所以激发潜力去打 看看你的本领如何
So play to your potential and see how many teams can beat you.
埃尔文喜欢看作自己是个DJ
Earvin fashioned himself as a disc jockey.
你知道 他叫自己DJ约翰逊
You know, his moniker was EJ the DJ.
DJ约翰逊
EJ the DJ.
DJ约翰逊 是啊
EJ the DJ. Yeah, yeah.
你知道吗 他在放假的时候会搓碟
You know, he would deejay on his off days,
在每次比赛之前他要放点歌♥ 嗨一下
and before every game he had to get into a groove.
天哪 我不知道到底他听了啥歌♥
And boy did-- I-I don't know what music did to him,
听完一上场就拿三双 感觉和他听的音乐有很大关系 你懂吧
but he'd go out and get a triple-double like it wasn't nothing. You know, so…
后来我就开始去本地的夜店打碟
And so then I started deejaying at all the local clubs,
他们有人还专门雇我过去当DJ
and I was getting paid to be there to deejay.
那是过圣诞节假期的
And then it was the last day before we left
最后一天
to go home for Christmas break.
[dance music plays]
我们去了个很有名的酒吧 叫做杜利酒吧
We go to this famous nightspot called Dooley's.
-那是个派对圣地 -每个大学生去杜利酒吧
-It was a party place. -Everybody on campus went to Dooley's.
我们得去那儿体验一下
But it was just the place to be, to go.
以前我们归父母管 不能出去玩 很多事情不能干
But we were sheltered. We didn't hang out. We didn't do those things.
那是我们第一次出去
This was our first time being grown-ups.
离开家里 出去玩 喝喝酒 很开心
You know, away from home. Hanging out, drinking, having a good time.
有个年轻女孩走过来和我们打招呼
[Magic] A young lady came in and said hi to us.
但是 跟在她后面的那个女孩很漂亮
But right behind her was this beautiful,
她叫库琦 她向我们介绍了自己
beautiful young lady named Cookie she introduced us to.
我们也打了招呼 然后回到我朋友中间 一起跳舞
We said hello, I ran into my other friends and, you know, danced and had a good time.
她就转身离开了
She walked away...
然后我说
and I said...
[vocalizes]
“我得去认识她”
"I got to get to know her."
噢 那时吧里刚好放的是《Jamaica Funk》和《Ring My Bell》
Man, that's when "Jamaica Funk" and "Ring My Bell" just had hit.
Ring My Bell" playing]
[mimicking song beat]
我看着他在舞池中♥央♥
And I watched her on the dance floor.
她舞跳得很好
And Cookie could dance.
杰伊一直用手顶我
So, Jay kept elbowing me,
说 “哥们 如果你问不到她的电♥话♥
saying, "Man, if you don't get her phone number."
灯光亮起
The lights came up.
我们就走了”
Everybody was leaving.
我准备走了
And I started walking out.
我走到门口站着 我不能错失这次机会
And I stood right by the door 'cause I couldn't miss my opportunity.
当我从他面前经过时 他说
And as I walked past him, he said,
“嘿 给我你的电♥话♥号♥码吧”
"Hey, lemme get that phone number."
“我想要你的电♥话♥号♥码 这样我们在圣诞节假期之后
"I would like to get your phone number so when we come back from Christmas break,
就能一起再出来玩了”
maybe we could go out or something."
我笑着跟他说
I laughed at him and I said,
“到时候你肯定会忘记我叫什么的”
"You'll never remember my name and remember to call me."
-我说 “我会打给你的” -我给了他号♥码 我说
-I said, "I'm gonna call you." -I gave him the number, and I said,
“行吧 但是你绝对会忘记我”
"Okay, but you'll never remember who I am."
印第安纳队球权 来到前场 击地传球
[commentator] Indiana working the ball. Forecourt. Bounce pass.
当时密歇根球队在打圣诞节比赛
[Cookie] Michigan State played a Christmas tournament.
我跟我妈一起看了那场比赛 我说
I was sitting with my mother watching the game, and I was like,
“妈 就是那个人 他在我走的时候问我要了电♥话♥号♥码"
"Mom, that guy right there, he asked me for my number when I left."
我说 “他肯定忘记我了”
And I was like, "He'll never remember me."
然后我们都笑了 笑个不停
And we laughed. We had a good laugh about it.
那天我提早回家了 因为我得报名我的课程
I went back early because I had to finish registering for some classes,
我记得我一进屋
and I remember the day that I walked into the room,
电♥话♥就响了
the phone started ringing.
真的就是我刚刚背着包一进门
Like, literally we were walking in with our bags,
电♥话♥刚刚好就响了 我接了 是他打来的
and the phone started ringing. I picked it up, and it was him.
她说 “我没想到你会打给我”
She said, "I never thought you were gonna call me."
我在想 “为什么他会知道我刚好回家呢”
And I'm thinking, "How did he even know that I just walked into my room?"
而且那天我还是提早回来的
That we even came back 'cause we came back early.
我就开玩笑说
I just played it off--
“哥们总会知道这些东西的”
"Yeah, you know a brother know these type of things."
[chuckles]
她不知道 其实我每天都打过来
She didn't know I was calling every day
一天打个五六次 就等她接我的电♥话♥
about five times a day trying to reach her.
他知道我的生日是一月二十号♥
[Cookie] And he found out my birthday was January 20th.
