剧集 | 战前37天(2014) | 导航列表
there is not a single instance
没有任何一场战争爆发前
where financiers have not panicked at the prospect of a war.
经融家是不恐慌的
Isn't that so, Crowe?
不是吗 克劳
The Peloponnesian War...
伯罗奔尼撒战争就是的
Yes, apart from the Peloponnesian War.
好吧 除掉伯罗奔尼撒战争
So, you see, Sir Walter,
所以 沃尔特爵士
I have this odd situation.
我遇到很奇怪的情况
Up in Trafalgar Square right now,
此刻在特拉法加广场
I'm being told by Keir Hardie and the Socialists
凯尔·哈迪和社♥会♥主♥义♥分子正在宣扬
that a European war would mark the end of civilisation.
一场欧洲战争会标志着文明的终结
And here I have a great banker of Threadneedle Street
而在这里 针线街上的一位伟大的银行家
telling me the same thing.
也在跟我说着同样的话
I didn't mention civilisation.
我可没提到什么文明
True enough, you didn't.
你确实没有提到
I suppose that's where the Socialists have the moral edge.
我觉得那就是社♥会♥主♥义♥分子掌握的道德高地吧
But I am not a hopeless dreamer like they are,
但我不像他们是无药可救的空想家
so, excuse me if I take offence at that.
对此我若感冒犯 还请见谅
I am giving you some practical common sense.
我是在对你说一些很实际的常识
So, you'd like me to announce to the world
所以你是想让我对世界宣告
that Great Britain can't afford to fight?
大英帝国打不起一场仗
That's your common sense?
那就是你所谓的常识吗
Now you're twisting...
你完全是在曲解...
Nothing would more readily put an end
没有任何事能比我说出这种话
to our great power status than me saying that.
更轻易终结我们的大国态势了
Have you ever seen Keir Hardie?
你见过凯尔·哈迪了吗
Are you asking me because I'm Scottish?
你问我这个 是因为我是苏格兰人吗
No, I saw him once when I was a wee boy.
不 我很小的时候其实见过他一次
My father took me to see him speak in Kirkcudbright.
当时我父亲带我去看他在柯库布里的演讲
Is your father a socialist?
你父亲是社♥会♥主♥义♥者吗
You'll have to ask him yourself, Muriel.
那你恐怕得亲自问他了 莫丽尔
'Of course, in Britain,
当然 在英国
'the socialist movement was very small, still.
社♥会♥主♥义♥运动规模还很小
'But that wasn't true here in Germany.
但在德国却并非如此
'Here they counted.
他们在这里的影响很大
The Chancellor is running a little late this morning.
宰相今天有事耽搁了
I could organise some refreshments. No, thank you.
我可以安排一些茶点 不用 谢谢
'They had power in the Reichstag.
他们在德国议会中很有分量
'If the socialist deputies decide
要是社♥会♥主♥义♥代表决定
to vote against the Imperial War Budget,
对帝国战争预算提案投反对票
'there'll be no war because there'll be no money to fight one.'
仗就打不起来 因为没有足够的资金
Why don't you just arrest all these Socialists?
你怎么不直接逮捕这些社♥会♥主♥义♥者呢
The Kaiser wouldn't mind.
皇帝陛下不会在意的
The Kaiser has personally never met a socialist,
皇帝陛下甚至都没见过社♥会♥主♥义♥者
which is a miraculous thing in itself,
这本身就很不可思议
given that there are six million of them in this country.
因为国内至少有6百万社♥会♥主♥义♥者
Even so.
那不重要
Even so?
那不重要吗
Remove their leaders and the rest will do as you want them to do.
只要消灭领袖 其他人只能听命于我们
The days of running Germany
把德国当劳♥教♥所
like a house of correction are over, Moltke.
来治理的日子已经过去了 毛奇
These men outside are not our slaves.
门外这些人不再是我们的奴隶了
They're the cream of their class,
他们都是各自阶级里的精英
and, as inconceivable as you may find it,
虽然你可能觉得不可思议
they will vote for your war credits if you reason with them.
但只要和他们讲道理 他们就会支持你
I doubt it.
我不信
They fear and detest the Tsar, as all their kind do.
他们都对沙皇又恨又怕
But they are not German patriots.
但他们并非什么爱国者
They will be when you tell them about the Cossacks.
跟他们讲讲哥萨克人的遭遇他们就会是了
Half of them are Jewish, after all.
毕竟他们半数都是犹太人
Tell me, because I really don't understand.
有件事让我很费解 想向你请教
Tell you what?
什么事
I know you don't want a war with France.
我知道你不想和法国开战
You could use these socialists to stop one. Why don't you?
你为什么不利用这些社♥会♥主♥义♥者阻止战争呢
Because the cure would be worse than the disease.
