让开
Move!
谢谢各位 烦请轻点
Thank you, gentlemen. Gently, if you please.
海蜥蜴
挖掘者 玛丽·安宁女士
莱姆里吉斯
鱼龙
莱姆里吉斯
捐赠者 H·霍斯特·亨里先生
玛丽
Mary!
你不出去工作吗
Shouldn't you be out?
你得多捡点贝壳
We could do with more shells.
那种小菊石 招揽游客
Them little ammonites, tourist tut.
还有浮木
And driftwood.
再不去我就死了
Before I catch my death.
你在做什么
What are you doing?
什么事
Yes.
不不 别让我打扰您
No, please, don't let me disturb you.
-我很乐意看您工作 -商店关门了 先生
- I am very content to watch you work. - The shop's closed, sir.
漂亮极了 不是吗
It's wonderful, isn't it?
是海马角吗
Cornu ammonis?
是菊石
Ammonite.
碎掉了
It's a broken one.
但它还是上好的标本
It's still a fine specimen.
您有什么需要吗 先生
Is there something you wanted, sir?
抱歉 容我自我介绍一下
Sorry. Please, let me introduce myself,
安宁女士 我是罗德里克·默奇森
Miss Anning. Roderick Murchison.
必须承认我有些敬畏之情
I must confess I'm a little in awe.
您声名远扬 在伦敦地理学会
Your reputation is something I've often heard discussed
是大家热议的话题人物
in the Geographical Society in London.
-那个男人的天下 -这个嘛...
- All boys together. - Yes, well...
的确
Quite.
但您的洞察力和技巧享有盛名
But your insights, your skills, are legendary
我自忖自己的欧陆考古之旅
and I thought for my archaeological tour of the Continent,
怎可错过来拜访您的机会呢
how could I miss the opportunity to meet you?
所以我来了
And here you are.
观摩您工作
At your work.
我以为伦敦学界的绅士们
I was under the impression that fine London gentlemen
对我的海洋生物化石研究不再感兴趣了
were no longer interested in my sea creature relics.
潮流已经变了 不是吗
Fashion moved on, did it not?
的确 我入门就有点晚
Quite. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a late starter.
我怎么可能不想来见见
And how could I not want to meet
"莱姆之神"呢
"The presiding deity of Lyme"?
绅士应该按照礼俗 写信预约拜访时间
It'd be customary for a gentleman to write to me
而不是直接登门 做不速之客
to make an appointment before arriving unannounced.
-是的 不可原谅 -别乱动那个好吗
- Yes, unforgivable. - Could you not fiddle with that?
抱歉 容我介绍内人 夏洛特·默奇森夫人
Sorry. May I introduce my wife, Mrs. Charlotte Murchison?
先生 如您所见 我不再挖大块化石了
Sir, as you can see, I don't excavate larger pieces any more.
我在大英博物馆看过那块化石
I've seen that particular relic in the British Museum.
完整的鱼龙化石 对吗
A complete ichthyosaurus. Am I correct?
是您的挖掘成果吗
And that's one of yours?
太有意思了
It's fascinating.
我想从您手中买♥♥下这块菊石
I would love to purchase this ammonite from you,
但我也得说实话
but I must be honest.
我非常希望能和您
What I would dearly appreciate is the opportunity
一起去岸边 共同挖掘化石
to spend some time working with you on the shore,
亲身体会您的工作
seeing what you see.
我己经不做导游了
I don't conduct guided tours any more.
我不是游客 安宁女士 我和您一样是科学家
I'm not a tourist, Miss Anning, I'm a scientist, like you.
新世界的人 我来这里是为了向您学习
A man of the new world and I'm here to learn all I can from you.
当然 我非常乐意对您的时间给予补偿
And, of course, I am more than happy to recompense you for your time.
显然 这造成了您的不便
And, obviously, as it's an inconvenience to yourself,
我可以支付一笔额外费来单人观摩
I would be able to pay a premium for a private audience.
当然还有购买♥♥这块上好的菊石的钱
As well as the purchase of this fine ammonite, of course.
这活可不容易
It's not easy work.
-明白 -我不能保证会有收获
- Good. - I can't promise we'll find anything.
那是自然
Naturally.
-那好吧 -太好了
- Very well. - Splendid!
