
你们会更注重侦破实际的案件
And that's bad? It's not a question of good or bad.
这不好吗 这不是好不好的问题
We can't end crime, no matter what we do.
我们无论做什么 都无法消灭犯罪
But in the long run, I think that our project
但从长远来看 我认为我们的项目
could have a deeper impact than solving a single murder.
比破一个案子的影响更深远
We can do both. It's not an issue.
二者可以同时进行 不是问题
So what jumped out when you were talking to Rissell?
那和里塞尔的对话中有什么值得注意的吗
He seems aware of the trap of his childhood.
他好像很清楚童年带给他的影响
How things might be different
说要是他能和父亲待在一起
if he was allowed to stay with his dad.
情况可能会完全不一样
Kemper said something similar. Didn't he?
坎伯也说了类似的话 不是吗
They're both playing the victim, looking for sympathy.
他们都在装受害者 寻求同情
I think it's more complicated than that.
我觉得要更复杂一点
I think you're both right. I mean, it's self pity, absolutely.
我觉得你们俩都对 首先这肯定是自怜自哀
And the psychopath understands how that plays to his audience.
而精神病患也知道受众对此会作何反应
Exactly. But the complicated part
没错 但复杂的地方在于
is that they actually believe it. They have to.
他们真的相信这一点 他们必须相信
I mean, if they admitted that they rape and murder for pleasure,
因为要他们承认强♥奸和杀人能给他们带来快♥感
it would destroy them.
那会击垮他们的
There's a tension.
这里有个矛盾
They need to be seen to have power over someone,
他们想人看到他们能够掌控别人
and yet circumstance demands that they erase the only witness,
但现实却要求他们清除唯一的目击者
which means they have to do the whole thing over again.
也就是说他们得从头再来一次
It must be hell.
那一定很煎熬
So the self pity angle works.
所以自怜的角度是说得通的
You have sympathy for both of them.
你对他们俩都怀有同情
Yeah, of course. How else could I do my job?
当然 不然我还怎么继续做研究
Do Kemper and Rissell have other common traits?
坎伯和里塞尔还有其他共同点吗
Is that what you're doing with these cards,
这就是你用这些卡片在做的事
figuring out similarities?
寻找相似点
And differences. I've been going through their files.
和区别 我一直在看这些文件
I'm trying to frame an overall taxonomy,
我正试图做一个分类
except I don't know where to start.
但不知道从哪开始
Start with the crime scene.
从犯罪现场开始
Kemper's like a general, planning his campaigns.
坎伯就像个将军 计划着他的战役
But Rissell... Didn't intend to kill his first victim.
但里塞尔 本来都没想杀害第一个受害人
All of his victims seem spontaneous.
他每次杀人好像都是即兴的
He just walks away when he's done.
每次作完案就走人
Whereas Kemper took photographs, and dissected the victims,
但坎伯就会拍照 解剖尸体
and was very good at hiding the remains.
而且非常善于隐藏遗骸
So could we say "Systematic" and "Anti systematic"?
那我们能说"有系统的"和"无系统的"吗
Maybe something a little less...
或者应该用更不...
Something even a beat cop could understand straight away.
那种普通巡警都能即刻理解的词
Right. Like "organized" and "disorganized."
没错 比如"有组织的"和"无组织的"
Okay. Let's try it.
好吧 我们来试试
What goes where?
怎么分呢
高智商
High intelligence" would go under "Organized."
"高智商"应该属于"有组织的" "
Low intelligence": "Disorganized."
"低智商"属于"无组织的" "
低智商
What do you think? Definitely.
你觉得呢 完全正确
The class is great,
课程很棒
but he's a little obsessed with the meaning of shit.
但他有点执迷于"屎"的意思
Does shit have meaning?
"屎"还有意思
All shit has meaning, man.
所有东西[屎]都有意思 老兄
Is that her?
是她吗
No. Wendy's more...
不是 温迪更...
not that.
反正不是那样
Look at you.
你瞧你
Dr. Wendy has you all nervous. Should I be jealous?
温迪博士让你这么紧张 我该吃醋吗
Would I have invited her
要是我对她有兴趣
to go out with us if I was interested in her?
我还会请她来和我们喝酒吗
I've seen men do stranger things.
我见过男人做出更奇怪的事情
So she's married. How does that follow?
所以她已经结婚了 这你怎么看出来的
If you're not interested, she must be married.
你对她不感兴趣 那她肯定是结婚了
For a man who picks up strange women in bars,
你虽然在酒吧勾搭陌生女人
you have your scruples.
但你还是有下限的
Thank you.
谢谢
I don't think she is married.
我觉得她没有结婚
That's her.
是她
No.
不是
Do you plan on getting married?
你打算结婚吗
Having kids, the whole thing?
生孩子 之类的
Are you proposing, Holden Ford?
你这是在求婚吗 霍尔登·福特
Just curious.
只是好奇
Your parents have a good marriage? I have no idea.
你父母婚姻幸福吗 我不知道
Where's this coming from? The study.
怎么想起问这个了 研究
We're talking a lot about parents.
我们最近常常在谈父母
Harsh mothers, absent fathers.
母亲严苛 父亲缺席
All fathers are absent fathers.
所有的父亲都是缺席父亲
That's definitely her.
那个绝对是她
No.
不是
Hello.
你们好
Hi.
你好
Wendy Carr. Deborah Mitford.
我是温迪·卡尔 黛博拉·米特福德
It's a pleasure.
幸会
Thank you so much for the invitation.
多谢你们邀请我
It was unexpected, but appreciated.
虽说没想到 但还是多谢了
Yeah, for a fed, he's not so bad at having a good time.