因为这疗法比疾病本身更糟糕
Can you imagine what would happen to Imperial Germany --
你能想象德意志帝国会变成什么样吗
to me, not just you --
不仅对你 也包括我
if word got out that the Socialist Democratic Party
如果消息传出去 说社♥会♥主♥义♥民♥主♥党
had a veto on our ability to make war?
对我们的战争提案进行了否决的话
I hate them, every bit as much as you hate them.
我对他们的憎恶 一点也不比你少
More, probably, because I know them.
可能甚于你 因为我很了解他们
They are disloyal, they are selfish, and they are dangerous.
他们不忠 自私 而且危险
But a war will tame them.
但是战争可以驯服他们
Eventually, with some luck,
最终 如果上帝保佑的话
it will exterminate socialism in Germany forever.
说不定能完全消灭德国的社♥会♥主♥义♥势力
Thank you so much for coming, gentlemen.
谢谢你们能来 先生们
Ambassador.
大使先生
How many of your countrymen know
你有多少同胞知道
that you secretly committed them to defending the French channel ports
你秘密承诺要保护♥法♥国的海港
from naval attack by Germany?
不受德国海军的侵犯
What you have there is, of course,
你拿的这份文件 确实
rather awkward for me at the present moment.
对眼下的我来说 相当尴尬
Yes, it is.
是的 没错
But it is in no sense a binding contract,
但那并非具有约束力的条约
just an informal arrangement we once had.
只是过去的一个非正式协议而已
An informal arrangement we once had?
过去的一个非正式协议
I cannot go one inch beyond what the Cabinet authorises.
我不能做任何未经内阁授权的事
If I do, I am gone,
那样的话 我就得下台
and that document means nothing.
而这份文件就无效了
If you do not act on our confidential agreement,
如果你不履行我们的秘密协议
you will have the German Navy
德国海军这周末就会
in the English Channel by the end of the week.
攻入英吉利海峡
And you will have to explain to your people
而你就得向你的人♥民♥解释
why there is no French Navy there to oppose them.
为什么法国海军没有前来救援
In 20 minutes, there is a meeting of the Cabinet.
20分钟后 有一场内阁会议
I will endeavour to describe...
我将尽力描述
Your obligation to France. ... the French predicament.
你对法国的义务 法国目前的困境
They've just voted.
投票结束了
We have a majority...
大多数人表示
in favour of the war credits.
支持战争
Madness.
简直疯了
They could have saved us.
他们本可以救我们免于战争的
John. Winston.
约翰 温斯顿
Lord Morley.
莫莱大人
What bombs are you young gentlemen going to throw at us today?
你们几个今天又打算丢什么重磅炸♥弹♥出来
'When you think of the great Cabinet meetings of the 20th century,
细想整个20世纪所有重要的内阁会议
'those that have been, those which are yet to come,
无论是开过的 还是即将到来的
can there ever have been one so fraught with meaning as this one?'
有哪次能比得上这一次意义重大
'Viscount Morley had first seen office in 1886
莫莱子爵1886年就入阁
'under his hero William Gladstone.
追随他的偶像威廉·格莱斯顿
'And because he opposed anything which strengthened the state
因为他反对所有加强政♥府♥力量
'against the individual, he opposed war.
遏制私权的事 所以他反对战争
'So did John Burns, on pacifist grounds.
约翰·伯恩斯也一样 他是个和平主义者
'Burns, hero of the London Dock strike of '89,
伯恩斯 89年伦敦码头罢♥工♥运动的英雄
was the first working man ever to take a seat at the Cabinet table.
也是第一个入阁的工人阶级
Was he conscious of the fact?'
他清楚状况吗
So, I told him, "I'm not the decorator, I am a legislator."
所以我跟他说 我不是个装♥修♥工 我是立法者
Was he conscious of anything else?
他心里清楚其他的情况吗
'And then there was David Lloyd George.
接下来 是大卫·劳合·乔治
'Lloyd George was the prize.'
劳合·乔治至关重要
Did you get any sense this morning of which way David is moving?
今早你有没有感觉到大卫的意向
None at all.
完全没有
'A man who made his name opposing our last war
上一次对南非波尔人的战争
'against the Boers in South Africa.'
他就因投了反对票而名声大震
We want to play this carefully. We don't want to antagonise him.
小心行事 不要引起他的抵触
He was a politician who was loved by millions of people.'
他是一位受万千子民爱戴的政客
We have, as you know,
你们应该都知道
because I have never concealed this from the Cabinet,
因为事实上我从未向内阁隐瞒过此事
certain obligations towards our French ally.
我们对盟友法国存在某些应尽的义务
Now, these obligations do not commit us to war
尽管这些义务并不意味着
simply because one of the parties to the agreement has taken up arms.
一方拿起了武器 另一方就得被迫参战
剧集 | 战前37天(2014) | 导航列表