英国皇家科学院发生了一起抢劫
There's been a heist at the Royal Institution,
一颗人造钻石被盗
and a man-made diamond was stolen.
这是监控探头
That's the moment caught
捕捉到的画面
on the Royal Institution's own CCTV cameras.
今晚的观众们 你们在排队时
Tonight's audience, when you were queuing there,
成为了这场犯罪的目击者
you were witnesses to a crime,
而窃贼已逃之夭夭
and the thief has escaped.
英国皇家科学院圣诞讲座
主讲人 女爵士苏·布莱克
讲座三 生者
这是英国皇家科学院的第三场
This is the third and final of this year's Christmas lectures
也是最后一场圣诞讲座
from the Royal Institution.
于几场讲座之中
And these lectures have
我们探寻法医学原理
explored the principles of forensic science.
到最后这节课
And through the course of this final lecture,
我们要尝试"鉴定"活人
we're going to try to identify and to bring to justice
一个珠宝窃贼 并将他绳之以法
a living body, a jewel thief.
在英国皇家科学院的法庭上
Here in the court of the Royal Institution
我们将要审判涉嫌盗窃
we will put on trial a suspect accused of stealing
珍贵人造钻石的嫌疑人
the precious man-made diamond.
法医证据仅为协助陪审团
So the sole purpose of forensic evidence is to assist the jury
进行决策而存在
in their decision-making in the courtroom.
讲座尾声 你们将成为陪审团
And at the end of this lecture, you will be the jury,
判定该嫌疑人
and you will be deciding whether the suspect we have
是否确有其罪
is guilty of the crime for which they have been accused.
我是一名法医人类学家
Now, as a forensic anthropologist,
常作为专家证人出席庭审
I often appear in court as an expert witness.
站在证人席
And standing here in a witness box,
像我这样的专家证人
as an expert witness, like myself,
是完全凭自己的专业判断输出观点
we can offer opinions based solely on our professional judgment.
我们会如何做呢 我们会严肃对待此事
And what do we do? We take it very seriously.
我们宣誓陈述事实
We swear to tell the truth,
知无不言 绝无虚言
the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
法庭之上 此为要言
They're really important words in there.
法庭上最具影响力的角色之一
And some of the most influential figures in any courtroom
就是律师 今晚的辩护律师可能是
are the lawyers. And tonight, our defence lawyer is probably -
不 他绝对是苏格兰最受尊敬的
no, he is - one of the most respected,
也是最令人胆寒的辩护律师之一
and definitely one of the most feared advocates in Scotland.
有请皇室法律顾问唐纳德·芬德利先生
Would you please welcome Mr Donald Findlay KC?
能被芬德利先生盘问
I would say I've had the pleasure, but it was not a pleasure,
纵然不是幸事 我亦乐在其中
of being cross-examined by Mr Findlay.
芬德利先生 如果可以的话
But what I'm going to ask you to do,
能否请您告诉我们之后的陪审团
if I may, Mr Findlay, is to talk to what is our future jury,
他们的角色和义务是什么
and what is their role and their responsibility,
毕竟作为社会的一员
because this is one of the most important,
这是最重要也是最严肃的事情之一
serious things that you can do as a member of the public.
在这个国家 如果有指控称
In this country, if there is an allegation
有重大刑事案件发生
that a serious crime has been committed,
且已有嫌疑人被拘捕和起诉
and someone is arrested and charged,
那么最该对此案享有知情权的人
they are entitled to have that case heard,
不是法官 也不是律师
not by a judge, not by lawyers,
而是由社会公民组成的陪审团
but by a jury made up of members of the public.
今晚 你们就是陪审团 肩负重任
Tonight, you are our jury, and that's quite a responsibility.
为了进行刑事案件中的有罪论证
In order to prove guilt in any criminal case,
公诉人会罗列证据
the prosecution leads evidence
以排除合理怀疑 证明被告有罪
to try to establish guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
如果你心有怀疑
If you have a doubt,
就是那种会在生活中遇到的
which is a kind of doubt you would have in your own lives
作出重大决定时的怀疑
about an important decision you were going to take,
那么你就应依据怀疑 判定被告无罪
then you give the benefit of that doubt to the person accused.
公诉人的论证必须以证据为基础
The prosecution has to prove its case on the evidence.
无关乎个性
It's not about personalities.
无关乎你喜欢哪个证人
It's not about which witnesses you like
胜过其他
more than any other witnesses.
