当你观察综合格斗这项运动时
When you look at the sport f mixed martial arts,
会发现奇怪现象
there's a mysterious element to it.
如果两人走进铁笼战斗 决出一位胜者
If two people enter a cage and there can be only one winner,
双方获胜的概率应该差不多各占50%
the odds of victory should be roughly 50/50.
如果你查看的是
And if you look at the career
大部分综合格斗运动员的生涯战绩平均值
of the average mixed martial arts athlete,
那么 50%的概率是很正确的
that's exactly what happens.
他们有赢 有输 赢一场 输一场
They win one, they lose one. They win one, they lose one.
但 他们中的冠军就不一样
But then there are the champions.
有人会问“是什么让冠军与众不同?”
And one has to ask:"What makes them different?"
我曾经给初学者上过柔术课
I used to teach a beginner's class.
向人们介绍柔术这项运动
We would introduce people to the sport of Jiu-Jitsu.
一天晚上 乔治走了进来 我完全不知道他是谁
And one night, Georges walked in. I had no idea who he was.
他看起来只是个年轻的壮小伙儿
He just looked like a young, athletic fellow
乔治像其他人一样走了进来
and came in like anyone else.
那时候他几乎不会说英语
He spoke very little English in those days.
他知道自己需要付费才能训练
He knew that you paid money to train.
但是他不知道怎么问“我需要付多少钱?”
But he didn't know how to ask:"How much do I pay?"
乔治走进来 掏出了他兜里所有的钱
Georges walks in, takes all his money out of his pocket
把钱都放在桌子上 看着我
and just puts it on the table and looks at me.
这就是他付账的方式 就是直愣愣的走进来
And that's how he would pay. He would just walk in.
最后 这变成了一周一次的例行活动
In the end, it became, like, a weekly thing.
几个星期之后
And then, after a couple weeks:
“我再也不能接受这种行为了 留着你的钱吧!”
"I can't take any more of this. Just keep your money!"
以后乔治就来道馆训练
And he would come in and train.
第一次我想
The first time I wanted to...
我听说综合格斗的时候
that I heard about mixed martial arts
是在我朋友家
is I was at my friend's house.
他租了盘DVD
He rented a DVD.
赢得锦标赛的男人就是Royce Gracie
The guy that won the tournament was Royce Gracie.
他的体格比其他选手都要小
He was smaller than everyone else.
他看起来简直就像一个孩子对战一名成年人
He looked, literally, like a kid fighting a grown man.
他的胜利鼓舞了我
And right away, when I see him win, I got inspired
我想成为像他一样的男人
and I wanted to become like him,
我也想成为冠军
and I wanted to become champion as well.
在综合格斗运动进入到这里后
After the mixed martial arts came in here, it was made...
综合格斗最先出现 是在卡纳瓦克的印第安人保护区
It was on the Native American reserve in Kahnawake,
综合格斗在那时候是非法的
because it was illegal at the time.
我看见里斯托夫.米杜
I saw Kristof.
他大概就用了9秒就KO了对手
He knocked out the guy in, like, 9 seconds.
他简直棒极了
He was, like, amazing.
我不是一个受欢迎的孩子
I was not a popular kid.
姑娘们不喜欢我 我也没有多少朋友
Girls didn't like me.I didn't have much friends.
如果你不够酷 你只能和那些不酷的孩子们玩儿
When you're not cool, you hang out with not-cool people.
那是个很艰难的时期
Things are hard.
我记得我在学校的时候
I remember I was at school.
上课走神
I was not listening to what the teacher was explaining to me.
我在想我要怎样离开学校
I was thinking about how I'm gonna get out of school,
在那些孩子……之前到达公交
reach the bus before the kids, uh...
抓住我,然后一顿胖揍,懂?
grab me and beat me up, you know?
我是个非常骄傲的人 自尊心很强
I was a very proud person, so I had a lot of ego.
哪怕在我小时候……这对于我来说是个大问题
And even young...It was a big problem for me.
我走了回去 穿过他们
So I come back, I passed through them,
我记得我抓住他们其中一个竭尽所能地揍他
and I remember I swing one of them as hard as I can.
我被好一顿胖揍
I took such a beating.
我知道我做的对
I knew I was doing the right thing, and I was like:
“这些人 他们下次再搞我,”
"Man, these guys, next time they mess with me,"
“至少他们会知道 我不是个怂逼 ”
"they know, at least, I'm not an easy target."
我是个自尊心很强的人
And, you know, I was a proud person, you know.
我总是渴望被尊重
I always wanted to be respected.
他开始上初学者课程
He began taking the beginner's class,
我立刻就注意到他身体很强壮
and I noted immediately he was physically strong.
没有特别出色 就是一个体格不错的小伙儿
Nothing crazy,just a good, athletic fellow
看起来对这项运动非常感兴趣
who seemed to be very interested in the sport
训练充满了热情
and trained with gusto and enthusiasm.
但是真的没什么特别的
But really nothing exceptional.
