这个故事深入我心
This story is close to my heart.
它是我的私家记忆
And it is personal too.
这是个湮没于时光中的伦敦摄影师的故事
It is the story of a largely forgotten London-born photographer,
詹姆斯·贾歇
James Jarche.
英国新闻和出版事业的中心
贾歇在弗利特街有过相当长的辉煌史
Jarche had a long and illustrious career on Fleet Street.
他从一战前开始从事摄影
He began photographing before the First World War
拍摄的照片不断被刊登在头版头条
and his images continued to be printed as front page stories
直到20世纪50年代
up until the 1950s.
他常说人生美妙 世道艰难
He always said it was a wonderful life, it was a difficult life,
活着不易
it was a tough life.
当时的新闻摄影
It wasn't the world of the paparazzi
可不像现在追逐花边的狗仔队
as we know it today, though.
当时拍的都是纯粹的新闻
This was pure news.
贾歇拍摄过很多标志性照片
Jarche took a good number of images that have become iconic.
从围攻悉尼街的报导中选出的
Churchill in top hat
丘吉尔头戴礼帽的照片
picking from cover at the siege of Sydney Street.
爱德华和一位神秘女子的偷♥拍♥照片
The candid shot of Edward with a mystery woman
后来她被认出是华里丝·辛普森
before she had been identified as Wallis Simpson.
贾歇用他的相机
With his camera
记录下很多那个年代的重要人物
Jarche recorded many of the great figures of his day.
他的故事于我之所以私人
His story is personal for me
是因为在我印象中 他是吉米
because he was the man I knew as Jimmy.
我的外祖父
He was my maternal grandfather.
我自小就对他着迷 深爱着他
I grew up under his spell, loving him dearly
吉米给了我第一部照相机
and it was Jimmy who gave me my first camera,
教我摄影
coached me in photography
把他对摄影的热爱传承给了我
and passed on his passion for it.
他过去常对我说
And he used to say to me, he used to say,
当你透过相机看世界时
"When you look through the camera
看到什么不重要 怎么看才重要
it's not what you see, it is how you see it."
你整套设备里最棒的部件
The greatest part of your whole equipment
不是相机
has nothing to do with this.
而是你的眼睛 你的镜头
It has to do with this. It has to do with your lens.
五十年前
50 years ago,
吉米把他最后一部相机徕卡M3给了我
Jimmy gave me his last camera, a Leica M3.
我要用它来拍摄当今的世界
I'm now going to use it to photograph the world today.
为了更好地理解他的事业
And in an attempt to understand his career better
我打算有样学样
I'm going to do what he did.
我将周游英国
I'm going to be sent on assignments across Britain
体验做一名摄影记者的滋味
to experience what it's like to be a press photographer.
我想拍摄那种
I'm going to photograph the sort of images
吉米可能会受邀拍摄的照片
that Jimmy might have been asked to photograph.
我将拍摄他曾拍过的地方和人
I'm going to shoot some of the places and the people that he shot.
大卫·苏歇
镜头下的英国人
伦敦和我儿时记忆中的城市不同了
London seems to be a different city from the one I know as a boy.
我的一生中 英国发生了太多变化
So much has changed about Britain during my lifetime.
吉米曾在著名的壳牌大厦高层
Jimmy once photographed the Thames from a vantage point
拍摄过泰晤士河
high up on the famous Shell building.
好家伙
Oh, my goodness me.
把我冻得够呛
It makes me go quite cold.
有了 地点差不多是一样的
Here I am. This is almost exactly the same spot.
看那儿
Look at that.
事实上他见证了一小段历史变迁
And actually he saw a bit of history being made
因为八十几年前
because this building was
拍摄这张照片时 这座建筑正在建
being built at the time over 80 years ago.
这是钢梁
There are the girders.
这是张历史快照
It is a snapshot of history.
时光仿佛停滞 但又确乎流逝了
It is timeless and yet it isn't timeless.
世事变迁
Things have moved on
但大部分事物仍始终如一
and yet so much is still the same.
吉米的父亲在伦敦塔桥附近
Jimmy's father had a modest photographic business
经营着的小本照相生意
by Tower Bridge.
他去世那年吉米才十岁
He died when Jimmy was only 10
留下的家族生意交给妻儿打理
leaving his son and wife to run the family business.
吉米因此成为一名专业摄影师
It was by necessity that Jimmy became a professional photographer
当时他还只是个孩子
when he was still just a boy.
