1961年至1989年间 柏林墙将德国分隔为东、西两部分
东德的人们通常会经由偏僻的哈尔茨山偷渡到西德
东德的秘密警♥察♥机构"史塔西"奉命阻止这种行为
柏林 今日
柏林墙确实被推倒了 但人们之间的隔阂并未消失
There may not be a physical wall but there is definitely still a wall,
精神和情感上的隔阂
an emotional mental wall like the Eastern Germany
东德至今还在忙于应对暴♥乱♥
is still dealing with the atrocities that happened to them.
并且...只要我们...
And-- and they will as long as we all-
你想去别的地方吗?
Did you want to go somewhere else?
我不是你的治疗师
I am not your therapist.
你怎么会这么想?
Why would you say that you're my therapist?
"安娜你好 今天过得怎么样?最近在忙什么呢?"
"Hi Anna, how was your day? What have you been up to?"
这才是今晚正确的打开方式
That would have been a good way to start off tonight.
别嘛 你知道明天的展示有多重要
Come on, you know how important this presentation is tomorrow.
我确实知道
Yes, I do.
那么你今天过的怎么样?
So how was your day?
好吧 或许我的兴趣是有点
Okay, so maybe my interest is-
- 是痴迷吧? - 有点强烈
- Obsession? - A bit intense.
- 但你作为一个德国人应该知道它的重要性 - 是的
- But you as a German should know how important this is. - Yes.
但我作为一个德国人也可以告诉你这话题是有多么的难懂乏味
And I as a German can tell you how esoteric the whole thing is.
- 没错 这很重要 - 对你来说么?
- It matters. Yeah. - To you?
迈尔斯 如果你想和一个女孩子撑过三次约会
Miles, if you want a girl to stick around for more than three dates,
你真该找点别的话题聊聊
you should really find something more to talk about.
- 这是很学术的东西啊 - 那又怎么样呢
- It's academic. - Nobody cares.
德国人并不关心 学者 女孩子们也一样
Not Germans, not academics, not girls.
听着 从今天的情况来看 我认为你真的需要考虑一下心理咨♥询♥
Look, from all that you've told me, I think you should really consider counseling.
那样也许你的时间会花得更值一些
That might be a better use of your time.
大家好 今天我要为这项研究
Okay. So today I'm going to present my grant proposal for the study
德国统一对哈尔茨山脉居民的跨代影响
of the transgenerational impact of the German reunification
提出拨款提案
on the inhabitants of the Harz mountains.
哦 上帝啊
Oh, goodie.
好的
Okay, so-
你已经三次为这个项目申请资金
Three times you've presented this project for funding.
前面两次我们都拒绝了
The first two times we rejected it.
为什么你会觉得我们这次会改变主意?
What makes you think we've changed our minds?
我们都知道那面墙 我们也都知道它已经倒塌了
We all know about the wall, we all know it fell.
你作为一个局外人 可能会觉得有必要做这个课题
You as an outsider might feel the need to go there.
但我们对此毫无兴趣
We don't.
你在开玩笑吗?
Are you kidding me?
对我来说 这听起来像是你在为自己的私人项目
To me this sounds like you're requesting private funding
申请私人资金
for a personal project.
- 嗯 如果你们 -迈尔斯 学校可不想
- Well, if you-- - Miles, the university isn't interested
花几千欧元去解决你的家庭问题
in spending thousands just to help you with your family issues.
这个项目的目的是研究和记录史塔西的压♥迫♥
Look, the purpose of this project is to research and document how Stasi oppression
是如何影响这个地区的人们和他们的后代的
affected the people of this region and the generations that followed.
没错 由于我的家族历史它确实存在私人因素
Yes, it's personal because of my family history and yes,
这种因素也的确促使我调查这个问题 但是
that pushes me to investigate the issue. But --
不要把我对改变现状的热情和什么鬼心理治疗混淆了
don't confuse my passion to make a difference with some sort of twisted therapy.
随你怎么说 这项研究需要太多的资源投入
Call it what you like, either way it's asking too many resources
但能带来的学术成就却很小
for too little academic return.
那查理·普赖斯呢?他就能从学术的角度来研究当地民俗
What about Charlie Price? He's down there trying to get academic perspective
还搞得他好像是这种项目的开创者似的
on regional folklore like that hasn't been done to death.
查理·普赖斯拿到了资金是因为他同意为大学档案馆
Charlie Price got his funding because he also agreed to carry out major artifact acquisition
进行重要的文物收♥购♥
for the university archive.
我不确定你现在是否真的适合提起他
I'm not sure if Charlie Price is the name you really want to bring up right now.
听着
Look,
我辞去中情局分♥析♥员的工作 不是为了来这里
I didn't quit that fucking analyst job at the CIA so that I could come here
回收那些已经存在的学术垃圾 然后把它们锁在落了灰的图书馆里
and recycle a bunch of shit already written and locked away in some dusty library.
像我父亲的这样的人从不需要为他们的所作所为负责
People like my father were never held accountable for what they did.
这方面研究的缺失真是丢人
The lack of research on this subject is an embarrassment.
如果我们不了解事实 怎么能改变 如何能弥补呢?
How can we change, how can we make amends if we don't know the facts?
我从小到大都不知道我父亲是谁
I grew up never knowing who my father was,
但又一直恐惧于他可能是个怎么样的人
but always dreading what he might have been.
你知道这听起来很搞笑
You know it sounds funny.
你说这不是你的个人项目 但你却在这里谈论你的个人经历
You say it isn't personal and yet here you are again making it about you.
