“你有没有听说过一个叫埃尔文·约翰逊的男孩?”
"Have you heard of this kid Earvin Johnson?"
我负责报道埃尔文的第一场比赛
I was assigned to cover Earvin's first game.
最终比分是50比49 埃尔文拿了12分 10篮板 并且满犯离场
50 to 49. Earvin had 12 points, ten rebounds and fouled out.
我回到办公室后
And so I get back to the office
人人都想知道这个叫埃尔文·约翰逊的孩子怎么样
and everybody wants to know how this Earvin Johnson kid is.
我说 “嗯 他差不多六尺五高 他以后会成为一个好球手的
I said, "Well, he's 6'5'' type kid. He's gonna be a good player one day,
但是那场比赛他打的不怎么样”
but he wasn't anything special in that game.''
我们赢了他们一分 用一个压哨的二次进攻
We beat 'em by one point, on a rebound at the buzzer.
然后 我哥走进更衣室
And, uh, my brother came into the locker room.
他说 “乔治 他可以是全市第一或者全州第一
He says, "George, he might be an all-city and maybe an all-stater.
但是不会是全国第一”
He's no all-American."
但我想 “不急 以后再说”
But I thought, "Wait."
[crowd cheering]
就这样 我又负责报道他的第二场比赛
Somehow, fate had me be assigned to the second game.
我们要迎战一个州里被公认
[Magic] We went to play one of the schools that's supposedly good
很厉害的学校
in the state of Michigan.
然后我们把他们打爆了
And we blew them out on their home court.
我隔三差五就跟别人说 他那场拿了36分 20个篮板 15个助攻 还有10个抢断
I always tell people, he had 36 points, 20 rebounds, 15 assists and 10 steals.
那是我十五岁的时候拿的第一个三双
As a 15-year-old, that was my first triple-double.
后来我哥又来找我
And my brother came up to me
他说 “乔治啊 他把这里别的球员
and he says, "George, he'll make you forget
全部打成喽罗了”
about every other basketball player we've had in this area."
那场比赛是我看过最精彩的表演
[Stabley] It was the most amazing performance I'd ever seen
这可是他的高中生涯第二场比赛啊
by anybody, and he was his second game of his high school career.
然后就有一些体育笔者来找我 说 “哥们
So the sportswriter came in and he said, "Listen, man, I'm--
我从未见过如此美妙的表演”
I haven't seen a performance like that ever in my life."
-他说 “我得给你一个称号♥”-“埃尔文 我们得给你个称号♥”
-He says, "I wanna give you a nickname." -"Earvin, we gotta call you something."
有人叫Biggie 有人叫J博士
Somebody's called Biggie. Somebody's called Dr. J.
你觉得魔术师怎么样
How about Magic?
然后我就说 “行 好啊”
You know, you're like, "Yeah, right." [laughs]
你知道的 我笑着回应 “好啊 行 可以”
You know, you-- you start laughing like, "Yeah, yeah, okay that--"
我哥们不可能叫我“魔术师的” 你知道吧
My boys not gonna call me "Magic." You know?
不到两个月 魔术师传遍了整个密歇根
And within two months, everybody in Michigan knew who Magic was.
当我刚上高中打球的时候
[Barkley] When I first started playing basketball in high school,
每个人都在讨论这个来自兰辛东部的家伙
everybody started talking about this guy from East Lansing.
魔术师约翰逊 魔术师 魔术师 魔术师
Magic Johnson. Magic, Magic, Magic.
我就说 “魔术师?我得瞧瞧他有多大能耐”
And I was like, "Magic? Man,
I need to watch this."
我听说过他 埃尔文·魔术师·约翰逊
And I had heard about this kid, you know, Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson.
我心想 “谁啊?埃尔文·魔术师·约翰逊?”
I was like, "Who's this dude? Earvin 'Magic' Johnson."
