this is where I did most my students work.
这是我完成我学校设计作业的地方
One of the things he did the portfolio to get to the university,
*得以让Norman进入大学的一个重要事物
was draw the view from his bedroom window.
是他卧室窗外风景的画作
the view he had was of a railway line which went right past his window,
从他窗外望过去 正好有一条铁路穿过
at eye level,
在视线的高度
*and he would've been out there,
*他那时向外望去
looking at those big black steam engines,
看着这些黑色的蒸汽引擎机车
rushing past,
呼啸而过
throwing out smoke and cinders.
散发着烟尘
Under the track,
在铁轨下面
is a passageway that goes from Norman's street,
是一个通往Norman家的小道
which is humble, poor,
很不起眼 很贫穷
you can smell the damp,
你可以闻到潮湿发霉的味道
but you go through this tunnel,
当你走过这个隧♥道♥
under the railway,
在铁路下面
and find yourself suddenly in a middle class suburb,
*突然发现你自己身处中产阶级般的市郊
with trees on the streets,
街边绿树成荫
and detached villas.
四处鸟语花香
And realise of course,
当然你也会觉得
that Norman,
*Norman的人生之路
was on the wrong side of the tracks.
*是朝着另外的一个方向
*I come the background,
*我来自平民阶层
where the only honorable work if you like is manual work.
*那里能找到的仅有的有地位的工作就是一些文案工作
I move up into of sort of a middle class world of guaranteed pension.
*我来到了中产阶级的世界 那里有受保障的救济金
*all the security of my parents never had which they * for me,
*有我父母所期望的安全的东西 叫我*
so I was working in the Manchester town hall.
所以我在曼彻斯特的市政厅工作
I find it,
但我感到
totally depressing,
非常压抑
I mean I escape at launch time I discover architecture.
我在午餐时逃离这里 那个时候我发现了建筑之美
I didn't know I was actually discovering architecture,
当时我并不知道我实际上是发现了建筑之美
*only in afterwards,
直到后来我才意识到了这一点
I realized it,
我意识到
I been looking at the buildings.
我是在看建筑
My escape rule is was a bicycle,
我骑自行车
to get me out of that environment,
逃离这里
into other kinds of worlds.
进入到另一个不同的世界
When he came out air force,
从空军退役后
he was lucky enough to be recommended to do a job working in the firm of architects.
他很幸运地被推荐到一家建筑事务所工作
John Beardshaw & Partners Manchester
Not a designer,
但不是做设计师
but as an assistant for the guide that ran the building contracts,
而是做一个建筑合同的助理
I plucked up courage to talk the most junior person in the drawing office,
我鼓起勇气和绘图室里资历最浅的员工谈话
and I remember challenging this guy and saying:
*我记得当时我向他问道
What do you think of Frank Lloyd Wright?
你觉得赖特怎么样?
and Frank Lloyd Wright was
*赖特是我的榜样之一
one of my passions through the local library,
*我从当地图书馆里看到的
of... you know like Le Corbusier and so on...
*像柯布西耶或者...
so I then start to engaging individual the conversation,
然后那场对话演变成
*how to become an architect?
如何才能成为一个建筑师
what you have to do?
需要做些什么
Well, you have to have a portfolio.
他们说,你需要有一个作品集
how how you get an portfolio?
那我怎么才能有一个作品集呢?
wow, I know, it's drawings.
我懂了 那就是指很多的画
So I been drawing at the bedroom window,
于是我就开始画卧室窗外的景物
I have taking drawing home from
我开始画家里的
?shore?cooking in the evening,
*傍晚做晚餐的时候
and then I thought I have to tell the boss,
然后我想必须要给老板说一下了
knock on the door of the John Beardshaw,
我敲开了老板Beardshaw先生办公室的门
said I just tell him I'm going to apply to be an architect.
告诉他我想申请做一名建筑师
We have to have a portfolios.
他说 我们要求必须有作品集
I've got a portfolio.
我说 我已经有作品集了
how can you have a portfolio?
他很惊讶,你已经有作品集了?
so I told him, you know
然后我告诉了他这个事情
*talking the room in the evening.
*那次对话一直持续到晚上
so he said you had bring it next day,
然后他说
which I did.