你一直在说你自己 不是吗?
It's always about you, isn't it?
在项目申请信中 你提到了你的东德血统
In your application letter to this program you wrote about your East German roots,
你家人在柏林墙倒塌后的移♥民♥事迹
your family emigrating after the wall fell,
还提到在你父亲自杀后 你不再拥有归属感
how you never felt like you belonged anywhere after your dad killed himself,
也没有身份认同感
had no identity
也许 也许你在这里学习 说不定可以找到这些问题的答案
and maybe, just maybe, if you study here, you could find answers to all that.
但你要求的越来越多
But you keep asking us for more and more.
这是我们拒绝你的第三次
And for the third time we say no.
非常感谢你的报告 冯·西格勒先生
Thank you very much, Herr von Siegler.
迈尔斯
Miles.
等等
Wait.
我有点东西给你
I might have something for you.
虽然这可能不是你现在期望的 但也应该有些用处
It might not be what you're looking for right now but it's something.
今天下午你有时间和怀特博士以及我私下见一面吗?
Do you have time this afternoon for a private meeting with Dr. White and myself?
- 你想干嘛? - 你上次见到查理·普赖斯是什么时候?
- What's this about? - When was the last time you saw Charlie Price?
嗯 查理 恭喜你
Well, Charlie, congrats man.
得偿所愿
You earned it.
一年前
伙计 走运了
Maybe you lucked out, man.
我之前也没想到会成功
Not quite what I hoped for either.
我想观察民俗如何在21世纪里存续
I wanted to see how folklore survives in the 21st century world.
但他们不会支持建立一个那样的档案馆
They won't help building an archive.
这对他们有什么好处?都是老调重弹罢了
Yeah, what's in it for them? It's always the same bullshit here.
也许这恰是你该做的 把这个项目弄得更有利可图一些
Maybe that's what you gotta do, find a way to make it more lucrative for them.
我知道弄清楚你父亲身上发生的事对你有多重要
I know it's important for you to find out about your dad and all but
但你必须从评审们的兴趣点切入
there's got to be an angle to grab their interest too.
你的项目必须有所贡献才行
Just gotta have something to offer.
迈尔斯 我不确定上午你提到查理·普赖斯的时候
Right. Miles, I don't know if you notice the elephant in the room this morning
是否有注意到大家避而不谈的情况?
when you mentioned Charlie Price. Did you?
我当时没太注意
My attention was kind of elsewhere.
在你的提案里 普赖斯的研究占据了大篇幅的参考内容
In your proposal, your list Price as a primary resource.
那有什么问题吗?
Is there a problem with that?
你很了解查理·普赖斯吗?
How well do you know Charlie Price?
我们原来都是中情局的分♥析♥员
We were both analysts at the CIA.
- 你跟他的交往多吗? - 不太多
- Do you talk to him much? - Not often.
我们通过几封邮件
A couple of emails back and forth.
不过这是挺久前的事了
Been a while though.
我们现在面临着一点问题
The department has a bit of a situation. And --
希望你可以帮我们解决它
we were hoping you could help us deal with it.
项目开始后我们很快就意识到普赖斯不可信
We learned fairly quickly he wasn't to be trusted.
他对事实有所隐瞒
He had conflicts about the truth.
一开始的时候 我们都对他的工作很满意
Initially we were very pleased with the work Price was doing.
但他接着就消失了 你看
But he seems to have disappeared and as you see there,
他陷入了很多麻烦
also managed to get himself in a lot of trouble.
我们大概一周前接到了普赖斯的信息
We received this from Price about a week ago.
地下活动 停顿
Underground, stop.
过去使我保持清醒 停顿
In my case the past keeps me sane, stop.
终止联♥系♥ 一切都结束了 停顿
Cease contact, everything is fucked, stop.
- 他给你们发了一封电报? - 是电子邮件
- He wrote you a telegram? - That was an email.
我们从一个叫格哈德·施密特的人那里得到了消息
We got word from a man called Gerhard Schmidt.
这是他的照片
That's a photo of him right here.
施密特是克罗伊茨菲尔德小村庄的警♥察♥局长
He's a police chief in a small village called Kreuzfeld.
警方认为那里有犯罪情况 他们查到了一些报告
The cops believe there were situations there along with some police reports
关于当地博物馆和私人收藏的被盗文物
and stolen artifacts from museums, private collections in the area.
两周前 这只举世罕见的时钟出现在了慕尼黑的拍卖♥♥会上
Two weeks ago that rare clock, you see there, showed up at auction in Munich.
卖♥♥家已经被捕了 但是
Seller was arrested, but
时钟上还发现了普赖斯的指纹
Price's fingerprints were also found on it.
你们想要我做些什么呢?
What do you want me to do about it?
你上午说 你曾经为CIA工作
You said it yourself this morning you used to work for the CIA.
是的 但我是个分♥析♥员 不是特工
Yeah, but I was an analyst. I was never an officer.
迈尔斯 你知道的 我们让普赖斯为我们找几件文物
Miles, as you know, we instructed Price to find several of these artifacts for us,
但我们从没想过他会偷盗 售卖♥♥文物
but we never imagined he'd be stealing and selling them.
如果普赖斯在接受我们巨额资助的时候
If Price goes to prison
被关进监狱
while under our grand funding,
基金会就完了
the foundation will be demolished.
你是他的朋友 你了解他的处事方法
You're his friend, you know his methods.
在他毁了我们之前 找到他
Find him before he does something that ruins all of us.
那么我答应的话 你们应该会批准