1839年,大英帝国的时代。
大不列颠统治着半个地球。
超出他们到达的南中国海范围之外,还有一个被热带雨林覆盖着的,
面♥积♥有三个不列颠那么大的岛屿。
它被文莱苏丹所统治,它是一个横跨上千英里,富产黄金、煤和香料的
巨大帝国的中心。
由于文莱苏丹,未能保护马来各领主和达雅克各部落
免受来自依拉农族海盗的袭击,整个帝国的疆域充斥着叛乱。
(依拉农族:分布在菲律宾棉兰老岛及马来亚婆罗洲的信仰伊♥斯♥兰♥教的少数民族)
婆罗洲
The other side of the world.
世界的另一边。
I wonder if I've gone far enough.
我想知道我是否已经走得足够远了。
Perhaps it's as my father said.
也许就像我父亲说的。
"No matter how far you run,
“不管你跑多远,
you can never escape yourself."
你永远无法逃脱自己。”
This is it?There's nothing here.
就是这里吗?这里啥也没有啊。
It's unknown, Arthur.
这里是未知的,亚瑟。
Everything's here.
这里会有一切。
- Do we claim it for England?- You go on ahead, Charley.
-我们要宣称它属于英国吗?-你去干吧,查理。
You've wasted your inheritance, cousin.
你已经浪费了你的遗产,表弟。
Exactly as your father predicted.
正如你父亲所预言的。
Subu says Borneo's got Malay princes and Dayak headhunters.
苏布说,婆罗洲有马来王子们和达亚克人的猎头族。
Yes, precisely.
是的,正是如此。
And pirates.
还有海盗。
I should like to meet a pirate.
我真想见见海盗。
I wouldn't go in there alone.
我不会一个人进去的。
If something happens,
如果发生什么事,
there's no Royal Navy coming to save us.
皇家海军也不会来救我们。
Charley!
查理!
Unload the boat.
卸船。
Charley, come on.
查理,来吧。
- Here, take this.- Whoo!
—拿着这个。—哇!
世界的边缘
Beautiful.
太美了。
沙捞越,婆罗洲
Charley. Bird-wing butterfly.
查理。那是鸟翅凤蝶。
(世界上最大的蝴蝶)
Subu.
苏布。
We may as well take tea here.
我们不妨在这儿喝茶。
Yes, Tuan.
是的,老爷。
Put it away, Arthur.
把枪放下,亚瑟。
Tribes around here are friendly.
这里的部落都很友好。
Yes.
好的。
I can see that.
我能看出。
How long must one smoke the heads?
每次熏制这些人头要多久?
He says until the eyes melt.
他说直到这些眼睛都融化了。
We are to be brought to Prince Bedruddin,
我们将被带去见巴德鲁丁王子,
who will decide.
他将决定怎么处置我们。
Decide what, exactly?
决定什么,能说明白吗?
欢迎你们,尊贵的客人们!
向你致敬,世界的统治者。
I am Prince Makota,
我就是马科达王子,
the Governor of Sarawak.
沙捞越的总督。
And my cousin, Prince Bedruddin,the emissary of the Sultan.
这是我的堂兄,贝德鲁丁王子,苏丹的使者。
向你致敬,大人。
像你们致敬。
Do all English lords speak the language of God?
所有英国贵族都说上帝的语言吗?
I had a good teacher.
我曾有位好老师。
He said God speaks in all languages.
他曾说过上帝会说各种语言。
If only men will listen.
只要人们愿意听就行。
小心,堂兄。
白人王子很聪明。
- When the Sultan dies...- Yeah.
-当苏丹死了后...-好的,
...one of them will become the Sultan of Brunei.
他们中的一人将成为文莱苏丹。
他带了一个仆人会读懂我们的唇语。
Allow me to introduce my cousin.
允许我介绍我的表兄。
Colonel Arthur Crookshank,
阿瑟·克鲁克斯汉克上校,
of Her Majesty's army.
他来自女王陛下的陆军。
Good afternoon.
下午好。
Do you come on behalf of England?
你是代表英国来的吗?
I come on behalf of Her Majesty,Queen Victoria,
我是代表,维多利亚女王陛下而来的,
whose empire is so vast the sun never sets upon it.