你只能以证据和证据质量为依据
It's about the evidence and the quality of the evidence
证明其有罪
that you find proved.
公诉人进行有罪论证
And it's my job to make it difficult for the prosecution
我与之博弈
to try to prove its case.
如果在庭审结束时 你仍存在合理怀疑
If, at the end of it all, you are left with a reasonable doubt,
那么你就要遵循法律
then you are bound by law,
遵循今晚的规则
and bound by the rules of this evening,
宣告被告无罪
to acquit the person who is on trial.
万分感谢
Thank you very much indeed.
芬德利先生会加入我们 旁观庭审
Mr Findlay is going to join us and sit through the proceedings,
你会看到他在不同时间出来
and you will see him come forward at different times
与专家证人交流
to talk to expert witnesses.
我希望你们记住科学不是黑与白
I want you to remember that science isn't black and white,
而是多种灰度的集♥合♥
it is a variety of shades of grey,
科学家需要知道
and scientists need to know
证据能够发掘出的极限
how far they can go with the evidence.
虽是专家证人
And when you're an expert witness,
有时却也像在受审
sometimes it feels like the expert witness is on trial as well.
科学上了法庭 也要遭受一番考验
So it's a very uncomfortable place for science to be.
那么开庭的前提
But before we start anything,
是找到嫌疑人
we need a suspect,
我们需要一些帮助
and we're going to need some help
去鉴别我们的嫌疑人
in terms of identifying our suspect.
你们之前就见过这种通缉海报
Now, you'll have seen these sort of wanted posters before,
我们要做的就是
and what we're going to want to do
填补黑色剪影的部分
is we're going to fill in the silhouette,
因为不知道这个人是谁
because who is this person?
我们先从老派的方式开始
And we're going to start by doing it the old-fashioned way,
你们可能在电影里见过这种方式
perhaps the way you might have seen it done in films.
一起来看监控记录
If you could all look at the CCTV footage,
这是今晚早些时候发生的入室盗窃
which is of the burglary that occurred earlier this evening,
它结束得太快了 不是吗
and it's over so quickly, isn't it?
接下来加入我们的是一位
So we're going to be joined by a psychologist
来自中♥央♥兰开夏大学的心理学家
from the University of Central Lancashire
他的团队致力于为提取目击证人的
whose team is working to establish the best procedures
面部记忆建立最优步骤
to extract the memories of faces from eyewitnesses.
有请查理·弗劳德教授
So would you please welcome Professor Charlie Froud?
查理 我们接下来要做的
Charlie, what we're going to do
-就是尝试老派的方式 -是的
- is we're going to do it the old-fashioned way. - We are, yes.
这并不是我们如今必用的方式
Not what we would necessarily do today,
-事实上这种方式已经被淘汰了 -没错
- in fact definitely not what we do today. - Yes, that's right.
我们要试着建立窃贼画像
So we're going to try to build a picture of the thief.
我们手里有一些特征图
What we have is some features.
如你们所见 有眼睛 鼻子和嘴巴的照片
We have some eyes, as you can see, some noses and some mouths.
我们要做的就是我来问
And what we're going to do is I'm going to ask you
你们回答哪张照片看起来最贴切
to tell me which picture you think is the best.
我们有一些眼睛的照片
So we have some eyes.
如果我指到你们觉得是窃贼的照片
So what I'd like you to do is I'd like you to call out
就请你们大声回应
if you think, as I point, you think it's the thief.
-这双眼睛是吗 -是不是呢 是吗
- What do we think about those? - Yes or no? Yes?
非常安静
Oh, very quiet.
不 不是那双眼睛
No - oh, no. Not that one.
这双眼睛呢
What about these?
是
Yes.
有点肯定的声音了 这双呢
That's a little bit better. And these eyes?
是
Yes.
音量好像差不多 这双呢
Maybe about the same. And these eyes?
是
Yeah.
最下面的眼睛呢
Bottom set of eyes?
不是
No.
不是 所以可能在这两双眼睛之间
No. So maybe it's between these two.
哪些人觉得 我们必须来第二轮
So who thinks - we have to have another guess -
哪些人觉得是这双眼睛
who thinks these pair of eyes?
是
Yes.
这双呢
And these?
是
Yes.
好像还是一样 第二个 我来定
It's about the same. Second one. I'm going to adjudicate.
电影精选列表