审问众人但悬案未解 妹妹纠结内心终坦白
His given name is Benjamin Barnwright,
他本名叫本杰明·巴恩莱特
but everybody calls him Benji.
但大家都叫他小本
宾夕法尼亚州阿尔图纳
Came back to town, just like I told you he would.
刚回到镇上 我就说他会回来的
Benji was home watching TV the night Beverly Jean was killed?
贝芙莉·简遇害当晚 小本正在家看电视吗
That's what he told us and I believe him.
他是这么说的 我相信他
He let us search his car, no warrant.
没搜查令 他就让我们搜了他的车
And we didn't find a thing
我们什么都没找到
except for some of Beverly Jean's hair,
除了贝芙莉·简的一些头发
but in the passenger seat, like you'd expect it.
但你也能料到 是在副驾驶座发现的
Passenger seat's not the best way
放副驾驶座上可不是
to transport a corpse, I'll give you that.
转移尸体的好方法 这点我承认
But you said he was home alone watching TV?
但你说他独自在家看电视
That's not much of an alibi. Why?
这可不算不在场证明 为什么
Isn't that what most people do most nights of the week?
大部分人晚上不都这样做吗
Benjamin is definitely most people.
本杰明绝不是另类
He's worked the same job ever since high school,
他自从高中起就做同一份工作
A&P超市给杂货装袋 bagging groceries at the A&P.
在
A&P工作 他能接触到送货车吗 Works at the A&P? Does he have access to a delivery vehicle?
在
Nope. Only works the floor.
不能 他只在卖场工作
Is he expecting us?
他知道我们要来吗
He's in mourning, I thought it'd be polite to let him know.
他还在哀悼 我觉得通知一声比较礼貌
We should've brought a six pack.
我们该带半打啤酒来的
Can I get you some coffee? Sure.
你们喝咖啡吗 好啊
It's instant. None for me, thanks.
是速溶的 我不要 谢了
I'll wait.
我等着
I got some donuts, too. Half glazed, half cake.
我还买了甜甜圈 半盒原味 半盒糖霜
I'd love a donut. Thanks, Benjamin.
我来个甜甜圈 谢谢 本杰明
Thanks for meeting with us, Mr. Barnwright.
谢谢你见我们 巴恩莱特先生
Benjamin.
叫我本杰明就行
I'm Bill Tench, this is Holden Ford.
我是比尔·坦奇 这位是霍尔登·福特
We're with the FBI.
我们是联调局的
He told me you'll be helping with the case.
他跟我说你们会协助破案
We're sorry about your girlfriend.
你女友的事我们很遗憾
I still can't believe it.
我还不敢相信
How long were you with her? Eighteen months.
你们在一起多久了 18个月
So this was pretty serious.
看来挺认真的
We just got engaged.
我们刚订婚
Big step.
重要一步
I knew she was it when I met her. How'd you know?
我见到她时就知道她是真命天女 怎么知道的
We saw things the same way.
我们对事物看法一致
And you're how old? Twenty six.
你多大了 26岁
You play sports in high school?
你在高中玩体育吗
I'm guessing not the football team.
我猜你肯定不是橄榄球队的
Band? Debate? No.
玩乐队 参加辩论 不
Then what did you do?
那你做什么
I... nothing.
什么都不做
Well, you're doing good now. Got your own place and everything.
你现在做得很好 有了自己的房子
Got this place for Beverly Jean.
这房子是为贝芙莉·简准备的
She ask you to move?
她叫你搬家的吗
I wanted us to have some privacy.
我想让我们有些隐私
Where were you before?
你之前住哪儿
A few blocks over on Chestnut.
几个街区外的切斯纳特街
With your family? Uh, with my mom.
跟家人住吗 跟我妈住
It must have been hard on her, seeing you leave home.
那她看你离开家一定很难过吧
I think she was happy to see me move on.
我觉得她很高兴看到我开始新人生了
She loved Beverly Jean as much as I did.
她和我一样喜欢贝芙莉·简
Mrs. Barnwright goes to my church, too. First United Methodist.
巴恩莱特女士也来我们教堂 第一联合卫理公会
So you two know each other from church?
所以你们是在教堂认识的吗
Yeah. You and Rose.