她的帝国广阔到太阳永不会落下。
他说他只是一个女人的仆人。
就好象,一个女人指挥男人。
Our Dayaks are simple farmers.
我们达雅克族人只是单纯的乡巴佬。
They have never seen a White man.
他们从未见过白种人。
No.
不对。
But you have.
你见过。
My cousin and I,
我的堂弟和我,
we were paid five English sailors
依拉农海盗曾经把五名英国水手
as tribute by Lanun raiders.
作为进贡品,交付给我们
From these Englishmen,we have your words.
从那些英国人那里,我们学会了你们的语言。
被授予智慧的人必将受到祝福。
If you know our Quran
如果你们了解我们的《古♥兰♥经♥》
then you know that we must leave you now and pray.
你们应该知道,我们就要做祷告了,而你们须要回避。
Charmed.
真迷人。
Just back away.
只能后退着离开。
Back away...
后退...
Don't worry, Charley.
别担心,查理。
I doubt they'll hurt us.
我怀疑他们不会伤害我们。
They think we're emissaries of the queen.
他们认为我们是女王的使者。
The queen doesn't know we're here.
可女王不知道我们在这儿。
They don't know that.
他们也不知道。
Patience, cousin.
耐心点儿,堂弟。
Statecraft.
开疆拓土。
Is that what brings you here, Lord Brooke?
这就是你来的原因吗?布鲁克大人。
Statecraft?
开疆拓土?
Or empire?
或者为了大英帝国?
Neither, Sire.
都不是,大人。
We are on a voyage of discovery,not conquest.
我们是在进行探索之旅,不是征服之战。
Then you are most welcome.
那你们就会受到欢迎。
I thank you.
我谢谢你。
Might I be allowed to go upriver...
我能被允许去往上游...
take specimens of plantsand animals?
收集一些动植物标本吗?
这位英国大王子来这里是想收集虫子吗?
他在撒谎,他们是间谍。
苏丹派我来,是要帮你恢复这里的秩序。堂兄。
也许安♥拉♥回应了我们的祈求。
We will escort you and your lords
我们将护送你和你们几位大人
to the Orang Kaya's village.
前往有“红毛猩猩”居住的村庄。
I, too, grant you permission.
我也给予你们许可。
How long till they figure out that I'm a fraud?
他们要多久才能发现我是个骗子?
I failed at school.
我在学校没有毕业。
The army.
军队抛弃了我。
Even marriage.
甚至婚姻也失败了。
I can only hope to make some great discovery here
我只能寄希望在这里有所重大发现
that will bring credit to my family's name
这样才能为家族增光
in a way that my conduct in England did not.
而我在英国却无法完成这个。
God, this is paradise.
上帝,这简直就是天堂。
What's that smell, sir?
这是什么气味,先生?
Hey, look. Hey!
嘿,看呐。嘿!
Hey, look!
嘿,快看!
马克达王子,伊拉农海盗又袭击了。
Lanun Raiders.
依拉农袭击者。
Pirates.
海盗们。
Protected by the rebel lords who raid our villages.
袭击我们村庄的是受叛乱领主保护的海盗们。
It's a plague to our country.
这简直就是我们国家的瘟疫。
Well, there you have it.Pirates.
那你也知道是海盗们干的了。
I'd like to see for myself.Let's take a closer look.
我想亲自看看。让我们靠近看看。
Why? There's nothing there.
为什么?那里什么也没有。
Draw the birds.They're beautiful.
画那些鸟吧。他们很美丽。
I beg your pardon, my prince.
我请你原谅,我的王子。
Our purpose here is to see and to record.
我们来这里的目的是观察和记录。
Very well, then.
那就好吧。
Charley.
查理。
James, look.
詹姆士,快看。
By that tree.
树的旁边。
I'll get him, sir.
我去抓他,先生。
Got him, sir.
抓到他了,先生。
Charley, bring him here.
查理,把他带过来。
He says, "I'm not a murderer." Snake People...
他说,“我不是凶手。”这个蛇人...
Murderer. Look at his hands.
他就是凶手。看他那双手。
Liar.
骗子。
不是我♥干♥的,是依拉农人干的!
It's all right.
电影精选列表