您无法想象这对我来说意味着什么
You've no idea what this means to me.
我的朋友们会嫉妒死的
My friends will be most envious.
-你们有安静点的餐厅吗 -有 先生 但...
- Do you have a quieter dining room? - Yes, sir, but...
这音乐对我们来说有点吵了
This music's a little overwhelming for the situation.
-能不能... -别闹
- Couldn't we... - Don't make a fuss.
-今天是什么汤 -野兔汤
- What is the soup? - Hare.
我要牡蛎 抹油了吗
I'll have the oysters. Are they larded?
最流行的做法 先生
A la mode, sir.
很好 还要牛肉 一分熟
Perfect. And the beef. Rare.
-好的 先生 -炖芹菜 煮土豆
- Very good, sir. - Braised celery, boiled potatoes.
土豆浇上奶油 请给我酒单
Pouring cream for the potatoes. Would you bring your wine list?
不用了 给我一瓶波尔多红葡萄酒就好
No, wait. Just bring me a bottle of the claret.
我们有26年和35年的
We have the '26 or '35.
要35年的
The '35.
给我夫人来一份白鱼 烤的 不放酱汁
And my wife will have some plain white fish. Baked. No sauce.
现在可不适合再要一个孩子
It's not the right time to make another baby.
安宁女士
Miss Anning.
安宁女士
Miss Anning.
抱歉 我迟到了吗
Sorry. Am I late?
-您店里的那位老妇... -是我母亲
- The old woman in your shop... - My mother.
当然 请见谅
Of course. I do beg your pardon.
您母亲告诉我您在这里
Your mother said I would find you here.
今早天气不错 潮也退了 我等不及了
It was a bright morning, and the tide was out. I couldn't wait.
当然 我只是不想错过什么
Yes, of course. I just didn't want to miss anything.
反正你已经来了
Well, you're here now.
是的
Yes.
什么都不是
Nothing.
纤维状方解石
Beef.
石灰石
Limestone.
-方解石晶体 -这个呢
- Calcite crystal. - And this?
看这里
Look here.
这里面有一块小菊石
There is a little ammonite inside,
但这个小坑说明它已经碎了
but that dimple tells me it will be crushed.
也可以把它凿出来 但没什么用了
You could chip it out, but it won't be any good.
这个好
Oh, that's nice.
粪化石 非常好
Coprolite. Very nice.
我对这种化石不太熟悉
I'm not familiar with this type.
你要是看得够仔细
If you look very carefully,
就能看到非常细小的鱼骨头
you can see tiny fish bones.
这些小黑斑...
Those little black flecks...
都是鳞屑
they're scales.
打磨之后会很漂亮
That'll polish up very nice.
谢谢
Thank you.
-不过这是什么 -粪便的化石
- But what is it? - Fossilized feces.
-什么 -没错 默奇森先生
- Pardon? - Yes, Mr. Murchison.
是屎
Shit.
很快就要涨潮了 我们该回去了
The tide will be coming in soon. We ought to be getting back.
夏洛特 看看我跟安宁女士发现了什么
Charlotte, look what I found with Miss Anning.
夏洛特
Charlotte.
-你干什么 -屋里臭烘烘的 我要带你出去
- What are you doing? - Taking you out of this stinking room.
-我不想出去 -这恐怕由不得你
- I don't want to. - I'm afraid that's no longer a choice.
我们不能继续这样下去 夏洛特 你像个鬼魂
We can't continue like this, Charlotte. You're like a shadow.
这样不行
It simply won't do.
你现在这种情况
It's madness for me to expect you
指望你陪我跨国旅行是异想天开
to be well enough to accompany me abroad.
-看来你需要更多时间来康复 -罗德
- It seems you need more time for your convalescence. - Roddy...
莱姆似乎就是最适合你的地方
Lyme appears to be the perfect place for you.
这次旅行要跑很多地方
This expedition is extensive.
但给你的医嘱是休息
You were prescribed rest.
-海水浴 -我不喜欢水
- Sea bathing. - I don't like the water.
避免刺♥激♥
Little stimulation.
我要我聪明风趣的妻子回来
I want my bright, funny, clever wife back.
我不想独自一人
I don't want to be alone.
R·默奇森先生
还有什么事吗
Is there something else?
我夫人夏洛特
My wife, Charlotte,
她近来一直不太好