对 你还有罗斯
Mostly by sight now. I don't go much anymore.
现在只是面熟 我不怎么去教堂了
Was your mother a disciplinarian?
你母亲严奉纪律吗
You mean strict?
你是说严厉吗
Yeah. She crack the whip?
对 她严格管教你吗
She just cried.
她只是大叫
Well, I'm sure it was difficult raising two kids without a dad.
父亲不在 她独自养育两个孩子肯定不容易
Yeah, he split when I was ten.
是啊 我10岁时他就走了
What was your father like? I don't much remember him.
你父亲什么样 我对他没什么印象
You and Beverly Jean ever fight?
你和贝芙莉·简吵过架吗
Perfectly normal for a young couple.
年轻情侣吵架再正常不过
Sometimes.
有时吧
What'd you fight about?
都为了什么吵架
Just stupid stuff.
就是些蠢事
Like what?
比如什么
Like, uh...
比如
what movie to go to.
去看什么电影
Any nerves around the engagement? No, sir.
订婚这件事上闹僵过吗 没有
You got this place for her? Did she like it?
你为她准备的这房子 她喜欢吗
She, uh...
她...
She wanted to make it pretty when she moved in.
她想等搬进来后布置得漂漂亮亮的
When was that gonna be?
什么时候搬进来
After the wedding. Traditional, huh?
婚礼之后 真传统啊
Yeah. Was that for your mother?
对 是为了你母亲吗
That was just to keep it proper.
只是想妥当点
Was she saving herself for marriage?
她婚前都在守身吗
Well, maybe she didn't want to wait.
也许她不想等
Girls like fooling around just as much as boys.
女孩和男孩一样喜欢到处留情
That's okay, Benjamin.
没关系 本杰明
We understand, that's...
我们理解 这...
That's private.
这是隐私
We'll keep it private.
我们不会说出去
Well...
这个...
Beverly Jean was, uh, my...
贝芙莉·简是我...
first, uh...
第一个...
Your first sexual experience? Yeah
第一个发生性♥关♥系的人 对
But she was nice.
但她很体贴
I don't know what all this has to do with what happened to her...
我不知道这跟她的遭遇有什么关系
Listen, Benjamin. We're from a particular unit of the FBI.
听着 本杰明 我们是联调局一个特殊部门的
We investigate murders when there's a sexual angle.
我们调查涉及性因素的谋杀案
It may be unpleasant, but it's what we do.
可能令人不太愉快 但这是我们的工作
It's awful, what was done to her.
她的遭遇太可怕了
Does he know?
他知道吗
Mark, seriously?
马克 你不是吧
He only knows about the breasts. It was another officer...
他只知道胸部的事 是另一个警官...
It's hard keeping this quiet.
这事很难保密
I want to talk to Mrs. Barnwright.
我想和巴恩莱特夫人谈谈
Should we stop at a pay phone, give her a heads up, too?
我们要不要也找个公共电话 提前给她说一声
That'd be fair. What about the tears?
可以 那眼泪呢
I didn't buy them. Think he was faking?
我是不信的 你觉得他是假哭吗
Seemed a bit much. Given what he's been through?
似乎有点过头了 他可是经历了那种事
It sure got us out of there.
反正是让我们离开了
He's obviously a mama's boy.
他显然是个妈宝
Or he knows how to play one.
也可能是他知道怎么扮演妈宝
What do you mean?
你什么意思
He was a virgin? He serves donuts?
他之前是处♥男 给我们提供甜甜圈
All of that could have been rehearsed,
这一切都可以预演
especially since he knew we were coming.
尤其是他知道我们会来
Benjamin has never seemed like a performer to me.
我从没觉得本杰明像表演者
Two Feds in your living room would make anybody nervous.
两个联邦探员造访会让任何人紧张
Look at him, you think he could have easily moved a body?
看看他 你觉得他能轻松挪动尸体吗
Not without bursting into tears.
得先哭一场
I always worried about Benjamin.
我一向担心本杰明
He was living with you when he met Beverly Jean?
他遇见贝芙莉·简的时候 和你住一起吗
He was so excited to have a girlfriend.
他特别开心有了女朋友
Did she reciprocate those feelings?
