片名:绝岭三雄
人们谈论比利小子,或者韦斯·哈丁,或者山姆·巴斯。
People talk about Billy the Kid, or Wes Hardin, or Sam Bass.
他们很强硬,也很坏,但没有像弗兰克·斯雷顿那样坏的了。
They're tough and they're bad, but there aren't any as bad as Frank Slayton.
三明治,巴拉德小姐?
Sandwich, Miss Ballard?
不,谢谢。我会等到罗杰车站。
No, thank you. I'll wait till Rodger's Station.
汉普顿先生?-不了,谢谢。
Mr. Hampton? - No, thanks.
三周前,他和他的帮派进入陶斯。
Three weeks ago, he and his gang rode into Taos.
杀了四个人。被烧毁和抢劫。抢走了两个印地安女孩。
Murdered four people. Burned and looted. Carried off two Indian girls.
所以他们才派这些士兵来吗?
Is that why they sent these soldiers along?
看到我们带着的保险箱了吗?黄金。
You see the strongbox we're carrying? Gold.
——害怕吗,韦瑟比先生?-是的,先生,我承认
Frightened, Mr. Weatherby? - Yes, sir. I admit it.
你为什么不远离这个地方呢?
Why don't you stay out of this part of the country?
我不能。我是买骨头的。那就是水牛的骨头。
I can't. I'm a bones buyer. Buffalo bones, that is.
我卖它们当肥料。
I sell them for fertilizer.
但是,汉普顿先生,你在这里做什么?
But, Mr. Hampton, what are you doing out this way?
你是南方人,是吗?——是的。一个顽固的南方人。
You're a Southerner, aren't you? - Yes. An unreconstructed Southerner.
我看到了我的家,里士满,在格兰特和他的人完成任务之后。
I saw my home, Richmond, after Grant and his men got through with it.
我知道你的感受。我的家在亚特兰大。
I know how you feel. My home was in Atlanta.
我深表同情,巴拉德小姐。我们有很多共同点。
My sympathies, Miss Ballard. We have a great deal in common.
打算留在西部吗?
Intending to stay out here in the West?
是的。我要嫁的人会在海恩斯维尔见我。
Yes. The man I'm going to marry is meeting me in Haynesville.
我们将从那里继续前往加州。
We'll go on to California from there.
旧金山?-哦,不。他有一个牧场。
San Francisco? - Oh, no. He has a ranch.
在牧场住过吗?-不喜欢,但我肯定会喜欢的。
Ever lived on a ranch? - No, but I'm sure that I'll like it.
醒醒吧,伯吉斯先生,我们要进罗杰车站了。
Better wake up, Mr. Burgess, we're pulling into Rodger's Station.
哈里斯,带你的人回格兰特堡找接收人。
Harris, take your men back to Fort Grant for replacements.
也许你能和我共进晚餐,巴拉德小姐。
Perhaps you'll join me for dinner, Miss Ballard.
你真是太好了,但恐怕我不能。
That's kind of you, but I'm afraid that I can't.
你要嫁的那个人,他不会在这里见你吧?
He's not meeting you here, the man you're going to marry?
不。明天在海恩斯维尔。
No. In Haynesville, tomorrow.
那我不能允许你拒绝。你为什么要一个人吃饭?
Then I can't permit you to refuse. Why should you dine alone?
我受宠若惊,汉普顿先生。但你得允许我拒绝。
I'm quite flattered, Mr. Hampton. But you'll have to permit me to refuse.
别担心,汉普顿先生。我和你一起吃。
Don't worry about it, Mr. Hampton. I'll eat with you.
如果我早知道,伯吉斯先生,我就不会问那位女士了。
If I'd known that, Mr. Burgess, I wouldn't have asked the lady.
快点拿那个保险箱。
Hurry up with that strongbox.
我们没有多少南方女士从车站经过。
We don't get many Southern ladies coming through the station.
嘿,这太美了。
Say, that's beautiful.
这是我家人送我的结婚礼物。
It's a wedding present from my family.
海恩斯维尔有个很好的牧师,米吉雷先生。
There's a fine minister in Haynesville, Mr. Midgely.