明天把你的作品集带上
*your square paid you around home,
*分配给我一个办公空间*
and give me an office,
分给我一间办公室
and tea square,
一个茶几
a book of graphics standards,
一本绘画标准手册
and give me a project: a house,
然后给了我一个项目 是设计一个房♥子
so that was a turning point.
那是我的一个转折点
The essence of Norman's architecture,
Norman建筑的理念是
is design can make thing work better,
设计可以让事物变得更美好
[Swiss Re Headquarters London,UK 2004]
瑞士再保险总部大厦,伦敦 2004
and it's a very optimistic belief,
同时显而易见的t
architecture can make your life feel better.
建筑可以让你的生活更美好
On the small scale,
从小的角度来说
*it transformed his adolescent bedroom in the suburbs of Manchester,
*那改变了曼彻斯特郊外的单身公♥寓♥面貌
later, it could taking away from the narrow world
*然后 逐渐推广到其他地方
*and almost anything possible.
再推广到几乎任何事物上
Architecture, I guess,
我认为 从某种程度上
for me is something that smoothly? the spirit,
*建筑与我灵魂相通
we really work in terms of all the senses,
我们确实在为此工作着
not that senses about things you can measure,
*不限于可量化的事物
you can quantify,
*不限于实体的
and if you like the spiritual dimension,
*如果你喜欢那种精神的东西
which is rooted in all of the senses,
*所有的感受都来源于此
and which you can't measure,
*那是不能像尺寸一样去测量的
but you know that area it's move you,
*但你知道那空间让你感动
move your spirits.
*感动着你的精神
[Old Yale University School of Architecture USA]
耶鲁大学建筑学院旧校区 美国
This is old school of architecture
这是建筑学院的老校区
unbelievablely
不可思议
*the same ceiling, the extraordinary same staircase,
天花板 楼梯还是和以前一样
difficult to imaging it,
难以想象
very familiar.
一切都还是像过去那样
Yale in 1961,
1961年时的耶鲁大学
*was still under the *spell of modernism,
*仍然在现代主义的思潮引领之下*
Paul Rudolph, the dean, had been student of Walter Gropius,
Paul Rudolph 当时的建筑系主任
founder of Bauhaus.
师从包豪斯学派的建立者Walter Gropius
And the fire of the modern movement was still alive,
*现代运动思潮的火种仍在燃烧
Yale was full of strong teachers,
耶鲁有很多高水平的教授
but was dominated by Rudolph.
*但是都很敬佩Rudolph
He was the man who taught Foster how to draw like an architect,
Rudolph教Norman如何像建筑师一样绘画
and even how to look like one.
还教他如何展示一个建筑师的风范
Rudolph also made him cry,
*Rudolph也让Norman哭过
he use the words "you don't care enough" to Norman,
他对Norman说过这样的话“你还不够用心”
after he had been up all night, working on a project.
在他通宵完成一个项目之后
[Paul Goldberger Writer & architectural critic]
Paul Goldberger 作家 建筑评论家
Yale never had a kind of Ideology,
*耶鲁从来不是理想主义的地方
and Rudolph was particular good at,
Rudolph特别擅长于
bring out the best of every student,
挖掘出每个学生的潜能
he was tough on them,
他对学生们非常严厉
*he's famously tough and regress,
他以难于满足和严苛著称
but it is about bring out what you want to do.
但他那样做是为了你做出你心中的东西
Rudolph really encourage Norman,
Rudolph确实激励了Norman
[Carl Abbott Architect]
Carl Abbott 建筑师
he really pushed him,
他推动Norman
with most of us he pushed us, or you'd be out.
*在他这种不进则退的推动下
But I think he push Norman more than anybody in our group,
但是我想他在我们那些同学中特别地提携Norman
I think him saw things in Norman that most of us he did not see them.
*我想他是看到了Norman身上那些不同于一般人的东西
I went on the building,
我在这个建筑里
I did a lot of drawing,
画了很多
on the perspectives,
关于建筑透视草图
so if you just take a photogragh on those,
如果你给这些东西拍张照片的话
I can show you the extraordinary drawing,
你就能看出那个作品是多么的巨大
*which is probably about so big on it,
有差不多这么大
I was drawing line after line after line.
*我在那里一笔一划的画出来
Also on the teaching staff was Serge Chermayeff,
Serge Chermayeff当时也在耶鲁执教
he want to make him think about communities,
电影精选列表