是啊 想不到他一个条子这么会找乐子
Are you in law enforcement also?
你也是执法部门的吗
No, I'm doing postgrad, actually.
不 我其实在读研究生
Sociology at UVA. What's your concentration?
在弗大读社会学 研究方向是什么
Social deviance. So... Durkheim?
社会越轨 读涂尔干的书
Yes. Oh, God.
是 天哪
Just because I didn't know who Durkheim was...
就算我不知道涂尔干是谁
Or Goring, or Blumer. It's fine.
以及格林和布鲁默 都没关系
查尔斯·格林 犯罪学先驱赫伯特·布鲁默 美国社会学家
I'm not intimidated being around women who are smarter than me.
我不会因为我身边的女性比我聪明而感到威胁
Men often say that, but they rarely mean it.
男人常常这么说 但几乎都是在说谎
Holden means it.
霍尔登是说真的
He has a lot of flaws, but surprisingly, that's not one of them.
他缺点不少 但这一点上他还真不错
I'm... Excuse me. Yes.
我 请来一下 请讲
Could I get a Manhattan? And will you have another round?
能给我来杯曼哈顿吗 你们俩要不要续杯
Yeah, thank you. Yeah.
好的 多谢 好的
So he called you directly?
他直接联♥系你了
No, Andrea called. Said he wanted to meet with us.
没有 安德里亚打的 说他想见咱们
Any idea what this is about?
知道是因为什么事吗
No. Usually, it's about finding clarity.
不知道 不过一般是为了把话说清楚
But he asked for me specifically?
但他特地要求我也来了
All three of us.
我们三个都来
Come in.
请进
Dr. Carr, Unit Chief Shepard.
卡尔博士 我是部门主管谢帕德
Nice to meet you finally.
终于有幸见到您了
You as well.
见到您也很荣幸
Sit, please. All of you.
坐吧 大家都请坐
So, how's everything? Progressing?
一切都好吧 进展顺利吧
Uh, yes, thank you.
挺好的 谢谢
Fine, thanks. Slowly, but yes.
挺好的 进展不快 但挺好的
Can I help with anything?
有什么我帮得上的地方吗
Is there anything I need to know?
有什么需要我知道的情况吗
Sir, if this is about the car... Nobody cares about the car.
长官 如果是关于那车 谁在乎车
It was insured and I assume driven by your protégé.
车险也买了 而且我猜是你徒弟在开车吧
It's not important who was driving. I agree.
谁开车都不重要 我同意
Dr. Carr, I'm aware of your consulting with Bill over the years
卡尔博士 我知道你给比尔提供咨询多年了
and your help framing
而且你帮助
certain psychological concepts with the BSU.
行为科学部厘清了一些心理学概念
Uh, yes, a handful of times. Special Agent Tench was...
是的 就几次 特别探员比尔·坦奇曾经
I assume that meant you
那我想这就意味着
understood how things were done here at Quantico.
你明白匡提科这边做事的规矩
I assumed the same for your cohorts.
我认为你的同事也知道
You might think it is my job to impede your progress
你们或许以为我的工作就是碍你们的事
with my insistence on timelines and established protocols.
拿工期啊规章制度什么的限制你们
No, sir. Not at all. That is not my job.
没有长官 绝没有 那不是我的工作
My job is to provide guidance and quite a bit of protection.
我的工作是提供指导 以及一定程度的保护
I don't understand. Clearly.
我不明白 明摆着
You have stepped outside the shade of my umbrella
你们走出了我的保护伞
and you are now exposed to direct sunlight.
现在已经暴露在阳光下了
I applied for grant money from several sources
我向多个机构申请了大笔拨款
anticipating a response months from now.
想着怎么也得几个月才有回音吧
Much to my surprise,
结果出乎我意料的是
the Law Enforcement Assistance Administration was already aware
执法协助管理局已经听说了
of our needs and activities.
我们的需要和活动
I see. I had no intention
我明白了 我无意
of embarrassing you, Unit Chief Shepard.
让您尴尬 谢帕德部长
I was at a fund raiser for the university
我参加了一个大学募款会
and I was talking to some...
而我和几个人谈...
Yes, talking to people outside the FBI
是啊 和外人谈联调局内部的事
about something you were not even supposed to be aware of.
谈你甚至都没有资格知道的事
The LEAA explained that the application was anticipated.
执管局解释说他们已经知道我们的申请
How could that be, I wondered.
我就好奇啊 怎么知道的呢
It seems they know more about what's going on in our basement
似乎他们对我们地下室里进行的一切
than I was comfortable including in the application.
比我放心写进申请书里的知道的还多
I so apologize. It... Sir, this is my fault.
我非常抱歉 长官 都是我的错
Your research has been awarded $200,000.
你们的研究获得了20万拨款
What? There's more.
什么 还有呢
As I said, I applied to more than one place for funding.
我说了 我向不止一家机构申请了拨款
The National Institute of Justice heard about the LEAA,
国家司法研究所也听说了执管局的拨款
and they are in competition,
于是他们也出手了
so the NIJ has awarded you an additional $185,000.
司研所又拨给你们18.5万元
You can't be serious.
你开玩笑呢吧
This amount of money comes with considerable scrutiny.
跟着钱来的就是严厉的监管
And I'm not talking about bookkeeping as such,
我说的可不是做做账那种
although you will certainly
当然你们肯定会
be required to keep meticulous records.
被要求进行周密的书面记录
I'm talking about Congress
我说的可是国会
having a real interest in everything we do.
对我们的研究非常感兴趣
So much for the protection I might have afforded you.
所以我的保护就到此为止了
Congratulations, I suppose.
看来该祝贺你们
Have a nice day.
祝你们愉快