她也有同样的感觉吗
He said that she was crazy about him.
他说她对他痴狂
Did you meet her? Of course.
你见过她吗 当然
What were they like together?
他们在一起是什么样子
Well, they were... normal.
挺正常的
She teased him a lot.
她经常逗他
He pretended not to enjoy it, but I know he did.
他假装无感 但我知道他其实喜欢得很
Benjamin told us the two of them argued sometimes.
本杰明跟我们说他俩偶尔会吵架
Did you see him?
你去见过他了吗
This morning.
今天早上
Is he in trouble?
他有麻烦了吗
We're just going over the case again,
我们只是在重新调查这件案子
talking to everyone who knew Beverly Jean.
和认识贝芙莉·简的每个人谈话
Well... I never heard them argue.
我从没听到过他们吵架
Benjamin is soft, you know.
本杰明很温和
What was he like as a kid?
他小时候是什么样的
He was always sensitive. But when his father ran off, he just...
他总是很善解人意 但当他爸爸出走后 他就...
What do you mean?
什么意思
Well... he started to cry a lot, wet the bed.
他开始经常哭 尿床
He wouldn't leave the house. That must have been difficult.
不愿出门 那一定很艰难
I had to leave the kids on their own a lot.
我那时经常不得不留孩子们独自在家
Rose helped out, but she was just so little.
罗斯会帮忙 但她实在太小了
Those were hard years. I did a lot of praying.
那些年很不容易 我经常祈祷
But then Rose met Frank and he moved in with us.
但之后罗斯认识了弗兰克 他搬来和我们住
Frank Janderman.
弗兰克·詹德曼
That's right.
没错
They just had a baby, you know.
他们刚有了个小孩
Your first grandchild?
你第一个孙子
Congratulations.
恭喜
People talked about Frank back then,
那时人们会议论弗兰克
but I never listened to all that.
但我从不听
I loved him from the first time I met him. I still do.
我从第一次见到他起就一直喜欢他 现在也没变
Did Benjamin feel the same way?
本杰明也是这种感觉吗
Well, he started to go out, you know.
他开始出门
He became friends with Frank.
和弗兰克成了朋友
Frank protected him.
弗兰克保护他
He wouldn't let anyone near Rose.
他不会让任何人靠近罗斯
He even got Benji a job so I didn't have to work two shifts.
他甚至给小本找了份工作 好让我不用倒两班
Sometimes Rose said I loved him more than she did.
有时罗斯说我比她更爱他
When was this?
什么时候的事
Well, uh... they got married at 18,
他们18岁结的婚
so Rose must have been...
所以罗斯当时应该是
at the time.
15, 16
Frank moved in. Why?
弗兰克搬进来住 为什么
Well, I don't remember.
我不记得了
He had some problems at home with his father, as young boys do.
他和他爸有点矛盾 男孩子都这样
But he got them their own place when they married.
但他们结婚时他给他们买了房子
And Benjamin lived at home with you until he met Beverly Jean?
本杰明遇到贝芙莉·简前一直和你住吗
It's been a strange time.
这是段很奇怪的日子
We were so happy that Rose and Frank were having a baby,
我们很高兴罗斯和弗兰克要有小孩了
and then Benjamin loses his love in such a horrible way.
然后本杰明以这么惨痛的方式失去了他的爱
Like mother, like son.
有其母必有其子
You think there's a gene for crying?
你觉得爱哭也会遗传吗
I keep wondering why Beverly was with him in the first place.
我一直在想为什么贝芙莉会跟他在一起
She might have liked that he was older,
她可能喜欢他比她年长
easy to talk to. He's sensitive.
容易交流 他很善解人意
Half glazed, half cake"?
"半盒原味 半盒糖霜" "
Sure.
当然
I bet Beverly had poor old pipsqueak Benji
我打赌贝芙莉肯定用性
wrapped around her golden triangle.
把可怜的小本吃得死死的
Maybe she wanted a nice guy with a steady income who loved her.
或许她想要一个爱她又有稳定收入的好男人
Whatever you say, Ocasek.
随你怎么说 奥卡塞克
What's that?
你说什么
We were just saying there's not much here.
我们在说这里没什么线索
I assured Mrs. Barnwright this was a formality.