你们要在教堂里结婚吗?-是的,当然。
Are you going to be married in the church? - Yes, of course.
这是唯一的办法。
That's the only way to do it.
我去给你泡杯茶。
I'll go and fix you a cup of tea.
我给你带点饼干来。我自己烤的。
And I'll bring you some of my biscuits. I baked them myself.
她是个了不起的女人,不是吗?
She's quite a woman, isn't she?
在我看来,所有女人都是一样的。
As far as I'm concerned, all women are alike.
他们只是长着不同的脸,这样你就能把他们区分开来。
They just got different faces so you can tell them apart.
对一个没有品味的人来说,我想一切都是一样的。
To a man without taste, I suppose all things are alike.
她和其他女人的区别就像干邑和玉米酒的区别一样。
She's as different from other women as cognac is from corn liquor.
两种药都会引起同样的头痛。
You get the same kind of headache from either one.
她可以微笑而不做作。
She can smile without making it a simper.
这是女人少有的品质,杰茜。
That's a rare quality in a woman, Jess.
她下一站也要结婚了。还记得吗?
She's also getting married at the next stop. Remember?
是的,嫁给一个肮脏的农民。
Yes, to a grubby dirt farmer.
一年后她会是什么样子?
What'll she look like a year from now?
这跟你有什么关系?这是你好和再见。
What difference does it make to you? It's hello and goodbye.
一个悲伤的想法。你不这样认为吗?
A sad thought. Don't you think so?
离她远点。
Stay away from her.
你说什么?-离她远点。
What did you say? - Stay away from her.
我的私事是私人的。别再忘记了。
My private affairs are private. Don't ever forget it again.
是谁?-是我罗杰斯太太
Who is it? - It's me, Mrs. Rodgers.
本!
Ben!
本,我以为…我骑了一天一夜。这比等待容易多了。
Ben, I thought... I rode all night and all day. It was easier than waiting.
罗杰斯太太,你最好给我找个房间……如果你打算经营一家像样的酒店。
Mrs. Rodgers, you'd better find me a room... if you're planning on running a decent hotel.
你知道…-我有…
You know... - I had...
在穿越沙漠的路上,我一直在想该对你说些什么。
Riding across the desert, I kept thinking what I'd say to you.
现在我不记得了。
Now I can't remember.
我变了吗?
Have I changed?
比以前更漂亮了。
Prettier than ever.
我很努力地回忆你的长相。
I tried so hard to remember exactly what you looked like.
你头发的香味,你漂亮的眼睛。
The smell of your hair, your pretty eyes.
本,我从来没这么开心过。
Ben, I've never been so happy.
我只是不敢相信我们真的在一起了。
I just can't believe that we're really together.
我等了这么久,本。
I've waited so long, Ben.
战争结束后,我以为等待已经结束了。
When the war ended, I thought the waiting was over.
然后当我不得不再次等待的时候……我想我以为这永远不会发生。
And then when I had to wait again... I guess I thought it would never really happen.
是的,珍妮。
It has, Jenny.
但我会补偿你那些年的每一年。
But I'll make it up to you for every one of those years.
会有一位女士坐在这里。
There'll be a lady sitting here.
你们有白葡萄酒吗?
Have you any white wine?
我自己也曾经差点结婚。
I almost got married once myself.
一切都准备好了,直到她的家人坐着一辆有篷马车来到西部。
It was all set till her family came West in a covered wagon.
如果你见过她的家人,你就会知道为什么马车被盖住了。
If you could have seen her family, you'd know why the wagon was covered.
巴拉德小姐,你正好赶上吃晚饭。
Miss Ballard, you're just in time for supper.
汉普顿先生,这是我未婚夫?沃伦先生。
Mr. Hampton, this is my fianc? Mr. Warren.
惊喜和荣幸。
A surprise and a pleasure.
汉普顿先生是长途客车的乘客之一。
Mr. Hampton is one of the coach passengers.
你好!
How do you do?
我们一直盼望与您见面。我希望你能和我们一起吃晚饭。
We've been looking forward to meeting you. I hope you'll join us for supper.