我同我的兄弟约翰和皮特在伦敦一起长大
I also grew up in London with my brothers John and Peter.
吉米暮年搬来与我们同住
We all remember Jimmy because he came to live with us
所以我们都记得他
when he was an old man.
他魅力超凡
He was hugely charismatic
常给我们讲些生动的故事
and he entertained us all with his vivid stories.
在我们的印象里 他是挚爱的外祖父
We of course knew him as our beloved grandfather
而不是在弗利特街
rather than as a photographer
工作了一生的摄影师
with a lifelong career on Fleet Street.
盖蒂图片社
为了更深入地了解摄影师吉米
To find out more about Jimmy the photographer
我来到盖蒂图片社拜访档案馆管♥理♥员♥
I've come to Getty Images to meet the man who runs the archive,
马修·巴特森
Matthew Butson.
这是世上最大的商业档案馆
This is the largest commercial archive in the world.
馆内有大约八千五百万张照片
There is about 85 million images here on site.
其中大部分我们都知道
A lot of them we know about
因为已经登记分类了
because they're well catalogued.
也有很多不知道的
But a lot of them we don't
所以我们还在寻找馆中未登记的作品
so we are still finding stuff we didn't even know we had.
像极了阿♥拉♥丁的山洞
It's like an Aladdin's cave.
大部分照片已经登记归档
Most of this stuff is catalogued
所以我们有日记簿 索引卡之类的东西
so we've got the day books, index cards and what have you.
我想知道有多少张吉米的作品
I'm wondering how many of Jimmy's photographs
未见天日
that have never seen the light of day
埋没在这些架子里
might lie buried in these racks.
有时候麻烦不断
Sometimes you get continuity problems.
你找到一条底片
So you get a run of negatives
然后就会想 剩下的哪儿去了
and then you think, 'Where has the rest gone?'
它们被收入了另一本作品集
They have gone into another collection
有时就像试着拼拼图
so sometimes it's like trying to put a jigsaw back together.
塔尔山里有金子
So there is gold in them Thar Hills.
只要找到就行了
It's just a case of finding it.
就像我的角色一样 侦探故事
It really is in my genre, a detective story.
没错
Absolutely.
-努力找到真♥相♥ -是啊
- To try and find out. - Definitely.
话说回来 你找到了吗
And an obvious question, did you find any?
-我们找到了一些 -是吗
- We found a few. - Did you?
-我想你会有兴趣的 -真的吗
- I think you'll be interested, yeah. - Really?
看看这底片 有六十六个年头了
If you look at the negatives, these are 66 years old.
-我能看一下吗 -漂亮
- Can I just see that? - Beautiful.
那是他拍的照片吗
And that is his photographs?
是的 照片背面
Yeah, and you've got the
还有原始的照片说明
original caption slugs on the back of the contacts.
贾歇 柏林生活
"Jarche. Life in Berlin.
坐在翻倒的希♥特♥勒♥桌子边的英国士兵
British soldiers sitting in Hitler's desk turned upside down."
天哪
My goodness.
然后可以看到它引出的实际发表的故事
And then you see it leads to the actual published story.
是的
Yes.
哇 看看柏林这片荒芜景象
Wow. Look at the devastation in Berlin.
那张是德国国会系列中我的最爱之一
That is one of my favourite in the Reichstag.
照片真棒
That's a wonderful picture.
看这张多锐利啊
Look at how sharp this is.
他充分利用了
He was using available light
从楼梯上倾泻下来的
which you can see coming down the stairs
路灯之类的光
from a lamppost or something.
如果你观察有些彩色照片
If you look at some of the colour work
那种通透感仿佛昨天才拍的
that transparency could been taken yesterday.
乔治·伯纳德·萧伯纳这张照片拍得真好
That is an extraordinary picture of George Bernard Shaw.
拍得也很清楚
Absolutely pin sharp as well.
乔治·伯纳德·萧伯纳常说
George Bernard Shaw used to say,
我喜欢你 贾歇
"I like you, Jarche,
因为你不会让我看上去像只白老鼠
because you don't make me look like a white rat."
他不像 对吧
He didn't, did he?
那是张极好的肖像照 是吧
I mean that's a wonderful portrait, isn't it?
-我没见过那张 -照得很好
- I've not seen that. - It is a fabulous picture.
电影精选列表