我跟巴恩莱特夫人保证这只是走程序
It's not a formality. Well, I can tell her it is.
这不是走程序 我可以跟她说这就是
So where does this leave us?
那我们现在该怎么办
There's still Alvin.
还有埃尔文
You don't want it to be someone in the community.
你不希望凶手是这里的人
Neither of you do.
你们都不希望
Who drives all this way to come to some rust belt town?
谁会大老远开车到这个落后小镇
If you're hunting for girls, you got big cities.
如果想猎杀女生 可以去大城市
You got freeways with hitchhikers.
高速路上也有搭便车的人
Why choose a place like this?
谁会选这么个地方
How would a drifter know where the dump is?
外人怎么会知道垃圾场在哪
There you are.
你们来了
I got all kinds of fun things for you to look over.
我有各种各样的有趣东西给你们看
Paperwork?
文书吗
Yeah, it's hardly sexy,
没有什么特别的
but I'm trying to put together a list of questions
但我试着总结出一个问题清单
for the killers that you interview.
供你们和罪犯面谈时用
Things like family history, mood,
比如家庭背景 情绪
thought patterns before, during, and after the crime.
犯罪前 犯罪中和犯罪后的思维模式
This is just a first draft,
这只是初稿
but look it over and let me know what you think.
你们看一下给我个反馈
Shouldn't we tailor the interviews
我们能不能根据凶手的个性
based on the killer's personality?
定制谈话内容呢
You mean just wing it?
你是说只用即兴发挥吗
With these guys, we need to look for different ways in.
不同的凶手需要不同的切入方式
Yes, but we still need a data set
没错 但我们还是需要
that's consistent across all our subjects.
收集所有受访对象共有的数据集
You leaving?
你要走了吗
Back to Boston. You just got here.
回波士顿 你才刚到这里
Well, until you conduct more interviews,
在你们没有进行更多约谈前
there's really nothing for me to do here.
我在这里也无事可做
We had a really interesting conversation
我们和阿尔图纳那个受害者的未婚夫
with the fiancé of that victim in Altoona.
进行了一场很有意思的谈话
I got a taxi waiting. Cancel it. I'll drive you.
计程车在等我 取消 我开车送你
Let me take your bag. Thank you.
我帮你拿包 谢谢
He lost it. I've never seen a guy cry like that.
他崩溃了 我从没看过一个男的哭成这样
Bill was skeptical.
比尔很怀疑
But you believed him? It looked real.
但你相信他吗 看起来很真
Well, how did it feel? I mean, were you moved?
你是什么感觉 被感动了吗
Did you want to comfort him? I wanted him to stop.
你想安慰他吗 我希望他不要再哭了
Why'd you want him to stop?
为什么你想让他停止哭泣
I don't know, maybe I'm just callous.
说不清 或许我比较冷酷吧
Try a little harder, Holden.
再想想 霍尔登
It felt wrong.
我觉得不对劲
Benjamin was blubbering like a baby,
本杰明像个小孩一样大哭
but it didn't seem vulnerable.
但感觉他并不脆弱
It felt hostile.
我感觉他怀有敌意
You know, psychopaths are
知道吗 精神病患
extremely skilled at imitating human emotions.
都极善于模仿人类的情感
It's how they manipulate other people
这就是他们操控他人
or how they gain power over their environment.
或是主导环境的方式
How do they understand emotions if they don't have them?
如果他们没有这些情感 如何去理解它们呢
Well, they have emotions.
他们是有情感的
They just don't believe other people have them.
他们只是不相信其他人有同样的情感
Or more specifically,
更具体地说
they don't believe that other people have interior lives.
他们不认为其他人有内在灵魂
How do we sniff them out?
那我们怎么辨别他们呢
Well, it seems like you just did. Trust your instincts.
你似乎已经分辨出了 相信自己的直觉
The whole town sees Benjamin
整个镇子的人都把本杰明
as this lost little puppy that needs protecting.
当成一只需要保护的小狗狗
Maybe my instincts are wrong.
或许我的直觉错了
Well, we're developing a methodology, so use it.
我们既然总结了一套方法 那就好好利用
Look at where the perpetrator went.