没见过他 但是别人都说他是个很厉害的球员
Never saw him, but just kept hearing how great he was as a basketball player.
来了 他要打三分了
[commentator]There he goes. Watch it for three...
“你见过这个兰辛的孩子吗?”
"Have you seen this kid in Lansing?"
“这个中西部的十五岁黑人小孩
"This 15-year-old Black kid from the Midwest.
别人叫他魔术师 你见过他吗?”
They call him Magic. Have you seen him?"
埃尔文·约翰逊 你的球风很受欢迎
[interviewer] Earvin Johnson, you're a very sought-after player.
投射好 传球好 能运球能得分能助攻
Uh, you shoot well, you pass well, you dribble, score, assist.
我们想知道你最拿手的是什么
We're trying to figure out what you do best.
-你知道吗?我们想不到
-Do you know? We can't figure it out. -[chuckles]
各大报刊开始报道他的新闻
When the newspapers really started getting involved,
然后他总是能上头条
and then he started getting the big headlines--
从那开始 他就变得声名显赫
You know, that's when he basically became the pied piper.
哪场比赛有他 哪里就人山人海
Whatever game he was playing, everybody wanted to go see it.
Speedoo" playing]
我们去的地方 永远都是座无虚席
[Staudt] Everywhere we would go, you could not find a seat any place.
找不到一个空座位
You just could not find a seat.
我还记得当时那些猖狂的票贩子 那些附加的警力来增援
I still remember the ticket scalping, the extra police there for security.
他在场上干的不是普通的活
It wasn't any kind of ordinary stuff that he did.
他的技术我们都闻所未闻
He did stuff that I'd never seen on a basketball floor before.
他在场上飞天遁地 背运
[Turner] He's up and down the court. Just behind his back,
用一些不看人传球 展示他的十八般武艺
throwing no-look passes. Just doing everything.
埃尔文是一个很凶猛的竞争者
Earvin was a fierce competitor.
我的天 他胜负欲真的很强
God, he was competitive.
很多学生 白人学生 他们都想打败他
A lot of the other kids-- white kids, they wanted to beat him.
我不会忘记当时 他们跟本顿港比赛
[Staudt] And I'll never forget that they were playing Benton Harbor,
一支密歇根传统豪强队伍
a tradition-rich basketball school in Michigan history.
一开始他们在那里训练 然后他们离开了
[Magic] They practiced first, and as they exit the floor
轮到我们训练的时候 有个人说
and it was our turn to go onto the floor, a dude said,
“你们谁是埃尔文约翰逊?
"Which one of you dudes, uh, Earvin Johnson?
你们听好了 他明天要碰上硬茬了”
I just want you to know, tomorrow you in trouble."
然后我的队友就说 “哥们 他开始喷垃圾话了”
All my teammates were like, "Ooh, man. He talking trash."
我说 “嗯 明天晚上我们走着瞧”
I said, "Mmm, you just wait till tomorrow night."
那晚好像有9000多个观众 应该票售空了
It was 9,000 people, sold out I think.
我记得有一次进攻 有个人在背后踩了我一脚
I remember one play in the game and a guy stepped on the back of my foot,
然后我的鞋掉了
so my shoe came off.
接下来的两三分钟 我都是穿着一只鞋打的
For the next two or three minutes, I'm playing with one shoe on.
我好像在三分钟里 打了五波进攻
In that three minutes, I made, like, five plays.
他跑全场还是穿着一只鞋
He still went down the court with one shoe on
甚至还花哨地运球得分
and did a dazzling move and scored.
我上篮进了 观众们都疯狂了
Laid it in, and the people were just going crazy.
-气氛一直在上升
-It was just building.
-[crowd cheering]
在本顿港的教练叫了暂停后
And by the time Benton Harbor coach called the time-out,
整个球馆直接沸腾了
the place just erupted.
我说 “看看计分板吧”
I said, "Look at the scoreboard."