没有任何特质能让我看到他就说
There was nothing that made me look at him and say:
上帝啊 总有一天这个哥们会成为世界冠军
"My God, one day this guy's gonna be a world champion."
当我和他训练时间长了
As I trained with him more,
我发现事实上 乔治是从蒙特利尔 大老远过来训练的
I discovered that he was, in fact,travelling all the way from Montreal.
大部分周末 他都会出现
And he would show up most weekends.
我同样了解到他没什么钱
And I also learned that he had very little money.
他只能住在城市里非常非常便宜的旅馆
He would stay at very, very cheap flophouses in the city.
我被他的热情所打动
And I was immediately impressed by his enthusiasm.
我有学生
I had students
抱怨从布鲁克林来上课要花15分钟
who complained about coming 15 minutes from Brooklyn to class,
乔治却要从蒙特利尔过来要花费7个小时
and this guy was coming 7 hours from Montreal,
穿越边境线
coming across an international border.
周复一周,月复一月
As the weeks and months went by
他从不缺席
he just kept showing up, showing up.
有一个很有趣的问题你可以问乔治-圣皮
There's an interesting question you can ask about Georges St-Pierre.
他会非常诚实地回答你
And he's very honest about this.
他会告诉你“我不是最棒的摔跤手 ”
He'll tell you:"I'm not the best wrestler."
“也不是最棒的拳击手 踢拳手 ”
"Nor am I the best boxer, nor the best kick-boxer."
“不是最棒的柔术男 ”
"Nor am I the best Jiu-Jitsu guy."
但是,他的职业生涯清楚地表明了
And yet, his career clearly shows him dominating
他压倒性地战胜了很多非常有天赋的选手
extremely talented people
很明显 那些选手拥有比他更强的技术
who, apparently,have greater skills than him
在所有领域
in all of these areas.
你会问你自己“这怎么可能?”
So you gotta ask yourself a question:"How is that possible?"
又被摔倒了!
And down again!
这是个很有趣的问题 这是怎么回事?
And that's a fascinating question. How did it happen?
不是一次,而且整个职业生涯都这样
Not just once, but throughout his career.
认输!
Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap!
乔治融合了多种武术技巧
Georges was merging skills from different martial arts,
他用的方法 他的对手却无法模仿学习
in ways that his competitors couldn't keep up with.
他是唯一 一个我从他身上学到更多的学生
He's the only student I've had who taught me more than I taught him.
我见过很多人
I see tons of guys
被认为拥有能成为巨星的潜质
who people think have the potential to be big stars.
你绝不会知道他们到底如何
You never know until they really get to a level
直到他们真正达到能和世界最强的选手同台竞技的层次才可以
where they start to fight the best in the world.
乔治-圣皮统治并且摧毁了那个层次的所有选手
Georges St-Pierre was just dominating, destroying guys at that level.
随着乔治不断进步
As Georges progressed,
他在UFC有了一些成绩
he had some early successes in the UFC
在他的时代还没降临之前
and perhaps before his time,
乔治要和马特·休斯(UFC 8次次中量级冠军)争夺世界冠军
was put in to fight Matt Hughes for the world championship
那时他还十分年轻
at a very young age.
他对战一位统治级的世界冠军
He fought a dominant world champion...
不超过10%到15%的潜在可能性
with no more than 10% to 15% of his potential
乔治能赢下这场比赛
and was winning the fight.
乔治犯了一个严重的错误,一个初学者才会犯的错误
Made a critical error, a beginner's error, really.
乔治丢掉了一个基本降伏把位 这根本不应该发生的
Georges lost to a basic submission hold. It never should've happened.
他输并不是因为马特·休斯击败了他
He lost not so much because Matt Hughes beat him,
而是因为他自己犯了一系列显而易见的错误
but because he made a series of obvious mistakes.
赛后我们聊天 他说
So, we talked after this, and he said:
不要总是用柔术的方法训练我 要用实战的方法
"Train me not so much in Jiu-Jitsu, but in fighting."
从那时起 事情就开始变得有趣了
And that's when things started getting interesting.
从半防守状态开始 转身然后骑乘
Turn and mount. From half-guard scenario.
来试一试
Let's give it a try, fellas.
他开始肘击 然后得分 得分 得分!
As he goes to elbows, then score, score, score!
不错 现在把他放平
Good. Now flatten him out. And now...
漂亮!
Beautiful!
漂亮!
Beautiful!
我拥有一支很棒的团队跟着我
I have a wonderful crew with me,
我很幸运有这些训练师和幸运伙伴来帮助我
of trainers and training partners that I'm lucky to have.
菲拉斯把这些资源整合在了一起
The guy who puts it all together is Firas.
菲拉斯是乔治的首席训练师
Firas Zahabi, who is his head trainer,
他是一个非常聪明的家伙
who's another brilliant, brilliant guy.
拥有像菲拉斯这样的人才
Having guys like Danaher, having guys like Firas Zahabi
还拥有这支紧凑的分♥析♥团队
and having this tight mind-group
电影精选列表