看看凶手下手的部位
Hair, breasts, vagina, all symbols of her sexual power.
头发 胸部 阴♥道 全都是她的性别象征
Disfiguring her reproductive organs was a way to neutralize her.
破坏她的生殖器官是想剥夺她的性别
What about the hair on the ironing board?
那在烫衣板上的头发呢
Was that some kind of display?
是炫耀吗
Like a trophy. A way to assert his dominance.
就像战利品一样 一种宣示自己主♥权的方式
Benjamin is anything but assertive.
本杰明看上去并没有自信
Beverly's the first woman he slept with.
贝芙莉是第一个和他发生性♥关♥系的女人
How old is he? Twenty six.
他多大 26岁
So that would give the relationship an extra significance.
所以这段关系就有了额外的重要含义
Bill thinks the only reason she was with him
比尔认为她和他在一起的唯一原因就是
is because she has total sexual control over him.
她在性方面能完全控制他
Well, what's her history? Was she a virgin, too?
那她的过去呢 她之前也是处女吗
He was touchy about that.
他对这个问题很敏感
So then she had some experience,
那她之前有过一些性经验
which could either excite or threaten him.
这可能会让他更兴奋或让他感到威胁
In the photo, she looks like the girl next door.
从照片来看 她就像邻家女孩一般
You really believe that a young, pretty girl
你真觉得年轻漂亮的姑娘
can't be manipulative?
就不会有操控欲吗
Even if she was using sex to control him,
就算她是利用性控制他
and you have absolutely no evidence for this,
你对此也根本没有证据
then it would be what many women do
很多女性都是通过这种方式
to have an ounce of power in this world.
在这个世界上获取一点权力
Fine, but if it went too far,
好吧 但如果太过火
if something happened and Benjamin snapped,
如果发生了什么事 本杰明失控了
could feelings of impotence explain his rage?
这种无力感能解释他的愤怒吗
Could it explain him going back four days later
能解释他为什么四天后回到那里
to cut her up like you said,
破坏尸体 如你所说
as an attempt to assert control? Possibly.
确立自己的控制权 有可能
But then wouldn't the rape already have accomplished that?
不过强♥奸不就已经做到了吗
Accomplish control? Exactly.
确立控制权 对
In all the crimes we've studied, there's never been an example
我们研究的所有案件里 没有一例受害者
of a victim being raped then depersonalized.
既被强♥奸又被抹去人格
If the killer mutilates her after death,
如果凶手在她死后破坏尸体
then he usually commits sexual acts after death as well.
那他通常会是在受害者死后对其性侵
To make up for his sense of inadequacy while she was still alive.
弥补她在世时让他感受到的无能感
It's like there's two different presentations in this crime scene.
这个犯罪现场似乎有两种不同的呈现方式
Anybody picking you up in Boston?
波士顿有人接你吗
I'll grab a cab. Bye.
我会叫个出租车的 再见
What are you...
你在...
Up to? Studying.
干什么 学习
Pulling an all nighter.
准备通宵
C·莱特·米尔斯和权力精英的论文 Writing a paper on C. Wright Mills and the power elite.
写一篇关于
美国社会学家
Due tomorrow.
明天要交
It's about the people who really run this country.
关于这个国家真正的统治者
Hardly what our democracy is supposed to be about.
和我们的民♥主制背道而驰
Are you okay? What?
你没事吧 什么
You seem... Oh. My friend gave me some diet pills.
你看起来... 我朋友给了我一些减肥药
Really? Speed actually makes this interesting.
真的吗 见效还挺快的
May I see those?
可以给我看看吗
Great for concentration, keeps you totally focused.
对集中注意力很有效 让你保持完全专注
Beer? Coffee? Tea? Is this legal?
喝啤酒 咖啡还是茶 这个药合法吗
Out comes the narc.
缉毒警察来了
We were digging into his relationship
我们在问他和未婚妻的关系
with the fiancé and he burst into tears.
他就突然大哭
Bill thought he was bullshitting,
比尔觉得他在演戏
but psychopaths are extremely skilled
但精神病患者非常擅长
at imitating human emotions.
模拟正常人的情感
I once went crying to my professor.
我有次就对我教授哭过
You fake cried?