就这样 我不用说什么垃圾话 看分数就完事了
That's all. I don't have to talk trash. Just look up.
我从未见过一个高中球员
[Staudt] I never saw somebody's reputation
他的名气能变大得这么快 任何项目都没有
as a high school player grow as fast, in all my years, in any sport.
我觉得他应该不会离开这里
I just knew he was not gonna go away.
有一件事我知道 就是他妈妈不是很喜欢
I do know one thing, that his mother was not real fond
他的称号♥——“魔术师”
of the nickname "Magic" when he was given it.
“魔术师”这个称号♥ 你觉得怎么样
[interviewer] How about the nickname "Magic?" How'd you take to that?
嗯 我不是很喜欢这个名字 你知道的 因为
Well, I really never liked that, you know, because it had such a--
这会给他很大压力 你知道吧
such an impact on him, you know.
因为有了这个名字 人们对他有很高的期望
People expect so much from him because of that name.
[people chattering]
之前我们在埃弗雷特中学开了个记者会
We had a big press conference at Everett High School.
那可是大新闻
It was the big news.
50英里内的电视台都报道了
Every TV station within 50 miles was here.
行
All right.
我宣布之前还有什么问题要问吗?
Is there any questions before I get started?
[people laughing]
嗯 明年我会 嗯 前往密歇根州立大学
No, um, next year I will be, uh, attending Michigan State University.
[people cheering]
密歇根州立大学
[announcer 1] Michigan State University.
埃尔文·魔术师·约翰逊带领来自密歇根兰辛的
[commentator] Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson directing the Spartan Ballet Company
斯巴达舞蹈队
from East Lansing, Michigan.
魔术师约翰逊来自兰辛
[announcer 2] Magic Johnson comes from the Lansing area,
他是我们这里的的骄傲
which is something we're all very proud of here.
全国都在招揽埃尔文·约翰逊 不只是密歇根州
The whole city recruited Earvin Johnson. It wasn't just Michigan State.
他展示出的那种热情
That enthusiasm that he showed.
他能点燃整个场馆
That-- That electricity permeated through the building.
那真的是
It was, uh-- [chuckles]
令人着迷
It was mesmerizing.
魔术师约翰逊是个场上的教练
[commentator] Magic Johnson, he's a coach on the floor.
球队在他组织下进攻有条不紊 他是一把好手
His play's under control. He's got great hands.
他是个顶级传球手 他怎么传 队伍就怎么打
A great passer. The way he goes, so goes the Spartans.
当时他们队刚刚度过了一个很差的赛季 但是很多球员留下来
They had a bad season the year before, but most of the players were coming back.
有格雷格·凯尔瑟 我算上杰伊·文森特
Greg Kelser was there, and I put Jay Vincent in that lineup,
再算上我自己 我说
and I put myself in the lineup. I said,
“噢 我觉得我们能拿下大十联盟比赛”
"Man, I think we can win the Big Ten."
我等不及要踏入新赛季
I could not wait for the season to begin.
这样我们就能增进球队的化学反应和队友之间的感情
So we can enjoy this chemistry and camaraderie.
然后我们就一拍即合
And it clicked right away.
我们一起玩得很开心
[Magic] We were just having a good time.
Potential" playing]
我们在更衣室里有个很不错的音响 还有个唱片机
We had a nice boom box and record player, uh, in the locker room.
他进来的时候 就带着它们
When he joined, that was his thing.
他拿过来之后我们就一直放在那里
He took that over so we just left it alone.
我们选的那首歌♥ 是the Jimmy Castor Bunch的
The one that we adopted, the song by the Jimmy Castor Bunch,
叫做“潜力”
is called "Potential."
潜力 拼作Q-I-A-N-L-I 然后我们老是拼出来
Potential, spelled P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L. And we used to spell that out.
我想 我们是个年轻的队伍
Because our thought was that we were a young club,
我们要试着去稳住阵脚
trying to reestablish ourselves.