他就问我
And so then he asked me,
“我能在你生日那天带你出去吗?”
"Can I take you out for your birthday?"
然后我想 “噢 可以呀”
You know, and I thought, "Oh, wow, okay."
我很惊讶 你知道吧 我挺兴奋的
I was really shocked, you know, um, and excited about it.
我回家跟我爸说
I went home and told my father,
“我想跟她第一次约会时穿好看点”
"I want to put on a suit to take her out on my first date."
他说 “噢 那你一定挺喜欢这个女孩吧
And he said, "Wow, you must-- you must really like this girl.
你认识她多久了?” 我说 “爸 我还不认识她呢”
How long you known her?" I said, "Dad, I don't know her yet."
[laughs]
我们玩得很开心
We had a great time at dinner,
好像我们心有灵犀一样 你知道吧
and it was like we were best friends instantly, you know.
我们很聊得来
We just-- Easy talking to each other.
我们在餐馆聊了一会
We talked at the restaurant.
然后我们去了我叔叔家
Then we went over to my uncle's house.
坐在那里听着音乐 聊了好一会
We sat there and listened to music, and we talked some more.
库琦人非常好
Cookie was amazing.
她对毕业看得很重 所以她也和我一样努力
And Cookie was serious about graduating, uh, so she was driven like I was.
对我而言 印象最深的是他很平易近人
For me, I was most impressed with the fact of how down-to-earth he was.
他很酷 很有趣 而且很接地气 你知道吧
He was so cool and so funny and so normal, you know.
所以我才爱上了他
That's what I fell in love with.
我们约会的第一个月很美好
[Magic] The first few months was just incredible.
库琦和我度过了一段难忘的时光
Cookie and I had the best time.
我跟她煲一晚上的电♥话♥粥
I stayed on the phone with Cookie on the road all night.
我甚至还睡着了
I-- Actually, we would fall asleep,
然后电♥话♥就在那里挂着 你知道吧
and the phone's off the hook, you know. [laughs]
我们一直聊天聊到睡着
We-- We would fall asleep talking to each other.
差不多凌晨两三点这样
It'd be 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning.
我觉得 对他来说 我就是
[Cookie] I think for him, I was always just that place
他的庇护所
where he could relax and be supported.
不管他赢球了 输球了还是累了 病了
Whether he won, lost or, you know, was really tired or sick.
不管是我需不需要什么东西
Whatever I needed, even before I needed it,
她都会说 “嘿 我知道你很累了
she would say, "Hey, I know-- You look tired.
来床上躺会吧 我就在边上看书”
Come, just lay down on my bed. I'm gonna just study."
这也是为什么我爱上了她
I think that's what made me fall in love with her too.
那些我们在密歇根的时光
Because of those moments at Michigan State,
我们成就了许多东西
we were building something together.
他是整个密歇根篮球队
[Cookie] Him being the focal point
的焦点球员
of Michigan State's basketball team,
那不是一件很容易的事
it wasn't easy.
赛季一开始他就背负着巨大压力
And the pressure he was under once the season started.
你知道的 在比赛之前他要十分注重自己的饮食
You know, he was very strict about his regimen before a game.
应该吃什么 不应该吃什么
What he ate, and how he needed quiet--
他平时一个人待在房♥间 放着歌♥
Dark room, just his music.
[crowd cheering]
我会去现场看他的比赛
And I would go to the basketball games and, um,
有时我会在比赛结束之后等着他
sometimes I would wait for him after the game.
但是他跟我说 “你先回宿舍吧
But he always told me, "Just go back to the dorms,
待会宿舍见”
and I'll meet you there after the game."
不会在那里多聊两句 要么就是回家
There was no just hanging around talking or going home.
不是等会就是到时候 “我回家跟你聊 拜拜”
Right then and there, "I'll call you when I get home. Bye."
她说 “为什么我不可以在这等?
[Magic] She said, "Well, why can't I wait
别人的女朋友都在这里等啊”
because all the other players' girlfriends are waiting?"
我说 “回去等就行了 等会我们在碰头”
I said, "Just go to the dorm, and I'll see you afterward."
那时我们吵得很凶
That was our first big argument.
每个人都想跟埃尔文聊上两句
Everybody was trying to talk to Earvin.
女孩们都说 “埃尔文 我们要”
All the girls, "Earvin. I want Ear--"
不对 不是埃尔文 “魔术师 我们要魔术师”
No, not Earvin. "I want Magic. I want Magic."
你知道吧 那周围有很多女孩
[Cookie] You know, there were girls everywhere.
有一天我上他的车 看到地上很多他的照片
I get in his car one day and, um, I see pictures on the floor
都是他带她们去舞会的时候拍的
of him, you know, taking somebody to, uh, their-- their dance.
我就想 “这怎么回事?”
And I'm thinking, "What is this?"
他就说 “没什么 就是一个朋友
And he says, "Oh, no. It's just a friend of mine.
因为她刚跟她男朋友分手了 我就和她出去玩会”
I just took her. She broke up with her boyfriend."
我就想 “不 肯定不是那样的”
And I thought, "No. I don't think that that's what's going on."
-她很伤心 -是啊
-She was very hurt. -Yeah.
-很伤心 -非常伤心
-[Webster] Very hurt. -Hurt bad.
因为我们知道