你还装哭
Made up an elaborate story
编了一个逼真的故事
about my dad in some horrendous accident.
说我爸出了非常严重的事故
When was this? My freshman year.
什么时候的事 大一
I was partying a little too much, almost flunked out of school.
我玩趴玩得有点过了 差点退学
The interesting thing was,
有趣的是
while I was lying, I actually started believing it.
我撒谎的时候 我自己都开始信了
C Made for a good show. He raised my grade to a C.
效果可逼真了 他把我的分数提到了
Your teacher was male. So?
你教授是个男的 所以呢
Women crying to men always works. Men to men?
女人对男人哭总是管用 可男人对男人哭
Not my point. Why were you drinking so much?
这不是我的重点 你为什么喝这么多酒
I wanted to fit in. I wanted to be wild and crazy.
我想融入进去 我想狂野一点
Why? I was tired of always thinking.
为什么 我思考累了
Don't you get tired of thinking? No.
你整天想事情不累吗 不累
And it made it easier to sleep with people.
而且我跟人上床也更容易
How many people did you sleep with? Let's not.
你睡过几个人 别问了
A lot? What difference does that make?
很多吗 多少有什么区别
Just curious. And judgmental.
只是好奇 你还有偏见
Five...
五个
Ten... This is getting tedious.
十个 你真无聊
Ten? Holden... I'm not doing this.
十个吗 霍尔登 我不跟你说这个
Ten.
真是十个
Jesus. I know. What do we do?
天啊 我知道 该怎么办
Hell, pick him up. What do I tell him?
把他抓来 我怎么跟他说
Don't tell him anything.
什么都别说
Let him stew for a few hours until we get there.
先晾他几小时 等我们赶过去
Okay.
好的
Ocasek looked into Frank Janderman.
奥卡塞克查了弗兰克·詹德曼
Apparently, in high school, he was sent to a psychiatric hospital
据说他在高中进过精神病院
for taking a monkey wrench to a girl.
因为他拿扳手打女生
Frank Janderman? Rose's husband.
弗兰克·詹德曼 罗斯的丈夫
We should get this on tape.
我们应该录下来
So I got to thinking, why did Mrs. Barnwright
所以我就在想 为什么巴恩莱特女士
say people were talking about Frank back then?
之前说人们在议论弗兰克
What were they talking about, right? Right.
他们在议论什么 对
So I talked to this family court judge who's a friend of mine.
所以我跟一个有交情的家庭法庭法官谈了
Sure enough, he remembers the case.
当然了 他记得这件案子
Since Frank was a juvenile when the assault occurred,
因为弗兰克犯案的时候还是个未成年
the court sealed the records.
法庭就把案卷封存了
Fortunately, the judge is a very good friend of mine.
幸运的是这个法官跟我的交情真的很好
Here's what we've got on Frank's hearing,
这就是弗兰克听证会的资料
and his time at Warren State.
以及他在精神病院的记录
Nice work, Mark.
干得漂亮 马克
This is where your community system pays off.
你的社交圈子可帮了大忙了
He's been back here since nine. Maybe we should...
他九点就到这了 要不我们...
Let him wait.
让他等着
Why don't we have a cup of coffee?
我们先喝杯咖啡再说
If Frank's a hothead,
如果弗兰克是个急性子
it'll irritate him, throw him off.
这样能激怒他 让他自乱阵脚
Class of '71?
71届的
Yep. You go to your five year reunion?
是 你每五年还去一次同学聚会吗
I don't really keep up with that stuff.
那种事我不怎么上心
It's commendable that you graduated,
你能毕业也挺了不起的
seeing as how you missed your junior year.
毕竟你高二都没上学
What do you want from me? I've been here all day.
你们还想要我怎样 我都在这耗了一天了
I answered all your questions last week.
上周你们都讯问过我了
We just have a few more.
我们还有问题要问
You've got everyone in a tizzy.
你让大家都慌得不行
You mean Benjamin? Yeah.
你是说本杰明 是
The whole family. Me, my wife, mom.
还有全家 我 我老婆 我妈
You scared the shit out of Benji.
你们更是把小本快吓死了
I'm sorry if we scared everyone.
抱歉吓到你们了
And for keeping you for so long.
以及让你等了这么久