谢谢,但他…-为什么?
Thank you, but he's... - Why not?
这可能不是亚特兰大的豪宅…但你让三个孤独的单身汉都这么认为。
This may not be the mansion house in Atlanta... but you make three lonely bachelors think it is.
伯吉斯先生,沃伦先生。
Mr. Burgess, Mr. Warren.
威瑟比先生沃伦先生-很高兴认识你。
Mr. Weatherby, Mr. Warren. - Glad to know you.
是坐着的。
Be seated.
我告诉你,南方有一支更好的军队。
I tell you, the South had a better Army.
我们骑得更好,打得更好,领导我们的人也更优秀。
We rode better, we fought better, we were led by better men.
所以我们被打败了。
And so we were defeated.
失败。有人曾经说过:“什么是失败?”你回家吧。
Defeat. Fellow once said, "What is defeat?" You go home.
战争是可怕的。-不总是,巴拉德小姐。
War is terrible. - Not always, Miss Ballard.
当一个人死了,他不会担心他的制服的颜色。
When a man's dead, he don't worry about the colour of his uniform.
我仍然认为这场战争是可以避免的。
I still say the war could have been prevented.
——如何?——以和平方式。
How? - By peaceful means.
谈判、妥协、讲理。
Negotiation, compromise, reason.
如果你呆在西部,你会发现你不能用鲍伊刀谈判……
If you stay out in the West, you're going to find you can't negotiate with a bowie knife...
或者跟一把六发手枪讲道理。
or reason with a six-shooter.
我看到了葛底斯堡。
I seen Gettysburg.
两年后,你仍然能闻到血腥味。
Two years later, you could still smell the blood.
他们把里士满夷为平地后我看到了它。
And I saw Richmond after they burned it to the ground.
我已经看够了,也受够了杀戮。
I've seen enough and I've had enough of killing.
我讨厌暴力和暴力。
I'm sick of violence and force.
我学到了一件事:子弹是很民主的。
I learned one thing: bullets are very democratic.
他们杀好人也杀坏人。我想试试另一种方法。
They kill good men as well as bad. I'd like to try the other way.
试一试。但我也参加了你们的战争,我看到了一个世界的灭亡:我的世界。
Try it. But I fought your war, too, and I saw a world die: my world.
是什么摧毁了它?武力,沃伦先生。
And what destroyed it? Force, Mr. Warren.
战争结束了。我们不能永远想着这件事。
The war is over. We can't go on thinking about it forever.
我忘了。我只对未来感兴趣……因为我们将在那里度过余生。
I've forgotten it. I'm interested only in the future... because that's where we're going to spend the rest of our lives.
我花了五年时间为别人争吵。
I spent five years fighting somebody else's quarrel.
现在我不和任何人吵架了。
Now I don't quarrel with anyone.
不带枪吗?你就是这么做的吗?
By not carrying a gun? Is that how you do it?
待在自己的后院…在这种情况下,恰好是1200英亩的加州良田。
By staying in my own back yard... which, in this case, happens to be 1,200 acres of good California land.
1200英亩。
Twelve hundred acres.
你可以站在前廊上,直视前方三天。
You can stand on the front porch and see straight ahead for three days.
海洋是西界,河流是东界。
The ocean's the west boundary and the river's the east boundary.
对我来说,这就是整个世界。
For me, that's the whole world.
河对岸发生的事与你无关吗?
And what happens on the other side of the river is no concern of yours?
这是正确的。
That's right.
沃伦先生,你介意我和准新娘跳支舞吗?
Mr. Warren, would you mind if I danced with the bride-to-be?
一点也不
Not at all.
你介意我插句话吗,汉普顿先生?
Do you mind if I cut in, Mr. Hampton?
我不太会跳舞,巴拉德小姐。我想我笨手笨脚的。
I'm not much of a dancer, Miss Ballard. I guess I got two left feet.
所以你们要在海因斯维尔结婚?-是的,明天晚上。
So you're gonna be married in Haynesville? - Yes, tomorrow evening.
那是亚利桑那州最糟糕的城镇。赌徒,杀人犯,放荡的女人。