Good. What do we need?
- D2O - D2O
- D2O. - D2O.
重水?
Heavy water?
我们需要重水来启动潜在的链式反应
We need heady water for starting a potential chain reaction.
正常的水会吸收大部分中子
Normal water absorbs to much of the neutrons.
那我就给你重水
Then I will get you heavy water.
跟我来
Follow me.
问题是我们的用量只有挪威才能满足
The problem is that we need lots of it. And its only produced in Norway.
挪威有一家生产化肥的工厂
There is a factory in Norway that produces fertilisers.
主要产品是氨水 副产品是水
The main product is ammonia, the byproduct is water.
一位药剂师用它煮咖啡的时候
A chemist used it to boil coffee
发现它能在更高的温度下沸腾
and realised it boiled at higher temperatures.
因此得到了重水
The discovery of heavy water.
有多少人知道重水的用途?
How many know what one can do with heavy water?
也许法国人知道 不多
The French, maybe. Not many.
具体还有谁不清楚
I don't know any by name.
很好
Good.
1939年9月3日 第二次世界大战爆发
The Second World War breaks out on September the 3rd, 1939.
奥斯陆 挪威水电公♥司♥总部
The headquaters of Norsk Hydro, Oslo
重水 - 是的 - 德国人要吗?
- Heavy water. - Yes. -W hat are the Germans going to use that for?
用量很大 利润也很大
They want a lot, and they also pay a lot.
- 多久能交货? - 不知道
- How fast until we can deliver? - I don't know.
生产的事
I don't know if we have any.
我得问问特隆斯塔德 他是主管
I can contact Tronstad. He built the factory.
去吧
Yeah, do that.
挪威特隆赫姆技术大学
Technical University of Norway Trondheim
去吃点儿东西 半小时后见
Get yourself something to eat, then I'll see you all in half an hour.
- 亨里克森 难得一见啊 - 我来特隆赫姆办事 顺路来看看
- Henriksen, that's a sight for sore eyes. - Yeah, I was in Trondheim, thought I'd come by.
我看不是
I doubt that.
是重水的事 - 还有货吗?
- It's about the heavy water - Ok. - How much can we deliver?
- 有份大订单 - 可你8月以后就没再订过 - 好吧
- They built up their production. - And I believe you stopped the production in August. - Alright.
- 没存货? - 地下室可能有几升
- There is nothing left? - There might be a couple of litres in the basement.
- 多少钱? - 不知道 得去问伯恩
- How much? - Don't know, but talk with Brun at the factory.
恢复生产需要多久? 德国人想要
How much time will it take to resume? The Germans want it.
- 德国人? - 对
- The Germans? - Yes.
- 需要多久? - 两三个月
- How long? - Two to three months.
- 产量呢?- 每天最多一升
- How much? - Maximum one litre a day.
- 还能再高吗? - 可以 不过氨水就少了
- Can we make more? - Yes, but at the expense of the ammonia.
好 我去找伯恩聊聊
Good. I will take the rest with Brun.
不错 实验很有趣
Funny experiment by the way.
- 祝你愉快 - 你也是
- Have a good day. - You too.
挪威尤坎 韦莫克水电站
Norsk Hydro's factory at Vemork/Rjukan
- 伯恩 - 我是莱夫
- Brun. - It's Leif calling.
- 还好吗? - 有你在的话更好
- Everything good? - It was funnier when you where here.
亨里克森来了 他想要重水
Henriksen was here. He was wondering about the heavy water.
- 还想重新开工 - 是么
- He want to restart the production. - Wow?
他想问问韦莫克还剩下多少 德国人想要
He also wanted to know how much was left at Vermork. The Germans want it.
我听说法国人想要 不是德国人
I knew the French where interested, but not the Germans.
- 你了解吗? - 不太清楚
- Do you know why? - No I'm not sure.
那么,他们可以争夺我们剩下的几升
Well, then they can fight about the few litres we have left.
当一个中子引发原子裂变时
If a neutron is split from an atom, -
同时原子会释放出多个中子
then the atom will send out multiple neutrons.
这些中子中的每一个都可以分♥裂♥多个原子
Each one of these neutrons can split multiple atoms -
这使得这些原子放出更多的中子
that makes those atoms send out more neutrons -
正因如此 原子裂变的数量越来越多
and because of that creates a growing number of atom fission's.
铀越纯净 链式反应就越有效
The purer the uranium is the more effective the chain reaction is.
对不起 我看不出有什么实际用途
I'm sorry, but I really can't see any practical use for this.
当然 有一个
Well, there is one.
缓慢的链式反应会引起铀核裂变
A slow chain reaction will create a heat producing uranium machine.
但是快速的链式反应会产生高效核爆
But a fast chain reaction will create a very effective nuclear explosion.
- 有多高效? - 非常高效
- How effective? - Very effective.
非常高效?
Very effective?
这取决于我们会用到多少铀
It depends on how much uranium we are talking about, right?
比方说 100公斤
Let's say, 100 kg.
100公斤?
100 kg?
