有些鱼是不可能被抓到的
There are some fish that cannot be caught.
并不是因为它们比其它鱼更快 或更强壮
It's not that they're faster or stronger than other fish.
它们只是有特殊的魔法
They're just touched by something extra.
其中有一条这样的鱼叫「野兽」
One such fish was The Beast.
到我出生的时候 它已经是个传奇了
And by the time I was born he was already a legend.
它无视过的鱼饵比阿♥拉♥巴马州的任何鱼都要多
He'd passed up more $100 lures than any fish in Alabama.
有人说那条鱼是一个盗贼的鬼魂
Some said that fish was the ghost of a thief
他60年前淹死在了那条河里
who'd drowned in that river 60 years before.
其他人声称它是一只
Others claimed he was a dinosaur
幸存下来的"白恶纪"的恐龙
left over from the "Cruaceous" Period.
我丝毫不相信这些猜测和迷信说法
I didn't put any stock into such speculation or superstition.
我只知道我从你这个年纪开始
All I knew was I'd been trying to catch that fish
就不断尝试抓住那条鱼
since I was a boy no bigger than you.
在你出生那天...
And on the day you were born...
就在那天 我终于抓住了它
Well, that was the day I finally caught him.
在此之前 我什么方法都试遍了
Now, I'd tried everything on it:
蠕虫 鱼饵 花生酱 花生酱混合芝士
Worms, lures, peanut butter, peanut butter and cheese.
但那一天我猛然醒悟
But on that day I had a revelation:
如果那条鱼真是亨利·沃尔的鬼魂
If that fish was Henry Walls' ghost,
那寻常的诱饵对它没用
then the usual bait wasn't gonna work.
我必须使用它打从心底渴望的东西
I was gonna have to use something he truly desired.
-你的手指吗 -是金子
- Your finger? - Gold.
我把我的戒指绑在最强韧的鱼线上...
Now, I tied my ring onto the strongest line they made...
据说那种鱼线足以支撑起一座桥
Strong enough to hold up a bridge, they said,
哪怕只有几分钟
if only for a few minutes.
然后我在上游把鱼饵抛出去
And then I cast upriver.
鱼饵还未入水 就被跃出水面的野兽一口咬住
The Beast jumped up and grabbed it before it even hit the water.
接着它用同样飞快的速度扯断了鱼线
And just as fast, he snapped clean through that line.
你们应该也能看出我的难题
Well, you can see my predicament.
我的婚戒 我对我妻子忠贞的象征
My wedding ring, the symbol of fidelity to my wife...
-她很快将成为我孩子的母亲... -叫他别说了
- Soon to be mother of my child... - Make him stop.
现在被一条无法捕捉的鱼吞入腹中
Was now lost in the gut of an uncatchable fish.
你做了什么
What did you do?
我跟着那条鱼 跑遍上下游
I followed that fish upriver and downriver.
那条叫野兽的鱼...
This fish, The Beast...
我们一直以来都以为它是雄鱼
The whole time we were calling it a him,
实际上它是一条雌鱼
when in fact it was a her.
它饱满的肚子里都是鱼卵 随时可能生产
It was fat with eggs it was gonna lay any day.
这下我面临一个难题
Now, I was in a situation.
我可以把那条鱼开膛破肚 取回我的婚戒
I could gut that fish and get my wedding ring back...
但这么做
But in doing so
我就会杀死艾希顿河里最聪明的鲶鱼
I'd be killing the smartest catfish in the Ashton River.
我想剥夺我儿子亲手捕捉
Did I want to deprive my son the chance
这样一条奇鱼的机会吗
to catch a fish like this of his own?
我和这条雌鱼...
This ladyfish and I...
我们有相同的命运
Well, we had the same destiny.
"我们是同一个等式的一部分"
"We were part of the same equation."
你们可能会问...
Now, you may well ask...
亲爱的 亲爱的 今晚你仍是主角
Oh, darling, darling, it's still your night.
它为何单单对金子迅速出击
Why did it strike so quick on gold
而其它诱饵都无法吸引它
when nothing else would attract it?
我在那天领悟到了...
That was the lesson I learned that day...
就是我儿子出生那天
The day my son was born.
有时要抓住一个你抓不到的女人
Sometimes the only way to catch an uncatchable woman...
唯一的办法就是给她一枚婚戒
is to offer her a wedding ring.
怎么 当父亲的还不能谈论自己的儿子了
What, a father's not allowed to talk about his son?
我在那故事里不过是个小配角 爸爸
I'm a footnote in that story, Dad...
你那场伟大冒险里的背景人物
The context for your great adventure,
顺便说下 那场冒险根本没发生过
which never happened, incidentally.
我出生时 你在威奇托卖♥♥新奇小物件
You were selling novelty products in Wichita when I was born.
别这样 威尔 大家都很喜欢那个故事
Come on, Will. Everyone loves that story!
不 爸爸 他们不喜欢 我也不喜欢
No, Dad, they don't. I don't love that story.
早就听腻了 毕竟你已经说了上千遍
Not anymore. Not after a thousand times!