目前我只能猜测 但100公斤
At the moment I can only guess, but 100 kg can -
可能会产生双倍的效能
probably produce double the power.
如果铀235被中子击中
If U235 is hit with a neutron, -
那我们会得到铀236 释放出大量的能量
then we will get uranium 236, which releases huge amounts of energy.
然后新的中子...
And then a new neutron ...
- 2个还是3个? - 什么?
- Two or three? - What?
你画了一个中子 也许我误会了
You drew one neutron. I might be misunderstanding -
但如果是2个或3个可能更准确
but it is more correct if we talk about two or three.
数字是至关重要的
The number is crucial.
如果你允许的话...
If you will allow it, may I...
请吧
Please.
当我们讨论一个中子的时候
When we are talking about one neutron, -
那么释放的能量就没那么大了
then the energy released it not that great.
但如果是2个或3个中子产生裂变
But if it is two or three neutrons from the first split -
可以击中新的铀235核 产生裂变
can hit new U235-nucleus, which also fission -
那将出现 完全不同的画面
then we have a total different picture.
照刚才的说法 1公斤铀
To way that 1kg of uranium -
仅相当于正常炸♥药♥量的两倍
only corresponds to double the amount of normal explosives -
- 这是巨大的低估 - 可是...
- is a huge underestimation.
可以看到 一个裂变所释放的能量
Lets see. The energy released from one fission -
是179兆电子伏特
is 179 mega electron volt.
这意味着1公斤的浓缩铀产生的能量
which means that 1kg enriched uranium can produce the energy to no less -
要超过15000吨♥普通炸♥药♥
than 15,000 tonnes of normal explosives.
对不起 你能...再说一遍好吗?
I'm sorry, can you... Can you repeat that please?
15000吨♥ 两年前我就发表过了
15,000 tonnes. I already wrote about this two years ago.
这种炸♥弹♥...
This bomb ...
有可能造出来吗?
Is it possible to build it?
我只计算了理论上可以释放的能量
I only calculated the energy that theoretically could be released.
不过答案是肯定的
But the answer is: Of course.
你只需要知道如何使用这种能量
You only need to know how this kind of energy can be used.
很有前途
Very promising.
奥斯陆 挪威水电公♥司♥总部
The headquarters of Norsk Hydro, Oslo
阿利耶
Allier?
欢迎 欢迎
Welcome. Welcome.
- 幸会 - 董事会会议不是下个月才开吗
- Good to see you. - But you know the board meeting is not before next month.
是的 不过我这次来不是开会
I know, but it is not the board that sent me this time.
是受总局委派
I have been sent by the saint bureau.
据我们的消息来源 目前德国的军备计划 需要大量重水
According to our sources heavy water is devised, in the German arms program.
我们劝你改卖♥♥给法国
We propitiate you sell to France instead.
在法国 让-弗雷德里克·约里奥-居里和他夫人伊伦
In France, Jean Frédéric Joliot-Curie and his wife Irène use the heavy water -
需要重水做核反应堆中的慢化剂
as a moderator in a nuclear reactor.
- 为了创造能量? - 是的
- To create energy? - Yes.
我们不知道德国人是否另有计划 我们也不打算观望
We do not know if the Germans have other plans, we do not intend to wait and see either.
- 法国人能给多少? - 德国人能给多少?
- How much will France pay? - How much are the Germans paying?
- 用量 发货期?- 全部 立刻
- How much and how fast?? - All of it. Now.
好吧 我们成交了 等你们打赢了再付钱
Alright, we have a deal. You can pay up when you've won the war.
白♥痴♥ 为什么没人发现货装在另一架飞机上?
Idiots! Why did no one notice that it was loaded into another plane?
全便宜法国人了 少糊弄我
Everything is in France now! I will not be fooled!
绝不能给法国人 懂吗? 滚蛋!
Not by the French! Do you understand? Get out of my sight!
- 早安 - 早安
- Good morning. - Good morning.
- 没事吧 - 嗯
- Is everything all right? - Yes.
- 到货了? - 嗯 是的
- With the delivery? - Yes, yes.
出了点儿岔子 不过挪威那边很快就能解决
There were some problems, but the situation in Norway will soon be under control.
- 是么 - 是
- Oh, really? - Yes.
你要的重水会解决的 你就差这个了是吧
You will get your heavy water. That is what you need right?
当然
Naturally.
好
Good.
1940年4月9日 德国入侵挪威和丹麦
Germany invades Denmark and Norway on April the 9th, 1940
亲爱的朋友们 今天没有课了
There will be no lesson today.
你们可能听说了 德国人进城了
As you have probably heard, the Germans are in town.
科学是一门高尚的学问
Science is a noble profession.
我自己从未有过比求知更远大的抱负
I myself have never had a bigger ambition than knowing more.
10年前 我还不知道
10 years ago I did not know that neutrons carried -
中子携带的能量高达200万电子伏特
energy up to 2 million electron volt.
当我得知后 我就想 这是我所能学到的最重要的东西
And when I learned that, I thought: "This is the most important thing I will ever learn."
但是我错了 还有比这更重要的事情