我熟知每一句妙语 爸爸
I know every punch line, Dad.
这故事我能说得跟你一样好
I can tell them as well as you can!
就一晚 你这辈子就这么一晚
For one night, one night in your entire life...
宇宙不是绕着爱德华·布鲁姆转
The universe did not revolve around Edward Bloom.
你怎么就不明白呢
How can you not understand that?
很抱歉让你丢脸了
I'm sorry to embarrass you.
你是让自己丢脸了 爸爸 你只是不明白
You're embarrassing yourself, Dad. You just don't see it.
那晚之后 我整整三年没再跟我父亲说过话
After that night, I didn't speak to my father again for three years.
我是合众国际新闻社的威廉·布鲁姆 我能否...
William Bloom, United Press International. If I could just--
威尔·布鲁姆收
法国巴黎
可以说 我们用间接的方式交流
We communicated indirectly, I guess.
通过寄来的信件和圣诞贺卡
In her letters and Christmas cards,
我母亲会为父亲代笔
my mother would write for both of them.
我每次打回家里
And when I'd call,
她就会说爸爸开车出门了 或是在泳池里游泳
she'd say Dad was out driving or swimming in the pool.
和往常一样 我们对我和他的矛盾只字不提
True to form, we never talked about not talking.
老实说 我没在父亲身上看到我的影子
The truth is, I didn't see anything of myself in my father.
我想他也没在我身上看到他自己的影子
And I don't think he saw anything of himself in me.
我们就像两个熟悉的陌生人
We were like strangers who knew each other very well.
要讲述我父亲人生的故事
In telling the story of my father's life...
导演 蒂姆·波顿
很难区分哪些是事实 哪些是虚构
It's impossible to separate fact from fiction,
这个充满神秘的男人
the man from the myth.
我最多也只能像他对我讲述的那样来诉说这个故事
The best I can do is to tell it the way he told me.
有些地方不合常理 大部分情节根本没发生过
It doesn't always make sense, and most of it never happened.
把戒指还给我
Give me back my ring!
谢谢
Thank you!
但这就是那样一个故事
But that's what kind of story this is.
大 鱼
他的诞生就为他奇幻般的人生奠定了基础
His birth would set the pace for his unlikely life.
虽不比大部分人寿命长 但更宏大
No longer than most men's, but larger.
虽然他的故事很奇怪
And as strange as his stories got...
但结局总是最出人意料的
The endings were always the most surprising of all.
喂
Allô?
是的 他在家
Yes. Yes, he's here.
是你母亲
It's your mother.
本奈特医生怎么说
And what does Dr. Bennett say?
不 没事 我会跟他谈的
No, sure, I'll talk to him.
好的 我等着
Yeah, I'll wait.
很糟糕吗
It's bad?
是啊 比他们想的要严重 他们准备停止化疗
Yeah, it's more than they thought. They're gonna stop chemo.
-你得动身了 -估计今晚就走
- You need to go. - Probably tonight.
-我跟你一起去 -不不 你不必的
- I'm going with you. - No, no, no. You shouldn't.
我要跟你一起回去
I'm going with you.
你想听哪一个故事
Now, which one's it gonna be?
"谷仓里的小猴" 还是"路上的小狗"
"Monkey in a Barn," or "Dog in the Road"?
关于女巫的那个
The one about the witch.
你妈妈说我不能再跟你讲那个故事了
Your momma says I can't tell you that one anymore.
-你会做噩梦的 -但我不怕呀
- You get nightmares. - But I'm not scared.
我一开始也不怕
Well, neither was I, at first.
这事发生在艾希顿镇外的沼泽地
Now, this took place in the swamp outside of Ashton.
小孩子是不允许走进沼泽的
Children weren't allowed to go in the swamp
因为那里有蛇 蜘蛛
on account of the snakes, and the spiders
还有会把你吞没的流沙
and quicksand that would swallow you up
你连喊叫都来不及
before you could even scream.
那天晚上 我们总共有五个人去了
There were five of us out there that night:
我 露丝 威尔伯·弗莱利
Me, Ruthie, Wilbur Freely...
还有普莱斯家两兄弟 唐和扎克
and the Price Brothers, Don and Zacky.
我们都不知道即将发生什么
And not one of us knew what was in store.
大家都知道
Now,it's common knowledge that
具有一定规模的城镇都会有一个女巫
most towns of a certain size have a witch...
哪怕只是为了吃不乖的小孩
If only to eat misbehaving children...
偶尔还会吃掉迷路闯进她院子里的小狗
And the occasional puppy who wanders into her yard.
女巫使用那些骨头施法术和魔咒
Witches use those bones to cast spells and curses...
使土地变得寸草不生
And make the land infertile.
她真的有一只眼睛是玻璃做的吗
Is it true she got a glass eye?
我听说她是从吉普赛人那里弄来的
I heard she got it from gypsies.
-吉普赛人是什么 -你妈妈就是吉普赛人
- What's a gypsy? - Your momma's a gypsy.